closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Eddie's on ebay thread.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    There are three Tropicals on ebay.
    I made an offer on one, rejected. I was then planning to bid as it was listed at RRP, but the sale was ended - unsurprisingly - before I could.

How long till a monopusher appears on eBay? And at what price?

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    How long till a monopusher appears on eBay? And at what price?
    It is not a particularly good watch to flip, too expensive and niche compared to an Everest

Quote Originally Posted by fogar View Post
    It is not a particularly good watch to flip, too expensive and niche compared to an Everest
    There's only 100 of them out there. Two weeks tops. £1500.

Journeyman
    There are three Tropicals on ebay.
    Do people actually sell them with those mark ups? it's insane

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175002098...cAAOSw0DhhSdm7

Anyone looking for a white dial. It is the previous edition with S crown. Not mine.

A couple of reasonably priced watches have just come up

Dreadnought Voyager

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timefacto...-127635-2958-0

PRS9 Czech Air Force

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timefacto...-127635-2958-0

Quote Originally Posted by theflyingfisherman View Post
    He's sold 4 Everests on eBay in the last 12 months.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    He's sold 4 Everests on eBay in the last 12 months.

R
    So he knows he can get away with that price?, crazy

Really?

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Really?

Apologies. Sold three, selling a fourth.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

https://www.chrono24.de/all/smiths-c...id21850979.htm

Not eBay but chrono24

Just shy over 1000 euros

Both easy to identify for Eddie:

Quote Originally Posted by theflyingfisherman View Post
    https://www.chrono24.de/all/smiths-c...id21850979.htm

Not eBay but chrono24

Just shy over 1000 euros

Identifiable yes, but realistically how much can be done about it and what's the 'cost' of doing it?

R

Identifiable yes, but realistically how much can be done about it and what's the 'cost' of doing it?

R
    Blacklisting a buyer shouldn't be too much trouble. As Eddie doesn't take the money before shipping he can ultimately reverse the transaction if it's to the same address. Not completely foolproof but considering the difficulty people have to buy in the first place, another hurdle could suffice.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Blacklisting a buyer shouldn't be too much trouble. As Eddie doesn't take the money before shipping he can ultimately reverse the transaction if it's to the same address. Not completely foolproof but considering the difficulty people have to buy in the first place, another hurdle could suffice.
    I'm against blatant profiteering, but it seems it will be an ongoing issue and I don't like to think of Eddie having to spend increasing amounts of his time checking and collating those buyers plus dealing with the moaning they will likely come out with: "It's my watch and I'll do what I want with it', etc.

Maybe that it'll benefit all owners in the long run could be seen as a balance to it all?

R

The Commando was sold to Romania.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I'm against blatant profiteering, but it seems it will be an ongoing issue and I don't like to think of Eddie having to spend increasing amounts of his time checking and collating those buyers plus dealing with the moaning they will likely come out with: "It's my watch and I'll do what I want with it', etc.

Maybe that it'll benefit all owners in the long run could be seen as a balance to it all?

R
    Nobody says what Eddie should do.

I just furnished the info for convenience. Eddie will do what he wants.

Before anyone asks: we have a couple of members from Bucharest and Milano (Cermenate), but wasn't able to link it to any of them. There was a Fabio from Milano a couple of years ago, two posts and disappeared - but that's a looooooong shot in any case.

R
    Isn´t it only a ongoing issue because of the narrow, frustratingly so at times, window of opportunity to purchase and Tf´s limitations on the packing, shipping, fulfilment side...sell and ship more watches everyone´s a winner except the profiteering resellers. But I understand theres´constraints, worlds imperfect etc...from one pov it´s a sign of success, the different variations on the Everest theme replicating the original but unobtainable inspiration piece, in size- case design, has smashed it out the park.
    Last edited by Passenger; 14th December 2021 at 10:54.

It’s capitalism doing what capitalism does. I am at a loss why people are so stressed about it. With the sales model in place this is inevitable. Scalpers gonna scalp!

I agree and I'm suggesting anybody should.

I just furnished the info for convenience.
    As did I and others.

Eddie will do what he wants.
    I've no doubt about that!
    R

I just furnished the info for convenience. Eddie will do what he wants.

Before anyone asks: we have a couple of members from Bucharest and Milano (Cermenate), but wasn't able to link it to any of them. There was a Fabio from Milano a couple of years ago, two posts and disappeared - but that's a looooooong shot in any case.

Nuh! The forum is littered with posts ‘designed’ to push his buttons.............

(this one only slightly less blatant)

Sure - all the posters will claim innocence, but no................ I ain’t fooled.

If it was easy, Chris Kibble would have been banned two weeks ago.

Just realised it's 8 years yesterday since my Voyager arrived at my doorstep, Friday 13th! Ah the memories of the day I ordered it, sitting in my local at 9.30pm, 4 or 5 pints in, thinking "Bollocks, if I don't get one soon the second batch of 100 will soon be gone!". Phone out, order in. The following day no remorse, always a good sign. Wearing it as I type. Happy days.

PS. There was one on eBay the other day for $2,250! Good luck with that.
    Last edited by magirus; 14th December 2021 at 21:54.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackwibble View Post
    Easy for Eddie to check at least, number 007.

This really boils my bodily fluids.

I thought those lucky enough to get one of these would cherish it for the awesome dial and the celebration of timefactors success over the years, but no the new owners would prefer to profiteer on eBay, rather than offer it back to the community. Shame.
    Last edited by carryondentist; 19th December 2021 at 19:48.

"the new owners"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackwibble View Post
    You think that's a crazy price?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timefacto...-127632-2357-0

^^^^^

Looks like he's trying to set up a US Timefactors franchise............

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/mirrorraz...1&_ipg=&_from=

Strange as it might seem, Timefactors is now in a similar situation to Rolex.

Purchasing one has become increasingly difficult, with limited supply and having to be in the right place at just the right time to get one.

I'm fortunate enough to have had 4 of Eddie's watches of which I still have 3. 3 of the 4 were bought in a straightforward way from the shop. I've also bought straps etc from the shop with no bother.

I just can't see that happening anymore; when I read about the scramble to buy when the shop opens and that it's perhaps only open for seconds, I realise that even if I wanted I watch or a strap, it would be unlikely that I could do so.

The high demand coupled with low supply means that the door is wide open for some to make money on eBay etc.

I don't know what the answer is though. Increase prices? I hope not. Increase supply? Nice but as there's never certainty around sales that's a big risk for Eddie. Only allow buyers that have built up a purchasing history with the brand or maybe hold on to the warranty cards for a year or so? Oh, hang on...

Apprentice
    Not eBay but there’s a “Kai Wosnitza” in the “Diver’s Watches” Facebook group posting a black monopusher for €1500.

I quote verbatim from his sales post:

“For the ones who need to comment on the price, have in mind that taxes had to be paid and that this is most likely the only one available to buy”

Does timefactors make a record or do anything about flippers such as this guy?
    Last edited by Headspace1982; 20th December 2021 at 13:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Headspace1982 View Post
    Not eBay but there’s a “Kai Wosnitza” in the “Diver’s Watches” Facebook group posting a black monopusher for €1500.

I quote verbatim from his sales post:

“For the ones who need to comment on the price, have in mind that taxes had to be paid and that this is most likely the only one available to buy”
    The price is not that bad, considering the watch costs around €1400 in the EU

The price is not that bad, considering the watch costs around €1400 in the EU
    Nearly £1200?!

R

Nearly £1200?!

R
    The joys of VAT and Brexit

Journeyman
    The joys of VAT and Brexit
    Yup, my PRS-47 was nearly 500€, I enjoy it dearly but taxes make it expensive. Was thinkin on getting a Farer mono pusher but decided for the Airain Type 20 on pre-sale because I'll be getting more watch for almost the same out of pocket price.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I don't know what the answer is though. Increase prices? I hope not. Increase supply? Nice but as there's never certainty around sales that's a big risk for Eddie. Only allow buyers that have built up a purchasing history with the brand or maybe hold on to the warranty cards for a year or so? Oh, hang on...
    Increasing supply wouldn’t really help as Eddie only opens long enough to take the number of orders he can despatch in two week (I believe). Even then, he’s mentioned that his nephew often helps him.

What he would need to do is employ people to sort, pack and despatch the watches but is unwilling to do that (understandably IMO).

Whilst it may be disappointing for those of us unable to get a purchase in in the limited time available, from Eddie’s perspective it’s a case of not allowing the tail to wag the dog.

I take the other view.
    The lack of availability is the tail that is wagging the dog.
    Eddie has a pipeline of new, popular and to-be-restocked items that are simply not reaching their fans because there us not enough despatch capability.
    It makes no sense to me, as the whole issue of re-selling (and dissatisfaction with the lack of availability) are being maintained by a lack of one or two relatively low skilled (but responsible and meticulous) emoloyees.
    I know Eddie is not income-obsessed, but he could double turnover with the addition of 2 relatively cheap employees. That's a ludicrously cheap way to double the size of a reasonably large business.
    I suspect Eddie has the cashflow now to be restocking existing models quicker than he is, but there is no point with the current restricted flow.
    The tail is wagging the whole kennel
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post

...... he could double turnover with the addition of 2 relatively cheap employees. That's a ludicrously cheap way to double the size of a reasonably large business....
    Where would he put them, in the garage or in the shed?

The Eddie's on ebay thread.

No, you’re wrong; the business owner deciding where he wants to take the business is the dog wagging the tail.

The owner doing what the business demands is the tail wagging the dog.

Growing the business beyond Eddie’s wishes is definitely the latter.

Perhaps if Eddie was twenty years younger he’d see things differently and go down the route you have suggested, but perhaps not.

Or to put it another way; does Eddie own the business or the business own Eddie?
    Last edited by Dave+63; 21st December 2021 at 11:25.

I thought he had a dedicated workspace to the rear of his house? I'm sure he's posted about it (including pictures) in the distant past. He also had a (part-time) employee at one time, ISTR.
    ______

​Jim.

One way of getting the watches to different buyers might be a secret sale, advertised only in the bearpit or somewhere, midweek perhaps?

Might help some people get what they want.

Why would Eddie want to get them to different buyers? If he has 200 watches he just needs to sell them to whosoever will hand over the money. The hype around the watches from the buyers is great free advertising. The whole point of being in business is not to make watches, it is to make money.

There are other options. I designed and built a website for a company that sells medical equipment. The products go from the supplier to a fulfilment companies' warehouse, to the buyer, without being handled by the company that sells the product. Many online businesses operate this way now.

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Why would Eddie want to get them to different buyers? If he has 200 watches he just needs to sell them to whosoever will hand over the money. The hype around the watches from the buyers is great free advertising. The whole point of being in business is not to make watches, it is to make money.

Because some of the members here have bought several watches in the past and are likely to buy more in the future...if they're able.

The boom going on at the moment hardly needs more advertising and the watches may be going to one off buyers.

It wouldn't hurt the business to offer members here a chance to jump the line now and then.

I take the other view.
    The lack of availability is the tail that is wagging the dog.
    Eddie has a pipeline of new, popular and to-be-restocked items that are simply not reaching their fans because there us not enough despatch capability.
    It makes no sense to me, as the whole issue of re-selling (and dissatisfaction with the lack of availability) are being maintained by a lack of one or two relatively low skilled (but responsible and meticulous) emoloyees.
    I know Eddie is not income-obsessed, but he could double turnover with the addition of 2 relatively cheap employees. That's a ludicrously cheap way to double the size of a reasonably large business.
    I suspect Eddie has the cashflow now to be restocking existing models quicker than he is, but there is no point with the current restricted flow.
    The tail is wagging the whole kennel
    Dave
    I think it makes sense to Eddie.

R

I think it makes sense to Eddie.

R
    Fine for you Ralphy, you get sent many of them to dive with and photograph. Like most others, I don't

Fine for you Ralphy, you get sent many of them to dive with and photograph. Like most others, I don't
    Ralphy buys the watches he photographs.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".