closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice - any glazing, structural eng, builders able to help

Hybrid View

Advice - any glazing, structural eng, builders able to help

Morning, just looking for some help or advice for anyone her who is involved with or has experience of steel work/building and installing glazing.

I’m having a single storey extension built that has a feature of two sets of sliding doors meeting at an external corner, providing the ability to have them both open. It’s not a cantilevered fully open corner, the plan is to have a fairly slight steel corner post.

The builders arrived and looked more closely at the structural layout and calcs, and saw the steels and the steel corner post are on the internal block work. They mentioned it wasn’t normally like this. I have no experience of this so hadn’t even considered such a thing.

A bit of googling later and most sliding doors I see to seem to be fitted to the outside brickwork. Now I guess I could still fit the windows to the outside brickwork but I don’t see how I’d be able to work the door handles because they’d essentially be hidden behind the vertical steel post that’s on the inside blockwork in that corner.

If the windows are fitted beneath the steels on the inner course, the blockwork cavity would be outside so would somehow have to be sealed up without causing thermal bridging and damp issues. So I don’t see how that would work.

Is there anyone that has experience or is in the trade and could share some wisdom here before the builders arrive on Monday?

Thanks

In my experience, I’d put significantly more weight on the views of a solid, experienced builder if they diverged from that of the engineering firm - at the very least relay the concerns to the engineers and ask for fresh eyes to double check the layout and calcs.

I would of expected the steels above the doors to be wider than the post ,maybe there’s a plate welded to the under side to make them nearly 300mm wide .
    The post would probably have a plate maybe 300mmsq top and bottom.
    The post would be on the inside of the building and the doors would be on the outside course,then on the external corner your door company would supply there own post to fit between the 2 doors.
    Hope that makes sense .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The simplest thing to do would be to have the "builders" and the guy who designed the extension, your draughtsman/architect get it together over a brew. He can then explain in black and white what he's proposing and they can then get a handle on it.
    As has been stated by mk1974, there will be a need to likely weld a continuous plate along the RSJ base to form a "booted or garage" lintel to allow the external skin to sit on and the door framing to sit below this. He also stated that the corner joining position of what I assume to be aluminium frames, will need a corner post also to close to.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    He also stated that the corner joining position of what I assume to be aluminium frames, will need a corner post also to close to.
    As the doors are perpendicular to each other, they can close to each other without an additional post.

A thinner, more decorative post in the corner can support the end of both beams and the relatively light weight roof. As has been mentioned though, thought has to go into supporting the outer beam.

I’m sure the architect/designer has considered all these factors and it is just a matter of conveying it to the builder in a way he understands.

I’m sure, as mentioned above, that a site visit and a brew will have everyone on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    As the doors are perpendicular to each other, they can close to each other without an additional post.
    Perhaps so but one of the frames will need a receiving profile whether that's attached to a vertical steel or to the other door set (which may not be the best aesthetically)

Thanks for the comments so far. I should have explained they are floor to ceiling windows at 2.7m so no blockwork or masonary above them if that changes anything.

Also, no architect involved I’m afraid. It’s permitted development so just outline drawings that the structural engineer built his designs/layouts from.

I have a few things I’m working on that show what I think the issue or my options to be. I’ll drop these images in this afternoon when completed.

Thanks

I the post is to be on the external course ,the door company can just fix to that and clad it in the same materials has the doors,it’s probably been done this way to reduce the thickness of the corner to give the impression of a full glass corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    and saw the steels and the steel corner post are on the internal block work.
    Surely the steels need to be the width of both the internal and external wall to support the overhead bricks.

The vertical post can be on the inner wall only aslong as it supports the steels adequately.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk