closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thinking about my next car - poss electric and preferably SUV style - what's coming?

Thinking about my next car - poss electric and preferably SUV style - what's coming?

Yes, it's another "what car?" thread...

These days I go for contract leasing for my daily driver, and I made a mistake last time by probably not getting things sorted early enough.

I ordered a Jaguar iPace, but then three weeks before changeover was due, I was let down and told it would be another three months until delivery and the price would go up.

So I ended up securing (without even having sat in one) a Merc GLC Coupe 300 AMG Premium Line.

The Merc is a good car, loads of tech, drives very well, but boot is too small really, seats are hard, and the interior looks good but quality feels rather cheap for a car at this price point.

My general commute is around thirteen to fifteen miles each way. We have a holiday home that is about 190 miles away, which we use most school holidays. I wouldn't need to always use this car for that journey, but it would be nice to have the option.

I'm not due to change my current car until next September, but I want to get my order in very early this time.

I know that there are TZ'ers who keep a very close eye on the car market and will know what is due to be coming out in the next few months, so would welcome some input as to what to keep tabs on.

At the moment I could just go for an iPace - a friend has one, I've driven one at Milbrook and was impressed - typical Jag quality interior, great to drive, reasonable boot etc. But I wonder if by then it might start to be becoming "old tech" and there will be better options coming to market. For instance, the Polestar 2 looks pretty impressive - no idea if anyone here has one? And then there is the Tesla Model Y Performance, that should be out by then. The Audi E-Tron could be worth a look - bit dull though.

What else is worth a look, or due to be launched by the middle of next year?
    So clever my foot fell off.

I'm switching from X5 to the Jag I-Pace next year. My mate got one as a company car, and due to loads and loads of government promotions, the effective price went from 80 grand down to 37k Euros (mind you, if you buy as a company car). This is just an almost too-good-to-be-true offer, at least here in Austria where I live.

Also, it's an incredible car on its own. Drove it and felt in love immediately. The Tesla felt like a Chinese Lego knock-off in comparison.
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Master
    if you find the GLC too small thats the EQC gone as they are the same body, the i-pace isnt massive either, so if you want an SUV leaves the e-tron which i what i went with. 190 miles wont really be possible without stopping for a charge i wouldnt have thought, not comfortably anyway, but they charge so quickly that you will have enough top up if you use the loo and get something in a shop!

Try out a nice E-Tron, they can look well specced properly, and as its Q8 sized its nice and roomy. I prefer the audi interior over the jag personally as well.

Master
    The VW ID.4 is released soon for delivery next year. Might be a bit ‘slow’ for you compared to an iPace though.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    if you find the GLC too small thats the EQC gone as they are the same body, the i-pace isnt massive either, so if you want an SUV leaves the e-tron which i what i went with. 190 miles wont really be possible without stopping for a charge i wouldnt have thought, not comfortably anyway, but they charge so quickly that you will have enough top up if you use the loo and get something in a shop!

Try out a nice E-Tron, they can look well specced properly, and as its Q8 sized its nice and roomy. I prefer the audi interior over the jag personally as well.

That's interesting - I had in my head that the EQC was considerably bigger.

My GLC is the coupe version though, which while looking sleeker, really does lose a lot of boot space.

Whilst not huge, the standard GLC (and therefore EQC) have considerably more boot space than the coupe version, especially with the back seats down. I don’t find ours that much smaller than my previous E class estates.

There’s also the Ford Mustang due out soon which isn’t too dissimilar to the Polestar.

Any views on the Mustang Mach-E?

I do like performance, and I heard there is a performance version coming, but can't see anything about it on the Ford site.

I do also wonder if I should still consider a hybrid as an option (I only keep the cars two years usually). I did look at the Volvo XC60 and XC90 Twin Engine last time, which was very nice but the waiting list was massive.

Master
    Have you looked at the Landrover, my wife test drove a RR hybrid and it was very comfortable and good to drive. It would covers all my wife’s day to day run on electric.

The xc90 was lovely but found we were using the combustion engine more often than the batteries. You can switch but the mileage disappeared very quickly.
    Last edited by shoppy; 24th November 2020 at 11:39.

BMW iX is a weapon, but not sure when it’s due.

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    Have you looked at the Landrover, my wife test drove a RR hybrid and it was very comfortable and good to drive. It would covers all my wife’s day to day run on electric.

The xc90 was lovely but found we were using the combustion engine more often than the batteries. You can switch but the mileage disappeared very quickly.

Thanks for that - the Range Rover Sport hybrid is tempting.

I just have this fear (probably well founded) over reliability issues with Land Rover products.

As I have mentioned elsewhere previously, my neighbour took delivery of his 75k brand new Discovery HSE a day after my Merc arrived.

Within the first month or so his had been back to the delaer three or four times for faults, whereas my Merc has only beein the dealer once in the past year for it's annual service.

His Disco is a lovely thing, and beatiful to sit in - no question, but it is the aggro and hassle that makes me hesitate.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    BMW iX is a weapon, but not sure when it’s due.

Hadn't heard of that - thanks.

A quick google and it looks technically impressive for the range topper (v expensive though I expect), but truly hideous to look at.

Still, you don't see the outside from the driver's seat...

My BiL has the 530 hybrid - and it is very decent, with an interior significantly nicer than my Merc in terms of quality I feel.

Master
    hybrids are the worst of both world, useless electric range, need to be charged daily and you still have all the combustion engine issues to go wrong.

add that to a range rover and good luck

Sorry the EQC is basically the same as the GLC SUV (and the main reason i didnt bother was that i was also moving from a GLC) also the fact that it wasnt designed as an ev annoyed me a little.

the e-tron boot is considerably bigger than the GLC SUV boot.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

I just have this fear (probably well founded) over reliability issues with Land Rover products.

As I have mentioned elsewhere previously, my neighbour took delivery of his 75k brand new Discovery HSE a day after my Merc arrived.

Within the first month or so his had been back to the delaer three or four times for faults, whereas my Merc has only beein the dealer once in the past year for it's annual service.

His Disco is a lovely thing, and beatiful to sit in - no question, but it is the aggro and hassle that makes me hesitate.
    Jaguar are the same company. Plenty of disgruntled Jag owners on the net, including my mate who has had his fair share of the car being sat in the dealers

...but the name! would you by a car called T-urd? Because that's how the name reads in French.
    Mind you, many people bought a Pajero...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    I'd wait for the Model Y. Will be built (better) in Germany and have the latest battery tech. That's what I'm eyeing after, but probably towards end 2021 before it's on the roads in UK.

If you're going electric for your next car, it's not just about build quality. Software is equally important and here is where Tesla excels. Maybe worth renting some EVs in meantime to try out the various platforms.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    E-tron S sportback? It is supposed to be as quick as the I-pace I think and looks good with the body kit.
    I have a regular e-tron 55 and I like it. Fast enough for a family car and much easier to drive smoothly than the instant acceleration with the I-pace. Much more practical boot and decent visibility out the back too, unlike the I-pace.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Touch wood my first RR had a bad battery but I had been to Afghan and only done circa 5000 miles over 2 years- so not enough use which was fine and Landrover picked up the cost. My wife’s one has had a worn bearing and a faulty sensor over 3 years and both covered under warranty.

I am looking at getting a discovery for the 7 seats or a RR sport 7 seater. Both similar but very different, been on to many owner forums.
    Last edited by shoppy; 24th November 2020 at 13:46.

A quick google and it looks technically impressive for the range topper (v expensive though I expect), but truly hideous to look at.
    You could say the same about all SUVs being hideous to look at, and most modern cars in general (I really like the i3 for being so clever but don't for a minute think it's attractive to look at). If you want a massive SUV you can't worry about what it looks like, its function is to be massive.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    I like the look of the Skoda Enyaq

https://www.skoda.co.uk/discover/ele...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I suppose a Rimac C_Two isn't practical enough

https://ctwo.rimac-automobili.com/

We have an Ipace SE, it is very good, I have driven the E-tron and the tesla model x, it is miles ahead of both of those, it is faster, handles better, more refined, more comfortable and better finished the real range is 240 miles.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    We have an Ipace SE, it is very good, I have driven the E-tron and the tesla model x, it is miles ahead of both of those, it is faster, handles better, more refined, more comfortable and better finished the real range is 240 miles.
    easy tiger

its slower than a fast model x, less refined and practical than the e-tron, but handles best of the 3 ill grant that. i wouldnt say its finished any better than the audi either.

Craftsman
    I suppose a Rimac C_Two isn't practical enough

https://ctwo.rimac-automobili.com/
    Before or after Hammond has driven it?

Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    Before or after Hammond has driven it?
    Lol yeah!

Nico was in one recently (he's a buyer):

Way OT now, apologies TFB

Master
    Have a look at the X5, Q7 etc that all have an electric option that can do 30-40miles on a full charge (can do overnight) which will cover your daily drive by the looks of it. Then you have the normal engine for back up and long runs.

Master
    Ford mustang Mach E?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Way OT now, apologies TFB

I’m not sure how well that would go down in the staff car park...

The kids would like it though!

👍

Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    Ford mustang Mach E?

It does look quite interesting, but the top of the line one seems to be in the 70k region!

For a Ford?

Nothing wrong with Fords, my wife has an S-Max and it’s brilliant- but at a price point.

Master
    It does look quite interesting, but the top of the line one seems to be in the 70k region!

For a Ford?

Nothing wrong with Fords, my wife has an S-Max and it’s brilliant- but at a price point.
    I know what you mean but it's the mustang brand and they have no issues selling huge numbers of those. Top models of those are expensive. I know this is a very different vehicle.
    I think it compares well for the price with other similar electric vehicles, how much do BMW or Mercedes want for there electric SUVs??