closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Faux 'Spotting' on a dial?

Faux 'Spotting' on a dial?

What is this sorcery?

I can just about live with the lighter faux lume but surely faux spotting is a step too far? It is for me at least.

Shame as it's an otherwise lovely watch.

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Longine...hoCtdcQAvD_BwE

Grand Master
    Seems really silly to me, but some folks will find it appealing. I dislike fake ageing on anything, but definitely on watches!

Craftsman
    Nice watch indeed. The dots wouldn't put me off per se, as it just looks patterned to my eyes.

Quite a lot of money for me though, and I would prefer a hand wound movement and a millimetre or 3 smaller.

But the pattern wouldn't put me off. Adds a bit of additional interest to the dial in my eyes.

That's interesting as I didn't even get to the movement or dimensions as I couldn't see past the dots.

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    Nice watch indeed. The dots wouldn't put me off per se, as it just looks patterned to my eyes.

Quite a lot of money for me though, and I would prefer a hand wound movement and a millimetre or 3 smaller.

But the pattern wouldn't put me off. Adds a bit of additional interest to the dial in my eyes.

Huh, it still exists. I thought Longines had quietly discontinued this thing and pretended it had never happened.

Master
    Seems out of place on a watch that presumably otherwise looks brand new. In the musical instrument industry, artificially aged guitars are known as "relics", and they usually do look like they've had a hard life.

Am I making it up, or weren't these dials made in such a way as no two were the same in their spotting?

Just no!
    If you must have an old looking watch, buy an old watch.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Am I making it up, or weren't these dials made in such a way as no two were the same in their spotting?
    You're not making it up

Master
    On the subject of Longines, I do like this:

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Longine...SABEgL37vD_BwE

ISTR (though I could be wrong) that this came out around the same time as the Air Ministry from Eddie became available. The original Longines was always the ginger-haired stepchild of the 6B/159s and has liitle appeal compared to either the Omega or the newer Smiths. The spotty dial rightly attracts much derision and does Longines no favours, but they probably sell by the bucket load...

Pure gash, along with Trump-coloured fake lume.

Craftsman
    Didn’t Christopher Ward do a watch recently with a uniquely “scratched” dial? Adds interest I guess, but not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post

Hear hear. The only thing that should age watches is time.
    F.T.F.A.

I am going against the grain here and say I don't really mind it, I think having a plain cream dial might make the watch look rather boring.
    If I were to find one of these used for a good price I would buy it for use as a 'dress' watch. The cases and dials on the originals are invariably shagged as they a were a budget watch. (plated alloy cases with paper dials in some cases) the spotting is in keeping with this as a homage
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 20th November 2020 at 14:42.

Saw that one in the flesh with another member last year. I thought it was great looking, but the spotting was just a bit too “nice”.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Hear hear. The only thing that should age watches is time.
    Totally agree! I seem to remember ranting about this watch before. This antiquing trend is weird, in years to come it will be looked upon in the same way we look at TAG link bracelets.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    ISTR (though I could be wrong) that this came out around the same time as the Air Ministry from Eddie became available. The original Longines was always the ginger-haired stepchild of the 6B/159s and has liitle appeal compared to either the Omega or the newer Smiths. The spotty dial rightly attracts much derision and does Longines no favours, but they probably sell by the bucket load...
    Link

Don’t like the spots but I think it’s a nice looking watch.

Master
    There's a San Martin homage with a similar spec (same size, auto movement)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004813792905.html

£138 in the sale. I've grown to like the spotty dial, though I don't think I've seen one in real life.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinaldo1711 View Post
    Don’t like the spots but I think it’s a nice looking watch.
    Agreed. I do not mind faux aged lume, in fact I would have the 38mm Railmaster trilogy in a heartbeat, but the spots are a bit too much for me. What next, crud in the movement?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Used to own that Longines. Had no issue with the faux spots. They were hand applied so every piece was unique. IMO Longines did a really good job on that reissue, it was a lovely watch.

I dislike the San Martin brand though. Every model is just a cynical straight rip off of other brands models. Part of wearing a watch is how the brand makes you feel and SM doesn’t do it for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Used to own that Longines. Had no issue with the faux spots. They were hand applied so every piece was unique. IMO Longines did a really good job on that reissue, it was a lovely watch.

I dislike the San Martin brand though. Every model is just a cynical straight rip off of other brands models. Part of wearing a watch is how the brand makes you feel and SM doesn’t do it for me.
    Agreed. The Longines model is splendid but I really can’t abide the San Martin brand and its business model of crimping out vile knock-off copies of Seiko and now Longines too.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post

I feel the same about SM (and a couple of others) and I don't know why. There is some stuff of theirs that I really like particularly when I feel that the "real thing" is not worth the price being asked but I still can't do it. I know that if I bought one, I would never wear it. So that would be just wasted money.

By the way, I don't mind at all about what other people do.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Agreed. The Longines model is splendid but I really can’t abide the San Martin brand and its business model of crimping out vile knock-off copies of Seiko and now Longines too.
    The problem is that as long as people buy the things, the makers will continue to make them. However the practice of copying seems acceptable now a days.

Faux spotting? Really? I mean really?
    I must be too old...

Sent from my XQ-BQ52 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Yeah, because mint green is just so much better.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 31st October 2022 at 23:25.

Beautiful longines, new for me.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    On the subject of Longines, I do like this:

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Longine...SABEgL37vD_BwE
    Yep that works better for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    There's a San Martin homage with a similar spec (same size, auto movement)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004813792905.html

£138 in the sale. I've grown to like the spotty dial, though I don't think I've seen one in real life.
    I have one of these now. I've put it on a new strap. Although the one it comes with is OK, it's a shade lighter than the Longines strap and doesn't suit the watch so much.

It's really a lovely watch. I still haven't seen the Longines original but if I'd bought one and received a watch as nicely made and finished as this one, I wouldn't be disappointed in the slightest.

I didn't like the idea of the spotted dial but in person it is so subtle I don't even notice it. I've owned it for 4 or 5 years and wear it regularly. Maybe I just have bad eyesight but I really like the watch. It is accurate, understated, comfortable and has an awesome crown.

Master
    To my dismay and horror I’ve started to develop aging spots in my hands and all the signs of a slow and steady decline in bodily function. To buy a watch with fake aged spots would be to much. A constant reminder of the inevitable passing of time.
    Might have to buy some bright orange dial dive watch again to pretend I’m a man of action

The bluing on the hands of that San Martin looks lovely.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Yes, it catches the light beautifully. Reminds me of my old IWC Mk XV.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Same with the Longines...I'm usually someone who prefers luminova for legibility in the watch models I buy, but the blued hands were a real draw on this watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you don't like the Longines, you'll certainly not approve of this:

https://spinnaker-watches.co.uk/coll...own-sp-5089-22

Can't see the appeal of it myself. If I want to wear a crappy old watch that looks terrible, I already have some. Ones that look legitimately crap, because I made them that way, not faux crap effect.
    Last edited by Fullbreakfast; 12th March 2024 at 18:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    To buy a watch with fake aged spots would be to much. A constant reminder of the inevitable passing of time.
    Isn’t a watch “a constant reminder of the inevitable passing of time” regardless?

Some nice watches in this thread. Not to forget how unique a real aged dial can be.

Sent from my XQ-BQ52 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Seems really silly to me, but some folks will find it appealing. I dislike fake ageing on anything, but definitely on watches!
    I agree. I think 'silly' is the best word for this. I'm not really sure on what the purpose is unless, as someone observed, the spotting in unique to each watch. I doubt this but have no evidence for it.