closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cardiff yesterday looking at watches

Cardiff yesterday looking at watches

Random musings.

I was in Cardiff yesterday primarily to collect my Omega Seamaster GMT which is just back from service. It took an absolute age, half of which was WoS actually getting it to Omega and then getting it back to me.
    Work was well up to the usual Omega standard, little bag of the bits they'd changed which all looked in good nick in the bottom of the service pouch, I guess they think it helps you to swallow the price. No over restoration of the parts so the watch wears it's age nicely. Also had a nice chat with a fellow watch fan waiting to collect a Rolex - say hello if you are a member here?
    At least WoS have got rid of those overly blingy pre-owned Rolex that were littering their window. Nice JLC rverso in the pre-owned window but price was on the high side.

While loitering until my 10.00 apointment I was browsing the Christopher George window. Helped the sales staff who had mixed up the labels on 2 of the pre-owned Rolex in the window and also noticed that Seiko now have little display cards that say things like "Known to our fans as Tuna" (insert nickname of choice, they had a few.)

Also tried on the Oris Aquis with the new cal. 400 movement in Crouches. I thought it might wear big at 43mm but it does not. Very snug on the wrist. I had their diver 65 on my list as a possible next purchase but I'm torn now. Time to follow my own advice and wait. Anyhow SWMBO would probably not appeiciate another purchase before Christmas. however I have established that I might be allowed to buy another watch box, which I might take as permission for 12 more watches

That Jeweller in the Royal Arcade I can never remember the name of still has a Hulk in the window £17k and change.

Interesting Rolex pocket watch in Laings.

No vist to Cardiff is complete for me without going into Wallys. Deli counter now fully stocked again, life almost feels normal!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post

That Jeweller in the Royal Arcade I can never remember the name of still has a Hulk in the window £17k and change.
    Watches of Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    Watches of Wales.
    No, the proper jeweller, not that lot.

David Edwards - I just looked it up.

I can't remember the last time I saw WoW open. I do remember some ugly looking Rolex re-dials from a few years back. Their stock list is immpressive, maybe with all their celeb customers they can do without the man in the street.
    Last edited by aldfort; 24th November 2020 at 15:06.

Master
    No, the proper jeweller, not that lot.

David Edwards - I just looked it up.

I can't remember the last time I saw WoW open. I do remember some ugly looking Rolex re-dials from a few years back. Their stock list is immpressive, maybe with all their celeb customers they can do without the man in the street.
    It’s not very often I get to Cardiff but will have a nosey in David Edwards next time, I can’t recall ever seeing their shop.

Master
    I do a bit of work at St David’s centre, and always head to Christopher George to check out the Seiko display. One of the best retail displays I’ve seen. Tried on and nearly brought the 1978 LE Tuna last time I was there, would have taken it if they had of done another 5% on the discount.

Craftsman
    Anyhow SWMBO would probably not appeiciate another purchase before Christmas. however I have established that I might be allowed to buy another watch box, which I might take as permission for 12 more watches
    Are you sure she is not working on the “one box in, another box out” principle? So you can get rid of your nasty old watch box and replace it with a nice, new shiny (and smaller!) one.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    I do a bit of work at St David’s centre, and always head to Christopher George to check out the Seiko display. One of the best retail displays I’ve seen. Tried on and nearly brought the 1978 LE Tuna last time I was there, would have taken it if they had of done another 5% on the discount.
    They are top guys and mostly know their stuff. Excellent for pre-owned jewellery, some nice interesting pieces.

They are top guys and mostly know their stuff. Excellent for pre-owned jewellery, some nice interesting pieces.
    I read this yesterday...then had a look on their website...not been to town for a few weeks,, maybe months now!

Did you have a look at the Datejust they have for sale? (16233...) it looks really nice on their site..but only 2 photos?

I do have a look in their window myself when I go into Cardiff.................May have to pop in and have a look there one day soon!

Journeyman
    Was also browsing Laings yesterday and it looks like a brand new Breitling shop opening next door?

Quote Originally Posted by Cr55eds View Post
    Was also browsing Laings yesterday and it looks like a brand new Breitling shop opening next door?
    Yes I was a bit surprised to see that, I recall being in Crouch in St David's and chatting to one of the salesmen who made a comment along the lines of 'we barely sell any Breitling'. I can't see a single brand store that big lasting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    I read this yesterday...then had a look on their website...not been to town for a few weeks,, maybe months now!

Did you have a look at the Datejust they have for sale? (16233...) it looks really nice on their site..but only 2 photos?

I do have a look in their window myself when I go into Cardiff.................May have to pop in and have a look there one day soon!
    I only ever look in the window. Honest pieces, some of which show their age a little. Their prices are pretty good and reflect age and condition, stock does not tend to hang about too long. I missed out on a really nice Air King a few weeks back due to dithering for a few days.

I only ever look in the window. Honest pieces, some of which show their age a little. Their prices are pretty good and reflect age and condition, stock does not tend to hang about too long. I missed out on a really nice Air King a few weeks back due to dithering for a few days.

Many thanks for that.

I have looked in their windows myself a few times! I think I even posted a rather poor pic. of a sub, I saw in there, a year or two ago.

I may well pop in there on Saturday..

Thanks again O.P.

I called in there this morning, as there was a Datejust which I liked , on their website.

Ive looked in their windows once or twice...posted a pic. of an old sub. they had for sale a year or so ago too! Today though...was my first time inside there!

The datejust I liked the look of, was a two tone one from 1988...I tried it on.. Alas though....it wore too small for my liking....( I have a W.T.B. for a 36mm datejust....so Id best delete it! As I need a 41mm).

It is a lovely looking thing...fitted my 18cm wrist...Ive not seen many (none come to think of it?!) with the same colour dial? Its a cream..I think!...looks great...I think its too small.....though.."to me"! at least...the fact it is 2 tone ... seems to make it wear a little larger than a 36mm? If that makes any sense?!

I also tried on a 2008 Milgaus...I think that was £6,500,,,they also had a 36mm Datejust...2 years old for £4,800...or was it £3800? It looked a decent price to me anyway! I didnt really like the Milgauss... purely because, it has a "plain" bezel?! I dont like watches with a "plain" (ie.!! Not fluted/numbered etc!) bezel for some reason?

I took a quick pic of the datejust on my wrist (it actually looks bigger in the photo) I also took one of the watch I was wearing a 114060 for a bit of comparison...As I say though....in photos I find that watches seem a lot bigger than they do in the metal! The young man who dealt with me..was very helpful and very polite...I will certainly be going back there in the future...I havent completely dismissed the Datejust...its a lovely looking thing,,,I know its a dress watch and 36mm seems to be the "well liked"! size for the datejust.............Hmmm! another trip to town may in order!

I was in Cardiff today too, and noticed an interesting GMT master from 1976 in the window of Jonathan David on St Mary St.

Didn't take any pics on wrist, but had a close look. I don't think the pictures do the dial justice, the patina looks fantastic. The crystal and bracelet would probably need some attention though. Lovely to see one like this in the flesh.

Not sure how sensibly priced it is but it was well out of my range anyway!

https://jonathan-david-jewellers.mys...35ae9fb8&_ss=r

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well, some of the Christopher George stock has gone. Nice Rolex Oyster and a nice Datejust (yes that^ one LoL!) still in the window.
    Walked straight past Jonathan David without looking in.

Today two Rolex Milgauss in different Jeweller,s Chris George has one so does David Edwards. Just window shopping as I passed by but both around the £7k mark.

Pre- owned stock in CJ still changing fairly quickly based on their window display.
    DE seem to have a lot of Tag, including a commision sale Monaco @ sub £3k and Breitling but also noticed AP and one Panerai. (The Monaco looks like it needs a good clean and probably a service.)

Be nice if that was the blue calibre 11 Monaco!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Be nice if that was the blue calibre 11 Monaco!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Nope was white dial with "sort of" Gulf stripes. Dial my even have been aftermarket, it did not look nice to my eye but I am no expert on the this watch other than "sort of" wanting one, one day, maybe... due to the movie connection and my love of the 24 hr race.

Im still a "little tempted" to get that lovely cream dialed Datejust in Christopher George....

Hmmn do I or dont I? Im on the "registered my interest"! for a fluted dial 41mm Datejust.....very much doubt if I will be lucky in getting one though....so the datejust in Christopher George may be a goer.......at that price, Im not going to lose that much on i, even if I dont "bond"! with it...

I tried it on a few weeks ago....to me..it seemed to wear "not as small" , as a modern 36mm Datejust.? I may well pop into Cardiff this week...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    Im still a "little tempted" to get that lovely cream dialed Datejust in Christopher George....

Hmmn do I or dont I? Im on the "registered my interest"! for a fluted dial 41mm Datejust.....very much doubt if I will be lucky in getting one though....so the datejust in Christopher George may be a goer.......at that price, Im not going to lose that much on i, even if I dont "bond"! with it...

I tried it on a few weeks ago....to me..it seemed to wear "not as small" , as a modern 36mm Datejust.? I may well pop into Cardiff this week...
    Have you tried on a DJ41? I only ask because a lot of people who do find they are very wearable.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Have you tried on a DJ41? I only ask because a lot of people who do find they are very wearable.
    I have..

Not a fluted bezel one....just a "plain" bezel DJ41.........I think it wears a tad smaller than 41mm though?

Strangely, I think fluted bezels seem to wear a tad bigger...(at least they do to me!)...and for whatever reason, the two tone, fluted bezel ,DJ 36 seemed to wear a touch larger than a "plain" bezel modern 36mm Datejust?!!

I appreciate , its only a few millimetres either way....they do make a difference though!............at least they do to me!