closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sturmanskie Navigator

Sturmanskie Navigator

33mm reissued
    Last edited by Velorum; 2nd January 2021 at 15:54.

I might just have to get one of these...

Quote "
    • Russian mechanical movement with manual winding (no battery needed)

Unquote"

Master
    That is rather nice. Are the numeral coated in old radium lume or is that just their normal colour?

Also is this the same watch? Description seems the same as does the dial but the case back is different: https://www.timeshop4you.co.uk/watch....htm?consent=1

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Thank you for the write-up, it is really rather compelling. Although I have an original I barely wear it as it forms part of a focussed Soviet Union space watch collection and it was bloody hard to come by in decent unadulterated condition. This is really close and something I'd feel comfortable wearing more regularly. I like that case back as well.

For reference:

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

But what is the residual value? How often do I have to fluff the AD? Is there a waiting list? How long is it?

Oh hang on, it's an honest to goodness watch! Phew.

They're fantastic. The "golden" one is super. Perhaps they're a little small for me Tovarishch, so I'll stick to my Vostoks. But still, they're lovely.
    Last edited by dkpw; 19th November 2020 at 23:41.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Those are really nice, interesting watches. Can I ask where you ordered them from?

I have been nice keeping keeping out for an original one of these for a while, as you say they are few and far between.
    The original size reissue might well be an option to scratch the itch.
    I really like it

The first one came from the dealer in the link posted. The second one came from Poljot24 - another German dealer.

Polgot24 has both and is super efficient- I hadn't realised that he was stocking the first or I would have ordered it from him.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Thanks.The link doesn’t seem to appear on Tapatalk - but I’ll check on the laptop when I’m home.

Years ago, I bought a lovely Strela from Poljot24 - Julian is great to deal with. Does he still pack some biscuits with the order?

Apprentice
    I have been on the fence of buying one over the last few months... I am not sure about the price; what do you guys think in terms of value for money on this one?

Thanks!
    Tom

£290 seems very reasonable indeed from Timeshop. They do seem to have the case back image from the 40mm auto though. €389.00 from Poljot24 works out at something like £345 which is an awful lot more for a packet of biccies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    £290 seems very reasonable indeed from Timeshop. They do seem to have the case back image from the 40mm auto though. €389.00 from Poljot24 works out at something like £345 which is an awful lot more for a packet of biccies.
    I keep going back to the Timeshop page and I'm trying to resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I keep going back to the Timeshop page and I'm trying to resist.
    I may have failed to resist. Postage is a fiver.

Apprentice
    Which is why I went for TimeshopUK (which is actually in Germany) though it brought back memories of when I ordered a Navigator from a Russian site a while back and had to claim my money back form PP as it was some kind of scam. This was fine though and its quite a saving.

Poljot are the only ones with any 40th anniversary ones I think.

Thank you for the information. I always considered buying it from Poljot24 "just because" but the increased price (PRS-25 territory) pulled me back quite a few times. I might buy it pretty soon from Timeshop. Afaik the 40th anniversary recreates more faithfully the handset of the actual watch worn by Gagarin but I find myself enjoying more the later version (earlier if historically speaking) with thicker hands.

How is the accuracy of the 2609 btw?

Apprentice
    I would guess at about -10s a day - will get a better idea over the next few weeks.

Interesting comment re the hands. The hands on the latest version look quite close to those of Mr C's original one to me.
    Now that I look at it again... I guess we are both correct. In terms of thickness, the later versions gets it right but it lacks the more slimmer and pointy end of the hands of the 40th anniversary edition. In fact, by checking some photos on a WUS thread, the one that gets it completely right is the 50th anniversary; what a pity they upsized the diameter and did not maintain the original 33mm.

I would guess at about -10s a day - will get a better idea over the next few weeks.

Interesting comment re the hands. The hands on the latest version look quite close to those of Mr C's original one to me.
    There is some conjecture that Gagarin wore a 17j version of the Sturmanskie watch issued to Soviet Air Force pilots, based on the production dates of movements and when he was an active pilot. This reissue is based on the early 50's 15j version of the watch. Sturmanskie seem to hedge their bets with different anniversary creations echoing features of both versions. This is the first one that I've seen that is a very close match for specifically one or the other.

The 17j Sturmanskie has kind of hybrid sword/syringe hands and a different crown. I have one somewhere, I'll try to take a photo tomorrow but it's not in as good condition as the 15j.
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 21st November 2020 at 01:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas_Meinhardt View Post
    Now that I look at it again... I guess we are both correct. In terms of thickness, the later versions gets it right but it lacks the more slimmer and pointy end of the hands of the 40th anniversary edition. In fact, by checking some photos on a WUS thread, the one that gets it completely right is the 50th anniversary; what a pity they upsized the diameter and did not maintain the original 33mm.
    This appears to be an almost exact reissue of the 15j version. When it arrives I'll try to do a photo comparison.

The 50th anniversary issue is closer to the 17j version, but the crown is incorrect and the case is very wrong.

The syringe hands on the 40th anniversary are not like the hands of either original watch.

I seem to recall seeing a picture of Gagarins actual watch in a museum - however, perhaps not - just done a Google search and can't find it.
    You remember correctly, although the site that hosted the image seems to have disappeared. The watch is supposedly on display in Star City and is a 17j version according to the commentary, however these things can get lost in translation. Some sites are hosting this image, stating it to be Gagarin's actual watch.

I'd like to see a bit more evidence, ideally by visiting the museum myself. I've also seen claims that Gagarin's watch on display in the Memorial Museum of Cosmonautics in Moscow is the watch he wore in orbit, which it most definitely is not.

Here's my original unrestored 17j Sturmanskie, to the right of the 15j version which has had blown lume cleaned up from the dial. It is a bit scruffy but I'm cool with that. The obvious differences are the crowns and handsets from the front. Flipping them over, the 17j has a slightly thicker case with a screw down back. The 15j has a plain snap on case back. The 17j movement is housed within an antimagnetic shroud which doesn't feature on the 15j. Gagarin joined the Soviet Air Force in November 1957 and could have been issued with either version, but the dates seem to favour the 17j.

Apprentice
    Here's my original unrestored 17j Sturmanskie, to the right of the 15j version which has had blown lume cleaned up from the dial. It is a bit scruffy but I'm cool with that. The obvious differences are the crowns and handsets from the front. Flipping them over, the 17j has a slightly thicker case with a screw down back. The 15j has a plain snap on case back. The 17j movement is housed within an antimagnetic shroud which doesn't feature on the 15j. Gagarin joined the Soviet Air Force in November 1957 and could have been issued with either version, but the dates seem to favour the 17j.

They are stunning. Thank you for the "educational" info, it helps a lot understanding later reissues and how close/far they are from the original ones. Maybe it is just a perception thing but the 17j looks a bit smaller?

Which one do you like the most? (despite the state of the watch). I think I am more into the 15j version. Patiently waiting for your reissue to arrive. Would be cool if you could compare them all.

Cheers!

There's alot to like with these, I especially like the first one. Small but perfectly formed, I'd happily wear one.

Nice to see something a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas_Meinhardt View Post
    They are stunning. Thank you for the "educational" info, it helps a lot understanding later reissues and how close/far they are from the original ones. Maybe it is just a perception thing but the 17j looks a bit smaller?

Which one do you like the most? (despite the state of the watch). I think I am more into the 15j version. Patiently waiting for your reissue to arrive. Would be cool if you could compare them all.

Cheers!
    They are both 33mm. I think that the angle of the shot and reflections in the domed crystal make it appear a tad smaller.

They both have their merits, I rather like the unusual handset of the 17j but the slightly slimmer case makes the 15j sit better on the wrist and I love that pillow crown.

I'm so weak…

I always thought the 40mm versions wouldn't look quite right, but 33mm is some distance the other way for me. It looks lovely though so I couldn't resist.

Aiiiii

Aiiiii

I've made the correct decision

Marvelous shot!

How do you find the strap?
    The strap as as bad as I expected, flimsy and looks like bonded leather. I'll have a rummage for a suitable 16mm in the box, I expect that it will end up on a Perlon.

A week on the wrist and it will look and feel absolutely fine!
    I'm sure. I'm looking forward to wearing something out of the comfort zone.

The strap as as bad as I expected, flimsy and looks like bonded leather. I'll have a rummage for a suitable 16mm in the box, I expect that it will end up on a Perlon.
    This will be another interesting experience for me. I have 100s of straps in 18mm, 19mm, 20mm, 21mm and 22mm, but precisely no 16mm. That's part of the fun though.

Looking forward to a shot of Johns on an Osiris
    Arrived today…

First thought was, "What have I done, it's tiny?" followed by "The strap's a bit thick and the colour is wrong."

One strap change later and a day on the wrist, and I'm thinking it's a little belter. I love the dial colour and detail.

Thanks to Ian for the Osiris - it sets the watch off perfectly

потрясающий

Looks good. In fact I never knew I needed one of these

In fact looking at the photos above I realised I hadn't swapped the Sturmanskie buckle over to the Hirsch.

All sorted now.

It's a perfect fit. Sometimes the tang can be too large or too flimsy, but no problem with this.

I can't believe how suited the Hirsch is to this watch. Thanks again Ian.

The Hirsch looks great, and the buckle really works well. Nicely played.

Regarding congruity with the 15j original, it's cosmetically really good. The reissue has a slightly less domed case back making it sit a little flusher on the wrist, and the crown knurling is a bit less pronounced. Internally, the movement doesn't hack like the 50's version issued to test pilots.

I'm loving this little thing …