closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Where do you buy dogs!?

Where do you buy dogs!?

We are looking for a dog, where do you buy them? I wouldnt buy a watch from gumtree either but dont know where to start... rescue not ideal as we have a little child of 4. Please any advice appreciated.

Champdogs is a good place to start.

Where are you, and what are you after?

Preloved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Always rescue my dogs. Currently have lots of pets all rescued, parrots, rabbits, tortoise, cats and 2 rescue dogs.
    Call a couple of rescue centres and have a chat with them, theyre normally very helpful. I also have a young daughter but the right rescue centre and the right dog can be found. Just dont rush, the dog will be with you for many years so its worth waiting and not rushing out and buying the first puppy that comes along

Dogs Trust.

pets4homes

Being as a lot of rescue places are putting minimum age limits on kids of between 8-12 years as loads of families are wanting pets now due to being bored in lockdown. Unfortunately when things briefly returned to normal(ish) the same rescue centres where inundated with the same families returning the pets as they realised how much work they are. The only real place for a family is places like pets4homes and few mentioned above but you'll be paying massively inflated prices as alot of "breeders" cottoned on early to this and drove prices up. I believe the average price for a puppy now is 3500 in the uk which is insane. Best bet is to join some groups on facebook, try local rescue centres. There alot of scams happening now as well so beware.

3,500! My pedigree boxer in 1980 was 75

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    Champdogs is a good place to start.

Where are you, and what are you after?
    Gloucestershire- I want a Jack Russell but any small terrier type would be good. Will look into them

Prices for bred dogs seem ridiculous!

local area. they are cheaper in the back of beyond out in the middle of nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by toastie View Post
    Always rescue my dogs. Currently have lots of pets all rescued, parrots, rabbits, tortoise, cats and 2 rescue dogs.
    Call a couple of rescue centres and have a chat with them, theyre normally very helpful. I also have a young daughter but the right rescue centre and the right dog can be found. Just dont rush, the dog will be with you for many years so its worth waiting and not rushing out and buying the first puppy that comes along
    We did when I was growing up but I heard they were reluctant to give them to families with small kids, we have been talking about it for while now but I can wait for the right dog thats for sure !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr G Imp View Post
    We did when I was growing up but I heard they were reluctant to give them to families with small kids, we have been talking about it for while now but I can wait for the right dog thats for sure !
    Some are definitely more reluctant than others but Ive always managed to find one. A few of my friends have had great success with the Romanian rescue dogs that there seems to be a lot of at the moment, join a few Facebook groups, talk to some local rescue centres and get a home visit done and then go from there, theyre reluctant to do much at the moment due to lockdown and people thinking it would be fun to have dog whilst at home, I suspect Christmas will just make this worse so you may be stuck till the new year.
    Another benefit of a rescue is the future back up and support should you need it.
    As stated above there are a lot of unscrupulous people out there overbreeding to keep up with demand so you could end up with a porly pup, inflated prices and in quite a few cases I know of no dog at all. Never part with money or leave a deposit for a dog you havent seen and never buy a dog if you are unable to view the parents at home. As I said join some Facebook groups and forums youll soon get the idea of what is and isnt happening and good luck finding your new family member

Its about finding the right combination! Just had a look through champdogs - not a lot going on there! Although quite a few frenchies but they are notoriously unhealthy. I will start approaching local rescues and see what they say

Master
    Battersea dogs home or the dogs trust.

... rescue not ideal as we have a little child of 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Battersea dogs home or the dogs trust.
    wat

Most decent breeders have not increased their prices at all

The sceptic in me would say Wait until life returns to normal and some of the current lockdown pets make it to the rescue kennels.

Personally my last 4 dogs have all come from breeders where I have been able to meet both parents of the litter and experience how the breeders interact, knowing also a good breeder is vetting me also. Have been on the waiting list now for one breeder for 18 months, but I am waiting for a particular standard of Great Dane.

Craftsman

Where do you buy dogs!?

Approach with caution

Having just been through the process of buying 2 dogs I can confirm that there are a lot of scammers out there, on Pets4Homes especially, I dont know exactly but I would imagine 1 in 5 adverts we replied to was a scam of some sort, thats not including the puppy farm breeders that also list on there

We got lucky and was personally recommended to a breeder by a friend and the timing was just about perfect

But if in doubt i would suggest using the breeders on the KC website

Im pretty sure most rescues wont let you have a dog with a 4 year old

And be prepared for the lockdown price increases, i know some have said decent breeders have not increased their prices, if thats true then they must have been 5 times dearer to start with

Last edited by J3w3ll3r; 24th November 2020 at 08:49.

Master
    People always seem to say they dont want a rescue dog when theyve got small children, and whilst I get the bit about not fully knowing a dogs background, its not like dogs that enter a family as puppies never end up biting people.

Find a good rescue centre, there will be plenty of dogs where their back story doesnt involve abuse and neglect, they just need a loving home.

Craftsman
    Get a rescue dog, you wont regret rehomimg a dog in need. Weve had our Staffy for 11 years and its been a great experience. The breed is recommended by KC as a fabulous family dog - ignore their reputation as a bad dog = bad owner. Spend some time understanding what breeds would suit you and your lifestyle. Understand having a dog is demanding and does impact on your lifestyle and freedom but the returns are immeasurable in companionship.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I think the issue is not getting a rescue dog but the fact the rescue wont give out dogs to familys with children under 10

That what I have always found

Jack Russell are lovely dogs... Full of character.
    I hope you know what you're doing, but in any case avoid a "working" line.

They are very clever. They are also, like most terriers, extremely stubborn. I know a guy locally who goes to Ashford with his, walks through the town, and back, without any lead at all, including when crossing the street(s). But his is really a one off.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Retired Greyhound Trust gave a dog to us with a 2 years old, the dog was matched to us as well as they could and it was a perfect 12 years.

Master
    Ive had 2 JRTs, one from a rescue centre, he was the loveliest natured dog ever, so loving. The other one was from a breeder, the nippiest little so and so you ever did meet! :-)

Master
    Pretty much all KC registered breeds have a breeds club. They will in all probability be able to advise you on the breed and have puppy co-ordinator who will point you in the right direction for a sound, healthy pup from a reputable breeder. As has been mentioned, a reputable breeder will be happy to show you the pups with their mum, and will be able to answer your questions about health (hip scores of mum and dad etc-not sure if that's relevant to terriers, but I'm sure you get the idea as most breeds have their own health issues). It's really important that you find a responsible breeder who will be your back-up if you have any problems with your pup as it develops, especially if you have limited knowledge of the breed. I would be inclined to steer clear of breeders who have massively inflated their puppies price due to lockdown as this suggests to me that all they are interested in is the money. Good luck with your search.

Dogs Trust.

They won't place a dog with you that won't work in your home.
    Dogs Trust put the dogs welfare above your need for a dog.
    You avoid all of the puppy farmers and do a good thing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    3,500! My pedigree boxer in 1980 was 75
    Rolex increases

Pets4Homes

Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    Approach with caution

Having just been through the process of buying 2 dogs I can confirm that there are a lot of scammers out there, on Pets4Homes especially, I dont know exactly but I would imagine 1 in 5 adverts we replied to was a scam of some sort, thats not including the puppy farm breeders that also list on there

I've recently put down the deposit on a (silver/charcoal) Labrador-Retriever which we're due to collect just after Christmas.

Our last dog (another Labrador Retriever) passed away two years ago at Christmas, and I think it's taken us all this long to be ready for another!!

I wanted a pedigree-puppy from a KC and Local Authority approved breeder, the dog is 4,200 (including VAT) and I checked the breeder/seller's KC registration number, VAT number, registered company address and also that the bank account details that I paid the deposit to matched the company name.

..... and as soon as I paid the deposit the breeder's ad's disappeared from Pets4Homes!!

We've had great communication and plenty of updates since so I'm sure all is well (fingers crossed!) but I don't think I'd buy via Pets4Homes again without seeing the dog first.

The "trouble" is, with the lockdowns due to covid.....the prices of dogs has gone crazy! Doubled tripled or more in price this year.

I got a cockerpoo from pets4homes turns out is was only 15 minutes from my house...I went there to visit the dog...I didnt pay a deposit, the person selling the pup could see we (myself and my daughter) really wanted the dog, so we arranged to pick it up the week after, when it had had all its vaccs. etc.

There were a few "scammers" on there though...People asking for deposits, and put it in their "girlfriends/boyfriends/mother/etc bank accounts....This is without seeing the dog!! No doubt some people get caught out...There is or was! a scheme on there, whereby the seller can"sign in" to a deposit account...which basically means that the seller doesnt get the deposit, until youve picked up and paid for the dog when its ready.......Im sure it says on the website, not to pay anything, until youve at least seen the dog, and put the deposit in the "safe" deposit way.

No doubt though, people still get scammed .

As for people suggesting dogs trust and getting a "re-homed" dog, it is of course great advice...its something Ive done in the past. However!!! With this covid lark, even dogs trust are getting literally hundreds of applications for each and every dog!

Our last dog died a few years ago...it wasnt until this year .....we were "ready for one again...sods law! Covid put the prices right up!

Good luck in your hunt for a new dog O.P.

Wow sounds like a minefield out there, I have no idea what the prices for dogs were before lockdown...I think local is the way to go so I can actually meet the dog - when looking on pets for homes or similar sites, they are showing pictures of week old puppys, that doesnt really show me anything!

We're now into week 9 of our new mutt, rehomed from the Dogs trust at 150.00 an 18 month old Fell terrier, he's working out just fine.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    We're now into week 9 of our new mutt, rehomed from the Dogs trust at 150.00 an 18 month old Fell terrier, he's working out just fine.
    He looks lovely and good on you for rehoming him 👍

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    He looks lovely and good on you for rehoming him 👍
    He's turning out just fine, he's the second 'rescue mutt' we've adopted - can't imagine getting a dog any other way though I know people's circumstances will vary.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Grand looking little chap,cant help but love terrier temperament .

Chinese restaurants. Great deals after the lockdown. Got him pretty cheap. In fact, cheaper than a regular lunchbox.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Nice! I checked dogs trust but they dont have dogs available for families with young kids. Those dogs really need a good home its great that people are taking them on.

Master
    Speak to your local vet (a recommended one if poss) as they will be in contact with breeders all the time. They will know of good breeders and of puppies being born soon or being weaned. A vet may not (for professional reasons) be able to directly advise but may "point you in the right direction"! My daughter is a vet nurse and has plenty of horror stories about "home breeders" who were actually total scam artists, producing sickly pups, some with birth defects and yet supposedly having "Kennel Club Cetrtification" (which are very well faked!).

Remember, a dog is for life!

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Most decent breeders have not increased their prices at all
    Sadly, most breeders I know have had to hike their prices so they guarantee their dogs go to the right owners, rather than being sold competitively, and subsequently sold on for a profit to owners they havent vetted.

Nice! I checked dogs trust but they dont have dogs available for families with young kids. Those dogs really need a good home its great that people are taking them on.
    Yeah we had that problem with dogs trust after our first pre-kids dogs trust rescue passed away, wouldn't touch us with a 6&8 yr old.

In the end we rescued 2 from pets4homes.

I know that site has a bad rep on here, full of puppy farms and scammers, but there is, or certainly was when we were looking, lots of dogs on there up for free or 50 or so that just need homes. If the dog is free, it's not a puppy farm or a stolen dog or a scammer is it? Site's like that shouldn't really exist, those free mutts are in danger of being picked up by dog fighters etc, so one argument is, don't use the site and it will disappear, but my view was, 1 dog rescued from there by me, is 1 less available to someone dodgy.
    Or 2