closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Popular watches that don’t do it for you?

Speedmaster Pro - I like the reduced/automatics though.

Seamaster 300 - desperately want to like them but they just don’t fit and look stupid on me.

AP ROO - too much going on

PP Nautilus - the shape doesn’t do anything for me at all. Not that I’ll ever be able to afford one anyway.

Any G-shock - I had my fill of those as a kid.

Any Cellini - oh, you said popular. Sorry.

Craftsman
    Rolex hulk - it's green!! Any watch that's green is too green. Green doesn't feature in my list of favourite colours. Virtually none of my clothes are green, I would never buy a green car. I do not like green 😂

Rolex dssd . It's massive- in both size and weight. Why bother when the sub is a much more civilized size??

Most tudors- blocky hands. It's not a snowflake, it reminds me more of early 80's computer games, with massive pixels. Think Horace goes skiing😂

Most breitlings. Too shiny, or big, or brash, or really busy dials. Sometimes all of the above!

Most modern omegas. Too thick and less wearable and too expensive. Like they are trying too hard!

I'll stop there. It's a wonder I like any watches. Am I on the right forum?? Happy new year😂

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    Rolex hulk - it's green!! Any watch that's green is too green. Green doesn't feature in my list of favourite colours. Virtually none of my clothes are green, I would never buy a green car. I do not like green 😂

Rolex dssd . It's massive- in both size and weight. Why bother when the sub is a much more civilized size??

Most tudors- blocky hands. It's not a snowflake, it reminds me more of early 80's computer games, with massive pixels. Think Horace goes skiing😂

Most breitlings. Too shiny, or big, or brash, or really busy dials. Sometimes all of the above!

Most modern omegas. Too thick and less wearable and too expensive. Like they are trying too hard!

I'll stop there. It's a wonder I like any watches. Am I on the right forum?? Happy new year😂
    I was about to ask the same question that you did in your last paragraph 😂

Panerai
    G shock
    Speedie's
    Smart watches
    Rolex Daytona
    Hublot
    AP

And maybe more that I have missed

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    Tudor. Any model with snowflake hands. I just don’t get them.
    +1

Craftsman
    The speedie.

Get the history behind it. Too many LE’s

Edit. The latest version I’m warming to

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I'm afraid it doesn't help. I have distance glasses but they mean I can't see brillaintly closer up. The hands are too skinny and blend into the dial for me.
    Same issue with some champagne dial gold hand datejusts
    Ha ha,have to agree with you on the champagne dial DJs. Had a TT DJ41 with the champagne dial, and had that exact problem. Shame because otherwise I really liked the watch. Traded it for that 16610 in the end!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Modern Omega Sea Masters except the Planet Ocean - just too many about.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Patek Nautilus

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I’ll take a classic Calatrava over a Nautilus anytime, polar opposite of premier league footballer flash.

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    I’ll take a classic Calatrava over a Nautilus anytime, polar opposite of premier league footballer flash.

That is a beauty

Craftsman
    Heresy how many mentioned Daytona ;)

Daytona is my personal favourite of all my watches.

My least liked of the generally lauded high end brands is Panerai, but that's just personal preference.

How can anyone hate this?

Master

Popular watches that don’t do it for you?

Quote Originally Posted by JasH View Post

My least liked of the generally lauded high end brands is Panerai, but that's just personal preference.

Agree, despite the hype, I own and love the Daytona also. It is also considerable different to the divers and GMT, which is a good thing.

Last edited by ac11111; 8th January 2021 at 22:36.

Master

Completely agree. Patek class is the calatrava and complications range for me.

As for Daytona... agree with posters above.

Craftsman
    smart watches - yuck

Not exactly hate, just don’t get.
    To my eyes, and that’s obviously personal taste, it looks tacky. I would expect to see them sold on a Russian bazaar.
    The vintage ones though... lush!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I actually find the general shape of the PP nautilus unappealing. AP RO's design I'm fine with. Also not 100% on board with the daytona but i'm not sure if that's more sour grapes for never being able to get one .

Generally I don't like watches with the crown at the 4 o'clock. I get WHY they have that design but it's so asymmetric.

Apprentice
    Another vote for the Royal Oak here. Compared to the Patek Aquanaut or the Czapek Antarctique it's just pretty darn ugly (to me at least!).

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Let the Daytona fightback continue

I must admit that when the latest Daytona came out I got excited about the move to a Ceramic insert, a return to the 4 digit reference bezels if you will, but since the steel bezels on the 165xx and 1165xx series have been replaced, I have grown to love them even more than I did before.

I also prefer the thinner hands which disappeared around 2003'ish and of course a blank rehault.

The White dials are often criticised for being unclear, but I think the Black Sub dial rings helps with that and to me as an old git in glasses it really isn't a problem.

Just shows that even on the steel version of this watch over the years there is a lot of variety and that's without considering the TT and PM versions.

Anyway, here's mine.

Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 9th January 2021 at 09:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Let the Daytona fightback continue

I must admit that when the latest Daytona came out I got excited about the move to a Ceramic insert, a return to the 4 digit reference bezels if you will, but since the steel bezels on the 165xx and 1165xx series have been replaced, I have grown to love them even more than I did before.

I also prefer the thinner hands which disappeared around 2003'ish and of course a blank rehault.

The White dials are often criticised for being unclear, but I think the Black Sub dial rings helps with that and to me as an old git in glasses it really isn't a problem.

Just shows that even on the steel version of this watch over the years there is a lot of variety and that's without considering the TT and PM versions.

Anyway, here's mine.
    There is simply far too much contrast on the white dial ceramic Daytona. One reason I like the earlier versions is the steel bezel gives the watches a nicer monochromatic look. I'm indifferent on the black rings on the 16520, but I agree on the slimmer hands and also the slightly better placement of the subdials due to the movement.

Master
    I actually prefer the look of fatter hands of post 2003 Daytonas so each to their own, also helps with legibility for those that complain on that front, although I usually just look at my watch to admire it!

Funny, isn't it?

People have expressed dislike of all sorts of watch but it's only the Rolex owners who have leapt in to to defend their watch.

Almost as if they feel they need the validation of others...

I find the Daytona too small and 'bling', but it's the Sub I really don't 'get'. The problem is probably that it's so widely copied as a design (a bit like an AC Cobra) that the original is undermined in my eyes. It's just another diver amongst thousands.

If you could buy them at list price maybe they'd be understandable, but the current price insanity is totally lost on me.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Omega Ploprof. Looks like someone tried to make a watch case using a bandsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Funny, isn't it?

People have expressed dislike of all sorts of watch but it's only the Rolex owners who have leapt in to to defend their watch.

Almost as if they feel they need the validation of others...

M
    Well to give it some balance, I'll defend the PP Aquanaut as well. I had one of those, one of the most legible watches I have owned, extremely light and comfortable and if you could buy one without parting with an amount of money the size of a deposit on a house I would certainly have another

Master

Popular watches that don’t do it for you?

I don’t like 90% of watches...would be more efficient to list the ones I like for rather than dislike! I’ll probably lose a lot of friends on here if I spoke my mind on what I thought of most watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    Not exactly hate, just don’t get. To my eyes, and that’s obviously personal taste, it looks tacky. I would expect to see them sold on a Russian bazaar.
    My thoughts exactly.

Master
    Let me get this straight, you don’t like the Daytona because you think that Russian Bazaars are full of fake Daytonas, and you don’t want to be associated with that....sorry I’ll stop digging now, quite funny though

Let me get this straight, you don’t like the Daytona because you think that Russian Bazaars are full of fake Daytonas, and you don’t want to be associated with that....sorry I’ll stop digging now, quite funny though
    I did not say that at all.

I *don’t get* Daytona’s because of the imbalanced proportions. To my eyes (again, personal opinion), it looks tacky - like many things at a Russian bazaar. It’s all a bit tongue in cheek, if you still didn’t notice.

Seems like quite a few people mistake not getting the design for actively hating the damn thing.

Master

I *don’t get* Daytona’s because of the imbalanced proportions. To my eyes (again, personal opinion), it looks tacky - like many things at a Russian bazaar. It’s all a bit tongue in cheek, if you still didn’t notice.

Seems like quite a few people mistake not getting the design for actively hating the damn thing.

Fair enough, yes I thought you meant you saw fake ones at Russian bazaars, got wrong end of stick

Craftsman
    Over the years I have had a few divers watches and tried to like them. Now I am older I can come clean, they just don’t do it for me, I know they are very popular and I am sure the tech that certifies them to 20,000 leagues is amazing, but no, not for me.

Fair enough, yes I thought you meant you saw fake ones at Russian bazaars, got wrong end of stick
    Never been to a Russian bazaar, but I imagine if they’d have fake watches, it would be more than just Daytonas, therefore I would not like many more than just this model.

I'm not sure how popular (generally) they are, but I never get those GO watches where the actual time telling dial is the size of a ladies watch and the rest features a pointless power reserve meter, a massive date or part of the mechanism sticking out the front.

I know the quality, finish, etc is amazing, but the aesthetics baffle me.

That said, I've never seen anyone wearing one, so I guess they're probably not that popular.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 9th January 2021 at 17:27.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Never been to a Russian bazaar, but I imagine if they’d have fake watches, it would be more than just Daytonas, therefore I would not like many more than just this model.

Probably unlikely to find fake or tacky watches in Russian bazaar anyway (from google image) looks more like food produce and a sprinkling of babushka dolls! More common in the markets of the Far East probably!

Probably unlikely to find fake or tacky watches in Russian bazaar anyway (from google image) looks more like food produce and a sprinkling of babushka dolls! More common in the markets of the Far East probably!
    Well, there we go :-)

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I'm not sure how popular (generally) they are, but I never get those GO watches where the actual time telling dial is the size of a ladies watch and the rest features a pointless power reserve meter, a massive date or part of the mechanism sticking out the front.

I know the quality, finish, etc is amazing, but the aesthetics baffle me.

That said, I've never seen anyone wearing one, so I guess they're probably not that popular.

M
    One of my favourite watches :) and only sold to raise funds to buy my house. We all like different things, and I totally accept it’s a very different look.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Love this watch also, my favourite GO, there is one on the TZUK and had enquired about it before

Heuer Monaco. Fugly.
    Bremont. Don't get it.
    Rolex Cellini. Why?

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

The Daytona is a cheap look. If that design had been released by Citizen or Pulsar it wouldn't have gotten the time of day from anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    The Daytona is a cheap look. If that design had been released by Citizen or Pulsar it wouldn't have gotten the time of day from anyone.
    Precisely!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Heuer Monaco. Fugly.
    Bremont. Don't get it.
    Rolex Cellini. Why?

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
    I can understand if you don’t like the Monaco, although I don’t share that stance, but Bremont which is the whole brand, and Cellini a whole range. Is there more to the dislike?

For example, for me, I have a dislike of Christopher Ward, but it’s fuelled primarily from their branding, and seeing earlier cheaper made watches.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Pulsar ouch!!

On Rolex Cellini, I do like the rectangular art deco prince models, supreme level of case, movement and dial finish, and very underrated.

Journeyman

You can get a Daytona with symmetric lugs...you just have to pay for precious metal 🙄

No clue for the life of me why they don’t just make the stainless steel symmetric as well.

Older popular watch was the Glycine Incursore. Not only did it look huge on my wrist. Crown dug in at every opportunity.

Don't think it lasted two weeks before it was gone

DON

Hulk - utter shite in my eyes.

Craftsman

What puts me off that particular model is, where I grew up, the tiles in all the public toilets were the same colour white as that dial.

Master
    My god....Hans Wilsdorf has turned a few times in his grave....

That's a new one on me, a dial being compared to the inside of a public toilet

Master
    ....but at least it’s not in the toilet like the hulk

The hulk is the k-pop interpretation of a big fat cliche.

Master
    When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was an odd topic but having read some of the thread I find it really interesting and actually addresses the appreciation of the aesthetic form and function of a watch as opposed to the Rolex flipping angle.

Refreshing to read about appreciation of the wristwatch.