closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega - changing the bloody strap!

Omega - changing the bloody strap!

I’ve got a PO ceramic with the newish strap as in screws, lost a bit of weight since getting it and want to change the bracelet size, what is the best tool for the job?

None of my usual screwdrivers will do it (fine for Rolex)?

Dont want to damage and end up in a mess where as I can’t get it out!

Cheers

Grand Master
    Assume the screws have been fitted with loctite, apply a little heat from a flame or soldering iron to soften it before unscrewing.

Master
    From memory it’s a 1.8mm screwdriver, always worked on my PO bracelet. I think the newer models have adjustment in the clasp like the new Seamaster.

Journeyman
    Remove bracelet and either hold under steam from kettle or immerse in boiling water....softens the glue.

Master
    I've got a Wiha 1.8mm screwdriver which is the perfect size for Omega bracelet screws. Never had an issue with slippage or damaged screw heads. You still need to be careful of course.

Craftsman
    Don’t want to sound like a wimp but with ceramic, I would take to an AD or boutique to change the strap.

A mistake with a metal case will just lead to a scratch whilst one with ceramic may lead to a crack in the lugs.......

BW,
    Chi Kai

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to adjust the original braclet on my Mark II, an 1162.

After decades of wear and polish, it was a bit cruddy. I used GT85 to soak it and a fair bit of manipulation with a good precision screwdriver and it worked.

Be very careful using heat with stainless on such a small application. Nothing more than a hair drier. Also, a small twist to tighten can often break any lingering tension to allow you to undo it.

Delicacy is the key!

Quote Originally Posted by midgetda View Post
    I've got a Wiha 1.8mm screwdriver which is the perfect size for Omega bracelet screws. Never had an issue with slippage or damaged screw heads. You still need to be careful of course.
    Thanks, is it this one -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wiha-Pico-F...66&sr=8-2&th=1

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    Yep that's the one.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascalon View Post

Be very careful using heat with stainless on such a small application. Nothing more than a hair drier. Also, a small twist to tighten can often break any lingering tension to allow you to undo it.

Delicacy is the key!
    Disagree. Trying to tighten to untighten is bad advice, the threads are very coarse and the metal is relatively brittle, its all too easy to break the head off a screw and that'll really spoil your day.

Heat from a naked flame for a couple of seconds will do absolutely no harm, if the metal gets too hot it can discolour but that won’t happen if you're careful. Trying to undo small stainless steel screws that have been loctite treated is fraught with danger and in my opinion its essential to soften it using heat, I do it as a matter of routine. Removing stems from crowns requires the same technique, if a crown is a tight fitits lijely to gave been secured with loctite and attempting to remove without heat will probably snap the stem and render the crown scrap.

Using heat is more important than finding a screwdriver that’s a perfect fit.....trust me I don’t make this up!

Craftsman
    Guys, why does no one else think taking it to the AD is the best route? I know it is lock down and you will have to watch a couple of weeks. But clearly there is some difficulty doing it at home and there is a risk of damage to watch and most ADs or boutiques are more than happy to change straps.

BW,
    Chi Kai

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctam View Post
    Guys, why does no one else think taking it to the AD is the best route? I know it is lock down and you will have to watch a couple of weeks. But clearly there is some difficulty doing it at home and there is a risk of damage to watch and most ADs or boutiques are more than happy to change straps.
    Personally, because I just don't trust them to look after my watch as well as I would. I know some would; maybe most would; but plenty certainly wouldn't. At home one can put masking tape on lugs etc and take extra care. It's not a difficult skill to acquire. And if the process was to generate a scratch I'd rather I inflicted it than someone else, which would bug me more. That's just my take.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Personally, because I just don't trust them to look after my watch as well as I would. I know some would; maybe most would; but plenty certainly wouldn't. At home one can put masking tape on lugs etc and take extra care. It's not a difficult skill to acquire. And if the process was to generate a scratch I'd rather I inflicted it than someone else, which would bug me more. That's just my take.
    I agree with this. I guess it completely depends on the AD and who would actually be removing the links but I would far rather do it myself. It’s actually quite straightforward if you have the correct tools, which for my purposes don’t need to be expensive ones.

However if you really don’t fancy resizing yourself or are unsure then I guess the AD route makes sense.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    This. I had an AD size my new 116610, not only could she not undo the screws, she scratched the polished side of the link (not that she mentioned the scratch). It was clear that she had received no training in removing screw links and obviously didn't use any heat as suggested by Paul. I had a Google and bought a Bergeon screwdriver and now use a craft heat gun to loosen the threadlock after taping up, easy.
    After a lot of correspondence, the AD did supply a new link, albeit the first one was for a different watch!