closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone on here converted a van into a camper van?

Anyone on here converted a van into a camper van?

After having had two holidays this year cancelled and thankfully refunded as a result of COVID I’ve decided that staying a little closer to home is probably the best plan for the next couple of years.

During the pandemic, whilst sitting at home without huge amounts to do during lockdown I became a little obsessed with people selling all their worldly possessions to live in vans/ containers/ boats etc on YouTube.

Whilst I’m not wanting to go full time in a van, I think that the option of having a camper which can be used at weekends and for longer trips would be great. I have 4 and 6 year old boys and I think that they would really enjoy packing up the van and going mountain biking etc.

I live within 2 hours of the Lake District, Peaks, North Yorks and North Wales so I think there will be plenty to do.

Taking the £8k that I’ve been refunded in holidays I have bought a bright yellow VW Crafter LWB Minibus and my plan is to convert it into a 4 berth camper with all the amenities for comfortable family trips.

Insurance was surprisingly cheap at £300 for the year fully comp on a camper conversion policy and the build will commence at Christmas once the van has been serviced and the body work touched up to take it back to A1.

Has anyone else ever done something similar? Am I I crazy? Will it be an absolute money pit?

Advice is most welcome and if anyone fancies following the build I have started an Instagram page called minibuzzadventures to document the process.

There are quite a few videos on YouTube of people doing conversions.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Search for Greg Virgoe on YouTube - he has a series of videos which cover everything.

We converted a VW T6 ourselves, and are thinking about doing a Crafter or Sprinter next.

PM me if you want to know more.

Pete

Master
    Blog Entries
    I used to. Midos Conversions if you’re interested.
    To be fair, it was my old man that did the conversions, I used to source the vans and sell the end product.

I assume you know about the recent changes where to be reclassed as a camper on the V5 it has to have a fuller spec. of high roof and awning etc? Kinda killed the ‘stealth van’ concept unless you’re happy to do commercial Class 7 MOTs and means 50mph max on a single carriageway and 60mph max on a dualler/motorway (iirc).

I’ve wanted to do one for the past four years!

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    I assume you know about the recent changes where to be reclassed as a camper on the V5 it has to have a fuller spec. of high roof and awning etc? Kinda killed the ‘stealth van’ concept unless you’re happy to do commercial Class 7 MOTs and means 50mph max on a single carriageway and 60mph max on a dualler/motorway (iirc).

I’ve wanted to do one for the past four years!
    Yup, I've seen that the dvla have been a bit inconsistent in recent times about allowing the conversion to be ratified on the V5. The bus I've bought has a high roof already and I also plan to go go the whole hog regarding shower, toilet etc internally.

I'm planning on an awning and graphics externally to satisfy the requirements as stealth will never be possible due to it being a great big yellow minibus :)

I'm looking forward to getting cracking.

@ptcoll, The Greg Virgoe is suggestion is great, that should give me plenty to digest as I'm finishing off the plans.

Nice one

When I get around to it will definitely be a stealth van and accept the restrictions, aiming for more of a mobile office to escape the house!

Sounds like a great project, make sure you do a build thread with plenty of pics on here!