closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: End game?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyAFC8 View Post
    I am starting a real cull of the collection at the moment and will go down to 4 I think.

Don’t think 1 would cut it but 4 seems about right for a bit of variety.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Any more than 4 and I start to get twitchy! For me it’s the right number, a daily, a weekender/holidayer, a beater and a dress watch. G-Shock on the side.

Master
    i have brought my collection down somewhat too. the watch i see almost all the time now is my recently acquired 16700 (thanks to browners) which i absolutely love!

There is no end game, only temporary cease fire.
    Just like there are only ‘recovering alcoholics’ but no ex-alcoholics.
    You can relapse next week, next year or next decade.
    If you wear it till your last days, then you know it was the end game.

End game?

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    You seem to be dangerously close to referring to women as being the property of their husband. What year is it again?
    Where is the I-think-this-has-gone-right-over-your-head-darling emoji when you need it?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 29th November 2020 at 21:35.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Where is the I-think-this-has-gone-right-over-your-head-darling emoji when you need it?!
    Hardly. Obviously it was a joke, but in poor taste.

You seem to be dangerously close to referring to women as being the property of their husband. What year is it again?
    Relax and chill. Stop taking things so seriously. It is obviously tongue in cheek.

End game?

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    It *might* have been tongue in cheek :)
    This...

Not to mention that I never talked about wives in the main body of text.
    That has only been your interpretation, indicative of your unconscious bias perhaps?
    But that is merely my interpretation...

Last edited by notenoughwrists; 29th November 2020 at 21:55.

This...

Not to mention that I never talked about wives in the main body of text.
    That has only been your interpretation, indicative of your unconscious bias perhaps?
    But that is merely my interpretation...

You didn't talk about wives? If you're going to make the joke, at least own it!

"Like wives, watches have a shelf-life no matter him enamoured you are to begin with."

"Watches are perhaps less adaptable than a decent wife, so hopefully the latter lasts a little longer than the former in general..."

"It is (slightly) easier to flip a watch than a wife though."

I appreciate no harm was intended, but this place does come across as a bit of a boys club at times. Anyway, let's move on.

Master
    Hardly. Obviously it was a joke, but in poor taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Relax and chill. Stop taking things so seriously. It is obviously tongue in cheek.
    ^^^ This

That post was obviously in jest and hardly at the expense of anyone. Complaining its offensive and marking this forum out as a 'boys club' because of it feels like you are jumping on the outrage bus a bit too eagerly.

Master
    The main problem with WIS's is that they have an end game that changes with the weather. They buy the grail and then the very next day they have another grail, so they sell the previous grail, usually at a loss to finance buying the new one.

If you did that at work you would expect to be fired.

Simple rule is to buy your grail and call it quits. If however you do want another grail, keep grail number1 and buy grail number2 when finances permit. It's pure common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    ‘Snap’, I’ve been wearing the Yachtmaster white gold 42mm as my only watch for nine months now. Every day. These gold Yachtmasters combine the readability of any Rolex dive watch, with a slim elegance. And the Oysterflex keeps them looking unobtrusive. They’l probably never become a favourite among Rolex collectors, but that’s good in some ways. Especially as your only watch...incidentally, Note how the red writing has been removed to maintain the ‘stealth’ look. Very black indeed.
    Everything about the design emphasises the Matt black look. Even the Matt finish of the Oysterflex, all contrasted with the stark simplicity of the white gold case. Of course, these aren’t real dive watches, because of the slimness of the case they are 10atm, just like any basic Rolex . But you don’t have to own a boat either....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love the OP's Everose Gold YM, but to me the 42mm WG YM is something special.

How do you get on with the WG YM as a daily wearer? I assume the clasp picks up small scratches more easily than a steel one?

Also, did you have a long wait to get yours?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The main problem with WIS's is that they have an end game that changes with the weather. They buy the grail and then the very next day they have another grail, so they sell the previous grail, usually at a loss to finance buying the new one.

If you did that at work you would expect to be fired.

Simple rule is to buy your grail and call it quits. If however you do want another grail, keep grail number1 and buy grail number2 when finances permit. It's pure common sense.
    Quite right. Luckily this isn't a job! This is more akin to any hobby interest that costs money (cars, boats, fishing, photography). Invariably second hand values are less than retail (with some glaring exceptions). I can't afford NOT to sell watches to buy others.

As regards the white gold, for me - I feel it is too close for comfort to one I have tried already:

As far as 'end game' goes. Unless I ban myself from this forum - I just see it as a respite. Until next year then (or next month....)
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 30th November 2020 at 12:48.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Quite right. Luckily this isn't a job! This is more akin to any hobby interest that costs money (cars, boats, fishing, photography). Invariably second hand values are less than retail (with some glaring exceptions). I can't afford NOT to sell watches to buy others.

As regards the white gold, for me - I feel it is too close for comfort to one I have tried already:

As far as 'end game' goes. Unless I ban myself from this forum - I just see it as a respite. Until next year then (or next month....)
    Funnily I prefer the Omega over the Rolex - the Omega wowed me when I tried it on. Good luck with trying to ban yourself........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    I love the OP's Everose Gold YM, but to me the 42mm WG YM is something special.

How do you get on with the WG YM as a daily wearer? I assume the clasp picks up small scratches more easily than a steel one?

Also, did you have a long wait to get yours?
    Yes, the clasp gets scratched. I don’t worry about that. It can be polished come service time.The rest of the watch seems well protected, what with the ceramic bezel and slim lugs and the rubber strap. I just wear it like any other watch. It’s fine.
    As for buying, it wasn’t easy and I waited six months..then got offered two in the same week. All a bit erratic really.
    I’m very pleased with it, suits me. Which is fortunate given the cost! In the end, it’s always just a personal choice.
    Last edited by paskinner; 30th November 2020 at 14:07.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think the RG Yachtmaster is a good a place as any to stop, its my favourite non vintage Rolex and is just SO comfortable.

But, that said, we've heard all the end game stuff before.

It is (slightly) easier to flip a watch than a wife though.
    Albeit members on here seem to flip both at quite the rate.

I have to say the PM Rolex on flex are far more appealing than the stock standard subs now IMO

I’ll never afford one - but love the stealth of them

Good luck to anybody who gets to the “cure” of one watch or the “end game” ..... I personally am a non believer lol

Master

End game?

You didn't talk about wives? If you're going to make the joke, at least own it!

"Like wives, watches have a shelf-life no matter him enamoured you are to begin with."

"Watches are perhaps less adaptable than a decent wife, so hopefully the latter lasts a little longer than the former in general..."

"It is (slightly) easier to flip a watch than a wife though."

I appreciate no harm was intended, but this place does come across as a bit of a boys club at times. Anyway, let's move on.
    Jesus
    You must be fun down the pub.

(If we were allowed in)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    That post was obviously in jest and hardly at the expense of anyone. Complaining its offensive and marking this forum out as a 'boys club' because of it feels like you are jumping on the outrage bus a bit too eagerly.
    From your perspective it's at nobody's expense.

I said it can "come across as a bit of a boys club at times" - forgive me, struggling to find the outrage you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Jesus
    You must be fun down the pub.

(If we were allowed in)
    No need to call me Jesus, Mike will do

He said he didn't so I showed that he did. Seems simple enough. Not me that keeps dragging it up!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    It's the thrill of the chase, there is no such thing as a keeper.
    As close to sense as is being said on here! ;)
    I have no idea on keepers, I've recently sold a watch that was my longest owned, had just gone off wearing it.
    It is definitely the thrill of the chase though, I have been chasing a GS Spring Drive for years, have one and I love it, but the desire of finding one is gone. It's an insatiable appetite for the next best thing. Fighting it is fruitless. Only way around it is to actually lose the bug and go to one watch, I suspect!

Master

That's the same question I asked back in 2006......

......when I bought this

IMG_0095-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

The gilt eventually wore off the ginger bread I sold it 5 years later, at a profit.

My regrets are enormous.........REGRETS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
    ......when I bought this

The gilt eventually wore off the ginger bread I sold it 5 years later, at a profit.

You sold that to make a profit???? Perhaps save up and get another? KEEP IT though!

That YM is lovely Martyn and I could envisage it as a keeper.

I am not convinced it will be your end game.

However I do think that with the combination of a PP AC, with the VC and YM as everyday watches, having three or four other watches on top of that, that come and go to keep interest in the chase may be where you end up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
    ......when I bought this

I think as a community we collectively did say you would regret the sale ;)

BUT that is also the issue with many a WIS - we think too short term.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    Fighting it is fruitless. Only way around it is to actually lose the bug and go to one watch, I suspect!
    There is sanctuary to be found in Boredom, albeit temporary.

I blame the Internet.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 3rd December 2020 at 16:27.

Blog Entries
    Oh well.... that didn’t last long....

.... as much resolve of a damp squib in a chocolate factory.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Oh well.... that didn’t last long....

.... as much resolve of a damp squib in a chocolate factory.
    Remind me to ignore you next time you talk end game:-)

I keep coming back to look at this, it really is a BEAUTY.