closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a watch from Japan??

Master

Buying a watch from Japan??

Has anyone recently bought a watch from Japan? Reason for asking is lovely watch on Chrono24, ticks all the boxes but on the GOV.UK site regarding import costs and its not at all clear with all different watches, materials etc, this is a Automatic titianium Seiko.

Thanks in advance :-)

You should pay 20% VAT on watch/postage plus couriers handling (£10-15).

I bought a speedy back in April and all I had to pay was the vat and a handling charge from whoever it was who delivered it, UPS I think?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    This is correct regarding vat and handling. This will be collected by the courier prior to delivery. Most allow you to pay this online when the watch enters the U.K.

I would ask the seller to verify they have the watch in stock before committing to a purchase. This will avoid them taking your money and waiting weeks for it to be shipped.

Master
    Thanks everyone for your help, now just need to wait for payday or sell my watch :-)

Be aware that delivery times around the world have slowed massively. There is a thread on this somewhere. It might take a while for your watch to arrive.

Craftsman
    I bought from Japan in March. It took 6 weeks to arrive as it was sent by Japan Post. The 20% VAT is a kicker so try and negotiate a discount with the Seller. I managed to get them to drop the price by 20%.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Does this apply also to used, or is there an additional tariff? I have in mind reading somewhere here to factor 30% for importing a used watch from Japan...

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Does this apply also to used, or is there an additional tariff? I have in mind reading somewhere here to factor 30% for importing a used watch from Japan...
    Same charges. Possibly shipping and handling added to the 20% to make (very roughly) 30%.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Same charges. Possibly shipping and handling added to the 20% to make (very roughly) 30%.
    Many thanks!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yep. Very possible for a watch in the £1k range.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If it's on a bracelet, make sure that it will be long enough for your wrists.

I've not imported a watch from Japan myself, but have seen some suggestions that watches destined for the Japanese markets are often supplied with shorter bracelets than those destined for European or American markets. (I'd also be interested to hear - from anybody who has actually done it - whether this is true).

Master
    ^^I bought a JDM GS Spring Drive a few years back (when the pound was doing a lot better vs the yen), from Seiko 3s on Global Rakuten and the bracelet seemed to be the full length - certainly had some spare links after I sized it..

Journeyman
    I got a King Seiko earlier on in the year. Like what everyone said it's about 20% with carrier charge. Shipping was very fast for me. Ordered on a Friday and got the watch the following Friday (after a day held for me to pay the charges)

Will import taxes on new Japanese watches incur tax after 1st Jan? Thinking of getting a decent Protrek but not sure whether to buy now or wait a few weeks.

SydR

Buying a watch from Japan??

Would not think, from Jan 1st, there is any reason for the current taxes etc for a purchase from Japan to change next year from what they are at present as it is not within the EU or EEA.

You can have a look at the Japan / UK agreement here: https://www.mofa.go.jp/ecm/ie/page24e_000270.html

Annex 2A (https://www.mofa.go.jp/files/100111410.pdf) lists the products.

I didn't see much specifically for watches. It looks largely the same as the EU one https://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/do...doc_157229.pdf.

Presume no change.
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 6th December 2020 at 12:28. Reason: cheese

Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Would not think, from Jan 1st, there is any reason for the current taxes etc for a purchase from Japan to change next year from what they are at present as it is not within the EU or EEA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    You can have a look at the Japan / UK agreement here: https://www.mofa.go.jp/ecm/ie/page24e_000270.html

Annex 2A (https://www.mofa.go.jp/files/100111410.pdf) lists the products.

I didn't see much specifically for watches. It looks largely the same as the EU one https://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/do...doc_157229.pdf.

Presume no change.
    I'll buy now then as the taxes look like staying the same. Thanks chaps.

It's probably worth exploring tax returns in Japan as well - maybe ask the dealer?