closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: G Shock 5000 titanium..worth it?

  1. #1
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    235

    G Shock 5000 titanium..worth it?

    I'm tempted by the 5000ti..and with 20% off in some places, even more so.. however, the question is, is it worth it, over a standard 5600, or 5000 metal.. I appreciate Ti is much lighter, but at 3 times the price, is it really worth it?
    Owners opinions much appreciated

  2. #2
    Master Alansmithee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Burscough, UK
    Posts
    8,611
    How does Casio's Titanium compare to Citizen's various types ?

    I saw a thread elsewhere that casio license it but not sure if that is true...

  3. #3

    G Shock 5000 titanium..worth it?

    If you can secure a good discount I would say so. I managed 25% on this - one of the original issues. Absolute quality in every way and very light on the wrist.

    Last edited by rushroon; 28th November 2020 at 13:01.

  4. #4
    On my wrist today. Think I got 25-30% off. An all time favourite.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Craftsman leo1790's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    derby, UK
    Posts
    259
    If the original was overly heavy then I'd say yes but I think the steel is light enough as it is.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    235
    I appreciate the lightness and the material.. and I guess that's the USP..
    You won't know by looking at it, but you'll know by wearing it..

  7. #7
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,201
    Just to add my tuppence that this is a very well finished watch at a much higher price point. If you are getting a decent discount I'd do it

  8. #8
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Sunny Scotland
    Posts
    761
    The titanium feels very nice on the wrist.
    As Ryan has already said, Im also really impressed with the small details on the full metals and the titanium adds a bit more.
    If you can get with a discount then Id definitely buy one.

  9. #9
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Sunny Scotland
    Posts
    761


    Not so keen on the blue camo but wouldn’t rule it out. I think the black titanium model would be a perfect all rounder.

  10. #10
    Master PreacherCain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,759
    As a confirmed full-metal-square addict, my view is that the Ti models are definitely worth it. You can get some indication of the quality and lightness if you buy the bezel and bracelet sets separately from Casio (who are refreshingly sensible about supplying spares to end users), without committing to the full cost.

    I just got the blue camo (with a 20% black Friday discount) and IMO it is worth that level outlay in terms of the quality. The inner case and module is noticeably lighter than the steel one, and the sapphire is a nice upgrade too. The finishing is excellent, with a nice combination of polished and brushed surfaces. Finally, the DLC really is tough; I've bashed my grey camo and matte black Ti bezel sets countless times, and they are pristine. I'm sure deliberate abuse would damage them, but they've been remarkably resistant to everyday clumsiness so far.

    Combine all the above with the classic aesthetic and the rich functionality, and I think it's a winner.

  11. #11
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    235
    Thanks for all the feedback..still pondering. I do love the squares... But still think I'd want to wrap it in cotton wool..

  12. #12
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    31
    Ive always been slightly gutted I didnt pick one up new. I liked the non camo, very under the radar.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    As a confirmed full-metal-square addict, my view is that the Ti models are definitely worth it. You can get some indication of the quality and lightness if you buy the bezel and bracelet sets separately from Casio (who are refreshingly sensible about supplying spares to end users), without committing to the full cost.

    I just got the blue camo (with a 20% black Friday discount) and IMO it is worth that level outlay in terms of the quality. The inner case and module is noticeably lighter than the steel one, and the sapphire is a nice upgrade too. The finishing is excellent, with a nice combination of polished and brushed surfaces. Finally, the DLC really is tough; I've bashed my grey camo and matte black Ti bezel sets countless times, and they are pristine. I'm sure deliberate abuse would damage them, but they've been remarkably resistant to everyday clumsiness so far.

    Combine all the above with the classic aesthetic and the rich functionality, and I think it's a winner.
    Show me a watch with that quality DLC at the price point. Especially the bracelet (full ti too). That was why I bought mine, I think it's fantastic value.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post


    Not so keen on the blue camo but wouldn’t rule it out. I think the black titanium model would be a perfect all rounder.
    I just that Tron watch is there a model number? Id love the cammo titanium full metal too - traded my shiny full metal on here and they are just awesome quality


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Sunny Scotland
    Posts
    761
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    I just that Tron watch is there a model number? Id love the cammo titanium full metal too - traded my shiny full metal on here and they are just awesome quality


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They are marmite but fab....
    The model ref is GMW-B5000CS-1ER just under 700 from Casio but they were on offer for circa 550 last week by an online company. ( cw sellers??)
    I bought mine from Ryan.
    Go for it!

  16. #16
    Master PreacherCain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,759
    As another Tron fan, I second Loupe's advice. Find one!

    The coating seems to be robust and I love the way the colour of the grid lines ranges from bright, almost luminous silver-white to dark grey, depending on the light. But what can I say? I like Marmite, too...

  17. #17
    Master Qatar-wol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Doha, Qatar and Warwick, England
    Posts
    7,614
    I've got the plain, positive display model, and it owns. It's constructed to a very high quality and standard and is a great watch.


  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    As a confirmed full-metal-square addict, my view is that the Ti models are definitely worth it. You can get some indication of the quality and lightness if you buy the bezel and bracelet sets separately from Casio (who are refreshingly sensible about supplying spares to end users), without committing to the full cost.

    I just got the blue camo (with a 20% black Friday discount) and IMO it is worth that level outlay in terms of the quality. The inner case and module is noticeably lighter than the steel one, and the sapphire is a nice upgrade too. The finishing is excellent, with a nice combination of polished and brushed surfaces. Finally, the DLC really is tough; I've bashed my grey camo and matte black Ti bezel sets countless times, and they are pristine. I'm sure deliberate abuse would damage them, but they've been remarkably resistant to everyday clumsiness so far.

    Combine all the above with the classic aesthetic and the rich functionality, and I think it's a winner.
    Hi, do you have a link for the blue Camo Ti please.

  19. #19
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    swansea uk
    Posts
    1,596
    No chance, i have many Ti products and yes it is light but oh boy does it mark up and age rapidly. It goes to look rough in no time and in most cases i would pick stainless steel over it.

  20. #20
    Master PreacherCain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,759
    Quote Originally Posted by futon river crossing View Post
    Hi, do you have a link for the blue Camo Ti please.
    Here you are - Jura, use BF20 as a discount code to get the reduction.

    https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/produc...w-b5000tcf-2er

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    Here you are - Jura, use BF20 as a discount code to get the reduction.

    https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/produc...w-b5000tcf-2er
    If you talk to them, you can usually get a little more off the price than just using the code. I got an additional 6% off the Hamilton PSR.

    Every little helps!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    No chance, i have many Ti products and yes it is light but oh boy does it mark up and age rapidly. It goes to look rough in no time and in most cases i would pick stainless steel over it.
    The DLC acts as a barrier and protects the finishing. And Casios DLC is superb. Not a scratch on mine in nearly a year of ownership.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    Master PreacherCain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,759
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    The DLC acts as a barrier and protects the finishing. And Casios DLC is superb. Not a scratch on mine in nearly a year of ownership.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll add that I smacked my flat black Ti bezel, hard, with a 20kg cast-iron kettlebell this morning. It hurt my wrist quite a lot, I invented some completely new profanities, but the watch was unmarked. Stainless would at the very least have been badly scratched, as would "naked" titanium.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    If you talk to them, you can usually get a little more off the price than just using the code. I got an additional 6% off the Hamilton PSR.

    Every little helps!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes - I managed to secure an extra 6% too off the plain titanium version earlier in the year.

  25. #25
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Leics
    Posts
    6,224
    I must say I do really like these and have been tempted. But what puts me off is that the module and display are the same as you'd find in a Casio watch costing a fraction of the asking price.

    Maybe if they used the MIP LCD tech like the more recent G-Lide models, I'd find them even more appealling.

  26. #26
    Craftsman Idontgram's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    289

    G Shock 5000 titanium..worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I must say I do really like these and have been tempted. But what puts me off is that the module and display are the same as you'd find in a Casio watch costing a fraction of the asking price.

    Maybe if they used the MIP LCD tech like the more recent G-Lide models, I'd find them even more appealling.
    Completely agree. I have a GWB5600BC which has the same module as the metal square G-Shocks and cost 120 new, with a composite bracelet. I understand that the difference in price is entirely made up by the bezel and bracelet materials but I would find it difficult to justify 10x the cost for the Matt black titanium version. I really think that they ought to have kept their better modules for the higher priced watches (though I enjoy having it in mine).

    Maybe buying a black metal G is akin to buying a white gold sports watch? Its a humbler version of a pretty baller move!
    ______
    Just a quick edit to say that despite the above, I cant comment on whether its actually worth it as I have never had hands on with the titanium G-shocks. But for me, Id keep the plastic one and put the money left over into something else.
    Last edited by Idontgram; 3rd December 2020 at 13:34.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information