closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ready Player Two

Ready Player Two

For anyone who enjoyed Ernest Cline’s Ready Player One the sequel is out today (book not film). I’m looking forward to it as I really enjoyed the first book, much more so than the movie. What they should have done IMO is make the first book a film trilogy, it would have worked better and we’d have been able to see more of the references included. Still hoping Ready player two is a good read!

Master
    Already on it

I almost made a thread on this last week, but a quick search showed the Ready Player One movie in both the "Really good movies" and "Really bad movies" categories, so I backed away.

I find the original intriguing and rather worrying as it's likely the world our kids and grandkids will inhabit, a total digital society. Suppose it's a better outcome than TRON!

Anyway thanks for the heads-up, bedtime reading beckons

Blog Entries
    Didn't realise it was out yet so thanks for the heads up, just bought it

Found the first one really good and made more enjoyable with the Rush references so looking forward to this

Blog Entries
    Made a start on this and now I realise that I can remember bugger all about the first book, so I’m spending most of the time thinking who the bloody hell is that?! Never mind I’m sure it’ll be fine

Craftsman
    I’ve read a couple of chapters on my lunch break today - looking forward to getting stuck into it properly

The audio version is also out once again read by Wil Wheaton.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    The audio version is also out once again read by Wil Wheaton.
    This is the version I bought, Wheaton did an excellent job with the first book so have high hopes for this one

Master
    Has anyone finished it yet? I have to admit I'm finding it quite hard going, the writing is really not brilliant.

Maybe I'm going off books... I've abandoned the latest Lee Child halfway through as well (I'll get back to it when I'm back in the office, just I usually destroy those on release day or the day after, but it's a bit rubbish.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Has anyone finished it yet? I have to admit I'm finding it quite hard going, the writing is really not brilliant.

Maybe I'm going off books... I've abandoned the latest Lee Child halfway through as well (I'll get back to it when I'm back in the office, just I usually destroy those on release day or the day after, but it's a bit rubbish.)
    Yup it's a fair old plod, I'm currently bogged down in the John Hughes section which is like reading about all his films on IMDB. I'll stick with it

Have a look at the amazon reviews before buying, it looks set to be a major disappointment.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Yup it's a fair old plod, I'm currently bogged down in the John Hughes section which is like reading about all his films on IMDB. I'll stick with it
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Have a look at the amazon reviews before buying, it looks set to be a major disappointment.
    etc etc

It’s a shame then as I really liked Ready Player One.
    I will hold off buying it just yet until I can get a copy second hand cheap......or one of you gents send me your copy after you’ve been disappointed by it. 😀

Blog Entries
    If I had a physical copy you'd be more than welcome to it but I have the audio version, saying that if I had a paper copy I think I'd have set it on fire by now

Master
    I've finished it, I'm afraid I can't pass it along though, the "710" wants a go of it first.

I might be a bit harsh here but I think it's been written "by the numbers" simply to adapt into a movie. Obviously a lot of work has gone into the nerdy side of things, but as a novel it's pretty crap - I like to think I'm pretty well up on pop culture but I found myself having to hold my place in the book and google some of the references.

Slow going, but really not all that bad a story when you've waded through it. It'll make a boat-load of money at the box office.

Blog Entries
    Finished it
    Terrible, just terrible
    1 star, would not recommend

Craftsman
    Funny I enjoyed it - read half the book last night as I couldn’t sleep at all

It’s not as good as the first by any stretch but I still enjoyed it

Master
    I'm about 20% of my way through it and it still feels like I'm reading the introduction. It rambles off into nowhere and seems to be throwing whatever it can at the wall to see what sticks. Couple that with incredibly bad writing and what the hell editing and it's a slog, He was never a good writer but this, compared to RP1 and his last starfighter rip offs ^H^H^H homages were a step above (so far). I'll reserve final judgement until I've finished but it's not looking great so far.

I’ve just finished the audio book.

Going against the majority, I enjoyed it and whilst it’s not as good as the first book, sequels very rarely eclipse the originals.

I think the audio version masks some of the issues people have with the physical copies due to the ease at which you process the information.

Nevertheless, it has made my car journeys enjoyable over the past week and the story was ok. Gets a solid 3 stars. Not earth shattering but perfectly acceptable.