closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Van Buying advice Please

Van Buying advice Please

Hi,

Are there any tradesmen on here that could help me out with some van buying advice.

I was made redundant from my job (of 13yrs) and have been unable to find anything back in the field that I was in (wholsale clothing & footwear). So, I have been doing some
    work with a builder mate of mine, who has started to put me out on jobs on my own. I have been working on my own house for the last 8 years and have gained lots of experience through that too. I have ahad some cards printed, made a FB page and from those things, jobs are starting to come my way, all 'handyman' type of stuff.

Anyway, I did manage to but my old company car when I was made redundant, but this is going to get trashed very quickly, if I keep humping around tools in it and also, it's not big enough to get
    any materials in. I have been doing a number of fencing jobs, so I might need to collect those kind of materials.

I was thinking of getting a Ford Transit, just something straight forward to get me going

Can anyone here offer any advice on perhaps what make/model of van I should look at, where to buy from and any things to avoid??

I would really appreciate any help you can offer

Thanks
    John

Craftsman

Van Buying advice Please

I’d definitely be looking at an MX5

What’s your budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots to consider...

New or used?
    Purchase or lease?
    Payload required?
    Are you VAT registered?
    FWD or RWD - any preference?
    How many seats needed?

There are a multitude of choices but also easy to make a bad choice, so do lots of research before committing. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for 🙂.

Get on AutoTrader and search vans for ‘under 100 miles’ to find thousands of pre-reg delivery miles at big discount, one I keep seeing for under £10k is the medium-sized Vauxhall Combo which is a rebadged Peugeot/Citroen (a lot seem to be doing this).

VW Transporter and Ford Transit as stated are the go-to full-size but will start around £18k.

Might be a bit left field but Renault are promoting the electric Berlingo .
    3 year deal with 10, 000 miles for just over £200 inc VAT .
    Edit .
    I’ve had nothing but Vauxhall Vivaro in the last 7 years . No issues and lovely to drive at a much cheaper cost than a similar Transit .
    Last edited by thegoat; 21st November 2020 at 22:29.

I would say whatever van you buy set aside some money for proper deadlocks on all doors.
    My company van (Vivaro) had the side door broken into this week and it’s unbelievably easy to do. The rear doors were attacked last year.
    Make sure you get a decent steering lock as well, I use a Stop Lock Pro and for good measure a huge lock and chain.

Vivaro ,by far the best value for money

Craftsman

Van Buying advice Please

Quote Originally Posted by ELD1970 View Post
    I would say whatever van you buy set aside some money for proper deadlocks on all doors.
    My company van (Vivaro) had the side door broken into this week and it’s unbelievably easy to do. The rear doors were attacked last year.
    Make sure you get a decent steering lock as well, I use a Stop Lock Pro and for good measure a huge lock and chain.

This, we’’’ve had all the vans in the company upgraded to dead locks. One of the Ford customs has about £750 worth of dead locks and slam locks. Touch wood no break ins yet... also might be worth getting some second hand British Gas racking off eBay, can’t stress how useful it is, mines got a full bott system which is a god send for keeping things tidy.

Be sure to register yourself self employed so you can offset vehicle costs etc and as mentioned, decent racking and deadlocks.

Ford Transit everytime.

Pm me if you want a chat about vans. I’ve had 5 or 6 over the last 20 years.
    I remember my 1st. This old boy used to travel around Cov and surrounding areas selling books. He had a cream coloured Mitsubishi l300 with the stick shift in the dash. I had it off him. Great little van. The. I had 4 Vw transporters.

Where you is?

I am about to sell my Peugeot Partner as I reside in Manchester and in about two years I will be charged £10 per day for the privilege of driving a van.
    So I am intending to swap it out for an estate car version of the same model, which will not attract the LEZ charge.
    I have had vans fro nearly 40 years of self employment. Having disposed of my business I can make do without one now.

Perhaps consider a pickup, can be used as a family car when not working and will carry literally anything if you have some ratchet straps.

It all depends on the work you're doing. If you're looking at a transit style van then I'd go for a transit.
    I'd say 80% of the contractors we do work for own a transit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk