closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PSA Freixenet Prosecco at Sainsbury's

PSA Freixenet Prosecco at Sainsbury's

This Prosecco is decent quality and is usually £12 a bottle. Sainsbury's have it reduced to £9 a bottle and if you buy 6 you get 25% off that making it £6.75 a bottle. You'd be hard pressed to find better prosecco in the UK at under 7 quid a bottle

My wife thanks you

it is exactly the same price at Tesco and has been all week

Bollinger is £26.25 at tesco if you buy five bottles of anything else, the Rose is a better deal at £30
    Last edited by adrianw; 11th December 2020 at 11:21.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    My wife thanks you
    Sorry to burst your bubble(s); it's not available to Scots or Welsh customers at that price:

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/...-prosecco-75cl

'Important information

Alcohol pricing & promotions for customers served from our Scottish and Welsh stores may differ from those shown when browsing our site. Please log in to see the full range of alcohol prices & promotions available to you.'
    ______

​Jim.

I’ve been enjoying the Freixenet chianti recently. Very quaffable.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble(s); it's not available to Scots or Welsh customers at that price:

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/...-prosecco-75cl

'Important information

Alcohol pricing & promotions for customers served from our Scottish and Welsh stores may differ from those shown when browsing our site. Please log in to see the full range of alcohol prices & promotions available to you.'
    Fair enough

Thank you Ryan, SWMBO has been duly informed.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I'm always amused at the way Mrs Gyp's mates drink Prosecco in huge quantities but turn their nose up at Cava.

I really enjoyed a night at our local pub where they had some wine experts in to talk through various wines and I asked them about the Cava that they were serving. They described how, whilst the grapes and region were different, the approach to making Cava was very similar to that of Champagne, with the secondary fermentation happening in the bottle. The bottles resting partly inverted in giant underground caves, and being turned a slight amount each day - typically by hand - so the sediment falls gently into the neck of the bottle so it can be removed.

"And how does that compare with Prosecco?" I asked.

"Oh that's just made on an industrial scale in enormous stainless steel vats before being popped into the bottle and shipped. Much cheaper to make, but has been very well advertised so people think it's the same".

Having visited the Codorníu Winery a few years ago, seeing the traditional methods was beautiful to behold. The only fizz that comes into our house is Champagne or Cava.

I can remember Freixenet being about two quid a bottle in Spain in the mid-eighties.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I'm always amused at the way Mrs Gyp's mates drink Prosecco in huge quantities but turn their nose up at Cava.

I really enjoyed a night at our local pub where they had some wine experts in to talk through various wines and I asked them about the Cava that they were serving. They described how, whilst the grapes and region were different, the approach to making Cava was very similar to that of Champagne, with the secondary fermentation happening in the bottle. The bottles resting partly inverted in giant underground caves, and being turned a slight amount each day - typically by hand - so the sediment falls gently into the neck of the bottle so it can be removed.

"Oh that's just made on an industrial scale in enormous stainless steel vats before being popped into the bottle and shipped. Much cheaper to make, but has been very well advertised so people think it's the same".

Having visited the Codorníu Winery a few years ago, seeing the traditional methods was beautiful to behold. The only fizz that comes into our house is Champagne or Cava.
    Good info that.
    I think a lot of the Frexinet appeal is the pretty bottle.
    I tend to go for the South African Fizz that's made by the same method as Champagne-Method Cap Classique(MCC)
    The Graham Beck when reduced in Waitrose down to about £11-£12 a bottle is a great fizz.

I would rather drink Cava than Prosecco all day long and twice on Sundays.

Master
    Thanks for the tip. Headed down to my local as Mrs G was in the mood for some bubbly. Bought both the Prosecco and the Chianti. Had the first as a preprandial and the second with dinner, both make for good easy drinking. I also picked up a few bottle for Christmas, a Chablis, an Amerone, a Fleurie and a bottle of Tattinger. Thanks Sainsbury's.

On the Cava versus Prosecco thing, I think the latter has better marketing and maybe better consistency. I've had some great Cava, but rarely in the UK. I also agree that SA has some great sparkling.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    On the Cava versus Prosecco thing, I think the latter has better marketing and maybe better consistency.
    Agree with the consistency thing. As long as I dont get a brut, SWMBO will like any Prosecco. Cava for her though is either love it or can't drink it, too much of a gamble.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Agree, too much marketing behind the Prosecco, and I prefer the name also. However lots of good Cava has been consumed, but many less ideal of the other.

Was only ok investigating further did I understand the reality of production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prosecco is the Devil’s piss; hateful stuff.

Instagram in a bottle.

Never mind all that fake shampoo stuff , Laurent Perrier Rose is up for £50 , down to £37.50 in the six bottle deal .
    If you find your local Sainsburys has sold out, tip up at Majestic and they’ll price match.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    A nice bone dry Prosecco can be really pleasant…. Cava can be great too

The best Saumur is better than both of them to my palate

It’s all dependant on personal taste….

I popped to a Sainsbury’s last week. Took 2 bottles of Dom Perignon, and 4 chateau neuf du pape.
    Really good discount with the 25% off....