closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch Winder Turns Per Day

Apprentice

Watch Winder Turns Per Day

I've got a Datejust 41 and the recommended watch winder turns per day are 650 bi-directional. Does this mean a total of 1300 turns per day (ie 650 in each direction) or is it 325 in each direction.

Around 300 biderictionally then will give you a total of 600 turns.

Craftsman
    I doubt it needs 1300 turns per day. 1300 turns is probably enough to fully wind it from a stopped condition.

Given that the watch probably has a power reserve of ~48 hours (to make the math easy...it's probably closer to 40 hours), 650 turns per day should be enough to keep it fully wound assuming it was fully wound (or nearly so) when you put it on the winder.

All that said, why not just let it run down when you aren't wearing it?

I agree, I wouldn't put a Datejust on a watch winder. I would only use one of those for watches with multiple complications, like a moonphase for example which can be a faff to reset if left to run down.

Just let it run down or use the power reserve and wear every couple of days etc.

Master
    I leave mine on the default 600. Seems to keep Rolex 3130/3135 and Seiko NH35/NH36 movements going.

Grand Master
    Unless the watch has a perpetual calendar I wouldn’t store it on a winder. Wear to the rotor bearing and associated parts will be maximised, is that really what you want? If the watch is in a fully wound state the inner walls of the spring barrel could also wear.

Not a good idea IMO, and definitely best avoided for a vintage/ older watch.

Putting a watch on a winder is like putting your dog on a treadmill. Don't do it! Unless it has a perpetual calendar, there is absolutely no logical or technical reason to do it.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

I started out keeping several watches on winders.

Over the years the winders have failed so I only have one now and I keep watches on it only if I know they are coming off the wrist for a day or two. Else I let them run down.

A perpetual calendar might be the exception, but only that and I don't own one.

As has been said, why subject a watch that's going to off your wrist for several weeks to the wear?
    I find now that the setting of a watch after I've not worn it for a bit part of the joy of reuniting myself with it.

High accuracy quartz solves the problem of a watch that is always pretty much right-time when you strap it to your wrist.

If you must use one, then the setting that just keeps the watch wound is the right one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodey View Post
    I've got a Datejust 41 and the recommended watch winder turns per day are 650 bi-directional. Does this mean a total of 1300 turns per day (ie 650 in each direction) or is it 325 in each direction.
    To answer your actual question......No, it doesn't mean 1300 turns
    Setting a/your winder to 650 bidirectionally will basically give it the required 650 turns per day, alternating between clockwise and anticlockwise as opposed to 650 all clockwise or all anticlockwise

Master

Interesting thread - I've just brought one of the wolf double winders as much to hold my pieces and other bits n pieces in as much as it is to keep them wound, however what would be the idyllic number of turns per day in the case for a milgauss, no date sub and a Monaco that get worn in rotation

is there a one size fits all for the less complex pieces?

Last edited by R0bertb00th; 23rd November 2020 at 15:27.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    Interesting thread - I've just brought one of the wolf double winders as much to hold my pieces and other bits n pieces in as much as it is to keep them wound, however what would be the idyllic number of turns per day in the case for a milgauss, no date sub and a Monaco that get worn in rotation

is there a one size fits all for the less complex pieces?
    Hi Robert,
    there are many sources of info online from Orbita, Wolf etc. Barrington have a database here
    650 bidirectional should be fine for both your Monaco and Milgauss

Master
    Many thanks for the response

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk