closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sleep patterns

Sleep patterns

Zzzzzzz how do people best find a regular sleep pattern I’m finding I fall asleep quite easily then awaking around 3am and awake gor at least a good hour..... is it an over active mind etc anybody any magical sleep recipes...... please....yawn

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Do you go to pee when you get up at 3? If so stop drinking at 8pm.

That sounds like my sleep pattern too. Thankfully I don’t work full-time these days so some nights before an off day I’ll take a 25mg Diphenhydramine tablet and that’ll usually see me through 6 or 8 hours.
    I’m really not great if I have to work after taking one.

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Thankfully I don’t work full-time these days.
    Who wants to work full time if they don’t have to, but I sleep like a baby probably because I work hard on a full time basis.

Less mental and physical exercise (especially during lockdown) can lead to sleep challenges.

I’m working full time but having a bloody mare with sleep

https://www.bakadesuyo.com/2012/08/w...in-two-chunks/

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

there are vey good books dedicated to this, why ask on a watch forum

Since lock down I have been working full time and stressed but I have not being as active as I usually am. Early in lockdown this did have an effect on my sleep patterns. Wake at 2/3 until about 6 then fall in to a deep sleep before waking at 7. I felt utterly cr@p for weeks.

I have found doing some physical activity every day along with cutting out booze on school night, eating earlier / lighter and avoiding screens 30 mins before bed have helped. - I have been enjoying re-reading Viz annuals of an evening.
    Everyone is different, but it may help to look at your routine and avoid things that stimulate you (stop sniggering in the back) before bed.

Master
    I've always woken up a few times in the night (well as far back as I can remember), more often than not including a loo break once in the night. Fortunately it has never bothered me. In fact I love looking at the clock and seeing I have another 5 hours or whatever in bed.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wainy001 View Post
    Zzzzzzz how do people best find a regular sleep pattern I’m finding I fall asleep quite easily then awaking around 3am and awake gor at least a good hour..... is it an over active mind etc anybody any magical sleep recipes...... please....yawn

I have never been a great sleeper but I've had this problem that you mention since I took (early 50's) retirement. I've allowed bad habits to creep in - for example on a rainy, gloomy day I will watch a bit of TV at about 5pm and as its nice and cozy in the room I doze off for 30 minutes - doesn't sound like much but rather than refresh me I feel sluggish afterwards and I've noticed a correlation with poor sleep that night. If I don't doze in the afternoon then a late program on TV in the evening I will cause me doze again doze off! Winds my wife up and again ruins my nights sleep!! Lock down hasn't helped either!

I decided to clean up my 'sleep hygiene'. I have cut out all caffeine, upped my exercise and activity levels, never eat after 6.30 - 7pm, and only consume alcohol (not much) at the weekends. I also try and squeeze my 'sleep window' to about 7 - 8 hours and try to go to bed and get up at the same time every night/morning. Good advice about not drinking fluid too late in the evening if getting up to pee too much in the middle of the night.

If I change this routine too much I also wake up and allow my mind to 'kick into gear' - I then try to relax, work through the issues in my mind and put the 'worries away' (as I reason I can't do anything about at 3am whilst in bed) and normally fall asleep.

But for me, mainly, I've found if I'm really tired from the days activates (gym, walking gardening, you know, actual physical work) as opposed to just being 'busy' sitting at a desk and being sedentary - I sleep much better.

Report back if you find a solution as lack of sleep is a killer.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove;[URL="[URL
    tel:5598479[/URL]"]5598479[/URL]]Who wants to work full time if they don’t have to, but I sleep like a baby probably because I work hard on a full time basis.

Less mental and physical exercise (especially during lockdown) can lead to sleep challenges.
    Jolly good for you, I also work hard, I just have more days off now which means I don’t have to worry about the effects of a pill affecting my performance at work.

Exercise never made any difference to my sleep pattern, most of the advice about lack of sleep is about getting off to the land of nod in the first place but like the OP I never have a problem falling asleep, it’s staying asleep is the problem.

...I have problems waking up.....God, I hate mornings....

Master

Sleep patterns

As a fellow insomniac I would recommend two books - Sleep by Nick Littlehales and Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker

Another tip is slightly paradoxical but is an evidence based treatment for insomnia. If say you feel you are only getting 4 hours sleep a night. Set a wake up time and only allow yourself into bed 4 hours before that wake up time. After 4 days of sleeping what you think is >80% of the time you spent in bed, up it to 5 hours in bed, after 4 days of >80% of time spent in bed asleep up it again and so on until you are sleeping an amount you are happy with. Basically, use sleep deprivation to get you spending time in bed asleep rather than awake. If your mind associates bed with sleep, you will sleep in bed!

Wake up time should be the same everyday!

No caffeine after midday.

Just do something relaxing yet mind occupying before bed, ideally without a screen.

When in bed, don’t try to sleep, just try to relax and rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by watchstudent; 25th November 2020 at 17:47.

Master
    No laughing but good nights sleep is only a drink away?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optima-Mont.../dp/B00G6LSCES

I did my knee seven weeks ago & this was recommended for aiding the swelling but a good side effect is I now sleep like a log.

Seems like one of the super antioxidants / foods.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    there are vey good books dedicated to this, why ask on a watch forum
    You would probably make me go too sleep!!

Jolly good for you, I also work hard, I just have more days off now which means I don’t have to worry about the effects of a pill affecting my performance at work.

Exercise never made any difference to my sleep pattern, most of the advice about lack of sleep is about getting off to the land of nod in the first place but like the OP I never have a problem falling asleep, it’s staying asleep is the problem.
    Same same falling is fine.

Craftsman
    My OH struggles with sleep and uses Magnesium Glycinate seems to work for her?

"Magnesium Glycinate: Those that are stressed out will enjoy the effects of this supplement. Magnesium glycinate will relax your muscles, help you sleep, and calm your body and mind. there aren’t any major side effects and it’s more easily absorbed compared to other types of magnesium."

Also she cuts out any Caffeine even in green teas etc after 3pm, I find a good peppermint tea helps digestion after dinner and is caffeine free

We use these two

Last edited by Neilo; 26th November 2020 at 14:01.

Brilliant thanks for the advice.... cutting out coffee after 8am and stopping using BCCAs has had a good effect for me too.

Just for a bit of balance here, I've always been a coffeeholic. Drink gallons of the stuff and have never had a problem with sleeping. I suppose it varies from person to person. The biggest factor for me seems to be body temp so I use traditional sheets and blankets that can be added or removed rather than a duvet. A good firm pillow is also essential (for me).

25mg Diphenhydramine where can I get me one or two?.

/\ /\ /\

My local chemist sells a generic version of Nytol One-a-Night, not to be confused with the herbal capsules these are only sold over the counter. They sell 25mg or 50mg and about £1 cheaper than Nytol.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    over the counter phenergan, strongest ones, 1 before sleep.

I have recently got the Calm app but yet to start actually using it. One night I played sleep music and started falling asleep. It was only 8.00pm!

You can set the app to play for a specified length of time. I will be loading the app on an old phone so I can sleep soundly, not being worried about my phone having a flat battery in the morning.

Blog Entries
    Try Sour Cherry Juice concentrate (Optima). 30ml can be taken neat or in a hot drink / smoothy. Meant to help sleep and mind health too. I got some on Amazon search for : Optima Montmorency Cherry Juice Concentrate 500 ml

Check google for health benefits.

Also a hot drink before bed: milk, hot chocolate etc - remember all those hot drinks you had in your youth?

Let us know how you get on?

just found this bit of research

Sleep better. A recent review of sleep research concludes that regular exercise can help adults fall asleep faster, sleep longer, and wake up less. One of the studies looked specifically at the relationship between sleep quality and cardiorespiratory fitness, and found that the better middle-aged adults did on a treadmill test, the less likely they were to have sleep complaints. Other studies found decreased physical activity leads to an increased risk for insomnia.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 27th November 2020 at 20:40.

Master
    My sleep has been up and down for the first time in my life since the first lockdown. Sometimes sleep no problem, sometimes wake up for a while in the middle of the night.

The biggest mistake I made was lying in bed in the early hours, awake for too long. I think you’re supposed to get up if you haven’t been asleep for 20 minutes, go downstairs and do something else then go back and try again when you feel a bit sleepy. That definitely helps.

Also, a good routine before sleep. I find reading a relatively dull book on the kindle with the lights out is an excellent aide!

Quote Originally Posted by wainy001 View Post
    You would probably make me go too sleep!!

Flirt

Guess I'm lucky, I'm tired I fall asleep.

I can sleep pretty much anywhere too, tents, planes,cars, in meetings...

I sleep after a coffee half an hour before bed, although I tend to avoid this.

I wish I knew the secret as I'd sell it!

My wife barely sleeps at all...

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 27th November 2020 at 20:51.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Someone above mentioned diphenhydramine- I use these occasionally in the Boots sleepeaze 25mg size
    A hangover from 35 years of shiftwork
    Great as a “reset” after a bad night or 2 but not recommended for constant or regular use.
    Nytol just gives me weird dreams.