closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tv change oled to a QLED

Tv change oled to a QLED

Morning all
    Looking to get a new tv in the next month or so
    I’ve had my LG oled b7 55” 3 yrs now. Want to go to a 65”
    It’s between the oled cx65 and Samsung QLED Q90T. Both around £1700 on richer Sounds
    Any one got an opinion on which is better ?
    Cheers andy

QLED is not the same as OLED. QLED uses a back light with extra bells and whistles. It does not have individual pixels that emit light like OLED does. In my opinion OLED is superior on every way.

Out of interest, are you only changing to get the extra size (no sniggering at the back please)?
    I am in a very similar position. I bought an LG OLED 55C7 in the Black Friday sales 3 years ago. At the time the TV was going in a room that didn't have a TV and our previous biggest TV was 37" so we thought 55" was massive.
    Since then:
    • we very quickly got used to the size
    • we got a very good deal on an Atmos sound system so the built in sound bar of the C7 is redundant
    • my obsession first with Brexit and now Covid and working from home in this room with Sky News permanently on has burnt the 'Breaking News' bar into the screen.

I'm not desperate to change - the screen burn is only visible some of the time depending on what I'm watching and it's a 'bit of an annoyance' rather than ruining the viewing experience (although some people would find it unwatchable) - but if I got the right deal on a non-OLED 65" TV I'd take it.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Out of interest, are you only changing to get the extra size (no sniggering at the back please)?
    I am in a very similar position. I bought an LG OLED 55C7 in the Black Friday sales 3 years ago. At the time the TV was going in a room that didn't have a TV and our previous biggest TV was 37" so we thought 55" was massive.
    Since then:
    • we got a very good deal on an Atmos sound system so the built in sound bar of the C7 is redundant
    • my obsession first with Brexit and now Covid and working from home in this room with Sky News permanently on has burnt the 'Breaking News' bar into the screen.

I'm not desperate to change - the screen burn is only visible some of the time depending on what I'm watching and it's a 'bit of an annoyance' rather than ruining the viewing experience (although some people would find it unwatchable) - but if I got the right deal on a non-OLED 65" TV I'd take it.
    Yes mainly for the bigger screen and I’d like a better internal sound system tbh. Don’t want to bother with a separate sound bar set up

Since then:

https://postimg.cc/KK8PHTKX
    Seems a decent deal

unless you need it, i'd wait a couple of years for micro led, they are coming and offer the best of both worlds

We have just changed to a 49" Sony from a 43" but not sure what LED it is, main reason is the wifi/smart performance is way superior. The picture is not really noticeably better just the features. Probably heresy to say this but your viewing is only as good as your eyesight so it might be better to get eyes tested before buying a new goggle box lol.

The LG OLED is still a superior picture to Samsung QLED

I bought a Samsung 43" NU7300 a couple of years ago. The black's on it are excellent and the whole picture quality (and I'm very fussy) is top notch.
    If you've set the picture up correctly, I personally wouldn't bother with OLED/QLED. The technology needs to improve to reduce picture burn.
    (I've a good eye for picture quality after years of going on courses with Sony, B&O, Phillips)🤓.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    We have just changed to a 49" Sony from a 43" but not sure what LED it is, main reason is the wifi/smart performance is way superior.
    As a note for others reading this, if you are happy with the TV but not the smart interface a TV stick (I use a Nvidia Shield or fire stick 4k) is a much cheaper way to upgrade the experience.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    I’ve got a 65” Samsung QLED and it’s the best television I’ve ever owned

Tv change oled to a QLED

Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    As a note for others reading this, if you are happy with the TV but not the smart interface a TV stick (I use a Nvidia Shield or fire stick 4k) is a much cheaper way to upgrade the experience.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Absolutely - I have a 10 year old Samsung in my new ‘work office’ which originally had no smart features at all and was relegated to X box duties. At the start of lockdown I spent under £30 on a bog standard firestick, and I have to say the interface and speed is better than the ‘smart’ features on another 3 year old Samsung I have downstairs, so stuck a firestick in that too. I now have 4 Samsung TV’s in the house, all at least 50’’ and now I know the smart element can be upgraded/superseded so easily, I don’t intend to replace any until they go ‘pop’. The trouble with TV’s imho is you can buy a larger one, a few days later it seems ‘normal’ so you think you need an even larger one. The solution? Sit a bit closer to the screen!
    Last edited by RobDad; 20th November 2020 at 18:58.

Craftsman
    I was looking for a TV recently until I got caught and my quest ended!

I have a Panasonic plasma currently and was looking to move to OLED. However as it is in a very bright room with a large sunny aspect window I was recommended a QLED. I recommended a QLED to a mate in the same position and he was delighted with his QLED.

If anyone has any experience of QLED, I would like to hear of real world perspective.
    Last edited by Kiloman; 20th November 2020 at 12:58.

I bought into the OLED game with the early LG C6 and I could never go back to LED. A mate of mine has the Samsung QLED and although it's an excellent picture it just doesn't compare to the inky blacks on an OLED.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

We have a 55" Samsung QLED. Amazing picture. Screen went after a few months...weird kind of double vision. Screen replaced within a week.

Master

the screen burn is only visible some of the time depending on what I'm watching and it's a 'bit of an annoyance' rather than ruining the viewing experience (although some people would find it unwatchable) - but if I got the right deal on a non-OLED 65" TV I'd take it.

My Black Friday 2017 LG OLED has exactly the same (well BBC news graphics, in my case). It’s by far and away worst against a red background. Then it’s really bad. Also have a random Freeview letter “F” near the top of the screen. It’s shocking for a £1,500 TV and the broadcasters must know the risks.

Would QLED be immune form this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    My Black Friday 2017 LG OLED has exactly the same (well BBC news graphics, in my case). It’s by far and away worst against a red background. Then it’s really bad. Also have a random Freeview letter “F” near the top of the screen. It’s shocking for a £1,500 TV and the broadcasters must know the risks.

Would QLED be immune form this problem?
    Yes it would as it's still a LCD TV not an OLED, however the latest gen OLEDS are nearly immune from burn in too now, you'd really have to abuse it to damage it.

What about Philips ambilight tv’s ? Get good reviews
    Not sure about the light surrounding your tele though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Yes it would as it's still a LCD TV not an OLED, however the latest gen OLEDS are nearly immune from burn in too now, you'd really have to abuse it to damage it.
    Thanks. Disappointing for a 3 year old TV, to say that least.

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    I have one of those which I bought in an Argos sale a couple of years ago. I use it on a cabinet in the corner of the room and the ambilight thing is really good - I set it to reflect what’s on the screen and it’s not something that bothers me at all. Actually in a darkened room in the evening the effect great - not offputting or distracting as I feared, it’s quite a restful effect, in fact I do t know why it hasn’t caught on more

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post

Comes 3rd in WhatHiFi review here:

https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/best-4k-tvs-2020

Quote Originally Posted by Kiloman View Post
    I was looking for a TV recently until I got caught and my quest ended!

I have a Panasonic plasma currently and was looking to move to OLED. However as it is in a very bright room with a large sunny aspect window I was recommended a QLED. I recommended a QLED to a mate in the same position and he was delighted with his QLED.

If anyone has any experience of QLED, I would like to hear of real world perspective.
    I bought a Samsung Q90R earlier this year for exactly that reason. My room has 2 windows and is light in colour. I am very impressed at the lack of reflection on the screen on bright days even in dark scenes.

Picture quality is excellent once tweaked to my preference. I was all for OLED after having plasma for all my previous TV’s but couldn’t be happier with my purchase.

The one connect box is also an added bonus as it allows you to mount the TV very close to the wall (3mm gap) and only have 1 cable running from the TV.

Cheers

Ross

Master
    My LG B6 has horrific burn in after 3 years so I'll be changing to a QLED next unless the new OLED panels can withstand burn in, which I don't believe they can.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    My LG B6 has horrific burn in after 3 years so I'll be changing to a QLED next unless the new OLED panels can withstand burn in, which I don't believe they can.
    Common theme! Have exact same issue with my 3 yo TV (E7?).

Vanguard said

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Common theme! Have exact same issue with my 3 yo TV (E7?).

Vanguard said
    I have a B7 with the same problem. My son had streamed YouTube from his phone and left the menu screen on. I noticed the burn in about 5 months ago. Over the last month I have noticed that it is getting worse at an exponential rate!

I must be lucky or disciplined when it comes to on screen logos but I haven’t seen any burn in on my 4 year old B6. I have played a lot of PS4 on it so you might expect to see some.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve had a Q85R for about 18months and the picture is superb. Use 5.1 so cant comment on sound.

I was looking at the OLED options and think they have the outright better picture but I watch a lot of sport with channel logos and also play consoles so screen burn puts me off.

One great Samsung feature is the anti glare, my set faces a patio door and it seems to suck in light with hardly any reflection. The connect box is also really cool to declutter the cables.

I would advise you take the demos in curry’s with a pinch of salt, they set the units up so badly they all look utter pants on the display.

My rule of thumb would be...
    OLED ultimate pic but will burn in eventually
    QLED 90% pic but more robust for gaming

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Not on the current technology, the led itself starts to discolour when not lit so not much can be done apart from some models which turn the whole screen up to a max settin, effectively burning all the pixels to a new (albeit different) consistent level.

...the latest gen OLEDS are nearly immune from burn in too now, you'd really have to abuse it to damage it.
    I seem to remember being told the same thing 3 years ago when I was looking at the one I've got now.

I have an LG 55 C7 in my lounge and a Samsung QLED 55 90R in my garden room.
    The QLED is needed for its anti reflection given the expanse of glass. It works well for me.
    I have not noticed a burn in on the LG and its better for "moody movies" but would have been useless in the garden room.

Craftsman
    I upgraded my TVs last year and I ended up buying a 55" LG OLED and a 55" Panasonic OLED after doing a lot of research. My thoughts are:

- OLED Blacks and picture quality is significantly better than QLED
    - I have had zero OLED screen burn after 18 months use
    - the only downside of OLED compared to QLED is that OLED is more reflective and so you don't want the screen facing sunlight
    - I understand LG make all OLED screens, but I would take a good look at Panasonic OLEDs.
    - The motion processing is better with the Panasonic and watching movies/sport on the Panasonic is better/smoother

I’d go Sony personally over any Samsung from experience

As for Oled - schmomed I wouldn’t bother personally for the extra dough

If it’s just for size just buy a bigger Sony - bank the bucks - have it professionally mounted Andy with a sound bar if you need one - will look great in your gaff.

JL the place to buy imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I seem to remember being told the same thing 3 years ago when I was looking at the one I've got now.
    Ha me too. I bought it to replace my broken Panasonic plasma.

OLED is and has been the best standard for a long time. All the brands buy LG’s OLED panels, while Samsung go it alone.

If I could stomach the price I’d be buying an LG OLED for my next tv, but I’ll be settling for a cheaper, less good, Samsung.

Sony are well past their best imho and I won’t be buying another anytime soon.
    It's just a matter of time...

I have a 4 year old LG 55” OLED 4K jobby!

Amazing picture and no burn in but then again it isn’t on 10+ hours a day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk