closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Later Life Sudden Allergies

Later Life Sudden Allergies

Today was certainly interesting for me: 1015am I was sat in the work tea-bar drinking coffee and eating a banana. At about 1025 my hands started to itch like mad. By 1030am I was laid out on my back in a medical centre with an oxygen mask on, covered in hives, swelling eyes and a tongue so large it could've satisfied Katie Price no problem. Then it was off to the hospital where I was kept in for five hours purely to be observed due to the amount of adrenaline I'd been injected with. And I got a massive hyrdrocortisone injection in the arse which hurt like buggery. I found it all very strange and to be honest, quite scary - especially because I'm almost 50 and have never had a reaction to anything before.
    Anyway, I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow but I'd be interested to hear anyone else's experience of sudden unexpected allergic reactions and what happened next.
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Lampoc; 23rd November 2020 at 22:40. Reason: Amend title

Eeek!

Suddenly allergic to bananas?

Is that a recognised phenomenon ? You'll have googled it already

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Eeek!

Suddenly allergic to bananas?

Is that a recognised phenomenon ? You'll have googled it already
    Possibly. I can't be sure what caused it yet but I'm assuming I'll get tests of some sort at some point. What's also weird is that I had dried banana and granola for breakfast (like I do pretty much everyday) with no effects at all.

Craftsman
    No where near as bad as that but I developed hayfever when in the RAF after the local farmers all started growing Rape.

Sounds very strange, sure it was the banana? Haven't upset Putin recently?

Anyway, glad you're okay. From what I've (just) read often associated with a latex allergy.

I wear rubber gloves all the time- the ones that have tripled in price over the last 8 months. About 5 years ago my hands started to react very badly to them and I would come out in intense itchy water filled spots which would burst and then cover my hands with painful cracks. I was under the quack on all sorts of creams etc and they believed i was allergic to the powder they put in them. Whether it was the latex or the powder I don’t know however I remember at the time the doc asking if I was allergic to anything else and bananas was one of them...can’t remember why but have you any issue with latex?

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    ...can’t remember why but have you any issue with latex?
    None at all - I've never had an issue with anything in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    None at all - I've never had an issue with anything in the past.
    Ah ok, looks like KS had it covered however thought it’s as worth a mention.....very strange.

Interesting:

https://www.healthline.com/health/ba...ergy#incidence

I was going to ask if maybe the area you were in had been cleaned with something that made you react but your symptoms fit banana allergy almost perfectly. Weird!

Not as bad as you, but I have developed allergic reaction to a wide range of fruit, especially apples, in late life.

Also, birch pollen allergy has developed in late life which is so bad it causes nocturnal asthma. Only in March/April/May when birch pollen is is full swing and al lot worse on still sunny days.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Not as bad as you, but I have developed allergic reaction to a wide range of fruit, especially apples, in late life.

Also, birch pollen allergy has developed in late life which is so bad it causes nocturnal asthma. Only in March/April/May when birch pollen is is full swing and al lot worse on still sunny days.
    I've just been reading about how people with banana allergies should "avoid other cross-reactive foods, including avocadoes, chestnuts, kiwi, apples, carrots, celery, papaya, potatoes, tomatoes, and melons.". I'm not sure how I'd live without potatoes and tomatoes.

Since when has 50 been late life?

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Since I turned 40 :P
    Maybe "Later" Life would be more appropriate - I have updated the title.
    Last edited by Lampoc; 23rd November 2020 at 22:42.

Mussels! No idea why but after years of eating mussels with no problems they now cause agonising stomach cramps and vomiting. Took three occasions before I narrowed it down!

Lol. Indeed!

I had a similar episode after having king prawns for lunch many years ago. Itching, rash on my chest and arms, and tongue swelling. I’ve always eaten prawns, and continue to do so, very carefully, today. It turns out I’m allergic to the shell, but perfectly ok with the seafood itself.

I carry an epipen when I go on holiday and eat anywhere I don’t know that well.

I have a friend who is allergic to anything with natural yellow colouring so no bananas, yellow peppers etc. and bizarrely he was in hospital for around a week after a yellow fever jab, so maybe even the word yellow can be dangerous!

Lamps, sorry to hear but glad you're ok. When I was about 20 out of nowhere I became lactose intolerant which came with crippling cramps which would sometimes drop me to my knees. Recently I'm coming out in huge rashes after certain foods. I thought it was spicy food so stopped but I think it might be sugar. The trial and error continues.

Grand Master
    Sorry to hear about the OP’s ordeal, sounds very strange. Glad he’s OK.

At the age of approx 45 I developed a mild allergy to certain types of apples and pears, tingling around the lips and an itchy throat approx 10 minutes after eating one. I still eat apples, sometimes I get the reaction and sometimes I don’t, but it's not severe enough to put me off.

I suffer with hay fever and get itchy skin in summer. when walking through grass, but I’ve had that from the age of 11 and at 62 I've given up hope of growing out of it.

The body’s immune system is complex and unpredictable!

I once took a few bites of a raw onion as a joke which made my lips blow up like Lesley Ash - kinda odd as eat onion regularly in salads with absolutely no effect.

Identical to a previous post...

At about age 40 I developed an allergy to Prawns. If I eat them now I get red blotches all over with itches and a temperature.

I would say that my GP states it could be moreso to do with changes in the prawn industry than me mind (he alluded to the food the prawns eat being different now given fish farming).

I don’t suppose you had taken any aspirin or ibuprofen earlier that morning, or even the night before? I had exactly the same symptoms as you a few years ago. Ibuprofen was my drug of choice for hangover recovery for years on end... and then suddenly out of nowhere... bang... exactly what happened to you. I had suddenly developed an intolerance to NSAIDs (non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs).

Gary

40 - the old age of youth

50 - the youth of old age

I never knew it as I have never been stung by a wasp or bee until my mid 40’s a few years ago, now be stung by a wasp 3 times in the last 2 years and the area swells like a balloon and lasts about a week..

Getting older ehh!!

Thanks to everyone for their replies - some interesting stuff to ponder. Just got off the phone to the doc and I'm being referred to an allergy clinic for tests. What fun!

Blimey that would've been an alarming experience, glad you're OK Lamps.

So far so good, I'm only mildly allergic to cat hair.
    Last edited by Passenger; 24th November 2020 at 09:59.

My ex grew into a shellfish allergy. It started off with mild sickness which we thought was a bad batch of mussels, but the reaction grew quite severe in subsequent months/meals. My old boss's wife is a bee keeper, and she also developed an allergy to bee stings ending up with anaphylaxis and a flashing blue light trip to hospital.

My wife gets the mild tingly reaction with some fruits mentioned in the thread. This has been increasing recently.

I got hay fever for the first time 2 years ago. Had it again last year, and a very mild dose this year. Unsure whether it's a new development or just unusual pollen conditions.

So yeah, you can develop new allergies.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The body’s immune system is complex and unpredictable!
    I gave up smoking this summer, and my immune system tried to kill me in retaliation

Smoking suppresses the immune system, so unbeknown to me it was actually keeping my faulty immune system in check. When I gave it up my immune system went into overdrive. Consequently I'm now on daily tablets and bi monthly infusions which weaken my immune system........ just what you want in the middle of a worldwide pandemic

I reckon the OP has developed a reaction to the steel used in Titoni divers........so send them to me, and your problem will be cured :-).

Hope it goes well for you Lampoc
    Last edited by catflem; 24th November 2020 at 12:34.

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    I gave up smoking this summer, and my immune system tried to kill me in retaliation

Smoking suppresses the immune system, so unbeknown to me it was actually keeping my faulty immune system in check. When I gave it up my immune system went into overdrive. Consequently I'm now on daily tablets and bi monthly infusions which weaken my immune system........ just what you want in the middle of a worldwide pandemic

I reckon the OP has developed a reaction to the steel used in Titoni divers........so send them to me, and your problem will be cured :-).

I remember you'd mentioned this in a BP thread, that's just incredible, so counterintuitive. If it's not impolite, how long/much were you smoking...be well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I remember you'd mentioned this in a BP thread, that's just incredible, so counterintuitive. If it's not impolite, how long/much were you smoking...be well.
    Fags - 43 years, 20 to 30 a day
    Joints - 30 years, at least one a day :-)

Fags - 43 years, 20 to 30 a day
    Joints - 30 years, at least one a day :-)
    Good on you for trying to stop, that's a fair number of fags...I read somewhere that mj's got some anti covid benefits, and there's always edibles.

Interesting that. I gave up smoking 7 yrs ago and since then my immune system has gone bonkers and decided it didn't like my Thyroid gland anymore and decided to destroy it.

I've always had bad reactions to wasps, bees and sometimes mozzies. The worst i remember was what i think was a horse fly, felt a stab in the back of calf while fishing, turned round and there was blood trickling down the back of my leg, 2 days later it was swollen all the way down to my ankle and up to my knee, couldn't bend either of them. Or while on a cycling holiday in the middle of Turkey, a wasp hit me in the side of the head, got stuck between my helmet and glasses, so stung me on the temple. Felt proper rough after that, struggled to breath and catch my breath the rest of the day, next day half my face was swollen and 1 eye swollen shut.

Edit
    How could i forget this one
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...4-Wasps-advise
    Post #45
    Last edited by Brighty; 24th November 2020 at 13:47.

Oh crikey - I gave up smoking almost 3 years ago. I wonder if it's a factor!

Yep, in my mid 50s I developed a severe intolerance to wheat (inflamed stomach/intestines) and an allergy to the dairy protein Casein (severe itchy rashes, Rhinitis and wheezing). Prior to this, throughout my life, I had eaten both these things without any ill effects whatsoever.

Now it's gluten-free bread (not great) and very little cheese. I can eat Vegan cheese but I don't, as it's truly vile.

Grand Master
    Strangest allergic reaction I’ve suffered was associated with strawberries.

This was back in my schooldays at the age of 15, I remember it well because it was bloody embarrassing. My school had plenty of tennis courts, so those of us with a sporting inclination played tennis at lunchtime. A tournament had been arranged and I was playing a keen rival so the match was a full- blooded contest. School dinner was guzzled down rapidly, including strawberry flan, prior to the match. It was a hot summer day and towards the end of the match I started with an itch around bollocks. Owing to the sizeable crowd observing proceedings this was an itch that I really couldn't scratch, so I carried on regardless in considerable discomfort. After the match I had a quick shower then dashed to the next lesson, but by the time I arrived I was covered in red blotches and feeling very uncomfortable. This lasted a couple of hours then disappeared quickly, I felt fine with no itching or after - effects, My mum insisted on taking me to the doctors but there was little point.

I’ve eaten strawberries many times since and never had a reaction, but I’ve never forgotten the incident, strawberry allergy is well- documented but it still seems odd to have one isolated reaction.

Craftsman
    Have a reaction now to peanuts (make me cough)but snickers bars give me flu like symptoms for a few hours very strange

Glad you recovered and hopefully you’ll get sorted.

During lockdown this summer I developed excruciating painful itching on my arms, mainly just above both elbows and tricep area. I haven’t a clue what is causing it but it’s with me 24-7 and is effecting my sleep. Nigh impossible to get an appointment with doctor, so have been applying E45 anti-itch cream, still with me and still in pain. I turn 49 in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Guz View Post
    Glad you recovered and hopefully you’ll get sorted.

During lockdown this summer I developed excruciating painful itching on my arms, mainly just above both elbows and tricep area. I haven’t a clue what is causing it but it’s with me 24-7 and is effecting my sleep. Nigh impossible to get an appointment with doctor, so have been applying E45 anti-itch cream, still with me and still in pain. I turn 49 in January.
    Possibly dermatitis herpetiformis. Get yourself a blood test for coeliac disease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RABbit View Post
    Possibly dermatitis herpetiformis. Get yourself a blood test for coeliac disease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks sir, yes I definitely need to get on the ball and do something about it.

Funny I just looked up coeliac disease (as you do) on NHS website and it mentions barley in beers, I’ve never been able to drink a lot and would suffer severe hangovers. Depending on which beer I took my face and neck would explode with red itchy blotches.

The joys !! Thanks again for the reply:-)

Master
    The Woke. Gives me the shits.