closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shocking Breitling B55 Repair Cost! Beware if considering a purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Its quartz, so a maintenance service will be a battery and seal at most.
    Still, it's cheap if you compare to Omega for example.

Last Aerospace battery change and seals/pressure test (compulsory) - £145.

Craftsman
    I would suggest getting your watch back, without the work being carried out. Then source the part from somewhere else. Crazy money.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Master
    You'll occasionally see an Aerospace on Ebay, listed as spares/repair due to movement failure. They always get bid up to £700+, no doubt due to uninformed bidders thinking an independent £100 quartz service will get it sorted and then they'll have a £1k+ watch when fixed.

Then a few weeks later the same watch appears again from a different seller...

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Can you please link to something that supports the 6 years being thought reasonable for a quality item? Apologies if I'm overlooking that you have already. I can see that the time limit for claims is 6 years but also that certainty on a refund beyond 6mths looks to be dependent on proving the fault existed on receipt.

Whilst I agree Breitling's estimate is ridiculous and I'd expect it to be fixed for free, or minimal cost, I wouldn't expect to be able to prove the clasp was faulty on purchase hence any formal claim would hinge on succeeding in pricing a clasp ought to reasonably last longer (we think it should but proving that in an isolated case would be challenging).
    https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...ntents/enacted

The watch isn’t fit for purpose if you can’t wear it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...ntents/enacted
    The watch isn’t fit for purpose if you can’t wear it.
    It clearly was fit for purpose when supplied but my query was asking you for a link to support your comment that 6 years had been unofficially agreed as reasonable for a quality item (if unofficially agreed that won't be in the legislation).
    Last edited by deepreddave; 23rd November 2020 at 20:17.

BREITLING UPDATE!!

I received a call this later this afternoon from a very nice lady at Breitling U.K who have confirmed that the replacement buckle/clasp will be replaced free of charge and there is no need for a service either!

She confirmed that the buckle should not have failed in just 4 years and indicated that Breitling Switzerland have agreed to cover the cost.

Thanks for all of your well measured comments and support. You’ve been a great help!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    From what I've seen of the main brand servicing/spares costs in the motherland (Switzerland), Breitling's charges seem quite high when compared to competing brands. That was the case even before CVC partners arrived on the scene.

I agree with those who have suggested getting the watch back and and trying another route. If you prefer to carry on dealing with Breitling UK, I'd certainly challenge it hard and argue the clasp was not of merchantable quality (although it's hard to prove you've barely worn it). Another option could be to contact Breitling in Switzerland and highlight the lunacy of the Breitling UK quote.

Result! Pleased for you

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 44Gunner View Post
    BREITLING UPDATE!!

I received a call this later this afternoon from a very nice lady at Breitling U.K who have confirmed that the replacement buckle/clasp will be replaced free of charge and there is no need for a service either!

She confirmed that the buckle should not have failed in just 4 years and indicated that Breitling Switzerland have agreed to cover the cost.

Thanks for all of your well measured comments and support. You’ve been a great help!
    Huzzah! Victory!

Master
    BREITLING UPDATE!!

I’d update your OP with that... many folk won’t get this far through the thread and it deserves the outcome to be known.

- - - Updated - - -

PS well done!

This is rubbish.

What are we going to moan about now?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    This is rubbish.

What are we going to moan about now?
    I know... ROLEX!!!

Excellent news!

Craftsman
    That’s great news.
    Thanks for the update.

Red face

Doh!!

I was hoping to a get a cheap service on my old Navitimer!!

I thought a service on a Qtz analogue meant a stripdown, Clean and relube

John

Excellent news! I was about to chip in with the highly insightful and useful comment of, “I ain’t buying no Breitling ever”, only for you to change my opinion, in one fell swoop.

Congratulations!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BREITLING UPDATE!!

WooHoo!!

Brilliant result!!

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Doh!!

John
    Considering what it cost you, you should treat the old girl John..
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    I had a new watch stop, when I returned it to the dealers they got a quote from Breitling and they said it needed new glass. It still has the stickers on it from new.

No more Breitling for me.

Blog Entries
    BREITLING UPDATE!!

After all the poisonous comments - how about making this response public maybe on FB pages and social media. I’ve always had good experiences with Breitling and BUK. Maybe change the title of your post? It’s a shame that Breitling didn’t state this at the beginning.

glad it worked out in the end.

m
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 23rd November 2020 at 22:28.

For what it's worth I wouldn't change the title of the thread but I would sell that watch the second I got it back and never touch Breitling again. Your story isn't an isolated one and regardless of the result I wouldn't touch one.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    After all the poisonous comments - how about making this response public maybe on FB pages and social media. I’ve always had good experiences with Breitling and BUK. Maybe change the title of your post? It’s a shame that Breitling didn’t state this at the beginning.

glad it worked out in the end.

m
    When you say "poisonous", do you intend to imply the comments were unwarranted?

Just because a company backs down after being called out for trying to rip someone off, doesn't make them angels. It's like a thief offering to pay for an item after they've been caught red handed on the way out the door...!

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    It clearly was fit for purpose when supplied but my query was asking you for a link to support your comment that 6 years had been unofficially agreed as reasonable for a quality item (if unofficially agreed that won't be in the legislation).
    Dave, it’s in statutory rights. It’s a carry over from the Sale of Goods act. I’ve been selling cars for 16 years and sold furniture for 5 years before than to my experience is anecdotal as well as learned info but heres’s the info that you seem to be unable to find

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Dave, it’s in statutory rights. It’s a carry over from the Sale of Goods act.
    Thanks for that and appreciate your comments.

Great result for the OP too so well done Breitling, in the end at least, sometimes the customer just needs to persist in a reasonable way until the problem escalates to someone with sufficient authority to do the right thing.

Master
    If there is nothing wrong with the clasp to begin with, what about the idea of sending the watch head without any strap?

Quote Originally Posted by Yunsung View Post
    If there is nothing wrong with the clasp to begin with, what about the idea of sending the watch head without any strap?
    Literally the only thing wrong with the watch was the clasp mate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Literally the only thing wrong with the watch was the clasp mate.
    Thanks, obviously I should have read the first post!

Considering what it cost you, you should treat the old girl John..
    Don't send it to Breitling, though, or it'll come back looking like a Aerospace!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Doh!!

John

Of course if you wanted to get rid of it/trade it John, let me know.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Of course if you wanted to get rid of it/trade it John, let me know.
    I'm afraid my lad is waiting for it Neil!

I'll have to get it serviced as Jase said, It only stands me to around £40 so it's time I suppose!, May as well get it done and guive it to him rather than when I croak!!

John

Craftsman
    Glad it worked out for you in the end. Thanks for the update, good to know.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Glad it worked out.
    For what it’s worth, I’ve avoided all Breitling watches that don’t have ETA inside and my Emergency is looked after by Mike Wood. ( Who changes the battery at a very reasonable cost ).

I’m afraid anything that requires Breitling parts can only be done by them now, and they ain’t cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More grist for the mill, some months ago I asked for advice about a recently purchased B1 from a Chrino24 seller which had a regular issue of digi display losing sync with the analogue. I eventually sent it back to Poland for the seller to check it out and sure enough after 5 weeks in their possession it repeated the problem and their reaction was “no problem it just needs a new module”..hmm thought I, lets see and today they contacted me to offer a refund in full because Breitling wants £1k to fit the new quartz module. I paid £1500 for the watch which was in lovely condition so sadly it will end up as my last foray with the B1, out of three, two have had major issues and the other one had a replacement movement at some point too, shame really.
    Keith

I'm afraid my lad is waiting for it Neil!

I'll have to get it serviced as Jase said, It only stands me to around £40 so it's time I suppose!, May as well get it done and guive it to him rather than when I croak!!

John
    Nice one John.

Good to hear you son is interested in vintage watches.

It's certainly a lovely gift.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by Shubs View Post
    From what I've seen of the main brand servicing/spares costs in the motherland (Switzerland), Breitling's charges seem quite high when compared to competing brands. That was the case even before CVC partners arrived on the scene.

I agree with those who have suggested getting the watch back and trying another route. If you prefer to carry on dealing with Breitling UK, I'd certainly challenge it hard and argue the clasp was not of merchantable quality (although it's hard to prove you've barely worn it). Another option could be to contact Breitling in Switzerland and highlight the lunacy of the Breitling UK quote.
    Better than VW...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    More grist for the mill, some months ago I asked for advice about a recently purchased B1 from a Chrino24 seller which had a regular issue of digi display losing sync with the analogue. I eventually sent it back to Poland for the seller to check it out and sure enough after 5 weeks in their possession it repeated the problem and their reaction was “no problem it just needs a new module”..hmm thought I, lets see and today they contacted me to offer a refund in full because Breitling wants £1k to fit the new quartz module. I paid £1500 for the watch which was in lovely condition so sadly it will end up as my last foray with the B1, out of three, two have had major issues and the other one had a replacement movement at some point too, shame really.
    Keith
    I really struggle to understand how Breitling seem unable to make a reliable ana digi movement when Casio seem to have no problem in watches costing just a couple of hundred pounds. Maybe you just don’t hear about the Casio’s that malfunction as they just get binned and replaced, but I’ve got a couple I’ve had for 15 years and I wouldn’t be surprised if they last another 15. I bet if one of their sophisticated solar/atomic/Bluetooth modules failed they’d not cost a fraction of what Breitling charges. I think the clue is that most of the modern Casio ana digi watches all contain Japanese made movements even if they are cased in Thailand. Their QC seems very good imho

Master
    ^ I suspect there’s a large difference between what Breitling anadigi modules cost (£) and what they charge (£££££££) to maintain the whole luxury ethos.

As for reliability; I must confess I’ve heard so many stories of Breitling modules failing that it is a concern. Maybe we hear more of it because of the brands positioning & cost, as you say?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    ^ I suspect there’s a large difference between what Breitling anadigi modules cost (£) and what they charge (£££££££) to maintain the whole luxury ethos.
    I think that's exactly it. The service pricing is determined by the desire to sustain a certain perception rather than cost. Along with the insistence that an Aerospace which simply needs a new battery must have a full service because they haven't seen it for a few years, it'll cost them long term.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post

As for reliability; I must confess I’ve heard so many stories of Breitling modules failing that it is a concern. Maybe we hear more of it because of the brands positioning & cost, as you say?
    I would expect the same could be said for any premium watch brand part, the cost price is going to be peanuts for anything. The sales price is what gives it its premium status.
    Cheers..
    Jase