closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cataloging a collection

Craftsman

Cataloging a collection

My dad has a collection of around 400 miniature whiskies and now with the weather turning and he can’t spend time in his garden, I was going to suggest he catalogues this over the winter to keep him busy. He just has an old typed up list from about 15 years ago.

He is late 70’s and not that tech savvy but can work his away around basic searches, can run his emails and manages to order ok from Amazon! I have been looking for a suitable app or cataloguing tool that I could maybe help get him going with. A lot seem to be either geared towards cataloguing media or for multi collections.

I envisage him just talking a photo and being able to enter name, distillery and X yr old. Keen to hear from anyone that has experience of using a good, simple one where you can customise the data categories. Stamp collectors, or anything of similar volume maybe?

I use Excel to catalogue my watch collection. Photos, dates, price, spec, notes, etc.

Happy to email you a copy of it so you can see if it might be suitable for your Dad, although I don't have anything like 400 watches (despite what my wife thinks!)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I have used Cardbox (https://www.cardbox.com/) to create a database for my watch collection. It's free, and although non-relational it is good enough for relatively simple cataloguing. It would require some work to set up the database schema and design the data entry screens in the first instance, though.

Is it possible that a spreadsheet like Excel would be sufficient? You can embed images if he wants to include photographs of the whisk(e)y bottles.

Master
    I use ‘Recollector’ app.

It’s pretty basic but does it all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Is it possible that a spreadsheet like Excel would be sufficient? You can embed images if he wants to include photographs of the whisk(e)y bottles.
    That would work well I think, simple to use and more than sophisticated enough for the described application. I'd use Google Sheets, which also supports embedded images. You can download a local copy from there for offline use.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    I use Excel to catalogue my watch collection. Photos, dates, price, spec, notes, etc.

Happy to email you a copy of it so you can see if it might be suitable for your Dad, although I don't have anything like 400 watches (despite what my wife thinks!)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    I never considered Excel because of the photo element but guess it can be embedded. I'll drop you a PM with my email. Very kind of you to share so I'm not starting from scratch. thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I use ‘Recollector’ app.

It’s pretty basic but does it all.
    I'll have a look at this too - thanks.