closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Cycling Etiquette

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    i know the area better as I live in the development right at the end of the road where it bends left parallel to the Thames. If the car gets went you've gone too far basically.

You cannot overtake unless you wish to drive into oncoming traffic. Moreover it can be a busy area as it has all the traffic going into Sainsburys,t he 6 Kings Car Park or the Hilton.

You follow me around on many posts I make, you trivialised my son's disability with the choice of car I drive, you have a dig on the sales threads I post. I get it, you don't like me. Just know you are an a**hole though. A really unpleasant bitter little worm.

Enjoy the weekend sweetie x

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    You don't overtake then.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    You don't overtake then.
    Ah fair enough. So let's just let some guy on a bike block everyone by cycling in the middle of the road instead of cycling close to the pavement where we could overtake him safely. Being selfish is ok if you are a cyclist because 'cyclists first' right? In fact he could have used the cycle pathway which is not 20 metres from where I took that pic.

End of the day, one day that guy is going to be killed cycling like that (particularly sans helmet). Someone far less placid than my wife will take umbrage.

When I drive I bear in mind that people's time is precious. They may be in a hurry to get somewhere. I have no right to impose upon them my behaviours that cost them time. That would be selfish hence I drive in such a way as ri be considerate to other users and ensure I don't hold them up as far as is possible. I think if everyone had the same in mind when they used the roads then the roads would be a much livelier place to be.

Last edited by ryanb741; 11th December 2020 at 19:47.

Apprentice

When I drive I bear in mind that people's time is precious. They may be in a hurry to get somewhere. I have no right to impose upon them my behaviours that cost them time. That would be selfish hence I drive in such a way as ri be considerate to other users and ensure I don't hold them up as far as is possible. I think if everyone had the same in mind when they used the roads then the roads would be a much livelier place to be.

Makes my blood boil when selfish people delay me getting on with my journey.

The other day I got stuck behind this guy in a massive Range Rover blocking a narrow road with his ostentatious gas guzzling carbuncle. Looked like he was over compensating for something.

If only he had been on a bicycle then I could have easily passed him.

Quote Originally Posted by 1680 View Post
    Makes my blood boil when selfish people delay me getting on with my journey.

The other day I got stuck behind this guy in a massive Range Rover blocking a narrow road with his ostentatious gas guzzling carbuncle. Looked like he was over compensating for something.

If only he had been on a bicycle then I could have easily passed him.
    Cool story bro.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ah fair enough. So let's just let some guy on a bike block everyone by cycling in the middle of the road instead of cycling close to the pavement where we could overtake him safely. Being selfish is ok if you are a cyclist because 'cyclists first' right? In fact he could have used the cycle pathway which is not 20 metres from where I took that pic.

End of the day, one day that guy is going to be killed cycling like that (particularly sans helmet). Someone far less placid than my wife will take umbrage.

In that case they could be prosecuted to the full extent of the law & receive some points on their license & a piffling fine. If they're unlucky.

Master
    i know the area better as I live in the development right at the end of the road where it bends left parallel to the Thames. If the car gets went you've gone too far basically.

You cannot overtake unless you wish to drive into oncoming traffic. Moreover it can be a busy area as it has all the traffic going into Sainsburys,t he 6 Kings Car Park or the Hilton.

You follow me around on many posts I make, you trivialised my son's disability with the choice of car I drive, you have a dig on the sales threads I post. I get it, you don't like me. Just know you are an a**hole though. A really unpleasant bitter little worm.

Enjoy the weekend sweetie x

Honestly Ryan, I could't really give a toss about you, however when you post attention seeking nonsense like this it need to be called out, you're a drama queen and love the attention it gives you, and I guess I'm giving it to you!

My comment about your car was earlier in this very thread when you said you needed a RR because your son had autism, I didn't bring your son, his autism or brand of car you drive into the conversation you did, so am I not allowed to reply?

I'm sure you're a good guy IRL, but you share too much! x

Just be patient, leave early, whatever. We’re sharing the road, let’s respect each other. It’s not that hard really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries

Yes cyclists rights first absolutely. Because whoever is in the wrong it's the cyclist who dies if there's a collision. You, on the other hand, might get a bit of a dent in your car. Cycle paths have their own dangers. I avoid them wherever possible because I had my hip broken when another cyclist collided with me on the Bristol-Bath cycle path. And the roads are lively enough if you're a cyclist without wishing them to be more so.

Craftsman
    I must agree with ryan on his first post
    The cyclist is just wrong
    I cycle but i would never do that in an urban or rural area
    Its more like an antagonistic cyclist
    Free the roads from cars brigade

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Cool story bro.

Not really.

Point is for any car journey in a city you have to contend with traffic. When I drive I often get delayed ... 99% of the delays I suffer are the result of other people in cars.

Sometimes I may get delayed by cyclists but that is a minority issue ... it’s cars that are the problem.

If more people cycled, used ebikes, scooters etc there would be far less congestion.

More people doing this would ease everyone’s journeys so your “issues” with cyclists are actually working against your own impatience.

Your opening post and contributions to this thread just make you look like an anti cyclist bigot ... which isn’t doing you any favours as otherwise you seem to come across as a decent sensible bloke.

What has made you so anti cyclist?

Not really.

Point is for any car journey in a city you have to contend with traffic. When I drive I often get delayed ... 99% of the delays I suffer are the result of other people in cars.

Sometimes I may get delayed by cyclists but that is a minority issue ... it’s cars that are the problem.

If more people cycled, used ebikes, scooters etc there would be far less congestion.

More people doing this would ease everyone’s journeys so your “issues” with cyclists are actually working against your own impatience.

Your opening post and contributions to this thread just make you look like an anti cyclist bigot ... which isn’t doing you any favours as otherwise you seem to come across as a decent sensible bloke.

I'm not anti cyclists. As someone who lives in London I'd say by far the biggest annoyance is pedestrians believing themselves to be immortal, alongside motorists parking incredibly selfishly. Cyclists I raise the point as I find it particularly important in London to be uber vigilant so as to avoid hitting them. The problem is much more acute here than when I drive in Bournemouth or when I've driven in other cities alike Birmingham, Manchester, Edinburgh etc. Hence I wanted to understand some of the points around cycling etiquette.

Being honest I do wish there were more designated cycle lanes and that cyclists were mandated to use them. I feel that would be safer that way and probably quicker for cyclists too (I'm talking an Amsterdam style approach). Isnt going to happen for a long time though sadly.

Apprentice
    I find it particularly important in London to be uber vigilant so as to avoid hitting them.
    Good man, when driving it is a good idea to watch what you are doing so you don’t run into other road users.

I'm not anti cyclists.
    That is not how you are coming across, you are looking like a rabid cyclist hater. Just saying ...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I also respect Ryan, especially for his generous acts enabling members to buy expensive watches at a discount, & I find myself largely in agreement with him over in the covid 19 thread. I’m too scared to raise my head above the parapet there though. However cycle lanes shouldn’t be mandatory. At least not unless motorways are made mandatory for motorised vehicles! Cycle lanes & cycle paths are dangerous places. They are badly designed, full of glass & debris. Too many people doing different things in a confined space. They are certainly not suitable for my kind of cycling because I ride too fast for them. If I’m on the road it’s motor vehicles that hold me up rather than the other way around. It’s irritating when cars desperately try & get past me on the approach to a roundabout for example, & then as soon as they get past me they slam the anchors on. If I ride in to work I’ll often pass 300+ cars. I’ve counted them! A lot of those drivers are busy looking at their mobile phones btw. I do wonder whether the stress & tension associated with everyday life is a factor causing drivers to be impatient & take out their frustrations on cyclists. I mean, come on, how many seconds are you going to have added to your journey time by not squeezing past that cyclist. They’ll probably come past you at the next set of traffic lights in any case.
    Last edited by trident-7; 11th December 2020 at 21:33.

They may be in a hurry to get somewhere.
    Leave earlier then, would solve a lot problems, no speeding and less car crashes.

Master
    Surely the point is the cyclist is intentionally holding up the car, it would safer for him and all others to pull over when safe. If a car was intentionally blocking a cyclist because they could it would just as bad. Ultimately some bike riders are pri*** and some car drivers are pri***.

Master
    Not really.

I agree with all the above - bar the last two points.. There are some anti cycling bigots on here (some even ride m/cycles which I find strange), but I don't believe Ryan is one of them, despite how some of his posts or choice of topic might sound..

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    I agree with all the above - bar the last two points.. There are some anti cycling bigots on here (some even ride m/cycles which I find strange), but I don't believe Ryan is one of them, despite how some of his posts or choice of topic might sound..
    Really ... look how he's making trident-7 feel and he's clearly a keen cyclist ...

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I also respect Ryan ... I’m too scared to raise my head above the parapet there though.

This whole tread was a cycling bashing anti platform for him to express his personal views against cyclists ...

Master
    Encountered this chap for a good mile today. No helmet either. Death wish

Finally we agree, no socks, he’ll catch his death...

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    Here are a couple of close passes inflicted on me - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kS7vRT71Ik&t=11s

The wide angle video always make them look a bit further away - but trust me these were terrible.
    Well....if you will ride on the racing line....??