closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this worthy of a villain thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    This
    Otherwise I’m avoiding all NI members just incase it’s him
    Yeah... Name and shame so I'm not tarred with THAT brush!

Craftsman
    Definitely worth a time waster post - it doesn’t have to as binary as hero or villain, flagging an issue with a difficult buyers or sellers is welcome. If you recount your experience then forum members can make up their own minds if they want to deal with them.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Time waster. I would post an appropriate thread.
    Regarding the scamming aspect....it’s a possibility and if you sent pictures via whatsapp I would delete them immediately. Admittedly they may already have been copied but it’s worth doing it anyway.

It’s all been said but I’ve never sold anything via SC and this is one reason why.

Definitely worth a H&V post of some kind, even if it’s just so I can avoid this utter time wasting and possibly a bit devious buyer, should I ever decide to dip my toes into the selling world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll throw in another vote for a "timewaster" thread on H&V (not that this is in any way an exercise in democracy, obv) - I'm something of a serial flipper and so far in my years here have had the pleasure of buying from and selling to pleasant, friendly, honest folks, without any issue. Part of the reason for that is the feedback available on H&V, and once or twice I have decided not to proceed with a transaction on the strength of what I've found in there.

This character sounds like a timewasting pain in the hoop at best, and a scammer at worst, IMO.

Master
    I would have almost certainly cut the deal off at point number 8 and would have reminded him that he is buying a watch, not the Taj Mahal. His sort are just not worth the bother.

Question for the OP: did you have a good deal or a bad deal?

Forum: Heroes and Villains

Good deals, bad deals, request dealer testimonials
    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Question for the OP: did you have a good deal or a bad deal?

R
    No deal ;)

Master
    Personally I’d appreciate knowing the name if only to apply more caution.

As stated above, I’d be a little concerned about a scam as the behaviour is consistent with a man in the middle fraud. Hope it’s not, but if you could post the photos you sent they can be image searched and t heir reuse identified.

Perhaps a new rating of ‘meh..’ is called for.

Thanks for all the replies. I would agree that off forum a deal isn't done till payment received however here I would say we operate a gentlemen's agreement. I could have walked away but I had agreed a deal and committed to it. I will place a thread in H/V and link it to here

Total time waster. As someone said I think you dodged a bullet.
    I totally understand people wanting to be sure there getting what they want but you went above and beyond for the guy.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Yep. Time waster who I would not want to deal with. Dodged a bullet if you ask me. Thanks for posting.

(i) OP has way more patience than I have

(ii) 'Buyer' is a complete t***

Not a villian, but by god extremely tedious.

All the above is why I won't distant sell unless I REALLY know the guy, I would rather sell at a considerable loss at the likes of a watch fair (when open) than go through the real stress of distant selling, watch guys can be strange and HARD work.

I’m betting this isn’t the first time they’ve wasted someone’s time on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    I’m betting this isn’t the first time they’ve wasted someone’s time on the forum.
    Would have thought it would have manifested before now. He’s been a member for nigh on 20 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    This
    Otherwise I’m avoiding all NI members just in case it’s him
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Yeah... Name and shame so I'm not tarred with THAT brush!
    I also don’t want to be tarred with that brush, so for clarity this wasn’t me 😀. Sounds like you do have a lot of patience OP.

Craftsman
    I think I would of given up on the sale before buying The Sun !!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Would have thought it would have manifested before now. He’s been a member for nigh on 20 years!
    Sounds like you have an idea who it is? Do share

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Sounds like you have an idea who it is? Do share
    It’s on H&V now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    It’s on H&V now.
    Ah ok... thanks

Yes, sorry. I was merely speculating and wasn’t aware that the potential buyer had been highlighted in the H&V thread.

Apologies to the member concerned.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I just read this on watch talk and had a laugh not only at the OP but to my surprise other members. There are two sides to every coin. I have been a member of the forum for quite some and never had toys from a pram thrown at me ever, here or any other forum. It’s my money, and I buy the seller and not the watch. When you don’t have trust Jack this translates and undermines the buyer trust and deal.
    We had a deal for 5300 and this was agreed. The money would be with you now as promised but you did not trust me. I asked for the usual stuff....not more than usual when buying from a stranger.
    When I was finally confident to send you my money and then wait for a watch to arrive. I asked you to insure the watch for 5000 not reduce your value. As, for asking for a easy available tabloid papers, that was to make it easy for you to source .......my gut instinct today was correct. Instead of learning to never undermine a buyer trust you jumped up and down. If you have it in you post my final reply and paper the request along with everything else.
    I hope you all the best with your future sells on the forum.

All the best,
    M

He wanted it insured for the correct value of 5300. Why would that make you not trust him. Bizarre.

Grand Master
    Maybe it would’ve been wise to talk to each other?

Why don’t people discuss these things by phone instead of playing e-mail or text tennis?

My guess is that both buyer and seller were credible but they didn’t establish the necessary rapport and mutual trust to do the deal, that’s a communication problem in my view.

Having said that, the only way to appraise a vintage watch properly is by handling it and seeing it in the flesh, relying on photos will always carry an element of risk. People forget this, watches are not commodity items and no two are identical.

No your guess is bad. The buyer wanted the watch insured for less than the sales value: it’s an insurance cop out, i.e. a reason for them not to pay. The seller pointed it out, and the buyer folded.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Why don’t people discuss these things by phone instead of playing e-mail or text tennis?
    1) paper trail

2) people who like to talk on the phones are massive weirdos (and usually 60+) that make everyone else uncomfortable

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    No your guess is bad. The buyer wanted the watch insured for less than the sales value: it’s an insurance cop out, i.e. a reason for them not to pay. The seller pointed it out, and the buyer folded.
    ^^^ this

1) paper trail

2) people who like to talk on the phones are massive weirdos (and usually 60+) that make everyone else uncomfortable
    Point 2...ha ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I’m not seeing an advantage gained by that - to the buyer?

Could always FaceTime then you get to see each other's ugly mugs and the buyer gets to see the watch in real time. Going to collect a newspaper to prove a date is so 1980s

Quote Originally Posted by milwatch126 View Post
    I just read this on watch talk and had a laugh not only at the OP but to my surprise other members. There are two sides to every coin. I have been a member of the forum for quite some and never had toys from a pram thrown at me ever, here or any other forum. It’s my money, and I buy the seller and not the watch. When you don’t have trust Jack this translates and undermines the buyer trust and deal.
    We had a deal for 5300 and this was agreed. The money would be with you now as promised but you did not trust me. I asked for the usual stuff....not more than usual when buying from a stranger.
    When I was finally confident to send you my money and then wait for a watch to arrive. I asked you to insure the watch for 5000 not reduce your value. As, for asking for a easy available tabloid papers, that was to make it easy for you to source .......my gut instinct today was correct. Instead of learning to never undermine a buyer trust you jumped up and down. If you have it in you post my final reply and paper the request along with everything else.
    I hope you all the best with your future sells on the forum.

All the best,
    M
    It's good to have your reply but there are some points I need to make

• I haven’t thrown my toys out of the pram as suggested. We had a deal and I expected any member to be a man of his word, unfortunately you are not. I’ve received multiple PM’s from other members who have had a similar experience in their dealings with you• There are always two sides to the story but you have failed to mention any additional info.
    • You say I didn’t trust you, this isn’t true and I cant see how you came to that conclusion.
    • You say you only asked for the usual stuff, I disagree and believe I went above and beyond what would normally be expected to meet your requests.
    • Did you really pullout of the deal as I pointed out to you that with only £5000 of insurance the watch would be uninsured? Were you expecting me to take that risk?

I have nothing more to add

Master
    For you Milwatch zee war is over.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Having to buy the Sun is one of the most disgusting things I've ever read on here

You have far more patience than most I'd wager though
    My sentiments too

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Have you tried doing a Google reverse image search of your photos to see if they've turned up anywhere else?

https://support.google.com/websearch...DDesktop&hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Have you tried doing a Google reverse image search of your photos to see if they've turned up anywhere else?

From the latest developments, it seems highly unlikely its a scam especially as the OP has received PMs indicating this is repeated behaviour from the buyer. Seems its just a flakey buyer who, depending his actual motive, should either decide that distance buying high-end watches from private sellers isn't for him or not string sellers along if he really isn't committed to a purchase.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Question for the 'buyer' - If the watch went missing in transit, would you have accepted the loss if insurance refused to pay, or would you have demanded a refund?

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post

I can Never get that to work

Master
    Blog Entries
    Someone doesn’t buy a watch for whatever reason,now he’s a master conman with an elaborate plan to get watch photos to sell dodgy watches.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Someone doesn’t buy a watch for whatever reason,now he’s a master conman with an elaborate plan to get watch photos to sell dodgy watches.
    Yes folks do that on e-bay every day of the week.

What went wrong here is that there was apparently no trust on either side. The best thing for both parties was therefore to walk away.

Was it worth a post? Well it seems this is not the first time it might have happend and so every day is a school day.

Master
    Asking for decent photos is completely reasonable. Asking for a photo on today’s newspaper with hands set at something particular is also a sensible precaution. Going through all this and much more, then pulling out after refusing to insure for the correct amount, is weird and exasperating. The would-be buyer only has himself to blame for this thread, and if people start wondering if there was another reason for wanting the photos in the first place, even if that’s not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Could always FaceTime then you get to see each other's ugly mugs and the buyer gets to see the watch in real time. Going to collect a newspaper to prove a date is so 1980s
    Good point!
    Last edited by Itsguy; 27th November 2020 at 14:45.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post

At the time that was first suggested as a possibility - it was just that........................ a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    • I pick up the sun and send the buyer the photos as requested.
    That is just forced depravity....!

Is this worthy of a villain thread?

Would a photo of the watch beside an iPad showing the date or in front of a TZ login screen not suffice also?

Would a photo of the watch beside an iPad showing the date or in front of a TZ login screen not suffice also?
    There is always one that thinks outside the box...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    And its women that are alleged to be high maintenance.
    Did buyer also want a nice bottle of babycham and an oiled back rub as part of the service?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Did buyer also want a nice bottle of babycham and an oiled back rub as part of the service?
    Now there's an idea. I await your next For Sale post in SC with eager anticipation :)))

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Now there's an idea. I await your next For Sale post in SC with eager anticipation :)))
    There’s a skull pen you may be interested in

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    ^^^
    Post of the Year Winner 2020.