closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycling Etiquette

You have a Range Rover - Isn't the simplest answer to drive over the top of them?
    "A man of little significance"

Look, let's cut this short: cyclists are peasants and should be flayed in the market square.

Anyone on a BMX is excepted, naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Of course. It won't always pose a danger or inconvenience to yourself or other road users, or pedestrians, or anyone else.
    Car drivers could claim the same.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    In the still for the vimeo video it would not be safe to do as you suggest. The road has a double white line prohibiting the vehicle to cross to the other side of the road and there is insufficient room to allow in-lane passing whilst giving the required safe distance.
    "You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph or less." ... Under any other circumstances, road users aren't permitted to cross double white lines.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Of course. It won't always pose a danger or inconvenience to yourself or other road users, or pedestrians, or anyone else.
    I fear you are deliberately ignoring the point to justify your own selfish choices. Well done carry on giving cyclists a bad name.

Master
    We can carry on this they are / they are not argument ad nauseam.

It will not change the should and must statements in the highway code, traffic law in the UK or the advice and guidance given out by British Cycling and Cycling UK.

Cyclists riding in a protective manner is simply that and nothing more.
    Agree. This is an emotive subject that tends to polarise. I disagree with the advice given by the two societies and the behaviour I see in this respect on the road. I'm also a cyclist and understand the frustration at car drivers. Car driving tends to be so poor by a cross section of society, that it has almost become normalised / accepted. Irrespective of my views, and the behaviour of other road users, I will continue to drive and cycle safely.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Look, let's cut this short: cyclists are peasants and should be flayed in the market square.

Anyone on a BMX is excepted, naturally.
    and : Death by Bum Bum :)

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    "You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph or less." ... Under any other circumstances, road users aren't permitted to cross double white lines.
    The vast majority of cyclists will exceed 10 mph in all but steep inclines. Even ebikes have assist up to 15.5 mph

I see no need for the tone of your response.
    Touche

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    Agree. This is an emotive subject that tends to polarise. I disagree with the advice given by the two societies and the behaviour I see in this respect on the road. I'm also a cyclist and understand the frustration at car drivers. Car driving tends to be so poor by a cross section of society, that it has almost become normalised / accepted. Irrespective of my views, and the behaviour of other road users, I will continue to drive and cycle safely.
    The advice given by the two societies is fully based on road traffic law and the highway code.

There was a consultation open on revisions to the highway code from 28 July 2020 to 11:59pm on 27 October 2020. I hope you took the opportunity to voice your disagreements during that window as any changes there would result in a change of guidance by the two societies.

As with any road user, or pedestrian, idiots are idiots.
    Fixed that for you...

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by deanlad View Post
    Fixed that for you...
    No need to fix it. A pedestrian becomes a road user the moment they step off the pavement.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I fear you are deliberately ignoring the point to justify your own selfish choices. Well done carry on giving cyclists a bad name.
    No. You edited what I originally typed in order to remove the context, before you responded. I restored it, specifically to address the actual point.

I think we know that you won't be able to explain what's "selfish" about an act that inconveniences no-one, so don't bother trying.

With respect to the legality, rather than the practicality of disregarding red lights as a cyclist - I'll happily take advice from any driver who's never done more than 70mph on a motorway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Car drivers could claim the same.
    Yes indeed, and they're most welcome to do so as far as I'm concerned. I personally have no issue whatever with car drivers ignoring red lights if it's genuinely safe and not inconsiderate. It might be unwise given the possibility of their registration being recorded by a revenue camera, but that's their own choice.

Yes indeed, and they're most welcome to do so as far as I'm concerned. I personally have no issue whatever with car drivers ignoring red lights if it's genuinely safe and not inconsiderate. It might be unwise given the possibility of their registration being recorded by a revenue camera, but that's their own choice.
    Red lights are red for a reason and whether it’s safe to proceed shouldn’t be down to a motorists judgement call.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No. You edited what I originally typed in order to remove the context, before you responded. I restored it, specifically to address the actual point.

I think we know that you won't be able to explain what's "selfish" about an act that inconveniences no-one, so don't bother trying.

With respect to the legality, rather than the practicality of disregarding red lights as a cyclist - I'll happily take advice from any driver who's never done more than 70mph on a motorway.
    The reason jumping red lights is selfish is because those who observe the act may become (more) anti cyclist and then take their angst out on another cyclist ... so someone else is suffering as a result of your actions. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    This is how I broke my hip.

I was in a cycle lane, pedestrian walked from behind a tree so I had no chance.
    Sorry that happened to you. Sometimes there's no avoiding a collision. I hope you sued.

Well, that escalated quickly and as I imagine most of the above is a lot of cobblers, and I am watching the Cannonball Run and it’s the big fight scene at the end, I’ve not read most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Yeh but what about helmets and insurance
    I’ve got both, cheers.
    The consequences of driving a motor vehicle without insurance are far greater, yet this seems to be something that a lot of people think is alright. Can’t help thinking that cyclists out to have at least some sort of third party cover.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    I live in a village in the Peak District and we have the Mrs Joneses who cycle to the local WI meetings, plus the Lycra peloton brigade you refer to.

Without doubt the idiots belong to the latter.

A bit like with motorcyclists (of which I am one), the larger the group, the more boorish the behaviour.

You rarely get this unique group mentality with drivers, although that doesn’t mean they are blameless.
    What a lot of toss.
    I ride with a group, regularly (apart from in this current situation) and have never witnessed to any boorish behaviour from my group on any of the rides I’ve been on. The attitude towards motorists who are so impatient that they can’t sit and wait for a safe opportunity to pass on a country lane, on a Sunday morning, however are the ones who put both cyclists and other road users at risk.
    If you’re not sure if you’ve got room to go past a bike, 2 bikes, 10 bikes or 5x2 bikes, then you probably haven’t. If you don’t think you’ve got enough space to pass a car, then you probably haven’t got enough space to safely pass a bike. You can see why some cyclists become militant, because I feel like I’m going to drag the next person who gives me a punishment pass out of their window by the collar(and that does not reflect my usual personality standard).

And I do generally stick to the rules. I passed queued traffic where I can be seen and I stop at 98% of red traffic lights. Sometimes - and this is REALLY naughty - at 8 am on a Sunday, if I get to a light controlled roundabout and I can see in all directions that it’s safe to me to go, then I’ll go irrespective of the colour of the light. I know, right....?

Craftsman
    I use a route regularly where I approach a main road at a T junction. The traffic lights are automatically controlled so that the main road traffic flows until the system senses a vehicle waiting at the lights of the minor road. My bike and I don’t trigger the sensor so I have option of sitting on a red light forever or passing the red light with caution.

I’ve done a lot of urban cycling this year and only been cut up once by a motorist . Ironically he had a bike carrier on his car....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    Sorry that happened to you. Sometimes there's no avoiding a collision. I hope you sued.
    I don't think he could - as the culprit just walked away as Guinea was presumably lying in the road waiting for someone to call an ambulance..

I suffered a broken hip (acetabulum), as a result of an RTC with a Transit. The driver did stop and I was able to get details and sue . There was no way you can get up and even walk after that..
    Sounds awful for Guinea I agree..

I don’t really care if cyclists go through red lights, it gets them out of my way (for a while maybe) and it’s their lookout regarding safety. The ones that filter are more annoying because I’ve probably overtaken them once already and now I have to do it again. I’m sorry but cyclists are an obstruction. They just are. You can say they have every right to be there, which they do, and you just have to take the time to overtake when it safe, which you do, but cyclists are still an obstruction. The worst ones are those that think they are being safer by occupying their space as much as they possibly can specifically to be an obstruction, the ones who insist on riding side by side because they can causing an obstruction and the groups of Lycra clad fun riders clogging up the roads and causing an obstruction. I won’t ride a push bike on the roads because I will not defer the entirety of my safety into the hands of complete strangers who never asked for that responsibility and are going to be mightily pissed off about the repetitive embuggerance it causes.

Sat in my car yesterday, having a bit of lunch. Cyclist rides the wrong way down a 1 way street, inevitably gets squeezed as a car comes up the correct way.

He ends up inches from me, then decides he wants a coffee. As he's getting off his bike, kicks my door hard enough to chip the paint. Walks off like nothings happened.

Not sure he expected someone to be in the car, or to explode quite so angrily.

Craftsman
    About this time last year I was sat in My car at a small roundabout with one car in front of Me and a fair few cars behind Me.A cyclist filtered up next to the car in front stopped and couldn’t get His feet on the ground. He had the shoes that sort of lock onto the pedals.
    He fell on His bike and slid down the side of the brand new Audi like Wily Cyote when He hits a wall.The car owner was a better man than Me.His first words were “Are You OK?”.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I don’t really care if cyclists go through red lights, it gets them out of my way (for a while maybe) and it’s their lookout regarding safety. The ones that filter are more annoying because I’ve probably overtaken them once already and now I have to do it again. I’m sorry but cyclists are an obstruction. They just are. You can say they have every right to be there, which they do, and you just have to take the time to overtake when it safe, which you do, but cyclists are still an obstruction. The worst ones are those that think they are being safer by occupying their space as much as they possibly can specifically to be an obstruction, the ones who insist on riding side by side because they can causing an obstruction and the groups of Lycra clad fun riders clogging up the roads and causing an obstruction. I won’t ride a push bike on the roads because I will not defer the entirety of my safety into the hands of complete strangers who never asked for that responsibility and are going to be mightily pissed off about the repetitive embuggerance it causes.
    That must be awful for you. When I drive my car or van if find loads of obstructions. ... they are really annoying... cars everywhere getting in my way slowing my progress, plus buses - they really pull my chain, keep stopping letting people on and off... what’s that all about, can’t those people drive!! Then there is lorries taking up huge amounts of space getting in my way ...grrrr why don’t they realise they are obstructing my progress.

Oh ... forgot to mention, also horses and tractors.

Case in point. LOOK AT THIS! Just now on the school run, very busy West London roads. 'That's ok love you just block everyone off, not selfish at all'.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Case in point. LOOK AT THIS! Just now on the school run, very busy West London roads. 'That's ok love you just block everyone off, not selfish at all'.
    Ironically if you passed him by as you would a car, with all 4 wheels in the other lane, you would still not be at 1.5m from him, which is my point about riding 2 abreast
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Ironically if you passed him by as you would a car, with all 4 wheels in the other lane, you would still not be at 1.5m from him, which is my point about riding 2 abreast
    Yes but a car wouldn't be going 10 mph

Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    About this time last year I was sat in My car at a small roundabout with one car in front of Me and a fair few cars behind Me.A cyclist filtered up next to the car in front stopped and couldn’t get His feet on the ground. He had the shoes that sort of lock onto the pedals.
    He fell on His bike and slid down the side of the brand new Audi like Wily Cyote when He hits a wall.The car owner was a better man than Me.His first words were “Are You OK?”.
    chuckle, bet he felt a proper cyclist.

Of course not. But the point remains that by riding where he is, regardless of the absence of any incoming traffic, in theory you would not be able to pass him legally.

That must be awful for you. When I drive my car or van if find loads of obstructions. ... they are really annoying... cars everywhere getting in my way slowing my progress, plus buses - they really pull my chain, keep stopping letting people on and off... what’s that all about, can’t those people drive!! Then there is lorries taking up huge amounts of space getting in my way ...grrrr why don’t they realise they are obstructing my progress.

Oh ... forgot to mention, also horses and tractors.
    Everyone has to go about their business as best they can. All I’m saying is if you willfully go out of your way to get in other peoples way make sure you have a good reason for doing it and don’t be surprised if they dislike you for it. Remember these are the very people you rely on to keep you safe.

I consider cycling on the roads to be a social equivalent of farting in a lift. It might be legal and people just have to put up with it, but it’s still a crappy thing to do. So I don’t do it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Everyone has to go about their business as best they can. All I’m saying is if you willfully go out of your way to get in other peoples way make sure you have a good reason for doing it and don’t be surprised if they dislike you for it. Remember these are the very people you rely on to keep you safe.

I consider cycling on the roads to be a social equivalent of farting in a lift. It might be legal and people just have to put up with it, but it’s still a crappy thing to do. So I don’t do it.

The vast majority of cyclists do not will fully try and impede your progress just as the majority of motorists drive with consideration. Doesn’t mean there are not exceptions in both groups.

Cycling can contribute to more liveable cities via less congestion, better air quality, less noise and more space for people, which in turn will create happier citizens and attractive cities with high economic productivity.

If more people cycled there would be less congestion, can you not see that?

In cities the average car journey is 3 miles, if all those people cycled or used an ebike imaging the transformation.

Plus of course the obvious benefits to well being, we have a obesity crisis crippling our NHS right now.

The vast majority of cyclists do not will fully try and impede your progress just as the majority of motorists drive with consideration. Doesn’t mean there are not exceptions in both groups.

Indeed

Cycling can contribute to more liveable cities via less congestion, better air quality, less noise and more space for people, which in turn will create happier citizens and attractive cities with high economic productivity.

Less congestion except for rainy days. Better air quality yes, more space for people in the streets, the rest is not factual (aka bull dung)

If more people cycled there would be less congestion, can you not see that?

Yes, and no. Those who have to travel by car are likely to take more time, paradoxically.

In cities the average car journey is 3 miles, if all those people cycled or used an ebike imaging the transformation.

Apart from the fact that using an e-bike IS cycling, your stats are not accurate for bigger cities where traffic is the busiest. Most people work significantly further away

Plus of course the obvious benefits to well being, we have a obesity crisis crippling our NHS right now.

No contest from me

SydR
    I feel your frustration. Whilst riding down Mount Teide I was obstructed by vehicles who could not carry the same speed round the hairpins.

On the point of responsibility that will be the same drivers who never asked to be responsible for the safety of ALL other road users but are obligated to do so?

SydR

Google ‘cycling’ and ‘primary position’.

Master

It would if it was behind the cyclist!!

Master
    The vast majority of cyclists will exceed 10 mph in all but steep inclines. Even ebikes have assist up to 15.5 mph
    When I pass them they are only doing 10mph!!

A friend of mine with a silver DB7 DB5 (my bad, had a Primary Position brain fart) has a good way of handling mamils.
    Last edited by GraniteQuarry; 23rd November 2020 at 13:15.

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    I don't think he could - as the culprit just walked away as Guinea was presumably lying in the road waiting for someone to call an ambulance..

I suffered a broken hip (acetabulum), as a result of an RTC with a Transit. The driver did stop and I was able to get details and sue . There was no way you can get up and even walk after that..
    Sounds awful for Guinea I agree..
    Without trying to derail thread, the guy hung around for the ambulance and I got his details. However, I didn't try to get compensation. The guy had no insurance and wasn't a homeowner so there was no realistic chance of any recovery. My work were super supportive and let me work from home etc, so I didn't lose anything financially.

As to the injury, it was also an acetabulum crack, combined with neck of femur. Nothing was displaced, so after a few months of rest I was OK. I have been left a bit arthritic, will need a replacement and can definitely tell when the weather changes.

My commute nowadays is 20 miles each way (Epping->Victoria) and this has been transformed over the last few years. The cycle lanes in London make it far safer and faster than ever before. Without pushing, it's a 75 minute on the bike or a 75 minute commute on the tube. I've noticed even more improvements since lockdown, but haven't had the chance to try them. It's worth saying I'm a chubby middle aged bloke who was the worst as anything sporty at school but I managed it a few days a week no problem. We had showers, lockers and a safe place at work for the bike. If you have the same, give it a go.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Have you ever considered that the cyclist might be annoyed that they've already overtaken you once and now they have to do it again?

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    A friend of mine with a silver DB7 has a good way of handling mamils.
    Care to elaborate?

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    When I pass them they are only doing 10mph!!
    Some may very well be and those you can pass, if safe to do so, whilst still complying with the Highway Code.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Have you ever considered that the cyclist might be annoyed that they've already overtaken you once and now they have to do it again?
    They only overtake when one is stationary, as in at a red light that they just cycle through!!

Care to elaborate?
    Oil?

You can't really say busy when you're the only one on it (there might be loads of people behind you). Also they could be turning right into that other road. If they didn't turn right and they were just lounging in the middle of the road for no reason I would have beeped to let them know to gtfo the way.

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Almost as silly as having a big SUV to drive around London

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Some cyclists ride sensibly, some are idiots.

Some drivers drive sensibly, some are idiots.

Where I live, I see a mixture of all four. No side is blameless.

This sums it up for me. The majority are not idiots but there are still lots on both sides.

I also find that most of the idiots congregate in London. I didn't cycle for many years in London as I hear so much about the horror stories from both sides. I also know someone who was crushed by an HGV that veered into a cycle lane. As a road user everyone needs to be responsible and understand the risks. Every time I drive in London I also see a marked difference in how people drive, with a notable deterioration in the East End where I live.

However having cycled here in the last few years, I find that most drivers are fairly aware and polite. I am much more intimidated by other cyclists and pedestrians who are inconsiderate or unaware of the rules. My first time riding into the office, I bumped into a man who was high as a kite and walking down the cycle lane at 7am. I have shouted at pedestrians who don't look before crossing the road. Nevermind a cyclist, what about a quiet hybrid car coming their way?

Any chance people can quote without including the same photo every time?

Care to elaborate?
    See edit.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    You can't really say busy when you're the only one on it (there might be loads of people behind you). Also they could be turning right into that other road. If they didn't turn right and they were just lounging in the middle of the road for no reason I would have beeped to let them know to gtfo the way.
    There were loads behind me and that cyclist was continuing straight on - by this point I'd been behind her 2 minutes and we were running the risk of being late for school drop off which was within a very specific time due to bubbles they have at school.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Almost as silly as having a big SUV to drive around London
    Way sillier. If that bike had hit the SUV the car would have won.