closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycling Etiquette

Cycling Etiquette

Evening all. Where I live there are loads of recreational cyclists and the area seems to be well known for cycling enthusiasts. I am not knocking cycling as it has health benefits etc. Far from it. That being said I would welcome some thoughts on the following;

1. What is the etiquette for a cyclist when overtaking a car (i.e. in traffic, at lights etc etc). Do they go to the left or the right? I frequently encounter them going left AND right to the extent that it becomes a bit of an obstacle course to avoid hitting them as they will be either side of the car and then when the (for example) lights go green and the car accelerates again you have to be super careful about what cyclists are on each side of the car

2. Cyclists riding parallel to each other on single carriageways. Particularly the road from Kingston towards Hampton Court Palace. You will get cyclists riding alongside each other meaning to overtake them (it is a 40 MPH road) you have to enter the opposite lane. What's the ruling on this?

3. Traffic lights. Cyclists I see on the road typically stop at a red light but I have noticed when at a red if the road is clear some will go through it (you can't do this in a car). What's the ruling on this? I assume the same rules that apply to a motor vehicle apply to a cycle?

4. Cycles on bottleneck roads. For example there are a couple of railway bridges near me which are single lane and use traffic lights to allow alternative directions of traffic flow. I've noticed cyclists will typically go to the front of the queue when the lights are red, then when they go green will pull out in front of the cars and then cycle extremely slowly over the bridge (it is a steep up and down) and this slow speed impacts all the cars behind and means fewer can get across before the lights go red again. Immediately adjacent to this single lane across the bridge is a pedestrian footpath. Would it be better for the cyclist to walk their bike across the bridge on the footpath and re-enter the road on the other side of the bridge in order to avoid creating traffic congestion behind them?

Would welcome feedback on what the actual rules are please

If not cyclist bashing why are you even asking number 3, surely everyone knows the answer?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Would welcome feedback on what the actual rules are please
    Or just read the Highway code:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high...lists-59-to-82

There’s good and bad in all types of motorist, I guess if you’re a dick behind the wheel you’ll likely be a dick in the saddle.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Thanks, I hadn't read those.

I wonder how many of us with bikes manufactured in the last 35 years have amber pedal reflectors? I don't.

Not sure of the rules but the penalties should be:

1. Birching
    2. Birching
    3. Death by Bum-Bum
    4. Birching

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    If not cyclist bashing why are you even asking number 3, surely everyone knows the answer?
    I'd always assumed the sign with the big white arrow on blue background meant 'One way', but since cycling more during lockdown I learned that round our way we have a cycle scheme in place that allows cyclists to go the wrong way down these streets. Seems bloody dangerous to me but it is an actual bylaw

SydR
    1. Filtering left or right is dependent on a number of factors; road width, layout, junction configuration etc etc. Both are equally valid and allowed.
    2. The highway code allows for cycling two abreast and, in some situations, it can be helpful. Say for example an group ride. It is easier and shorter to pass 10 cyclists two abreast than 10 in single file. If you were passing a car you would have to enter the opposite lane. Why should passing a bike be different?
    3. Traffic lights apply equally to cyclists, the only difference being the use of the advance stop line if one is there. Some cyclists are simply idiots.
    4. Cyclists have equal (arguably greater*) right to use the road as motor vehicles)

* cyclists have a right to use the road. Drivers are only permitted to do so under licence terms.

Master
    cyclist bashing thread dressed up as ‘trying to understand’ and / or ‘concern’.

I used to be a very serious and committed road cyclist (full skinny Lycra type) doing a couple of hundred of hilly moorland road miles per week

I never went through a red light and was ultra cautious and sensible.

I gave up after the third hit and run (resulting in broken wrist). Every ride felt like a war; them vs us. Constantly getting ‘buzzed’ by cars closely overtaking, honked at for just legally being there, spat at / random objects thrown at me through car windows when totally minding my own business. I desperately miss the freedom but I don’t miss the constant fear and worry.

Car drivers are, for the most part, very entitled and bullying on the road. Normal people become monsters from the safety of their metal box and behave in a way they wouldn’t face to face, person to person.

The story here isn’t how cyclists are annoying, it’s how selfish car drivers are.
    Last edited by ach5; 21st November 2020 at 20:41.

Some cyclists ride sensibly, some are idiots.

Some drivers drive sensibly, some are idiots.

Where I live, I see a mixture of all four. No side is blameless.

Yeh but what about helmets and insurance

Master
    PS I’ve been party to dozens of ‘cyclist’ threads on various forums and they always go the same way.

I get very angry when I see a cyclist do something stupid as I feel it lets us all (other cyclists) down.

But you can’t legislate for idiots.

Most ‘proper’ cyclists ie the Lycra brigade, of which I was part, have *very* good road manners. But *anyone* can ride a bike; including children, and just random people going from A to B and I would wager in most cases, the ‘idiots’ are the latter category. But the hate gets heaped on all cyclists.

This is a pointless thread, honestly: just like on the roads, it will end up a stand off.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    PS I’ve been party to dozens of ‘cyclist’ threads on various forums and they always go the same way.

I get very angry when I see a cyclist do something stupid as I feel it lets us all (other cyclists) down.

But you can’t legislate for idiots.

Most ‘proper’ cyclists ie the Lycra brigade, of which I was part, have *very* good road manners. But *anyone* can ride a bike; including children, and just random people going from A to B and I would wager in most cases, the ‘idiots’ are the latter category. But the hate gets heaped on all cyclists.

This is a pointless thread, honestly: just like on the roads, it will end up a stand off.
    I live in a village in the Peak District and we have the Mrs Joneses who cycle to the local WI meetings, plus the Lycra peloton brigade you refer to.

Without doubt the idiots belong to the latter.

A bit like with motorcyclists (of which I am one), the larger the group, the more boorish the behaviour.

You rarely get this unique group mentality with drivers, although that doesn’t mean they are blameless.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    I live in a village in the Peak District and we have the Mrs Joneses who cycle to the local WI meetings, plus the Lycra peloton brigade you refer to.

Without doubt the idiots belong to the latter.

A bit like with motorcyclists (of which I am one), the larger the group, the more boorish the behaviour.

You rarely get this unique group mentality with drivers, although that doesn’t mean they are blameless.
    Perhaps true. I was a lone wolf and never once cycled with anyone else over the years.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cycling in London isn’t like the rest of the country.

London cyclist seem a crazy bunch.

Just ride sensible.

Don’t go through red lights. That just fuels the haters.

I will say that for every 1 example of idiocy I see from a cyclist, I can point to about 10 from car/motorbike/van drivers.

I drive more than cycle and try to give equal consideration to both, but no matter how stupid you think the behaviour is from any road user, it will never warrant responding in kind.

Craftsman
    My god, I hope I never have to share the same bit of road as you.
    You seem to genuinely expect cyclists to get out of your way.

Get off their bike and push it on the path? That delay probably cost you 10 seconds on your journey.
    Would you whine like this if this was about horses, or tractors, or an old steam engine?
    The road is for everyone. Get a bloody grip.

Grand Master
    If your car was as thin as my bike and you were the engine then what would you do?

I go through red lights sometimes when safe to do so because then I’m clear of motorists and wont hold them up later and because I can.

I filter left and right depending where I see the safest pathway.

I’m never comfortable knowing I’m holding up traffic so avoid riding 2 a breast but am also aware that 40mph isn’t the compulsory speed its the maximum.

Personally I want to ride my bike without upsetting anyone and nor do I want people getting upset with me. Everytime you see a bike thats a person getting fit, reducing the carbon footprint, so cut them a little slack but we have to accept that there will be idiots on bike like there are on motorbikes and in cars and trucks.
    RIAC

Whoa there are a couple of people who got off on the wrong foot here and treating this as an anti cyclist rant. Nothing I have said is anything remotely rant-like and as it happens I'm considering cycling again for fitness (although bl**dy hell have 'proper' bikes shot up in price since I last did it around 30 years ago!).

I was genuinely asking questions. I couldn't care less if a cyclist goes through a red light as I don't need to worry about them if they are gone.

If I'm being honest the only thing of the points I listed that irks me a bit is the cyclists riding either side of the car as it just means I need to be extra vigilant for their safety. I say this in the context of being a London driver and needing to be super aware of black cabs driving like morons or uber drivers making random maneuvers and double decker buses everywhere.

Add in cyclists immediately to my left and right (and the car has blind spots) and the chance of a fatal accident is high which is why I thought there should be some rule around cyclists overtaking motor vehicles and what side they should pass (so a motorist knows which mirror to pay particular attention to)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If I'm being honest the only thing of the points I listed that irks me a bit is the cyclists riding either side of the car as it just means I need to be extra vigilant for their safety. I say this in the context of being a London driver

I thought it was because you drove a giant SUV with terrible visibility? ��

I thought it was because you drove a giant SUV with terrible visibility? ��
    I'm not sure what this has to do with anything? Seems like you are trying to pick a fight? That is what the Bear Pit is for. For what it is worth the car doesnt have terrible visibility and in any case has sensors everywhere but with the number of distractions already on such roads you can see how the risk increases for cyclists specifically on this one point of which side they overtake a vehicle. Particularly as there are loads of cyclists. Imagine instead of a car it is a bus or a lorry for example that they are overtaking.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything? Seems like you are trying to pick a fight? That is what the Bear Pit is for.

I think we are allowed jokes in the George and Dragon.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Personally I want to ride my bike without upsetting anyone and nor do I want people getting upset with me. Everytime you see a bike thats a person getting fit, reducing the carbon footprint, so cut them a little slack but we have to accept that there will be idiots on bike like there are on motorbikes and in cars and trucks.
    This sums it up.

Its a shame you said this previous...

I go through red lights sometimes when safe to do so because then I’m clear of motorists and wont hold them up later and because I can..
    Arguably it’s never safe to go through a red light. If a car driver said that you’d call them unsafe and I don’t think it should be any different for a cyclist.
    As the Highway Code for cyclists states “You must obey all traffic signs and traffic light signals”

It wasn’t that long ago that I nearly took out a cyclist who rode through a red light.

I think we are allowed jokes in the George and Dragon.
    Ah ok my bad I didn't realise it was a joke. Words are easily misinterpreted. As we were then :)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    This sums it up.

Its a shame you said this previous...

Arguably it’s never safe to go through a red light. If a car driver said that you’d call them unsafe and I don’t think it should be any different for a cyclist.
    As the Highway Code for cyclists states “You must obey all traffic signs and traffic light signals”

It wasn’t that long ago that I nearly took out a cyclist who rode through a red light.
    The car driver has a massive metal box with an engine and is enclosed!

Have you ever crossed a road without the use of a pedestrian crossing! At crossroads i could get off and do this but judge it safe to just pedal if i can clearly see all possible hazards.
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Yeh but what about helmets and insurance
    They’re normally in their metal boxes trying to ‘make progress’ and I hope most insurance issues are caught via apnr

Edit: minus 10 points for failing to mention ’road tax’
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 21st November 2020 at 22:17.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Some cyclists ride sensibly, some are idiots.

Some drivers drive sensibly, some are idiots.

Where I live, I see a mixture of all four. No side is blameless.
    This for me too. To try and help the OP and other London dwellers my observations are thus:

Idiot cyclists-Risk factors include an Uber Eats/Deliveroo rucksack, tourists on Santender bikes and MAMILS on the morning commute (especially the one who dared to shout at me for crossing a zebra crossing slowing him down...)

Idiot drivers-Risk factors include white SUV's, Merc G wagen in all colours, mopeds (especially with Just Eat/Uber Eats/Deliveroo box) Toyota Prius' (which are inevitably Uber drivers), all Addison Lee/black Galaxies and anything with a UAE plate

Obviously not a 100% success rate but the above generally helps me whether a pedestrian, cyclist or driver....

(for anyone with a sensitive disposition, the above are at least partially tongue in cheek...)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post

You could well argue that just because the green light gives you right of way that doesn’t mean it’s safe per se, I’ve seen numerous instances of light jumping be that cycle, car, truck or taxi.

Master
    Been a while since we have had a cyclist thread, apart from the long running appreciation one..
    Reminds me that we must be about due for a Rolex vs GS thread - not seen one of them for ages!

Point 3 of Ryan's list - not excusing it or whataboutery, but I see an awful lot of cars going through red lights here in London.. Seems like its allowed if it's just turned red..
    It really bugs me though when I see cyclists going through reds or across Zebra's when people are crossing, as others said above - it just makes it worse for those of us who do follow and obey the rules..

My 7 rules of cycling are:
    1 Don't get killed
    2 Don't get injured
    3 Don't injure anyone else
    4 I will always use a footpath or cycle path if possible and I will stop or ride on the grass to avoid pedestrian conflict.
    5 Red lights are optional to a cyclist, if there is an empty road I will cross, soooo carefully.
    6 Most vehicles are bigger than me, I will lose any dispute.
    7 If in doubt refer to 1,2 and 3.

Master
    Btw. The road between Hampton Court and Kingston is now 30mph and has been for about 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Btw. The road between Hampton Court and Kingston is now 30mph and has been for about 6 months.
    It’s 20 mph in parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    It’s 20 mph in parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes of course, at the Hampton Court end heading towards Kingston, however I'm normally blasting through at 35 overtaking on the outside :)

Surely about being sensible, whether behind the steering wheel, or handles bars.

I have been had a go at in the past 2 weeks by cyclists...Ill open myself up for a flaming.

First one in Dulwich village, early on a Sunday morning. Client said I can park on his drive.had indicators on and waited for a bus to pass ahead, and a cyclist beyond. Road clear,started manoeuvre, as reversing slowly a father on a bike with his young boy had a go at me for "claiming" I didn't see him whilst reversing. I did point out, as he clearly saw me mid manoeuvre, that I could not see him, as he was not only cycling on what would have been the wrong side of the road, but behind parked cars and on a pavement.
    I do believe it is illegal in the Highway Code, to cycle on a pavement, and an act that can carry a fine. I really think he should think and look twice if he's taking a young child out and not being observant himself and potentially dangling pedestrians.... Hey ho.

2nd incident was an idiot cycling up Corkscrew Hill/West Wickham. He tapped on my window in the hight St and claimed that I passed him rater close.

He didn't think the same of the 3 cars that did the same in front of me. If anyone knows said hill, its a pig of a road. He was wobbling all over the place cycling up the hill, on some sort of ill fitting fold up bike. It was more him wavering into passing cars...If its that much of a struggle, stop, Hop off and walk....

Add rules 159 to 203 to that...www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/using-the-road-159-to-203.

Rule 163 includes an illustration that the OP may find illuminating.

a scary thing I keep encountering more and more, is cars overtaking cyclists when I am coming the opposite direction,

Driving etiquette when faced with cyclists is to give them plenty of room to get on as you could easily badly injure or even kill them, they are making the roads in the city’s less congested..even the idiot ones.

Don’t pass too close as it’s intimidating. Keep an eye out as they could come from any direction.

The unwritten rule is that road regs don’t apply to cyclists so try and respect this.

Cyclists have been on the roads well before cars started sharing the space with them.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Not sure of the rules but the penalties should be:

1. Birching
    2. Birching
    3. Death by Bum-Bum
    4. Birching
    I always thought that it was Death by Magumba
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    And as a cyclist I do not understand the mentality of those who do none stop laps of it when they could get out to far quieter local roads. I can only assume they either dont have puncture repair kits or are on a ASBO tag
    RIAC

I feel like OPs concerns have been answered enough, so just my 2 pence worth here.

Driving in England is pretty good comparing to other European countries. However, cycling in England is just about as dangerous as it gets. I ride all year around with very bright lights 95% of the time (5% is when the battery runs out), so I am visible. Few years ago, I have started cycling in the middle of the lane whenever I’m out of town. I only let the drivers pass when it’s safe to do so. Otherwise, I get a little elbow/wing mirror action or almost getting knocked over. If I cycle close to the side of the road, good 80% of drivers will take a chance and try to overtake me even if there’s a car oncoming on the opposite lane. It’s scary. The roads are not perfect, and if there’s a pot hole I need to avoid and swerve a bit into the road - I can get hit easily.
    There’s just as many idiot cyclists, but they are more a danger to themselves, so I tend not to bother when I’m stopped at a red light and some idiot almost knocks me over because he can go on the red light when everyone else is stopped. This happens more in the city but still, I don’t get why would you feel the need to go on the red. Some good excuses mentioned above but yeah, nah.

Just be sensible people, we’re all in this together and nobody wants to get killed/injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by deanlad View Post
    Surely about being sensible, whether behind the steering wheel, or handles bars.

I have been had a go at in the past 2 weeks by cyclists...Ill open myself up for a flaming.

First one in Dulwich village, early on a Sunday morning. Client said I can park on his drive.had indicators on and waited for a bus to pass ahead, and a cyclist beyond. Road clear,started manoeuvre, as reversing slowly a father on a bike with his young boy had a go at me for "claiming" I didn't see him whilst reversing. I did point out, as he clearly saw me mid manoeuvre, that I could not see him, as he was not only cycling on what would have been the wrong side of the road, but behind parked cars and on a pavement.
    I do believe it is illegal in the Highway Code, to cycle on a pavement, and an act that can carry a fine. I really think he should think and look twice if he's taking a young child out and not being observant himself and potentially dangling pedestrians.... Hey ho.

2nd incident was an idiot cycling up Corkscrew Hill/West Wickham. He tapped on my window in the hight St and claimed that I passed him rater close.

He didn't think the same of the 3 cars that did the same in front of me. If anyone knows said hill, its a pig of a road. He was wobbling all over the place cycling up the hill, on some sort of ill fitting fold up bike. It was more him wavering into passing cars...If its that much of a struggle, stop, Hop off and walk....
    Situation one:

You don’t give much indication as to the age of the child. In certain cases I can understand a parent not wanting a very young child cycling on the road but yes, in general it is not legal for, certainly the parent, to ride there.

There was a story run in a national newspaper recently of an elderly cyclist riding through a London park, where bylaws forbade cycling. A dog walker threw a ball for her dog, parallel to the path, but an awkward bounce caused the dog and cyclist to collide. The cyclist won a compensation case in court as the dog owner has a duty of care that she had not met.

Playing devils advocate: what if it was simply a pedestrian, who have every right to be there that you failed to see?

Situation two. If a cyclist believes enough to tell you that you have passed too close then you have passed too close. End of story and you review you own driving.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    As a cyclist both on and off the road for years as well as a motorist it does wind me up when cyclists are determined to ride 2 abreast on roads and not filter in to single file when a car is behind them, fortunately that doesn't happen much up this way as most are sensible.

All towns around here(Scottish Borders)are 20mph limits and will be for next 18 months as a trial and more than likely that will stay as it's encouraging more cycling which is great.

Just remember the new law when passing a cyclist is now 1.5m,quite a few areas have run schemes bit now fines are in place if caught.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by Dm1672 View Post
    As a cyclist both on and off the road for years as well as a motorist it does wind me up when cyclists are determined to ride 2 abreast on roads and not filter in to single file when a car is behind them, fortunately that doesn't happen much up this way as most are sensible.
    Can you clarify if you are talking about two cyclists or a group?

And for clarity the distance is a minimum of 1.5 metres

Quote Originally Posted by Dm1672 View Post

Just remember the new law when passing a cyclist is now 1.5m,quite a few areas have run schemes bit now fines are in place if caught.
    Is this just Scotland?

Excellent law and long overdue. I cycle almost everyday and get buzzed several times each ride.

Master
    Cyclists and motorists should ALL obey the law and drive considerately, ANYONE who doesn't is endangering themselves and others.

I have often thought it would be beneficial if all motorists had to cycle for a period prior to getting a licence as the key factor for me when cycling is an awareness of just how utterly vulnerable you are compared to a motor vehicle. I ride defensively at all times and very occasionally two a breast but only where I judge there is insufficient space for a motor vehicle to SAFELY overtake a single cyclist (meaning I wouldn't remotely consider doing so when driving).

Be kind to everyone, better to be a few seconds late getting to your destination than to be involved in a situation where someone never arrives at theirs.
    Last edited by deepreddave; 22nd November 2020 at 09:58.

I ride more than I drive since WFH
    This means about 40-50 miles each week if not raining.
    When I drive and need to pass a cyclist I always pass as if he was a car, only slower. If the lane is too narrow I wait, they usually pull over when they can.
    However if they ride abreast, I also pass them as if I was passing a car, but without any consideration for the distance between my car and the rightmost cyclist. For me, 2 cyclists abreast is a 4 wheeler.
    And when cycling with my teenage daughter or my wife, I wouldn’t dream of riding abreast and making myself a deliberate nuisance to other road users.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    However if they ride abreast, I also pass them as if I was passing a car, but without any consideration for the distance between my car and the rightmost cyclist. For me, 2 cyclists abreast is a 4 wheeler.
    And when cycling with my teenage daughter or my wife, I wouldn’t dream of riding abreast and making myself a deliberate nuisance to other road users.
    If you deliberately do not provide a safe space when overtaking then you are admitting dangerous driving. I presume you would behave differently if the right most cyclist was your wife or daughter so may be worth remembering that the cyclists you endanger are someone's family.

Over-entitled motorists are a danger to all road users.

Master
    Blog Entries

I go through red lights sometimes when safe to do so because then I’m clear of motorists and wont hold them up later and because I can.

Please don’t do this, I can see the logic but it just gives fuel to the haters. It just looks like you are selfish and have no regard for the law.

I give them the same space as a car. They are endangering themselves by deliberately obstructing the road.
    Neither my wife nor my daughter could be the one on the right. It’s called consideration to other users. It’s part of education. The entitled idiots are the ones riding abreast and alienating other road users.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    It's called a punishment pass and as a cyclist yourself I'm surprised you would do that.