closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Gandhi's broken pocket watch sells for £12k at auction

Gandhi's broken pocket watch sells for £12k at auction

Surprised that it didn't go for more, especially as his glasses recently sold for £260,000.

Feels wrong that, given its provenance and association, it's worth no more than a modern mass-produced Rolex.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-55012694

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I suppose the glasses went for a higher price as he owned and wore them his entire life. They were intrinsically linked to him. The watch,though,was just something he had and gave away.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I suppose the glasses went for a higher price as he owned and wore them his entire life. They were intrinsically linked to him. The watch,though,was just something he had and gave away.
    The glasses also appear to have been given away, in the 1920's. Word of mouth provenance. I guess they are iconic though.

https://edition.cnn.com/style/articl...ntl/index.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-53861303
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Surprised it fetched as much as it did. I don't think this was ever Gandhi's watch based on the article. It seems it was solely purchased as a gift and it's reasonable to expect he gave many of them out. A tenuous connection IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I don't think this was ever Gandhi's watch based on the article.
    Did you actually read the article?! In particular, the line which says "To think this was used by Gandhi for many years"

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Did you actually read the article?! In particular, the line which says "To think this was used by Gandhi for many years"
    I missed that very final line of the article to be fair, seems an odd place to put it. However I stand by my description of it as tenuous, it seems a watch was handed over but I see no history of the watch beforehand in the article or elsewhere else (albeit after a cursory look). I see one non-descript "to think" from the man in charge of selling it. I see no photos or talk of evidence.

https://maddy06.blogspot.com/2008/06...oll-watch.html - an interesting read.

Perhaps I'm just overly sceptical.
    Last edited by M1011; 22nd November 2020 at 05:57.

Thanks to everyone for the interesting posts.

This looks a bit like another case of a collision between fact, belief and marketing.

This is a picture of Gandhi wearing his watch. Only it is apparently his trusty Zenith alarm, not an Ingersoll.

https://www.zenith-watches.com/en_us...eritage-gandhi

I think we need M4tt to sort this one out.

Master
    I didn't buy it, none of you lot bought it, so who really cares.

The wife and I visited The National Gandhi Museum in Delhi a couple of years ago and his living quarters were plain bloody frugal. I would guess that 99% of TZ-UK members had more possessions than he did, he lived a truly frugal life, so even him wearing any watch is a bit of a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

The wife and I visited The National Gandhi Museum in Delhi a couple of years ago and his living quarters were plain bloody frugal. I would guess that 99% of TZ-UK members had more possessions than he did, he lived a truly frugal life, so even him wearing any watch is a bit of a surprise.
    We’re not living there so who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”

Craftsman
    Maybe if it had been auctioned in India it would have fetched a lot more. I can’t imagine it got much publicity at East Bristol Auctions.