closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Popular watches that dont do it for you?

Popular watches that dont do it for you?

Im not sure its been done before but Im curious.
    Theres many watches I appreciate but wouldnt wear myself. However, theres some watches I wouldnt want even if they were free...
    Which of the popular watches dont do it for you/you just dont get? Or maybe even dislike them?

To me it has to be anything from Panerai. I just dont get them. The case design, the numbers, the lugs... theres nothing about them that appeals to me.
    And also the non Zenith Rolex Daytona - not sure exactly when the first one came out, 80s? 90s? But basically the one with 3 and 9 sub dials moved up a bit, and the asymmetrical lugs, a lot of text on the dial... this is an odd one, as I absolutely adore the vintage Daytonas.

So, whats yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolex dont see the appeal all look the same and expensive for simple watch.

Master
    Do like certain Panerai watches (the Sumbmersible) but one I just don't get is the Rolex Daytona. I know it's rather popular but to me it's all squeezed up and too much in your face. Do like other Rolex though so it's not the brand, just that model.

Another vote for the Daytona.

Patek Philippe Aquanaut and Nautilus - in my humble opinion they are 70s fugly

P.S. Daytona is too small and hard to read the time too
    Last edited by Halitosis; 20th November 2020 at 21:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Patek Philippe Aquanaut - in my humble opinion it is 70s fugly

Thats an interesting one. It doesnt do much for me, but I do quite like the look on some people.

Master
    Cannot stand those hand chiselled octagonal Patek Philippe monstrosities. Everything about them cries wrong.

Of course this is just one mans opinion and their enduring popularity suggests Im wrong, but gosh you couldnt pay me to like that design.

Speedmasters - Ed Black, Snoopy, Lazy Tuesday - ​whatever.

There are several premium brand watches that don't appeal to me for various reasons. However I will not name them as it is likely to lead to arguement and annoyance to people that own them. One person's opinion is of little matter to another. At least it should be. There's enough out there to satisfy everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    There are several premium brand watches that don't appeal to me for various reasons. However I will not name them as it is likely to lead to arguement and annoyance to people that own them. One person's opinion is of little matter to another. At least it should be. There's enough out there to satisfy everyone.
    I was hoping to see most of my personal watches in this thread.
    Its just a bit of fun but I get what you mean.

Another vote for Panerai, I just dont get them at all. Any of them.

And probably a controversial one - the speedy. Actually quite like it looks wise, but just dont see what all the fuss is about. Its never blown me away in the flesh, and always seems a bit, bland?

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Speedmasters - Ed Black, Snoopy, Lazy Tuesday - ​whatever.
    + 1 the snoopy especially

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Rather than kick the hell out of a certain brand or model there are things on a watch that are just not for me and I tend to avoid those particular watches. In no order:

A cyclops, crown on the left hand side, any fancy gear that sticks out over or around the crown, sub dials or date boxes that chop numbers in half, blue tinted AR crystals, watches over 42mm, Quartz watches (although I make an exception for the G-Shock solar watches like the full metals etc).

That said, I have owned watches with some of the above, which probably lead me to this conclusion.

Just to swim against the tide here: the Daytona is my favourite watch

Master
    Patek Aquanaut and Nautilus-I just couldn't walk pass all the fantastic (IMO) non sports watches Patek make and plump for either of these two. Aside from the potential profit, why would you buy one over sports watches from comparable brands?

Panerai-I can see the appeal and keep trying to convince myself I want one but I just don't!

Seiko SKX007 and similar. I nominated this in the most overrated thread. I owned one and the disadvantages significantly outweighted the advantages even when they were a lot cheaper...

5 digit explorer 2-I like most of the other 5 digit Rolex models but, like Panerai I have tried to want one of these as they are perfect function and size wise but I can't manage it. For some reason, I think they look cheap compared to the other contemporary models but these days they are anything but!

Daytona - Old fashioned

Speedmaster - Boring

Sent using Tapatalk

I have quite a few but top of the list would the the Daytona. There is nothing about the various versions of that watch I like.
    Next would be the Nautilus. Ugly as sin (as is virtually every Genta designed or inspired watch)
    To complete the top three - the Date Just. Its like someone who hates watches designed a watch. His or her thought process must of been - meh that will do... its boring.

The latest iteration of the Daytona for me. I have a vintage one, but would have no desire to buy the current model at list, let alone the inflated prices they're at.

Craftsman
    Daytona and Hulks.

Tudor. Any model with snowflake hands. I just dont get them.

Watches with tiny ladies sized dials in a big case.

Watches with plastic cases.

Cyclopses, dramatically cut away numbers, diamonds on the dial.

Tarted up Speedmasters and Monacos, I only really like the black and white ones.

Plenty of specific watches, too.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 20th November 2020 at 22:29.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

The Daytona just doesnt do it for me,I love the look of it ,but Ive tried many on and I just cant get on with it.

Craftsman
    Pretty much any Grand Seiko. I have tried to like them because of their relatively high build quality but I just cant buy one because they are freaking hideous.

Rolex Daytona.

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    I was hoping to see most of my personal watches in this thread.
    Its just a bit of fun but I get what you mean.

Haha. You're right. I was being grumpy. Always happens when I buy a watch and my funds are depleted. Bash on.:)

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    I'm with you on that. Odd looking things.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Absolutely, those snowflake hands are just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Rather than kick the hell out of a certain brand or model there are things on a watch that are just not for me and I tend to avoid those particular watches. In no order:

A cyclops, crown on the left hand side, any fancy gear that sticks out over or around the crown, sub dials or date boxes that chop numbers in half, blue tinted AR crystals, watches over 42mm, Quartz watches (although I make an exception for the G-Shock solar watches like the full metals etc).

That said, I have owned watches with some of the above, which probably lead me to this conclusion.

Just to swim against the tide here: the Daytona is my favourite watch
    I have a problem that the more bells and whistles on a watch the more I like them... until I buy them. 😂

- - - Updated - - -

North Flag is the only one I'd touch and I know that is marmite to a lot of people.

G-Shocks, all of them and any Speedmaster that's been ponced up

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    Any watch/brand with a stupid name, like the “Zxorix Terminatador XDM MKXDiii” or whatever shite. Usually massively oversized divers watches with the depth rating of about 7 miles.
    MVMT or whatever their name was.

Master
    Most green things - Hulk, Kermit, all ugly as hell

MVMT or whatever their name was.
    To quote the wonderfully funny and merciless Horological Dicktionary on Instagram -

AQRD B MVD GRP N 2018 MVMT R STRP CMPN SPCLZNG N CHP PCS F SHT THT DN'T HV NMRLS N THR DLS, LMF.

Seamaster. I can't get over the hands, the bezel or the bracelet.

Some of the ones I easily take a pass on are, tudors, speedmaster moon watch, g-shocks and grand seiko.

Journeyman
    Oh loads, but I'm pretty vanilla when it comes to watches. These spring to mind:
    • any 3,6,9 dial, looks unbalanced to me without the 12
    • all G-shocks
    • panda dials
    • I'm yet to see a TAG I like
    • Omega Seamaster (vintage is fine)
    • Patek Philippe Nautilus
    • diamonds

Speedmasters.z?zzz?z

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Patek Phillipe - Nautilus Hideous for hideous amounts of cash
    Hublot - there isn't one I have seen I like.

Never warmed to any Daytona, modern or vintage. They look a mess if modern and rinky-dink if vintage, and I generally dislike tachymetres on chronographs too.

Any of the new spate of blue dials with bracelet sports watches that have jumped on the Nautilus/RO bandwagon in recent years - like Lange, Tudor BB58 blue, and a few others - just bore me so much. Its becoming so dull and generic now.

The clamour over some (but not all) limited edition Speedies puzzles me too.

Tudor. Any model with snowflake hands. I just don’t get them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I'm with you on that. Odd looking things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Absolutely, those snowflake hands are just wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    Most green things - Hulk, Kermit, all ugly as hell
    Come to the dark side.....

Last edited by M1011; 21st November 2020 at 00:52.

There are lots of icons that are fine watches, but they just dont do it for me.

I like Rolex, but not the look of the Daytona. The dial is cramped and I really dislike tachymeter bezels

Patek Aquanaut and Nautilus, as they arent what PP is about, the Aquanaut is rather anodyne, and the Nautilus resolutely stuck in the 1970s

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, rather too big, and a bit dishonest, considering the far from haute horology origins of the original

Nearly all AP RO/ROO, although I would jump at a 15202, and controversially I would take a Hublot BB over a ROO

Reverso, Ive really tried to like it in the flesh, but I just dont.

But then I like some weird stuff, and Im not the arbiter of good taste

Dave

I dont like Roman numerals on watches, and Im not a fan of chronographs either. Although I can appreciate the mechanical engineering of a Daytona or Speedy, I just cant warm to the cluttered aesthetic.

The other is the Seiko SKX. Ive had about 3, Ive really tried to love it, I know its an icon. But after I flipped my last one Ive just decided I dont like them and thats that. I dont get the fuss over nato straps either, they can make even the cheapest watch look cheaper - why anyone would spend good money on a timepiece then rush to put it on a length of nylon is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by teeth man View Post
    Some of the ones I easily take a pass on are, tudors, speedmaster moon watch, g-shocks and grand seiko.
    Youve nailed it sir. Basically my whole collection.

Master
    For me it would have to be any Panerai or any of the AP ROO's, especially when they have what looks like a nut for the crown.. Not that keen on Rolex as I think they all look the same (though you can kind of say that about GS which I like), but there are a few of them I wouldn't say no to eg ND Sub or white Daytona.. There was one on the Friday thread that looked good (Hood's) - think the great photo helped..

Done to death but most of the non-diver Grand Seikos. The colorful, textured dials and the dainty looks don’t do anything for me.

Speedmasters.

Tried to like them, but they just dont do anything for me!! Stopped trying and accepted that theyre a part of horological history that escapes me!

+1 for me. And most PP.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    Rolex dont see the appeal all look the same and expensive for simple watch.
    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

The gimmick of the Omega helium escape valve. Just another way for water to ingress the case. Dont like the skeleton hand set of the seamaster. Sword hands and no HEV would be a winner for me. Could overlook the HEV if Omega would produce an updated 2254.

Do like my Daytona although if being able to read the time is its primary function its an absolute failure.
    Last edited by mylofitz; 21st November 2020 at 10:47.

Master
    Its strange how nearly 25% of all responses here dislike the Daytona. Maybe its not that strange as some of my friends arent keen on mine either.

Took me over a decade to get one and when I first tried, I had no idea how hard they were to get. Anyway happy to be with Ken in the minority here, definitely a keeper for me.

- Original Moonwatch, the most talked about watch that is drop dead boring in the metal.

- Rolex Explorer - boring as hell.

- Grand Seiko - unless you have a loupe on your eye, the case shapes are old fashioned, they feel insubstantial and the Chronos are horrid. The conversations they generate are dull as dishwater...spring drive is sneaky quartz and nobody cares about your Zaratsu polishing.

Craftsman
    For me:

- Aquanaut series
    - Royal Oak Offshore series
    - GS Skyflake
    - Rolex Skydweller
    - Omega Constellation Series

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Patek Philippe Aquanaut and Nautilus - in my humble opinion they are 70s fugly

Agreed on Patek

Paneri
    Bremont
    Hublot