closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: steinhart ocean vintage gmt 39mm

steinhart ocean vintage gmt 39mm

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/s...ition.5252590/

And sold out

unsurprisingly.....boutique only, limited run of 100 and all sold without any internet presence.

I give it a week before the usual suspect tries to gouge the £600 mark up on ebay.

Steinhart have done me a favour as it means I do not have to stay subscribed to their emails touting even more gaudy bi-metal variations of their diver watches.

I was holding out for one of these but they’ have saved me the bother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by messym; 20th November 2020 at 18:29.

It does seem a very strange business decision on the part of Steinhart. I am sure a general release 39mm version would have been very popular, as would a PanAm GMT White Dial which was released in the same way a year or two back.

I know who you mean and yes, I'm guessing he will have bought a handful of each version to ensure the cash keeps coming in. Seems to have no shortage of buyers though.

I find this kind of thing really frustrating - there’s obviously a demand for a model like this among the fan base so why limit it to 100 in an Asian boutique?

It’s like when they started the OVM 39 and various others as Gnomon exclusives. Steinhart is a European company yet their European customers were having to pay a premium in import fees etc to get one during the limited windows they were available.

All it does is frustrate loyal customers and give opportunists the chance to hoover up and sell at a premium. Is that what they want - is it some sort of Rolex-esque attempt at creating the allure of being unattainable and therefore more desirable? It would be nice to just say ‘oh hey, Steinhart have started making a 39mm OV GMT just like the fans were asking for, I'll pop over to their European website and order one for RRP’. But that would be too simple!

The seller was expecting some more to come in but I was wary of doing a bank transfer so didn’t bother.

Shame really as I’ve been after exactly this model and size for years.

Plenty more horological fish in the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    I find this kind of thing really frustrating - there’s obviously a demand for a model like this among the fan base so why limit it to 100 in an Asian boutique?

It’s like when they started the OVM 39 and various others as Gnomon exclusives. Steinhart is a European company yet their European customers were having to pay a premium in import fees etc to get one during the limited windows they were available.

All it does is frustrate loyal customers and give opportunists the chance to hoover up and sell at a premium. Is that what they want - is it some sort of Rolex-esque attempt at creating the allure of being unattainable and therefore more desirable? It would be nice to just say ‘oh hey, Steinhart have started making a 39mm OV GMT just like the fans were asking for, I'll pop over to their European website and order one for RRP’. But that would be too simple!
    not an asian boutique, a german one.

I agree with you. I’m losing patience with micro brands that try to ape unobtanium practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It does seem a very strange business decision on the part of Steinhart. I am sure a general release 39mm version would have been very popular, as would a PanAm GMT White Dial which was released in the same way a year or two back.

I know who you mean and yes, I'm guessing he will have bought a handful of each version to ensure the cash keeps coming in. Seems to have no shortage of buyers though.
    more fool them

I am tempted to waste his time frankly.

Last edited by messym; 20th November 2020 at 19:43.

Quote Originally Posted by messym View Post

I agree with you. I’m losing patience with micro brands that try to ape unobtanium practices.

I understand the business need to make special editions for boutiques and the various FB groups etc, but it shouldn't be at the cost of the main website and general public. Perhaps a policy of doing special casebacks for the various 'editions', but make normal version of the watches widely available to those who want them.

I think this is were they go wrong, putting the effort into creating something special or unique for a very small run of watches.

Master
    I think he's referring to the fact that most of these special editions are sold through Gnomom Watches in Singapore.

maseman

Have you tried to buy a Time Factors watch lately?

Confucius say, "Man with watch always know time; man with two watches never quite sure."

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Have you tried to buy a Time Factors watch lately?
    no, although I might take my chances when the Caribbean is released.

The last one I purchased was a used mint condition Smiths PRS-29b from the first run with a double domed crystal

Last edited by messym; 20th November 2020 at 23:52.

I've said for years that Steinhart should release this watch in a smaller size, and look how they've gone and done it! Still, it means I get to keep my Voyager for a while longer.
    F.T.F.A.

Don’t they have form for releasing a near-identical, non-limited version shortly after?

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Don’t they have form for releasing a near-identical, non-limited version shortly after?
    The OVM was the one people clamoured for in 39, it’s more readily available now but still only via Gnomon in Singapore. They made 39mm versions of their homages to existing Rolexes ie Sub & GMT Master II, you can buy them from Steinhart & Chronomaster easily.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    The OVM was the one people clamoured for in 39, it’s more readily available now but still only via Gnomon in Singapore. They made 39mm versions of their homages to existing Rolexes ie Sub & GMT Master II, you can buy them from Steinhart & Chronomaster easily.
    Tudor sub too

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    This one Ken ?

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    This one Ken ?

I'd buy two of those, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I'd buy two of those, just in case.
    Ken only had one to sell me.....

I had two actually, a Coke and a Pepsi. Also had the much rarer 42mm version which was limited to 40 watches and originally came from Soundood - had to give it a good clean before wearing it just in case

All three gone now...

Craftsman
    Reviving this thread as I saw that Gnomon has it as a new product...with Old Radium lume and no cyclops. Seems like it's out of stock already. I don't know if they are restocking or if it is limited or what. I've emailed Steinhart Germany for some to be made available in the UK through their Uk dealer which appears to be chronomaster.co.uk.