closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 151 to 200 of 211

Thread: Fakes / Replicas

  1. #151
    It is possible he bought a couple of fakes/replicas and made half hearted attempts to pass them off as original in threads.
    He didn’t try to sell them here as genuine and most of us can all look past this transgression. This post and all the virtue signalling is where he put himself in trouble. May be working his way past some internal turmoil/conflict about fakes which led to this thread. I very much doubt if the relatively inexpensive stuff he sells/trades on SC is not genuine.
    Personally I would give him a break as long as he doesn’t post anymore fakes here.

  2. #152
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Oh, really? Do you know him?
    Not personally but my dad worked with him quite a lot, he was a cameraman on the first few series of Bargain Hunt. Apparently he was lovely, always had time to chat to the crew (something relatively rare among ‘stars’) and had a cool catchphrase - when he was done for the day he’d catch the attention of his driver and say “Martin - start the car”

    I very much trust my dad’s judgement of people and so if he says Dickinson is a good egg, so be it!

    I’m trying to think of other people he worked with who were nice. Bob Monkhouse was apparently brilliant too.

  3. #153
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    32,445
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Yes, I did - about ten years ago, I think. I wanted to see if anyone noticed that it wasn't real. It didn't arouse the slightest suspicion or negative comment, despite being a pretty good photo of a fairly inexpensive watch (about Ł90 if memory serves). And if I hadn't stated that it was a replica (a day or two later I think) I doubt that the slightest controversy would have been provoked.

    I think that would probably be the case for the OP too, if he hadn't started this thread.

    Interesting experiment. Well remembered!
    Interesting? An “experiment”?

    Save for demonstrating that people don’t pay much attention to photos in the Friday thread why do you think it’s interesting? Perhaps because members here can be easily duped, which is precisely why we take such a strong line against fakes, without exception.

    Are the majority of members here even aware that you both wear and defend them, I wonder?
    Last edited by learningtofly; 29th November 2020 at 08:46.

  4. #154
    Grand Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    11,183
    They know now

  5. #155
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    27,467
    Old news, innit.

    Same as the homophobia on display.
    #plantpot

  6. #156
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    32,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Old news, innit.

    Same as the homophobia on display.
    Funny you should say that because a rather nasty post from "our friend across the pond", together with my reply, seems to have disappeared.

  7. #157
    Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    9,838
    I know he enjoys writing pithy, arse-licking commendations for the current government and its greasy associates, but had no idea he was also a faker shaker. Makes sense though.

  8. #158
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    3,263
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Funny you should say that because a rather nasty post from "our friend across the pond", together with my reply, seems to have disappeared.
    Aye, I noticed that little exchange. He’s a deeply unpleasant person and something of a troll, but that now deleted post was reprehensible even by his standards. He referred to TMS as “it”.

  9. #159
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    32,445
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Aye, I noticed that little exchange. He’s a deeply unpleasant person and something of a troll, but that now deleted post was reprehensible even by his standards. He referred to TMS as “it”.
    Yes, it was vile even by his standards. Strange that the two posts have disappeared, though - that doesn't happen here very often.

  10. #160
    Master Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,335
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    It is possible he bought a couple of fakes/replicas and made half hearted attempts to pass them off as original in threads.
    He didn’t try to sell them here as genuine and most of us can all look past this transgression. This post and all the virtue signalling is where he put himself in trouble. May be working his way past some internal turmoil/conflict about fakes which led to this thread. I very much doubt if the relatively inexpensive stuff he sells/trades on SC is not genuine.
    Personally I would give him a break as long as he doesn’t post anymore fakes here.
    We've previously forgiven 10,000+ post members on here actually selling fakes after they came clean and asked for forgiveness, so I don't see why he wouldn't be treated differently. Fake posters like TMS chose to disappear. Even with the WG Sub drama, she didn't attempt to actually scam anyone so if she had stuck around, members would be wary but I doubt she would have been completely ostracised.

  11. #161
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    We've previously forgiven 10,000+ post members on here actually selling fakes after they came clean and asked for forgiveness, so I don't see why he wouldn't be treated differently. Fake posters like TMS chose to disappear. Even with the WG Sub drama, she didn't attempt to actually scam anyone so if she had stuck around, members would be wary but I doubt she would have been completely ostracised.
    Really, do tell who?

  12. #162
    Master Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,335
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Really, do tell who?
    Not worth raking over old ground, just making the point that in my experience the community is forgiving for people making errors of judgement and generally those that disappear do so of their own choosing.

  13. #163
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    That TieMiShu episode was ace. I’d been a member leas than a year, and he (she?) was a regular and respected contributor.

    Was an absolute car-crash to see it all unfold. Great soap opera stuff.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ohhh... fun! Link?

  14. #164
    Master Papa Hotel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Not Edinburgh
    Posts
    6,051
    Quote Originally Posted by davidzet View Post
    Ohhh... fun! Link?
    It's been linked to. You won't be able to see it anyway.

  15. #165
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    75

    Unhappy Damn

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    It's been linked to. You won't be able to see it anyway.
    Sad.

    Now I have to make a few more insightful comments ;)

    Here's the link to those with Gold Card status ;)

  16. #166
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    27,467
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Funny you should say that because a rather nasty post from "our friend across the pond", together with my reply, seems to have disappeared.
    It was his post I was referring to.

    We need to have tolerance, he suffered a catastrophic loss recently.
    #plantpot

  17. #167
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    32,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    It was his post I was referring to.

    We need to have tolerance, he suffered a catastrophic loss recently.
    Hah!

  18. #168
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    25,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    It was his post I was referring to.

    We need to have tolerance, he suffered a catastrophic loss recently.
    Who is this "friend across the pond" Raffe?

    Pm if you like.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  19. #169
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    32,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Who is this "friend across the pond" Raffe?

    Pm if you like.
    That'll be JK103 and the "catastrophic loss" was no doubt a reference to the US election.

    He posted referring to TMS as a "tranny" and "it". Vile piece of work.

  20. #170
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down south jukin
    Posts
    3,838
    Blog Entries
    1
    I had never realy come across even the mention of fake watches before I had an interest watches grow on me,now they seem to be everywhere.

    As a watch was just something to tell the time then I had no interest in impressing anyone with something that looks like a Rolex anyway,even if I knew where to get one.

    Now the very thought of owning a fake even by accident doesn't feel good,I wouldn't buy one for any reason,like cheating in a race you know its not really the real deal,you are only kidding yourself.


    I did maybe 30 years ago buy a pair of cheap sunglasses in a sunny beach resort abroad from a rack amongst the flip flops and buckets.
    The name was spelt in a way that almost looked like Ray Bans but obviously wasn't Ray Bans.
    The only reason I bought them was I had lost mine and the sun was burning my eyes,nowhere else to buy a pair.
    They where so poor optically when I got home I threw them away and got a better pair,would that be considered a fake?

  21. #171
    Master Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,335
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I did maybe 30 years ago buy a pair of cheap sunglasses in a sunny beach resort abroad from a rack amongst the flip flops and buckets.
    The name was spelt in a way that almost looked like Ray Bans but obviously wasn't Ray Bans.
    The only reason I bought them was I had lost mine and the sun was burning my eyes,nowhere else to buy a pair.
    They where so poor optically when I got home I threw them away and got a better pair,would that be considered a fake?
    Those kind of sunglasses do more damage to your eyes than not wearing them because they probably had no UV filter but still opened your iris up to allow more damaging rays into your eyeballs.

  22. #172
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    10,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Those kind of sunglasses do more damage to your eyes than not wearing them because they probably had no UV filter but still opened your iris up to allow more damaging rays into your eyeballs.
    This is true. No sunglasses are usually safer than cheap knock offs on tourist destinations.

  23. #173
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down south jukin
    Posts
    3,838
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Those kind of sunglasses do more damage to your eyes than not wearing them because they probably had no UV filter but still opened your iris up to allow more damaging rays into your eyeballs.
    You are probably correct they weren't much use.

  24. #174
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down south jukin
    Posts
    3,838
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    This is true. No sunglasses are usually safer than cheap knock offs on tourist destinations.
    they didn't say ray bans just similar script different name no idea of the style,is that a fake?

  25. #175
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    they didn't say ray bans just similar script different name no idea of the style,is that a fake?
    Very obviously not, they are not branded the same! And as above really bad for your eyes none the less.

  26. #176
    Master M1011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    1,242
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    they didn't say ray bans just similar script different name no idea of the style,is that a fake?
    I believe they call that a homage

  27. #177
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,088
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Hah!
    I didn't lose anything Raffe and Tony I am not your friend I'm just across the "pond" from you is all and a lot of us still remember your beginnings here.

  28. #178
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    3,908
    With regard to the original post:
    I couldn't wear a replica or homage that is a fake, by that I mean a replica with an actual brand name on it. Homages that have correct branding are different.
    I'd Sooner buy what I can afford but is the real thing.
    For instance I'd feel a lot better wearing a Seiko Monster than a fake Rolex, or a G Shock rather than a fake Rolex.
    People who know watches will respect what you have on.

  29. #179
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    27,467
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    I didn't lose anything Raffe and Tony I am not your friend I'm just across the "pond" from you is all and a lot of us still remember your beginnings here.
    There is a number of us desperately waiting for your contributions in the Trump thread. We need your first-hand perspective to understand what's happening 'across the pond'.
    #plantpot

  30. #180
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    14,998
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    There is a number of us desperately waiting for your contributions in the Trump thread. We need your first-hand perspective to understand what's happening 'across the pond'.
    Hear, hear, we were promised despondency and yet so much winning keeps happening, it's quite wearisome, musht be shome mishtake

  31. #181
    Master bobbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Cossethay, England
    Posts
    8,142
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    I didn't lose anything Raffe and Tony I am not your friend I'm just across the "pond" from you is all and a lot of us still remember your beginnings here.
    You have lost quite a bit of credibility here, with your vile homophobia.

  32. #182
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,789
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    You have lost quite a bit of credibility here, with your vile homophobia.
    On the flip side, he has provided some great opportunities for flagrant virtue signalling.

  33. #183
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    32,445
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    On the flip side, he has provided some great opportunities for flagrant virtue signalling.
    Stupid comment.

  34. #184
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,789
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Stupid comment.
    Your outrage is noted. Thanks :)

  35. #185
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    32,445
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Your outrage is noted. Thanks :)
    I'm not outraged at all. Your comment was stupid, but then again it's very easy to throw in a little passive/aggressive grenade and then sit smugly back, isn't it?

    Do you have principles that you defend when necessary, Adrian?

  36. #186
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North
    Posts
    16,347
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    You have lost quite a bit of credibility here, with your vile homophobia.
    Transphobia, not homophobia

    Brought to you with thanks from the "dont drag the gays into this" department. ;)

  37. #187
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    32,445
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Transphobia, not homophobia

    Brought to you with thanks from the "dont drag the gays into this" department. ;)
    I'm sure they all go into the same bigotry pot.

  38. #188
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North
    Posts
    16,347
    Blog Entries
    2
    Not particularly, no.
    But im sure WT isnt the place to be discussing the intricacies.

  39. #189
    Grand Master SimonK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    18,965
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

    Do you have principles that you defend when necessary, Adrian?
    "I have my principles, and if you don't like 'em, I have others."

    Groucho Marx.

  40. #190
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    32,445
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Not particularly, no.
    But im sure WT isnt the place to be discussing the intricacies.
    I'm talking about JK103's bigotry pot. I'm aware of the intricacies in the real world.

  41. #191
    I like watches

  42. #192
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,789
    Of course I have principles, but I don't feel the need to visibly rush to the defence of someone who 1) isnt asking for it 2) isn't here 3) doesnt need it, just to virtue signal how outraged I am that someone else used the term 'tr***y' about another third party on a bloody internet forum in watch talk.

  43. #193
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    27,467
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Transphobia, not homophobia

    Brought to you with thanks from the "dont drag the gays into this" department. ;)
    Duly noted.

  44. #194
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    32,445
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Of course I have principles, but I don't feel the need to visibly rush to the defence of someone who 1) isnt asking for it 2) isn't here 3) doesnt need it, just to virtue signal how outraged I am that someone else used the term 'tr***y' about another third party on a bloody internet forum in watch talk.
    What you're doing now is effectively no different. In any event, I'm glad that I understand your character a little better now.

  45. #195
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    27,467
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Of course I have principles, but I don't feel the need to visibly rush to the defence of someone who 1) isnt asking for it 2) isn't here 3) doesnt need it, just to virtue signal how outraged I am that someone else used the term 'tr***y' about another third party on a bloody internet forum in watch talk.
    First they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a socialist.

    Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out— because I was not a trade unionist.

    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew.

    Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
    #plantpot

  46. #196
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down south jukin
    Posts
    3,838
    Blog Entries
    1
    the language we are allowed to use or should use can get confusing.

    on a Clash site I am on a Pakistani man sitting on the steps in Camden where the first Clash album photo was taken wrote this.



    "Do not sit on the stairs'. I'm a proud Clash Paki until I die. Great this group kicks all the racists into touch".



    Be aware Clash fans are vehemently left wing to a fault and bang on about politics a lot.
    Last edited by bwest76; 30th November 2020 at 17:15. Reason: quotation marks added and clarity I hope.

  47. #197
    Master Papa Hotel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Not Edinburgh
    Posts
    6,051
    Soapy, what the f**k are you talking about?

  48. #198
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    it can get confusing.
    .
    Very.
    No idea what you are on about.

  49. #199
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    10,524
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    it can get confusing.
    It really can

  50. #200
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    5,292
    Has Covid or a change in the water done something to this membership? Threads now seem to steer wildly off topic..

    We've had disgruntled watch servicing morph into what condiments that go well with fish and chips, and now some double jeopardy/reverse psychology of a fake hooky Rolex to gay/transgender mud slinging??

    Makes interesting reading but for some its probabley best to stay on topic..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information