closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Down/Fibre Vests - Suggestions Please

Craftsman

Down/Fibre Vests - Suggestions Please

I'm looking to buy my son in London a down or fibre filled vest for Christmas. He has a down Uniqlo lightweight vest but the lining has worn
    through from rubbing on the chair back mesh (WFH issue). Any suggestions for alternative lightweight down or fibre filled vests for indoor wear
    that might last a bit longer than his Uniglo did please?

Thanks for any leads.

Terry

For general care I'd go for a synthetic fill vest (eg Primaloft)....Alpkit do some nice ones and if he's not happy they do free returns...good quality and vfm

Master
    The gentleman above certainly knows his jackets (I'm wearing his old Arcteryx right now) and I'd agree that particularly if he's young then a synthetic will probably last longer / be easier to keep tidy. But if down is required my favourite is the Rab Microlight gilets, jackets and hoody jackets. They seem to just last forever.

Master
    Uniqlo offers good value for money - especially if not brand conscious. They are often less than half the price of an equivalent branded item that may last longer, if not twice as long. And at half the price it offers them the chance to buy new/change styles twice as often - sometimes a benefit for younger people who want to stay 'on trend'.

The only advantage of down is its performance in relation to its weight.
    It gives more insulation per gramme than anything else.
    So if weight is an issue (propoer hiking, mountaineering) down is the best choice.
    In every other situation, man-made (like Primaloft) is better, it is less fragile, lasts longer and is not prone to water damage (although some downs are treated these days). Man-made is also less prone to damage by storing in a stuff-sack (which is never a good idea, but all of us forget sometimes).
    And then again, you need to consider the exterior fabric too.
    I use a Uniqlo vest myself, and it is magnificent for the weight, but has no wearing capability whatsoever. They are not really intended as an exterior garment, they are not tough enough.
    I would not bother with down, or Uniqlo again, for this use.
    Snugpak do a good looking vest, but I am not an owner, so cannot recommend it specifically.
    D

If to be worn predominantly in doors, I would buy another Uniqlo, they are cheap enough that they can be replaced easily. Failing that what about a sleeveless fleece? Should be a bit harder wearing and they are almost as warm.
    I would also check out Decathlon, I bought one for use when shooting that is really hard wearing and warm, it was less than £50 from memory. I would buy another in a heart beat, although I am not going to have to replace it for years. - should stress it looks cr@p though, its kind of like a sleeveless version of those 70s coats the local weirdo wears when out sniffing bicycle seats :-)
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 26th November 2020 at 12:11.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I use a Uniqlo vest myself, and it is magnificent for the weight, but has no wearing capability whatsoever. They are not really intended as an exterior garment, they are not tough enough.
    I would not bother with down, or Uniqlo again, for this use.
    Sure they are not heavy duty, but they are absolutely meant for casual outdoor wear, would I wear it for dog walking, yes, would I wear it to climb Everest no.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    The gentleman above certainly knows his jackets (I'm wearing his old Arcteryx right now) and I'd agree that particularly if he's young then a synthetic will probably last longer / be easier to keep tidy. But if down is required my favourite is the Rab Microlight gilets, jackets and hoody jackets. They seem to just last forever.
    Damn you got the jacket, I got the hoodie and wanted to add the jacket to it!

Agree they are brilliant bits of kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Sure they are not heavy duty, but they are absolutely meant for casual outdoor wear, would I wear it for dog walking, yes, would I wear it to climb Everest no.
    Sorry, you misunderstand me. Of course the Uniqlo jackets should be worn outside. What I meant was that they are not an exterior jacket. meaning they do not have tough material to be worn as an outermost layer. Take a uniqlo jacket near brambles, rocks, anything and it will rip to shreds. Wear one under shell in the same situation - fine.

D

Craftsman
    Gap used to do primaloft vests and they’d reduce them to silly prices in sales. I still have one I bought in Jan 2016 and it’s in great shape, sure it was only a tenner.

Not sure whether or not they still use primaloft mind.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As it's Xmas - Arcteryx Atom?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a Finisterre SDS vest/gilet which is super warm, paper thin and featherweight.

Would thoroughly recommend.

Master
    Currently on sale:

https://theomm.com/product/rotor-ves...us-generation/

I can vouch for them, owning 3 of them!

Craftsman
    Thanks all for your suggestions, I'll probably go with the Alpkit gilet on sale for £80.00.

I appreciate the Uniqlo is good value for money but the outer material is too thin to take any wear from the mesh chair back.

Terry

Master
    I have a Uniqlo one which I agree is a bit flimsy for outerwear but great under a shell.

These are a really decent make (although out of stock atm)

https://www.revolutionrace.co.uk/men...-men?Color=962

Got a ski jacket from them and great value compared to better known makes and customer service is great

According to Big Nose Dave, our (non)resident Himalayan mountain goat, PHD is where it's at.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...s-UP-DOWN-sale
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.