closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lewis Hamilton tightens 3 year long legal battle against, erm, Hamilton.

Lewis Hamilton tightens 3 year long legal battle against, erm, Hamilton.

https://thesportsrush.com/f1-news-le...y-watchmakers/

An excellent driver, but he is a bit of a whopper isn't he?
    Last edited by jimmbob; 21st November 2020 at 15:21.

Master
    That must be some legal battle considering the costs involved

Though, in the end, Hamilton’s company 44IP had to pay £893 towards Hamilton International’s costs in the case.

Oh the irony. Shame. 😂

Craftsman
    Obvious outcome of a case that should not even have been allowed to proceed!

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Calling andyg.....calling andyg.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I dont blame him,I mean he must be on the bread line with his wages.

Master
    He should have gone for the trade mark "Cockwomble" would have won that one.

How did this ever become a legal case?

How they even thought that they could win that case is just ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by ywl23n View Post
    Obvious outcome of a case that should not even have been allowed to proceed!

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Just to be clear, this wasn't Lewis trying to stop Hamilton from using the name, it was Lewis Hamilton trying to get the right to use his own surname.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    An excellent driver, but he is a bit of a whopper isn't he?
    You've got it in one. He's clearly an incredibly talented guy but he also seems to be a complete and utter bell.

Has to be said my childhood's been tarnished: The Wombles are now forever ruined by the antics of a bell-end; great nickname though!

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Just to be clear, this wasn't Lewis trying to stop Hamilton from using the name, it was Lewis Hamilton trying to get the right to use his own surname.
    ... to potentially market smart watches.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    ... to potentially market smart watches.
    So what? Amongst other things. I don't think it's unreasonable for a man with a powerful brand to want to use his name to help sell his wares. But hey, let's not pass up an opportunity to throw the word cockwomble around. Has anyone said "lives in Monaco" yet?

His lawyers....."Mr Philippe & Mr Patek".....said "This is a travesty and we are considering an appeal"....

So what? Amongst other things. I don't think it's unreasonable for a man with a powerful brand to want to use his name to help sell his wares. But hey, let's not pass up an opportunity to throw the word cockwomble around. Has anyone said "lives in Monaco" yet?
    Calm down dear. There is a thing called intellectual property.
    He is free to market his name everywhere it doesn’t infringe on someone else’s IP.
    If my name is Mike Jaguar and I am a successful footballer, I can market my name for whatever I like but if I try to market cars or car accessories I may receive a ‘cease and desist’ pronto.
    Especially (if I read correctly, the link isn’t very precise) if he wanted the rights to “Hamilton” (rather than “Lewis Hamilton”)

In this case he was indeed a cockwomble because he was trying to deny its name to a 128 yo brand just because he happens to have the same surname.

Master
    The filing was from 44IP, not Mr. Lewis Hamilton himself. "He" wasn't doing anything. Perhaps he approved proceedings, but that won't have been for any other reason than some overpaid moron suggested it was a good idea. He didn't sit there thumbing through GQ one day thinking "hmm that isn't on". FFS he does attract a great deal of unwarranted crap.

Calm down dear. There is a thing called intellectual property.
    He is free to market his name everywhere it doesn’t infringe on someone else’s IP.
    If my name is Mike Jaguar and I am a successful footballer, I can market my name for whatever I like but if I try to market cars or car accessories I may receive a ‘cease and desist’ pronto.
    Especially (if I read correctly, the link isn’t very precise) if he wanted the rights to “Hamilton” (rather than “Lewis Hamilton”)

In this case he was indeed a cockwomble because he was trying to deny its name to a 128 yo brand just because he happens to have the same surname.
    I'm perfectly calm, I don't really care about the story apart the fact that no-one seems able to grasp that he wasn't trying to deny the name Hamilton to a 128 year old company. I'll never be able to understand the hatred people have towards LH, one of the greatest racers of all time, a fellow Brit and all-round good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    His lawyers....."Mr Philippe & Mr Patek".....said "This is a travesty and we are considering an appeal"....
    Weren't they his father's lawyers?

It’s far from the best written article. From what I can make out there were two issues. LH wanting to trademark ‘Hamilton’ for watches, which is ridiculous, and Hamilton watch co wanting to block LH from trademarking ‘Lewis Hamilton’ for watches, which is equally ridiculous.

Master
    I'm perfectly calm, I don't really care about the story apart the fact that no-one seems able to grasp that he wasn't trying to deny the name Hamilton to a 128 year old company. I'll never be able to understand the hatred people have towards LH, one of the greatest racers of all time, a fellow Brit and all-round good guy.
    In your opinion...other opinions are allowed.

Wiki says his middle names are Carl Davidson.

I always thought it was Field Watch.

No hatred from me at all, he is the greatest driver of the moment undeniably, probably has his heart in the right place although he is not a fellow Brit to me. You felt you had to intervene in a thread on watch talk about a court battle between a watchmaking company and a celebrity about the name of their brand. Again, the article isn't exactly detailed but I don't see why he would have thought he even had a case.

And I think that while "LH" would be completely acceptable for a watch brand, I don't think Lewis Hamilton would be. But this would have merit in court.
    To go back to my initial example, I am not sure that "Mike Jaguar" would make an acceptable car brand name, either (I believe there is an ex footballer called Matteo Ferrari, BTW. Fancy his chances for a car brand, or the fact that he isn't a "fellow Brit" enough to make his potential claim invalid?

And all round UK taxpayer extraordinaire i'm guessing, (cockwomble par excellence)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    How did this ever become a legal case?
    I've seen cases predicated on an awful lot less - in fact I've been on the wrong end of them.

How did it become a case? Some lawyers who get paid handsomely, win or lose, made it so.

I wonder if he will try to get the Isle of Lewis to change its name next?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    The filing was from 44IP, not Mr. Lewis Hamilton himself. "He" wasn't doing anything. Perhaps he approved proceedings, but that won't have been for any other reason than some overpaid moron suggested it was a good idea. He didn't sit there thumbing through GQ one day thinking "hmm that isn't on". FFS he does attract a great deal of unwarranted crap.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    I wonder if he will try to get the Isle of Lewis to change its name next?
    Only if it sells £16.5m Bombardier aeroplanes.

Whopper ? haven’t heard that for ages. Fully accurate though IMO

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

No, you must see the difference between, say, selling fashion clothing and selling something that an already very well established make produce under the same name.

They shouldn't have even tried and rightly lost.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 19th November 2020 at 19:43.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget View Post
    And all round UK taxpayer extraordinaire i'm guessing, (cockwomble par excellence)
    One of the top 5000 in the UK, according to HMRC.

You have, well done.

No hatred from me at all, he is the greatest driver of the moment undeniably, probably has his heart in the right place although he is not a fellow Brit to me. You felt you had to intervene in a thread on watch talk about a court battle between a watchmaking company and a celebrity about the name of their brand. Again, the article isn't exactly detailed but I don't see why he would have thought he even had a case.

And I think that while "LH" would be completely acceptable for a watch brand, I don't think Lewis Hamilton would be. But this would have merit in court.
    To go back to my initial example, I am not sure that "Mike Jaguar" would make an acceptable car brand name, either (I believe there is an ex footballer called Matteo Ferrari, BTW. Fancy his chances for a car brand, or the fact that he isn't a "fellow Brit" enough to make his potential claim invalid?
    Intervene? Did you mean to type "join in the discussion about the merits or otherwise of this court case"?

For what it's worth, I, like pretty much everyone else, think this case didn't have a chance. Let's think about this a little more though: did Lewis Hamilton really try to corner the name for himself? No, he didn't, he doesn't micromanage every little decision in the company. Lewis Hamilton did not bring this case, a company called 44IP did. Some clown in a shiny suit tried his luck in an attempt to make a name for himself and it didn't come off. 44IP was also ordered to pay costs to Hamilton. What were the costs? £893. Eight hundred and ninety three quid... far from being a "three year legal battle", it was an hour one November morning. No big deal.
    Last edited by Papa Hotel; 19th November 2020 at 19:35.

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Agreed
    +1

Just more "justification" to knock him, IMO.

Very loose.

Master
    Nice to hear. Perhaps the commercial activity described in the article explains his participation in divisive race politics this year; just trying to raise his profile to sell more of his tat.

He didn't sit there thumbing through GQ
    Oo-er, Matron!

What an idiot, I think I’ll change my name to Lewis Hamilton and go motor racing again.............second thoughts

Oh good, another hate fest from some. .

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    This is nothing. The Daily Mail have picked up on it now and their story link already has the masses foaming at the mouth on Facebook. Over 2.5k comments in an hour. I’ll save you the trouble of reading them all, to summarise, “Lewis Hamilton is a racist who should go back to where he came from,” “I used to watch F1 but stopped when this racist started preaching equality,” and my particular favourite “this prick is more entitled than Markle.”

A couple of people that claim to be in the know are making more of the point about Hamilton watches trying to stop Lewis Hamilton from putting the name “Lewis Hamilton” on watches as the reason that the case started. They have, of course, been shouted down. I think this will end up being a win for Lewis. This judgement, as part of the larger dispute, states that Lewis can’t claim “Hamilton” on its own as it is already in use for that purpose and is a common surname, unlike “Lewis Hamilton.” This surely makes it very difficult for the court to then support Hamilton watches and order that Lewis cannot use the branding “Lewis Hamilton,” which is what his company actually wants.

A cynical move, whoever was behind it. I always recall the bait-and-switch of this piece on Lewis Hamilton: https://jackbaruth.com/?p=3080

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

Welcome to today’s TZ. Shame that there are so many bitter, twisted and negative postings.

I would imagine he will be inconsolable when one of his sycophants tells him that the London stage stage Hamilton is not about him...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I wonder what Rex Hamilton would think!?

Apprentice

Lewis Hamilton looses 3 year long legal battle against, erm, Hamilton.

A great driver obviously but he is losing a lot of respect because of his off track antics . T#*t, as a description of him seems very fitting nowadays.

Last edited by EssexSteve60; 21st November 2020 at 04:58.

...snip...
    I worked with a company who had come up with an idea for clearing our dog crap infested streets. They had decided to mount a generator and a Numatic pressure and extraction machine (carpet cleaner) to a quad bike. The operator would ride the bike along pavements, stop and point the carpet cleaner "wand" at the steaming pile of excrement, squirt it with disinfectant, then the vacuum part would suck up the turd. They decided that it should be called the Ride On Vehicle Excrement Remover. A more snappy name would be memorable, so they settled on the initial letter of each word. They must have duly advertised the machine in the poo sucking press, as they were allegedly soon called on by a certain car company's legal arm, along with a letter asking them to cease and desist using the name.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    What an idiot
    Hamilton watch brand want exclusivity over the name, meaning Lewis couldn’t do something like the collab with Tag Heuer and Senna without breaching copyright. They’ve managed the past 187 years without this new filing but now and because of Lewis’ success they want exclusive rights, his lawyers thought that was worth appealing. He agreed.

Sounds fairly reasonable really, as there has been various watch brand and driver collaborations in the past.

Paris had motorcycles equipped with such a device

With a play on ‘motocross’, they were soon nicknamed ’motocrottes’ (mototurds).

"The hearing was told 44IP, named after the Mercedes driver's race number, are attempting to trademark the name 'Lewis Hamilton' for a number of goods including watches, smartwatches and jewellery and Hamilton International are opposing the move."

ISTM that the trademark 'LEWIS HAMILTON' covers a great deal of goods and services categories but not
    watches, smartwatches and jewellery, so the TM company are looking to add those items in.

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 20th November 2020 at 09:07.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by EssexSteve60 View Post
    A great driver obviously but he is losing a lot of respect because of his antics . Twat, as a description of him seems very fitting nowadays.

His “antics” - which antics would these be exactly?

But I wonder the reaction if Hamilton International, launched a range of watches called “Lewis” (without getting them endorsed by Lewis Hamilton), to go along side the Ventura, Jazzmaster and Khaki.

I most say this whole thing seems rather odd, especially given LH is already sponsored by IWC, (who already has a range called the “Lewis Hamilton”), the amount of the award (which equates to about 1 Hour of a solicitors time), etc.

Hopefully Norris Nutts and Lando Norris wont make the same mistakes

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche