closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Have Barbers & Hairdressers gone underground ? :)

Have Barbers & Hairdressers gone underground ? :)

I haven't been to the Barbers for over a year since they where shut down because of covid, my daughter does mine for me but only takes her a couple of minutes, not much to trim :(

Today I was up our local shopping center and there are three Barbers/Hairdressers within a few minutes of each other and all shut obviously but I noticed the hair especially on guys and lads that in general all had there hair cut and some had really fancy cuts which I can't imagine mum or partner had done (perhaps some had).

I miss my Barber, she is good.

Master
    Most old men have crewcuts and the wife can easily run some clippers over them in less than a minute and I suspect now that they have the clippers in their possession, they will continue to use them. Not good news for the Barbers.

I have a good thick head of hair which I have let grow to about 12" long. Also it has grown quite a bit at the back. very much like William Hartnell in Doctor Who. About six months ago I decided to grow a beard along with a handlebar moustache and I will probably keep it all. Again not good news for the Barbers.

I keep in touch with my friends on Zoom and quite a few have let their hair grow out past the "awkward stage" and most of them reckon that they are in no rush to visit a Barber.

There are two types of barber & hairdresser at the moment, those that are working from home, and those that are working in someone else’s home.

Most are self employed and used to relying on a bit of cash. Many have fallen through the Furlough gap so it’s either starve the kids or shorten some hair.

Master
    Over here (NI) the hair dressers and barbers are getting £800 a week grant from govt, on top of the SEISS grants

And still doing home cuts

Never had it so good
    Last edited by demonloop; 1st April 2021 at 07:44.

I have let my hair grow this time and a mullet is on the way, I’ll probably get it cut but it’s quite nice having something different..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Over here (NI) the hair dressers and barbers are getting £800 a week grant from govt

Never had it so good
    41.5K a year grant? Are you sure you have those figures right?

I for one can’t believe how much a person is prepared to pay for a black market trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    41.5K a year grant? Are you sure you have those figures right?
    No I had it slightly wrong, it's £600 a week plus an additional payment taking it to around £800

This is on top of the SEISS grant from UK govt, a 12 month rates holiday (worth about £1000)

And there is talk from NI govt of an additional £5000 coming for all rate-paying businesses on top of the £10000 given out last March

Eligible businesses will receive a taxable grant equivalent to £600 for each week the initial Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (No.2) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2020 are in place.

Successful applicants to Part A of the CRBSS will automatically receive an additional payment to cover the extended period of restrictions while they are required to stay closed. There is no need to reapply for this additional payment

Sauce: https://www.nibusinessinfo.co.uk/con...rt-scheme-part
    Last edited by demonloop; 1st April 2021 at 08:18.

Those figures are presumably per business, not per person, so assuming most hairdressers and barbers have 3-7 staff then it doesn’t look so great, even with those employees on furlough. Add in utilities while the shop is closed. And presumably their income will be halved due to restrictions when they do open.

I personally don’t think it looks that rosy for them.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    There are two types of barber & hairdresser at the moment, those that are working from home, and those that are working in someone else’s home.

Most are self employed and used to relying on a bit of cash. Many have fallen through the Furlough gap so it’s either starve the kids or shorten some hair.
    There is also another type, those that obey the rules. Two of my daughters have a salon and if it wasn’t for the grants, they’d have chug guan by now. One daughter is home and in her room all day whilst the other (a nail tech) does online training in order to pay the bills. Neither have worked on any customers during lockdown.

Over here (NI) the hair dressers and barbers are getting £800 a week grant from govt, on top of the SEISS grants

Never had it so good
    See above, it’s been a real struggle for both of them and they’re certainly not getting £800 per week. Their furlough payments are around £200 per week.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Those figures are presumably per business, not per person, so assuming most hairdressers and barbers have 3-7 staff then it doesn’t look so great, even with those employees on furlough. Add in utilities while the shop is closed. And presumably their income will be halved due to restrictions when they do open.

I personally don’t think it looks that rosy for them.
    Its payable to the business owner. Business rates are zero, electric will be next to zero, mine doesn't have Wifi or a landline

My barber, and most of those local to me, are one man bands. Maybe an extra guy in at the weekend if it's busy

I can only speak for my own barber, but he told me it's like Christmas week, every week
    Last edited by demonloop; 1st April 2021 at 08:34.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

See above, it’s been a real struggle for both of them and they’re certainly not getting £800 per week. Their furlough payments are around £200 per week.
    Yes, in NI they are

On top of the extras I detailed above

They're not on furlough

Yes, in NI they are

On top of the extras I detailed above

They're not on furlough
    It’s not that good in England; the business receives a grant but only just enough to keep from going under. Which is not a complaint, it’s been gratefully received and will allow them to restart their business once this is all over. It’s doing exactly what it needs to do.

It wasn’t your comment but the statement that everyone in the hair and beauty business are quids in is just false, it’s a real struggle for many.

You can go in the back way😂