closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End game?

Blog Entries

End game?

Well guys and girls. I think I’m done (except for selling). I seemed to have got a watch that has managed to captured my attention and kept it. Perhaps I have found my watch “wife” after so much playing the field.

This watch has not been off my wrist except for morning showers since bought from new back in mid October. I did try the 5146J for a few hours but to no avail. Here is a picture of it:

I guess it could be not getting out and about so much meaning I don’t feel I need to change watches. I haven’t sold any of my others but my rule of “if I don’t wear it sell it”, means should they be getting nervous?

Anyone else in a similar position? I think there have been some similar posts. Let’s see what 2021 brings. But maybe this is my end game position and I feel somewhat comfortable about it.

Martyn

Great looking watch and not hard to see why it could be your only watch. I've only ever bought stainless steel watches so not 'in the know' but is there a reason why you won't wear it in the shower?

Master

End game?

Pass...
    Last edited by paskinner; 27th November 2020 at 22:50.

Craftsman
    Submariner 124060 - the watch-collecting-hobby destroyer.

Master
    ‘Snap’, I’ve been wearing the Yachtmaster white gold 42mm as my only watch for nine months now. Every day. These gold Yachtmasters combine the readability of any Rolex dive watch, with a slim elegance. And the Oysterflex keeps them looking unobtrusive. They’l probably never become a favourite among Rolex collectors, but that’s good in some ways. Especially as your only watch...incidentally, Note how the red writing has been removed to maintain the ‘stealth’ look. Very black indeed.
    Everything about the design emphasises the Matt black look. Even the Matt finish of the Oysterflex, all contrasted with the stark simplicity of the white gold case. Of course, these aren’t real dive watches, because of the slimness of the case they are 10atm, just like any basic Rolex . But you don’t have to own a boat either....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 27th November 2020 at 23:04.

Master
    It certainly is very nice.

I hoped my 16750 would be the Watch to End All Watches back in 1986, in fact that was part of the justification for spending nearly £700 on it. Sadly - no.

Ah yes, the Watch to End All Watches. I have a box full of those.

Master
    There is no cure !!!

maseman

That’s a great watch Martyn - I’m glad, that for now, you’ve got a good one!

S

Master
    To me, the interesting question is whether you can have just one watch and still maintain an interest in the hobby. I suspect this forum has quite a few people who manage that. I certainly hope so.....to encourage the others.

Master
    All I’d say is enjoy your end game whilst it lasts Martyn, because one day the end game will be no more. There will be something (or many things) that intrigues you, wets your whistle and then so it begins again. And you know what? Why not? I got my grail, then I found a new one, then another. I had my perfect collection, then I didn’t. I tried reducing my collection and months later I’ve got more than I started with and even tonight I’m looking through websites at a couple of watches even though I’ve probably got the best set of watches I’ve ever had.

Unlikely for you it’s the end game, if it is great, if not, you’ll enjoy the next game I’m sure :-)

Craftsman
    Beautiful looking watch Martyn, I pick up a white gold Daytona on oysterflex next week, my first PM Rolex and am really looking forward to it. I sort of have a desire to end up with just three that I wear that cover every occasion but I struggle with that as I don't want to get rid of any I already have.

The end game is a dream many share, a couple of watches that tick all the boxes and an end to the endless buying, selling and trading. I do hope you are getting there, but as others have said something else will come along at some point and derail your whole achievement.

I got down to three and operated a one in, one out policy, but unfortunately for me buying is easier than selling, hence a few watches rotting on SC. Maybe the way to go is to sell first before buying anything else, but that sounds like wise advice from my Dad

Master
    There is no end game.
    Just an eternal purgatory of 90% perfect watches.

The end game does not exist....

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

All very Hotel California

Master
    Probably needs a year of feeling the same to say you’re cured :)

If the same position in a year, I might believe you.

Well, if it does prove to be the elusive end game, it’s a beautiful way to bow out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Great looking watch and not hard to see why it could be your only watch. I've only ever bought stainless steel watches so not 'in the know' but is there a reason why you won't wear it in the shower?
    Just so I don’t get all my soapy gunk all over it. (It’s 100m waterproof (oyster case) so quite capable in water or swimming pool.)

It’s nice but I don’t believe you. If only we had a remind-me bot like reddit to see if this is true in a year!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    It’s nice but I don’t believe you. If only we had a remind-me bot like reddit to see if this is true in a year!
    Won't need a year
    2 months should do it

The End Game is to be found in your mind not across a counter, but we all know that already!

Martyn, there is no such thing as an end game watch I'm afraid to say. I've sold everything to own an F P Journe, then 2 Journes later, sold up for a moser, then 3 mosers later bought 2 AP's..... both now sold.

Your yacht master will come and go and there will be a new 'must have'. It's the thrill of the chase, there is no such thing as a keeper.

Sorry to be negative but its a fact. I've just dived into the wonderful world of De Bethune for the first time but I know it will move on at some point.

Enjoy your yachtmaster, it is a good looking watch but there will be the next shiny thing along soon........

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    There is no end game.
    Just an eternal purgatory of 90% perfect watches.
    So true!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I’ve bought the same “end game “ watch twice now !

If you are sick enough to join a forum, the end game doesn’t exist.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Martyn, there is no such thing as an end game watch I'm afraid to say. I've sold everything to own an F P Journe, then 2 Journes later, sold up for a moser, then 3 mosers later bought 2 AP's..... both now sold.

Your yacht master will come and go and there will be a new 'must have'. It's the thrill of the chase, there is no such thing as a keeper.

Sorry to be negative but its a fact. I've just dived into the wonderful world of De Bethune for the first time but I know it will move on at some point.

Enjoy your yachtmaster, it is a good looking watch but there will be the next shiny thing along soon........
    Morning TC, I think the DB25 moon phase in RG is one of the nicest watches I have ever seen, fantastic build quality!

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Morning TC, I think the DB25 moon phase in RG is one of the nicest watches I have ever seen, fantastic build quality!
    Morning! I picked up a DB24 at a good price to dip my toe in. Wonderful watch and build quality which it should be at its RRP!

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Just so I don’t get all my soapy gunk all over it. (It’s 100m waterproof (oyster case) so quite capable in water or swimming pool.)
    I'd have shower gel all over it and wouldn't care. Btw I don't think this is the end game for you, more of a timeout. Still, nice to enjoy it while it lasts.

Give it time, still in the honeymoon period.Next will be the, oh im over you period followed by the oh im selling you for a newer more shiny model

Master
    One of the nice things about the Oysterflex is how easy it is to wash. A minute or two with a soft toothbrush and it’s like new. Much easier, I find, than a metal bracelet.

Grand Master
    Its "stuff" that happened in life that had me make some decisions about the far to many watches I had!.
    I have reduced them to where I now feel a lot happier in the knowledge the house isnt full of expensive watches!.
    But as many have said,it doesnt really end at all,it can't and won't because we have an interest in watches which we can't just turn off and become not interested!,Im chasing another SD 16600 because I regret selling mine!,the urge to re-buy is strong!,do I need it,No is the real answer,but its overcoming that urge to buy one that has to be stopped somehow.

My "End game" I have told myself will be when retirement comes(2 years)when I can't justify to myself having all the money tied up in watches,and also not wanting to leave something for someone else to have to deal with.Thats how I will end my game and be perfectly comfortable with at that time.

Well guys and girls. I think I’m done (except for selling). I seemed to have got a watch that has managed to captured my attention and kept it. Perhaps I have found my watch “wife” after so much playing the field.

Martyn
    I usually recoil from the Yachtmaster, with the so-o-o obvious bezel, but that variant is absolutely stunning! The black strap sets it off, too.

Love it!

Congratulations on your horological shanti. The Yacht-Master is just so comfy and warming to wear.

Out of my price range, but it is a really good looking watch and I bet it’s pretty comfortable on the rubber strap.

As an ‘only watch’, I’m not sure it would cover all bases for me though. I’d definitely want something in the collection slightly smaller and something with a bracelet.

Rather than reach an end game, I think most of us love the chase, pause for a bit (maybe focus less on watches and more on another hobby) then resume the cycle. I’m currently sat on a 4-watch collection (DJ41, Globemaster, Railmaster and TF Navigator) and feel quite content without flipping or chasing something else. I’ve no doubt this will change with time. I find it a bit like Inception...an idea for a watch change seems to get planted out of nowhere and gnaws away until you relent!
    Last edited by Christian; 28th November 2020 at 12:18.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Out of my price range, but it is a really good looking watch and I bet it’s pretty comfortable on the rubber strap.

As an ‘only watch’, I’m not sure it would cover all bases for me though. I’d definitely want something in the collection slightly smaller and something with a bracelet.

Rather than reach an end game, I think most of us love the chase, pause for a bit (maybe focus less on watches and more on another hobby) then resume the cycle. I’m currently sat on a 4-watch collection (DJ41, Globemaster, Railmaster and TF Navigator) and feel quite content without flipping or chasing something else. I’ve no doubt this will change with time. I find it a bit like Inception...an idea for a watch change seems to get planted out of nowhere and gnaws away until you relent!
    I guess I should clarify. Though I’ve been wearing this watch for about 6weeks straight - but of a record for me - I do have some others. Some may be sold - but I really can’t see a need to buy others. As someone asked.

my go to 3 watch set is now:

Rolex 126655 YM Rose Gold
    Patek Philippe 5146J Yellow Gold annual calendar
    Vacheron Constantine 4500V steel overseas in blue with two straps and bracelet combo.

the others (apart from my little air-king-date) - who knows. But I know things may change. There could be others - hard to beat the 3 set though

Really stunning watch that, great all rounder. I’d never give much thought to, or known much about the YM until coincidently the Urban Gentry guy did a vid that landed in my feed the other day, giving the back story and a review

https://youtu.be/RkUr8EbVEUo

The model you have is by far the nicest.

Regards end game, not had that feeling so far. I’m saving for an Aqua Terra, black dial 38mm for mid 2021. That’ll be a big purchase for me and I’m kind of hoping it’ll be my ‘one’, that I can happily wear each day and pass on to my lad eventually. We will see I guess.

Congrats on the YM, it’s ace👍

I so often see various commonplace and mundane Rolexes touted as "grail" and "end-game" watches, and look-on in uncomprehending bemusement - but these red or white gold ceramic bezel Yachtmaster models really are something special: I love the looks, and I love the understated presentation (this is all relative, natch), they look so damn good on the rubber - it's all about the contrasts for me. Plus, Rolex branding aside, this is a watch you have to be in-the-know to "get". Well above my pay-grade, but I love to see 'em out there being enjoyed

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    To me, the interesting question is whether you can have just one watch and still maintain an interest in the hobby. I suspect this forum has quite a few people who manage that. I certainly hope so.....to encourage the others.
    I now wear a Fenix 6 but that in no way diminishes my interest in watches and this community.

I guess I should clarify. Though I’ve been wearing this watch for about 6weeks straight - but of a record for me - I do have some others. Some may be sold - but I really can’t see a need to buy others. As someone asked.

Vacheron Constantine 4500V steel overseas in blue with two straps and bracelet combo.

the others (apart from my little air-king-date) - who knows. But I know things may change. There could be others - hard to beat the 3 set though
    Ah..didn't realise...sounds like you have all bases covered then! Great collection!

Master
    I don't know how people stick to one watch and be happy. I'm down to 2 now and I'm still constantly on here thinking about my next watch. I think deleting my account is the only way!

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Sounds like an unstoppable trio.

Who knows what the future may bring, but I'd try very hard to sit back and enjoy that set without thinking about purchases for a good long while, because it may never get better than that! Sounds like that's exactly what you intend to do

Master
    It is a very very appealing watch, very nice indeed

Worthy of hanging up your watch straps in my opinion. Enjoy!

End game?

Like wives, watches have a shelf-life no matter him enamoured you are to begin with.

You’ will get to a point where you realise it functions as it is supposed to, as it always has, but you certainly do not feel as you did during those first few months/years of ownership.
    It might not have changed at all, but you may well have.
    Not it’s fault but you are where you are. Stuck looking at it every day - with indifference at best, with resentment at worst.

Then you start “looking about...” and it’s downhill from there.
    (Although sometimes a quick foray into something different, something exotic perhaps, and it can end up relighting that fire for your old one.)

Watches are perhaps less adaptable than a decent wife, so hopefully the latter lasts a little longer than the former in general...

It is (slightly) easier to flip a watch than a wife though. So do not lose any sleep about it - and love them both right now, so far as you are able.

Last edited by notenoughwrists; 29th November 2020 at 15:06.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Like wives, watches have a shelf-life no matter him enamoured you are to begin with.

You’ll get to a point where you realise it functions as it is supposed to, but you certainly don’t feel like you did that first few months/years of ownership.
    It might not have changed at all, but you may well have. Not it’s fault but you are where you are. Stuck looking at it every day with indifference at best, with resentment at worst.

Than you start “looking about” and it’s downhill from there.
    (Although sometimes a quick foray into something different, exotic perhaps, and it can relight that fire for your old one.)

Ha ha!
    Watches are perhaps less adaptable than a decent wife, so hopefully the latter lasts a little longer than the former in general...

It is (slightly) easier to flip a watch than a wife though. So don’t lose any sleep about it and love them both right now, so far as you are able.

Ha ha...great post!

Heh, if you're happy with just one watch (any watch), good for you.

While I could quite easily go back to owning just one (probably any one) of my watches, I like the variety and rarely keep any one on for more than 3 or 4 days.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I am starting a real cull of the collection at the moment and will go down to 4 I think.

Don’t think 1 would cut it but 4 seems about right for a bit of variety.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post

You’ will get to a point where you realise it functions as it is supposed to, as it always has, but you certainly do not feel as you did during those first few months/years of ownership.
    It might not have changed at all, but you may well have.
    Not it’s fault but you are where you are. Stuck looking at it every day - with indifference at best, with resentment at worst.

Then you start “looking about...” and it’s downhill from there.
    (Although sometimes a quick foray into something different, something exotic perhaps, and it can end up relighting that fire for your old one.)

It is (slightly) easier to flip a watch than a wife though. So do not lose any sleep about it - and love them both right now, so far as you are able.

You seem to be dangerously close to referring to women as being the property of their husband. What year is it again?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    You seem to be dangerously close to referring to women as being the property of their husband. What year is it again?
    It *might* have been tongue in cheek :)