closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Christmas Dinner Thread

Master
    Blog Entries

The Christmas Dinner Thread

Now the TV programs are starting to appear, I thought a thread was in order.
    A place to share what you’re planning and any recipes you may have. This year will certainly be different but it doesn’t mean we can’t eat like pigs!

Master
    Salad with walnuts and Wensleydale cheese with cranberries.

Saw these today... think they might be a step too far out of the traditional Christmas comfort zone

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Saw these today... think they might be a step too far out of the traditional Christmas comfort zone
    Jesus will be rolling in his grave! Then he'll probably rise and buy some. My god, those look tasty.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Salad with walnuts and Wensleydale cheese with cranberries.
    That’s opened a can of worms.....cheese with stuff in it is an affront to cheese kind. Nuts,fruit,marmite etc etc etc. No!

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    The missus and I agreed years ago to alternate between beef and turkey each year. This year it will be a rib of beef with a mushroom & Marsala sauce...plus veg and stuff.

I'm back on the keto diet so no carbs but plenty of cheese, hams etc. Not s fan of Turkey and don't eat beef but a pork belly roast with crackling would be superb!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    That’s opened a can of worms.....cheese with stuff in it is an affront to cheese kind. Nuts,fruit,marmite etc etc etc. No!
    Wensleydale cheese with cranberries really is the food of the gods. Yet to try Wensleydale with apricots though.

Standard traditional full Xmas dinner. Just for fewer people than normal. 5 way family zoom call arranged too with some zoom based party games planned also.

Master
    We’re having veal this year, just to decide on which way it’ll be cooked, pan fried in fancy breadcrumbs or rolled around cheese and wrapped in Parma ham with sauté potatoes.

Master
    We have decided to not have turkey this year for a change. Suckling pig could be on the agenda - a first for us.

Pete

We’ve both gone veggie so will be a side of salmon for us with the usual veg. (Mind you I might find some room for pigs in blankets although the wife will stick with being veggie)

If it ends up as just the two of us, beef Wellington, if it’s the normal chaos it’ll be a Suffolk ham, Turkey and then Ribb of beef on Boxing Day.

It’ll be Turkey and Ham with the trimmings, regardless of head count. Our order is in with our butcher, so depending on lockdown rules we’ll either be cleared out by Boxing Day or eating Turkey and Ham pie until February.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I always find turkey a fairly dull meat really, but we do have it on Xmas day, though we often do a second meat as there’s normally between 12 and 18 of us. This year there will be up to 7 of us, depending on what we can do. What I don’t get is why people have a turkey meal out on Xmas work do’s leading up to Xmas, knowing they’ll have it on the day. Unless of course you’re a turkey lover.

I think I enjoy Boxing Day bubble and squeak the most.

Master
    Capon instead of turkey.

Blog Entries
    It looks like it may just be SWMBO and myself this year given the current circs, if that ends up being the case then we are toying with the idea of a Fortnums turkey and ham pie just for a change, it looks yums and surprisingly it costs less than we normally spend on a turkey!

Craftsman
    Anyone else love Christmas Day evening sandwiches? Probably tops a dinner for me with all the other bits. Proper buffet tea.

Master
    Looking likely it will be a small one this year. Probably Beef Wellington, a chance it might be roast duck and a an outside chance we might get nostalgic for turkey. I don't particularly like turkey, but I love Boxing Days left overs, especially stuffing. Seafood of some description to start, smoked salmon, possibly prawns, maybe oysters. Probably a Christmas Pudding, but bought rather than homemade this year. Definitely a sherry trifle. Fairly good chance of a cheese board. I like the suggestion of a walnut salad. Lashing of booze, but I will try my best to remember the day. One Christmas Day I started the day with bloody marys while everyone else went to Church for a service. Probably best forgotten if only I could remember it.

Beef Wellington for us, vowed never to spend ridiculous amounts of money on a big chicken ever again.
    When we picked up the turkey last year my youngest blurted out "HOW MUCH?" whilst stood in the butchers. He still hasn't got over it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Emboldened by my lock-down bbq successes I’m planning a rotisserie turkey on the Weber.
    The wife however doesn’t share my confidence and thinks I should quit whilst I’m ahead.

In recent years we've tended to go with duck breasts. IMHO it's so much tastier than turkey and can be cooked in about 15 minutes. That said, the roast potatoes still take a good hour.

Hopefully its the wife and my folks this year so I'll be doing roast chicken on the weber rotisserie for mains. I maybe forced into cooking the devils testicles that are sprouts but other than that it'll be the usual roast veg. To start I'm planning sweet potato and orange soup with pistachio nuts, followed by prawn cocktail (old skool cool) using large head on shell on prawns, main course and then a pud of whatever my mum decides to make. Cheese & crackers with maybe some pate and vintage port later. Not sure about boxing day yet as we may go round my folks for that. I'm favouring some thai though on 27th, maybe beef and basil.

Master
    Sous vide beef and turkey crown, pigs in blankets, pork chestnut & haggis rissoles, roasties, Yorkshire’s and roasted balsamic & honey veg. Plenty of cheese for later in the day. Cannot wait for it.

Eat pigs in blankets all year round with roasts, I love them!

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Wensleydale cheese with cranberries really is the food of the gods. Yet to try Wensleydale with apricots though.
    I have - it's pretty good.

The Christmas Dinner Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    Anyone else love Christmas Day evening sandwiches? Probably tops a dinner for me with all the other bits. Proper buffet tea.
    Love cold turkey (ha, ha). Always buy the biggest I can find, should be easier this year.

Haven't had turkey for years. Aged rib of beef from the local butcher and all the trimmings for us this year. We normally buy a piece big enough to cover evening sandwiches and cold meat the next day. It's not cheap though....

Every time we've strayed from prawn&smoked salmon cocktail, followed by turkey and trimmings, it just hasn't felt like a Christmas dinner. Sticking with the classic this year, though the Mrs is pushing to have it Xmas eve again, didn't like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    Haven't had turkey for years. Aged rib of beef from the local butcher and all the trimmings for us this year. We normally buy a piece big enough to cover evening sandwiches and cold meat the next day. It's not cheap though....
    We do the same - had 6 at Christmas last year and I had bought a huge rib like something out of The Flintstones.

It did dinner, next day's lunch, and 2 meals for 3 of us after. (and that was after removing 2 of the 8 ribs on the original joint.)

Did it according to a recipe timings for planning, but used two digital temperature probes in the meat, to cook it to an exact 54Cdeg internal temperature. Best I have ever made.

The thermocouple unit has braided cables to the probes, and outputs to your phone if you want - alarming at the desired temperature. I wouldn't risk a £120 joint to any other method.

Master
    Hairy bikers did a section on Simpsons on the Strand & beef rib. Cook at 165 for 1.5hrs to internal of 33-35 and rest for 1.5hrs to 60C internal.

Their fat looked anaemic inside too & hadn’t rendered, so guess that’s just the way it is meant to look, ie mine was cooked correctly.

Usually cook to higher with probe and goes a little too high after resting, so will be going for their approach next.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Hairy bikers did a section on Simpsons on the Strand & beef rib.
    Have just finished watching it on iPlayer. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...eries-2-8-beef

The beef rib did look good. I've been meaning to visit Simpsons for years, now it is towards the top of my post lockdown list. Maybe I need to consider beef rib for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Capon instead of turkey.
    Us too.
    And roasties, pigs in blankets, good stuffing, confit carrots, gravy and little bullets of love (sprouts with pancetta and parmesan).

I will also have a single portion of Xmas pudding as I love it but am the only one in the house who will eat it.