closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Who makes kindling?

Who makes kindling?

I've got a lot of logs, all seasoned and cut to size, and I've been buying net bags of kindling. Having run out of kindling this weekend, it occurred to me I could just make my own by splitting a few of the logs I already have. I've done about a weeks worth, but it was heavy going using a quite blunt old log splitter, so I'd like to ask what tool other people use for the job? A smaller hand axe? A sharper log splitter?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    I've got a lot of logs, all seasoned and cut to size, and I've been buying net bags of kindling. Having run out of kindling this weekend, it occurred to me I could just make my own by splitting a few of the logs I already have. I've done about a weeks worth, but it was heavy going using a quite blunt old log splitter, so I'd like to ask what tool other people use for the job? A smaller hand axe? A sharper log splitter?
    Log selection is key for kindling.

Straight, relatively knot free, cut to right length etc.

Don’t waste time tryin on timber that is not as above. Softwood is best of kindling in general. Or else Ash if hardwood.

Use a big axe and don’t waste time with a small “hand” one.

Craftsman
    Scrap/broken pallets, handsaw, hand-axe, Job done.

Try your local builders merchants for scrap pallets and stillage timber, several I know of have a help yourself box, even include split lengths of planed timber, all nice and dry...and free!
    I do batches of 2-3 dustbin sized lots, use my bandsaw to cut to length then a sandvik hatchet to split if needed
    therapeutic!

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post
    i seem to remember that some pallets have been treated with a chemical that is poison when burnt. not all of them but some have

Old pallets (or similar UNTREATED) wood and a small Fiskars axe.
    Job done.

Make sure you use a piece of wood to hold the piece you are splitting to keep your fingers well clear.

I use an old, battered Butcher's cleaver for splitting the fine stuff.

I use a hatchet (single hand axe), or a billhook, or sometimes even a froe (blade you place on the log and then hit the back of with a mallet). Those are increading order of precision, froes are also used to make split shingles (which is very therapeutic if you have a few days to spare).
    D

Splitting with the maul needn't be exhausting - there's a lot in the technique to let the maul do the work and save your back and arms. However, for making fine kindling it isn't the best. I'd suggest a sufficiently large fixed blade knife and a batton. Or the froe as recommended by sweets.

Can you be more specific about what axe you're currently using e.g. dimensions, head weight, head design etc.?

There are some devices that take a lot of the effort out too. I'll try and find a link.

e.g.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kindling-...Cclp%3A2334524
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 23rd November 2020 at 15:55.

I'll ask my houseboy and report back.

I use a Fiskars X11 splitting axe for making kindling. It's brilliant.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies everyone, lots to think about. I do have an infinite supply of pallets from the farm next door, so could use them if I need, but it seemed a good opportunity to use the wood currently in the log store, and under a tarp outside. We had a couple of big trees cut down last year, so I've got lots of logs to be going at. I think I'll try the Fiskars axe mentioned above, and as 893bet says, be selective about which logs I try and split, I discovered that today on the few i did, some are not meant to be split!

Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post
    I use a Fiskars X11 splitting axe for making kindling. It's brilliant.

Thats the same one I have. Its a great bit of kit - particularly for the price!

You just need a couple of ukuleles

As in - what's a ukulele good for? Kindling for a banjo fire

(I haven't burned any of my ukes yet)

Master
    Fiskar splitting axe is what I use.

Very therapeutic, any wood can be used if you chop small enough, but softwood like pine is what is usually seen.

I have a large stump from a previous tree that I do all my splitting on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I make my own kindling using a log splitter

Well worth the investment, IMO.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Forest-Mast...141584&sr=8-16

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

small splitting axe on kiln died softwood . for bulk fuel we buy dried hardwood but occasionally a m3 of softwood specifically for kindling for us and a neighbour - which we split ourselves as needed - saving a fortune compared to buying tiddly quantities of pre-cut. our neighbour barters the bags of kindling for garden fresh veg

as mentioned above pick the straighter less knotty bits for kindling.

seasoned ash also splits and kindles well (as also stated above)

Master
    I ripped out about 3 lathe and plaster walls - perfect, although a little dusty

I just split down a log with a hand axe - one log does about a weeks worth of kindling - only need a tiny amount to start the fire. Certainly wouldn’t pay for kindling.

I’ve always made my own kindling. It can be splitting logs; Ash works best. But I’ve a builder friend who has given me sack loads of joist off cuts which are great. Plus I burnt my father in laws old fence and an old shed. I bought a Draper hand axe off Amazon and it’s been superb for many years Service.

Journeyman
    When filling your log basket. just pick a straight knot free log. Split it down into kindling with a sharp hand axe.
    My logs are a mix of dry, hard and softwood.

I certainly wouldn't bother with pallet's, they're more bother than they're worth.

Master
    The wife collects it when walking the dog - she's usually foraging for something or other year round.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post

Is the perfect answer.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    I tend to use a normal size axe and split non-knotted logs down.

Tried pallets, took ages to saw and break them apart. Have got a small hatchet don’t find it gets much use.

Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    I tend to use a normal size axe and split non-knotted logs down.

Tried pallets, took ages to saw and break them apart. Have got a small hatchet don’t find it gets much use.
    A rip saw or even a jig saw will make very short work of a pallet.
    Last edited by Andyg; 25th November 2020 at 21:24.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    A rip saw or even a jog saw will make very short work of a pallet.
    I've got a reciprocating saw from screwfix, 34 quid. Breaks down a pallet in minutes. With the wood/metal blade you can cut through the nails as well.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mac-allis...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    A rip saw or even a jog saw will make very short work of a pallet.
    Actually that’s a good point, got one last winter that can supposedly chew through nails according to the reviews so would make that a lot easier. Last time I tried was with a crowbar and hand saw so not the most efficient!

Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    Actually that’s a good point, got one last winter that can supposedly chew through nails according to the reviews so would make that a lot easier. Last time I tried was with a crowbar and hand saw so not the most efficient!
    Oh, that’s hard work. The nice thing with using a rip/jig saw is you can get your kindling to the desired length (about 8” is my preference).

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    Log selection is key for kindling.

Straight, relatively knot free, cut to right length etc.

Don’t waste time tryin on timber that is not as above. Softwood is best of kindling in general. Or else Ash if hardwood.

Use a big axe and don’t waste time with a small “hand” one.
    This. A larger axe using its weight to do the work is far easier than using a hand axe.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Who makes kindling?

Thanks for the replies everyone, lots to think about. I do have an infinite supply of pallets from the farm next door, so could use them if I need, but it seemed a good opportunity to use the wood currently in the log store, and under a tarp outside. We had a couple of big trees cut down last year, so I've got lots of logs to be going at. I think I'll try the Fiskars axe mentioned above, and as 893bet says, be selective about which logs I try and split, I discovered that today on the few i did, some are not meant to be split!
    If big trees, therefore thick logs, remember the drying rate is about 1inch per year (from all sides, of course - not linear) and the wood should be well seasoned before burning.

Less of a prob if you are just using it for kindling tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After struggling a bit with my big old splitting axe, Mrs Bert got me a Fiskars X11 for Christmas, I love it, makes it a very easy job. Thanks to those that replied.

As others have mentioned, I use a sharp hand axe. I cut down delivered logs, off cuts from trimming trees in the garden and any scraps of wood into kindling and haven't bought any for years. Works perfectly for lighting the woodburner. Probably (definitely!) not the most efficient for production on an industrial scale but simple and quick for the amounts I get through.

Craftsman
    After struggling a bit with my big old splitting axe, Mrs Bert got me a Fiskars X11 for Christmas, I love it, makes it a very easy job. Thanks to those that replied.
    Ha, I also unwrapped a Fiskars X11 yesterday having seen this thread earlier!!

Master
    we have a very large willow tree in our garden,when twigs and smaller branches fall we put them in a ventilated barrel and they make very good kindling.when i need to chop some i use this.i have other axe's but they dont have the same appeal...
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 27th December 2020 at 10:57.

I cut up the logs and Mrs A makes the kindling.

As has been said, scrap pallet wood is excellent. I break the pallet and she does the rest.

I break off the bark and use that. Pretty easy solution.

Master
    Dried cones mare good kindling too

Master
    If you are going to use an axe and have never used one, do realize that these are dangerous tools that can continue their swing if you miss (and even when you hit). Ensure that you have a large chopping block with room to position the piece to split towards the far end so the axe always ends up in the block and not your leg. If you use an axe with a short handle, the block should be high enough so the axe hits the log while on its way straight down, not further in its swing already towards your lower body parts.
    For splitting a fullsized log use an axe, down to about a quarter or an 8th. There are ways to continue splitting the thinner sections without propping them up and trying to hit a small target. Search YouTube for Ray Mears and use of an axe. Alternatively, use a froe or another sturdy long blade to beat through the sticks with a baton or a wooden mallet. Not dangerous at all at that stage and you can make quite thin kindling.
    Good axes are Gransfors Bruks, Wetterling, Hultafors (Hults Bruks), amongst others. Fiskars are popular and not very expensive. Get sharpening implements as well and practice with them, a blunt cutting tool is dangerous.
    It takes time to get the hang of using an axe. I've been doing it for a decade and am still learning. And I am not even felling trees which is a wholly different thing from splitting firewood. If kindling is the goal and not just splitting a round log in four quarts I would not use a long, heavy axe. My personal favorite for splitting logs is a Gransfors Bruks Small Splitting axe (which is a real small splitting maul), and for making kindling either the Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe or a froe-style long knife. Google 'Skrama'. And get a section of thick tree trunk about a metre long and at least some 50 cm diameter to set up as your chopping block in the yard.

Skrama bush tool. From Finland. Many serious bush people around the planet consider this to be one of the best chopping blades, and the best for the money period. Great for making kindling, clearing brush and generally anything that needs powerful cutting or light chopping. Nasty blackthorn bush wil try to pull op its roots and run if you wave this thing at it. Explain to police this is a brush clearing/ wood working tool, not a sword. Maybe they will believe you.

For scale compared to a fairly large knife:

The knife is a puukko from the same source, with a 140 mm blade. Great for vey small kindling btw, once you have split it down from a big log with your axe and Skrama.

Note that axes and chopping knives plus their sharpening gear can draw you down a rabbit hole into another potentially expensive wonderland similar to Watch Country. But at least they help you keep your house warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Fschwep View Post
    ...snip...
    Amen Fschwep.

The Skrama is a phenomenal tool, and a complete set when paired with a smaller knife. I choose between axe/Skrama plus saw depending on my mood, though each can fill the role of the other with sufficient skill if weight is an issue.

The Silky Zubat is essentially a manual chainsaw given how it shreds through wood so incredibly quickly. The Skrama chops like nobody's business. The GB SmFA is rather good fun too, and with the right technique you can split things down into pencil thickness.