closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this worthy of a villain thread?

Is this worthy of a villain thread?

Worst of all, you had to buy a copy of The Sun.

Just forget it and move on. He sounds like a nobber. Do not let that eat up any more of your time and effort.

It sounds like you won’t have any problem selling again.

To be fair, half way through that process, and all the extra photos lark, I’d have probably just binned the deal - I have found that you can usually tell something is amiss well before it happens.
    Ask yourself, at what point did you think this was all going to sh*t?
    I bet it was not just at the end when the buyer pulled out.

Lesson learned. Move on, chin up.

Hardly a villain though.
    Maybe a bad chap, but no harm done apart from time wasted.
    More likely a good chap just having a bad day(s).

Let it be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 27th November 2020 at 17:27.

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    What went wrong here is that there was apparently no trust on either side. The best thing for both parties was therefore to walk away.
    Honest question...where is the lack of trust displayed by the seller? All he did was jump through a timewasters hoops until the buyer reneged on his virtual hanshake because the seller refused to send the watch uninsured?

The only 'lack of trust' allegation to the seller came from the buyers reply with no fact to back the statement up.

Read through this and I'm still confused. Why did the buyer want this insured for £5,000 rather than £5,300? That seems to be where it's fallen apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Read through this and I'm still confused. Why did the buyer want this insured for £5,000 rather than £5,300? That seems to be where it's fallen apart.
    Exactly...no explanation and then the buyer replies to say the seller didn't trust him followed by other people saying that there was a lack of trust on both sides.
    Bizarre.

If I was the seller, no way would I agree to send the watch effectively uninsured. You can bet your bottom dollar that if it went missing, the buyer would insist on a refund even if he previously said it would be ok to underinsure it.

A bit of a red-herring, I think - probably a misprint is all.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    A bit of a red-herring, I think - probably a misprint is all.
    He genuinely wanted only £5000 of insurance "I asked you to insure the watch for 5000 not reduce your value."

My guess is he wanted to back out of the deal, realized he had made the seller jump through hoops and asked for under insurance as it gave him an out. Pure conjecture of course but that’s my take on it

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    He genuinely wanted only £5000 of insurance "I asked you to insure the watch for 5000 not reduce your value."
    Just trying to understand...why would he want you to insure it for £5,300 rather than £5,000? Surely that's only to his disadvantage. Is there something I'm missing?

Craftsman
    Just trying to understand...why would he want you to insure it for £5,300 rather than £5,000? Surely that's only to his disadvantage. Is there something I'm missing?
    The other way around, agreed price was £5300 buyer asked seller to insure package for £5000. I don't think why has yet been established.

He offered to pay £5300 but only wanted insurance for £5000 (presumably to save a few quid on the cost of insurance).

As the seller pointed out that it would be under insured and therefore uninsured, the buyer backed out of the deal.

Master
    Not sure if it’s a Speedmaster thing but after taking what must have been the twentieth picture of the crown belonging to a straight writing caseback beauty, I owned at the time and individually counting the crown ridges to satisfy the customer. I suddenly came to the decision to call off a prospective sale. Best choice I’ve made in a while. This sort of buyer is never ever happy, as I suspect they don’t actually know what they want, or a brand new Speedmaster would actually be the best choice.
    When I worked in agency we’d have buyers wanting to live the period house dream but freaking out over very manageable issues and calling off purchases leaving furious sellers in limbo. What the purchaser actually needed was a new build but couldn’t handle the thought of it.
    Looks like as others have said you dodged a bullet
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 28th November 2020 at 17:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    He offered to pay £5300 but only wanted insurance for £5000 (presumably to save a few quid on the cost of insurance).

As the seller pointed out that it would be under insured and therefore uninsured, the buyer backed out of the deal.
    Yep, typed it wrongly at half time! Can't think it would save much, but it is what it is.

Yep, typed it wrongly at half time! Can't think it would save much, but it is what it is.
    DHL would have been £4.50 extra and Secursus £1.80

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post

2) people who like to talk on the phones are massive weirdos (and usually 60+) that make everyone else uncomfortable
    What a strange response!

Face to face negotiation will always be the gold standard for me, followed by phone discussion. e- mails and texts lead to misunderstandings in my experience.

This deal fell through because the buyer wasn’t happy to go ahead and I think that’s largely due to communication.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    What a strange response!

Face to face negotiation will always be the gold standard for me, followed by phone discussion. e- mails and texts lead to misunderstandings in my experience.

This deal fell through because the buyer wasn’t happy to go ahead and I think that’s largely due to communication.
    2020-1958... Ach5's theory confirmed!

Just joking and I'm sure Ach5's comment was tongue in cheek. Personally I think with a high value deal it is worth having a real conversation where possible, but it's equally important to make sure the key points of the discussion are recorded in writing and sent via email/text. Otherwise it's equally possible for a misunderstanding to arise the other way, and when they do you can be left with two people feeling even more aggrieved as there's no record to refer back to for clarification.

Master
    TIC indeed... for a high value deal, a phone call might be in order (though I never have).

but really, who would willingly talk on the phone to someone? It’s just not done to call someone; it’s why we have text and email! I think most folk under 40 find phone calls (with anyone other than nearest & dearest) deeply uncomfortable. Calling someone except in an emergency is sociopathic. I never answer my phone!

TIC indeed... for a high value deal, a phone call might be in order (though I never have).

but really, who would willingly talk on the phone to someone? It’s just not done to call someone; it’s why we have text and email! I think most folk under 40 find phone calls (with anyone other than nearest & dearest) deeply uncomfortable. Calling someone except in an emergency is sociopathic. I never answer my phone!
    Does the signal get through your tin-foil hat?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    in fairness id prefer it if phones didn't actually have the phone feature.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Does the signal get through your tin-foil hat?
    Is it possible??

I need thicker tin foil!

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    in fairness id prefer it if phones didn't actually have the phone feature.

As someone in the "just about 40 category", there is some truth in this...phone conversations are doable but awkward. Things are better by PM, whatsapp or email!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    As someone in the "just about 40 category", there is some truth in this...phone conversations are doable but awkward. Things are better by PM, whatsapp or email!
    As a 90s kid, I completely relate! It's only getting more prevalent with the younger generation. Lots of companies are recognising this and we're seeing increased push towards asynchronous messaging to meet the needs of younger audiences.

Master
    There is no substitute for human speech. And not wishing to talk to other people is quite worrying . It’s far more effective than any text, and far quicker. I’d be wary of anyone unwilling to speak to me. P

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    There is no substitute for human speech. And not wishing to talk to other people is quite worrying . It’s far more effective than any text, and far quicker. I’d be wary of anyone unwilling to speak to me. P
    There is a place for both - I know several people who I would categorize as chatterboxes and if I want to communicate a very simple message to them like “hey just a heads up as promised to let you know the parcel is on its way” I’ll just text or email or PM. Otherwise I end up on the phone for 10 minutes. Fine sometimes but not always.

^^^ To be fair that's a different thing to being "uncomfortable" talking on the phone, I'd never have thought we'd get to the point where the art of conversation is slowly being lost!

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    There is a place for both - I know several people who I would categorize as chatterboxes and if I want to communicate a very simple message to them like “hey just a heads up as promised to let you know the parcel is on its way” I’ll just text or email or PM. Otherwise I end up on the phone for 10 minutes. Fine sometimes but not always.
    More importantly: a conversation is fine, but everything regarding the transaction is better written down. It is very easy for the seller to provide oral reassurance that the watch is perfect, only to come back when the buyer complains by saying you said perfect "for its age" for example. In the case in point, had the seller agreed to the request (through ignorance of insurance rules), sent the watch that subsequently was lost in transit, he would have been labelled a thief when he refused to return the buyer's dosh because the insurance declined the refund and would have had nothing to justify the underinsuring but the buyer's word, who might confirm, or not.

So by all means have a chat about the weather if that's your thing, but everything regarding the transaction should be in mail or PM.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    After sending 35 photos and the buyer asked for more Id of put buyer on ignore list . thanks

Didn't think I'd be back in this thread but the "talk on the phone" thing prompted me. So an informational:

As a 60+ year old with a disposable income F2F will always be my preffered method. It gives you the chance to examine the watch and to "buy the seller" and indeed something not often talked about to "buy the buyer". F2F you can spot a chancer or a timewaster with ease.

As a prelude to organising a F2F a quick phone call is all it takes and an actual conversation. I can assure you that, for me, anybody unwilling to do such a thing is going to create doubt in my mind. That doubt will probably ensure my bag of gold stays firmly shut or that I don't proceed with a sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    ^^^ To be fair that's a different thing to being "uncomfortable" talking on the phone, I'd never have thought we'd get to the point where the art of conversation is slowly being lost!
    Didn't think I'd be back in this thread but the "talk on the phone" thing prompted me. So an informational:

As a 60+ year old with a disposable income F2F will always be my preffered method. It gives you the chance to examine the watch and to "buy the seller" and indeed something not often talked about to "buy the buyer". F2F you can spot a chancer or a timewaster with ease.

As a prelude to organising a F2F a quick phone call is all it takes and an actual conversation. I can assure you that, for me, anybody unwilling to do such a thing is going to create doubt in my mind. That doubt will probably ensure my bag of gold stays firmly shut or that I don't proceed with a sale.
    Everyones entitled to do what makes them comfortable when selling of course, but it doesn't change the fact that among the younger generations there's a significant shift in behaviour. No point denying what is plainly true and is an ever increasing trend, it doesn't make them all suspicious, times change!

Incidentally people are conflating multiple things together. Younger people are far less inclined to make a phone call these days then to drop a WhatsApp/Email/SMS, but that doesn't mean they won't make a call when appropriate (e.g. at work) and it certainly doesn't extend to F2F conversations. Making a call is just not the default use of a phone like it once was.

Remember when everyone used to use a landline for important stuff (e.g. 'the bank') and it was considered suspicious when someone could only provide a mobile number rather than a fixed landline? Seems funny looking back doesn't it!

People have become uncomfortable with making decisions face to face and relaying that decision by voice/vision.

They want to be able to sit back and examine the written word, and then if they wish to get out of something - they can send a mail/text etc which does the job without having to face the person or phone, in case they counter with something.

I'd rather use webchat for (say) - mobile phone deals and the likes, as I can review what is offered and accept or decline. I have no problem telling the person face to face or on the phone, but being able to look at a table of charges on the screen is better than trying to review on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    More importantly: a conversation is fine, but everything regarding the transaction is better written down. It is very easy for the seller to provide oral reassurance that the watch is perfect, only to come back when the buyer complains by saying you said perfect "for its age" for example.
    There's a very simple solution to that - just record all your calls. I've been doing this for some time and there are times when it can be very useful (like the time the vets denied all knowledge of my appointment, and I was able to play them the recording of the call making the appointment!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    There's a very simple solution to that - just record all your calls. I've been doing this for some time and there are times when it can be very useful (like the time the vets denied all knowledge of my appointment, and I was able to play them the recording of the call making the appointment!)
    I don't think the general population need record all their phone calls just yet, thankfully.

I agree with your point in the round though: I have a sales rep who I refuse to speak to on the phone -- it's email only, as I was tired of him making promises on the phone that were later denied.

Now it's all in writing, please and thank you very much!

I also treat with some suspicion, people who call me within minutes of them receiving an email from me to answer my query by phone.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    In USA in many states it is illegal to record conversations without consent. There is a one party consent rule and illegally recorded conversations cannot be used as evidence
    I understand it is different in UK.

[QUOTE=M1011;5602578
    Remember when everyone used to use a landline for important stuff (e.g. 'the bank') and it was considered suspicious when someone could only provide a mobile number rather than a fixed landline? Seems funny looking back doesn't it![/QUOTE]

No - seems entirely reasonable to me. :-)

Master
    It's a personality thing, to a point. Personally I greatly prefer emails because they are self-documenting, both sides can respond in their own time and you can express your position more thoroughly. In my own line of work I've noticed that people who do productive work - technologists and problem solvers - tend to prefer email or instant messaging and eschew telephone conversations and meetings, whereas the project managers, line managers, "customer success managers" and the rest greatly value an opportunity to hear the sound of their own voices during telephone calls and (especially) meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    In USA in many states it is illegal to record conversations without consent. There is a one party consent rule and illegally recorded conversations cannot be used as evidence
    I understand it is different in UK.
    Here it's ok for a individual to record a phone conversation without consent but not ok for a business to do so.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Name him so he can't jerk off anybody else like he did you.

Sorry you've had a rough time with him.

Grand Master

If you lack the confidence to pick up the phone and speak to a stranger I feel sorry for you! lack of confidence in your ability to communicate in an ‘off the cuff’ situation is the only plausible reason for you to think this way. Frankly, I’ve no patience with this, I lacked confidence as a teenager and this lasted into early- mid 20s, but back in the 70s/ early 80s there was no e- mail or text to hide behind, you had to pull yourself together and front up, communication was either face to face, by telephone or by letter and if you couldn't hack it you were going to struggle in both work and social situations. I overcame my difficulties because I had to.

World’s full of bloody snowflakes thesedays, too scared to pickup the phone if they don’t know who might be on the other end!

Master
    ‘Calling someone, except in an emergency, is sociopathic’. Talking to fellow human beings is ‘sociopathic’?
    This is one of the craziest suggestions I’ve come across on TZ. Completely bonkers. People utterly distorted by technology.
    Last edited by paskinner; 1st December 2020 at 09:18.

When I sold my few weeks old BPFF on here earlier this year the buyer contacted me and asked me to ring him. He had the usual list of questions and it was far easier than writing endless e-mails or PMs. It also gave both of us an extra level of confidence that you don't normally get with a typed message.

I find it interesting that people think that people don't use phones. When I'm out walking a large percentage of people out, pushing prams, walking dogs etc feel the need to be in constant conversation with someone. I always feel sorry for the poor bugger at the other end because most of these people don't stop talking long enough for the other person to get a word in edge ways. I often think it's sad when a dog is pleading with its master to throw a ball or kids have been picked up from school excited to see a parent and all get completely ignored because some tosser can't STFU.

Old gits are the best, they haven't mastered walking and talking at the same time and you see these old phone zombies rooted to the spot.

I have no problem chatting to someone if it helps the situation.

Master
    I almost always stick to messaging when buying or selling. That said, there’s a place for talking if it helps. I’d rather do a FaceTime rather than call these days as it adds even more comfort that you are dealing with someone decent (and they could show you the watch).

As a younger member (well... early 30s), I don’t share the extreme views of those ref calls being for weirdos. Equally, I would always want some things in writing.

It’s definitely more difficult for younger generations to build the confidence to talk to people, and it is being done less and less, but it isn’t going to disappear. I wouldn’t get far in my working life if I refused to discuss anything on the phone or video con... I would also walk away from a watch deal if I wanted to talk but was met with consternation.

Master
    Cripes (that’s a good old word, isn’t it?), I’ve opened a can of worms here. Most of my posts about such topics should be taken with at least a little pinch of salt! Although I certainly don’t really believe only sociopaths make calls, what I was (wryly) getting at is that there is a very definite trend away from talking towards digital communication in the younger (upto mid-30’s) group. This has been studied and is well documented. There is a genuine anxiety among many about answering the phone; if you (can be bothered to) google it (I’m not sure it’s worth doing!) there’s some interesting reading & social research on this.

I have always been slightly uncomfortable talking on the phone; I’m not really sure why as I find talking face to face very easy, but I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to pick up the phone if it were immediately necessary, but I freely admit I would always choose email over a phone call unless it just wasn’t appropriate. Horses of courses, I suppose.

Cripes (that’s a good old word, isn’t it?), I’ve opened a can of worms here. Most of my posts about such topics should be taken with at least a little pinch of salt! Although I certainly don’t really believe only sociopaths make calls, what I was (wryly) getting at is that there is a very definite trend away from talking towards digital communication in the younger (upto mid-30’s) group. This has been studied and is well documented. There is a genuine anxiety among many about answering the phone; if you (can be bothered to) google it (I’m not sure it’s worth doing!) there’s some interesting reading & social research on this.

I have always been slightly uncomfortable talking on the phone; I’m not really sure why as I find talking face to face very easy, but I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to pick up the phone if it were immediately necessary, but I freely admit I would always choose email over a phone call unless it just wasn’t appropriate. Horses of courses, I suppose.
    This might be because you can choose a F to F interaction whereas a phone call you receive comes out of the blue.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

No - seems entirely reasonable to me. :-)
    Yet ironically the bank would much rather your mobile than your landline these days. Go figure

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Here it's ok for a individual to record a phone conversation without consent but not ok for a business to do so.

R
    With one important addition - you have to be part of the conversation!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    If you lack the confidence to pick up the phone and speak to a stranger I feel sorry for you! lack of confidence in your ability to communicate in an ‘off the cuff’ situation is the only plausible reason for you to think this way. Frankly, I’ve no patience with this, I lacked confidence as a teenager and this lasted into early- mid 20s, but back in the 70s/ early 80s there was no e- mail or text to hide behind, you had to pull yourself together and front up, communication was either face to face, by telephone or by letter and if you couldn't hack it you were going to struggle in both work and social situations. I overcame my difficulties because I had to.

World’s full of bloody snowflakes thesedays, too scared to pickup the phone if they don’t know who might be on the other end!
    Woah, bit much. Obviously the talk of sociopaths was a joke, but I get the impression you're serious!

The change in behaviour in younger generations doesn't mean they lack confidence, that's absurd. They just have different norms.

I rarely phone people outside of family in my personal life, but I rarely get off the blooming phone in my professional life!

Blog Entries

That is very strange indeed. Then again, I am over 40. For high value watches I tend to use WhatsApp video - then I can see them as well! At a mutually agreeable time.

When I was working - we were on constant phone 'meetings' through the day - we couldn't have F-F meetings as we were in different UK offices and often different countries. It was one reason I got out early.

I'll accept what you said was somewhat tounge-in-cheek.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 1st December 2020 at 20:40.

I've gone full circle. Didn't have a phone at home until I was 14 (no mobiles obviously) and by that time I was scared of it. A few years working in sales soon knocked that out of me. But now I prefer everything in some form of writing if money is changing hands or a deal of some kind is being proposed. My experience is that those who are reluctant to put their deal/thoughts/proposal 'on paper' have not thought it through properly or have something to hide and hope to bluster their way through and gloss over the negatives.

Happy to talk to someone if I'm selling something and that's their preference, but haven't felt the need when buying here. I can bring one member to mind who I have traded watches with to the tune of a six figure sum over the years and I'm pretty sure we've never spoken.

Master
    Buyer is dodgy af. Name and shame!

See H&V...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    It's good to have your reply but there are some points I need to make

• I haven’t thrown my toys out of the pram as suggested. We had a deal and I expected any member to be a man of his word, unfortunately you are not. I’ve received multiple PM’s from other members who have had a similar experience in their dealings with you• There are always two sides to the story but you have failed to mention any additional info.
    • You say I didn’t trust you, this isn’t true and I cant see how you came to that conclusion.
    • You say you only asked for the usual stuff, I disagree and believe I went above and beyond what would normally be expected to meet your requests.
    • Did you really pullout of the deal as I pointed out to you that with only £5000 of insurance the watch would be uninsured? Were you expecting me to take that risk?

I have nothing more to add
    I did not want to have to reply further to this post again but the quality of the post replies have went south lowering the usual standard of the forum and some members. I guess this is we’re we are ‘Instagram times’, and the new breed of watch collector expert who can’t use phone to talk to people? Throwing out toys and making remarks about a forum member with a long unquestioned standing and H&V history here and other platforms.
    I have been watching this post and now I think it is time to discuss it. First of all it does not sit well with me having my good reputation being dismantled before my eyes. I understand Jack was disappointed and as time goes by he will learn not to hang his dirty laundry out in public as some others might. I also hope he and other will learn somethings from this post that are normal requests from experienced watch collectors. This is all in the pursuit of preventing a horror story occurring. Nothing was lost here except experienced gained on both sides. However, I hope no one on the forum will ever feel obliged to go through with a deal if they are not 100% confident or if circumstances change after reading childish posts like this one.

So here goes:
    I did not ask for 35+ photographs from you, you sent them to me and they were very good but did not catch the colour of the dial in any of them? They almost looked generic.
    I did not ask you to buy a specifically a given newspaper? The paper was to confirm that the watch was in your possession.
    You did answer all of my questions (where was the watch sourced from?).
    And most importantly as I mentioned during our correspondence your photographs did not catch a tropical colour? Therefore, it could not be called a true Pre moon Speedmaster tropical 1969 (their colour is ver specific). I explained this and described your watches dial as a hint of brown and not a true tropical like the one you used for comparison in one of you photographs. You never sent me any picture to satisfy me throughout? This is the main reason I was starting to go ff the deal the insurance nuisance was just another nail in the coffin of the deal and my confidence as a buyer.

During our correspondence I sent you quite a few pictures of my own, my tropical Rolex dial for comparison of a tropical dial with your Speedy along with other pictures of watches that I had for trade with your as you expressed an interest them and then did not (not a problem). This is part of buying and selling watches Jack. Maybe a little more experience under your belt with regards selling and buying watches. Yes, I understand you were disappointed but this is the game. I never did anything to be called a villain I am just a carful and once burnt watch collector who treats this hobby with respect as I do other watch enthusiasts

My reply to Jack on the day I decided not to go through with the deal and before this post was put on watch talk.

Dear Jack,

I feel there seems to be some loss of trust. I thank you very much for your time but it seems the distance is an issue together with the current times. I have in the past flown over and did deals with other members or sent bank transfers. Please have a look at my H&V's. I am sorry that this deal has went south. I would really have loved to have bought your watch. However, presently it seem its not going to happen, maybe at another time. I hope you have a great Christmas and your family and friends are safe.

Kind Regards,

Michael

I hope this puts this post to rest and if not can it be moved to the pit?

Christmas (Seasonal) greetings to all forum members.

Michael
    Last edited by milwatch126; 4th December 2020 at 14:20.

Except writing a long reply (that seems a bit patronising in a "I'm an experienced watch collector, you are a novice that needs to learn how to trade" style) whilst having a slight dig at other forum members doesn't really clear things up if you don't address the questions.

According to the original timeline, you received the photos and agreed to purchase based on those photos.."deal is done". You subsequently pulled out when the seller was hesitant (quite rightly) to send a watch underinsured at your request. You are now saying that the photos weren't good enough to verify the dial colour and that the refusal to underinsure the watch was the "final nail"...huh? If that's the case you shouldn't have made the hand-shake statement to the buyer and subsequently backed out on this 'trust' thing that still remains a mystery.

To an outside viewer, it still reads like you agreed to buy something meaning the seller took the item off the market, then got cold feet and created a situation for you to back out under. Sorry, but this whole saga that has gone public is still clear as mud to those reading.
    Last edited by Christian; 4th December 2020 at 14:53.

Quote Originally Posted by milwatch126 View Post
    I did not want to have to reply further to this post again but ...
    Here, let me help you, son. The best 65p you'll spend today.