closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Coffee beans

Journeyman

Coffee beans

Need some coffee beans for a cocktail recipe i am going to make. Working on the Keith Floyd principle of “shit in, shit out” i wanted to get some fairly decent ones. Any supermarket ones that can be recommended?

not sure it really matters for a cocktail, but if you want quality then it not so much about the beans as the freshness of the roast and that means that all supermarket beans suffer as they are inherently not fresh.

If you do indeed want quality and do not have a local roaster then i suggest mail order.

I thoroughly recommend : https://ravecoffee.co.uk/collections...=3149907329050

Master
    Care to share the recipe? It's not purely for a garnish I assume?

As chime has said, freshness trumps everything else - the 6 month use by dates of supermarket beans is laughable. But all the coffee cocktail recipes I know just lean on kahlua for flavouring.

There is a specific coffee thread on here,

But a couple of people recommended https://pebbleandpine.co.uk/

and I ordered up a 5 x 200g selection.

They are excellent, and are fresh roasted. Once I've used up all my Costco stock - I'm straight back to Pebble and Pine.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    Care to share the recipe? It's not purely for a garnish I assume?

As chime has said, freshness trumps everything else - the 6 month use by dates of supermarket beans is laughable. But all the coffee cocktail recipes I know just lean on kahlua for flavouring.
    will do when i get home. I recall that vodka and coffee beans left overnight to 'get to know each other' is the the start of the process

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thejoker View Post
    will do when i get home. I recall that vodka and coffee beans left overnight to 'get to know each other' is the the start of the process
    Sounds interesting!!

I wouldn't worry too much if you're not even going to be grinding them, I'm guessing the level of flavour imparted will be minimal. Just go to the supermarket and buy any whole bean that doesn't have a Starbucks logo on it.

My preferred roaster for coffee to make coffee is https://www.beanberrycoffee.com/

Journeyman
    just got the recipe off the wife. Looks like my nespresso might dominate the taste tho. however, here it is as requested:

15ml pedro ximenezsherry
    1tsp sugar syrup
    30ml hot espresso (have to use my nespresso for that)
    5-6 ice cubes

10g coffee beans plus 3 to garnish
    40ml vodka

1. pour vodka over coffee - leave overnight
    2. pour 30ml of the above mixture into cocktail shaker. add sherry and sugar syrup.
    3. add ice. shake well until shaker feels cold and there is a foam on top
    4. double strain the cosktail into chilled martini glass. garnish with coffee beans if req.

the OH wants to make this to cheer eldest daughter up and for tomorrow night, which leaves little time for me to get decent beans. so half decent from super market will have to do for this time

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    Sounds interesting!!

I wouldn't worry too much if you're not even going to be grinding them, I'm guessing the level of flavour imparted will be minimal. Just go to the supermarket and buy any whole bean that doesn't have a Starbucks logo on it.

My preferred roaster for coffee to make coffee is https://www.beanberrycoffee.com/
    thanks mate. i think you are right
    Last edited by Thejoker; 19th November 2020 at 16:54.

see also Espresso Martini

15ml pedro ximenezsherry
    1tsp sugar syrup

That'll be pretty dang sweet too - I wouldn't worry about it being overpowered by the 30ml of coffee.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    15ml pedro ximenezsherry
    1tsp sugar syrup

That'll be pretty dang sweet too - I wouldn't worry about it being overpowered by the 30ml of coffee.
    yeah. i think we may drop the sugar syrup. All new to me. doing it for the stir crazy teenagers really, but shall help myself to one regardless

Journeyman
    Highly recommend http://www.colonnaandsmalls.co.uk/. Great shop and great beans.

Just buy a bottle of MrBlack coffee liqueur and save all the faff. It’s the best one out there, not overly sweet and real arabica coffee not coffee flavouring. Great for cocktails.

yeah. i think we may drop the sugar syrup. All new to me. doing it for the stir crazy teenagers really, but shall help myself to one regardless
    A good move. You can always add it, but can't take it away!

Apprentice
    just got the recipe off the wife. Looks like my nespresso might dominate the taste tho. however, here it is as requested:

15ml pedro ximenezsherry
    1tsp sugar syrup
    30ml hot espresso (have to use my nespresso for that)
    5-6 ice cubes

10g coffee beans plus 3 to garnish
    40ml vodka

1. pour vodka over coffee - leave overnight
    2. pour 30ml of the above mixture into cocktail shaker. add sherry and sugar syrup.
    3. add ice. shake well until shaker feels cold and there is a foam on top
    4. double strain the cosktail into chilled martini glass. garnish with coffee beans if req.

the OH wants to make this to cheer eldest daughter up and for tomorrow night, which leaves little time for me to get decent beans. so half decent from super market will have to do for this time

- - - Updated - - -

thanks mate. i think you are right

Will try this one out today! Sounds like a nica coffee it`s going to be

Blog Entries
    Sorry for the bump on a coffee bean thread…

I posted a 25% off link around 2 years ago for a brand I use…. Pebble and Pine…

Anyway, remarkably lots of people hit the link and brought / enjoyed the coffee with 25% off

2 years (odd) down the line and I’ve run out of 25% off referral bonuses… agh!!!

As this is a blatant self interest post, if I get a hit (or two) I’ll put a fiver into the fundraiser (in fact I shall do that regardless

Here’s the link…. The Brazil Impanema one seems to be my go to

https://i.refs.cc/uv7GTvcN?smile_ref...o0NzAxMDczNDR9

Cheers
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Anyway, remarkably lots of people hit the link and brought / enjoyed the coffee with 25% off

2 years (odd) down the line and I’ve run out of 25% off referral bonuses… agh!!!

As this is a blatant self interest post, if I get a hit (or two) I’ll put a fiver into the fundraiser (in fact I shall do that regardless

Cheers
    Ben
    Many thanks for that link Ben, just when my supplies are running low! Brazilian Head to Head just ordered. However their prices are very good without any discount.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Many thanks for that link Ben, just when my supplies are running low! Brazilian Head to Head just ordered. However their prices are very good without any discount.
    Superb…. Thanks Bob…. A healthy saving off a £116 order for me! And a nice saving for you too!

I opted for the bead to head to head as well…. I haven’t tried the second one before, but the impanema is my ‘go to’

Had a crack at the Mexican one as it seemed to get good reviews …

Master
    How do you get through so much? I typically only buy 1 or 2 bags at a time to keep it fresh before getting some more; with a bag lasting a couple of weeks normally. I see their bags are 200g rather than the normal 250g so they are not quite as cheap as first seems not withstanding the discount.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    How do you get through so much? I typically only buy 1 or 2 bags at a time to keep it fresh before getting some more; with a bag lasting a couple of weeks normally. I see their bags are 200g rather than the normal 250g so they are not quite as cheap as first seems not withstanding the discount.
    I buy the 1kg bags…. Typically around £23 with the 25% off…. This time I went for 5kg as I fancied trying something new!

I tend to order 4kg at a time and keep them in our relatively cool pantry in their vacuum bags…

We drink a reasonable amount… 25 to 30 cups a week…. More if we have visitors…. Lots of people in our home like coffee…. I have one or two a day typically

Everywhere else I’ve looked tend to be significantly more expensive than this place even before discount…. It’s more than double if I buy the fresh stuff from my local corner shop…

I recommend you try lovecoffee.co.uk
    I'm bound to, Martin the owner is my brother in law and his wife, my sister, does most of the company admin.
    It is a proper family owned company motivated by good coffee.
    I use their Versante for all my Espresso and Aeropress coffees. Organic, Fairtrade and delicious.

Postie called earlier, I like it when Postie calls . . .

Lovely looking beans, ground some Ipanema and it tastes beautiful!
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Postie called earlier, I like it when Postie calls . . .

Lovely looking beans, ground some Ipanema and it tastes beautiful!
    Ah…. Result!!!

Enjoy

Craftsman

I normally buy my coffee from Rave but I have run out and being disorganised I've had to resort to Lavazza (!) for my stove top.

Cheers
    Ben
    I normally buy my coffee from Rave but I have run out and, being disorganised, I've had to resort to Lavazza (!) for my stove top.

I thought I'd give your link a go and have just ordered some Ipanema with a good discount and free delivery.

Thank for the link!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    I normally buy my coffee from Rave but I have run out and, being disorganised, I've had to resort to Lavazza (!) for my stove top.

I thought I'd give your link a go and have just ordered some Ipanema with a good discount and free delivery.

Thank for the link!
    Nice one ☝️

Enjoy!

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post

Thank for the link!
    Me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone knows where I can get my hands on some Red Pacamara, Finca Limoncello, I’d very much appreciate it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the referral uses! That should sort me out for discounted coffee for another year!!!

One of those was me; thanks back at you. I’ve been lazy on the coffee front of late (pre ground stuff from the supermarket) so this was the incentive I needed to get some decent beans and grind my own etc.

Jack

Thanks for all the referral uses! That should sort me out for discounted coffee for another year!!!

Pebble & Pine Referral Link

All,

Here's a 25% off coupon for your first order at Pebble & Pine Coffee. To accept, use my referral link:

https://i.refs.cc/MHcWpJ14?smile_ref...E4MzY0fQ%3D%3D

I can recommend Pebble & Pine.............

Good beans.

Hello

Yep, cracking stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I can recommend Pebble & Pine.............

Good beans.
    I agree. Lovely stuff

These folk support the Ellen MacArthur Cancer Trust which is an amazing charity, and their coffee isn't too shabby either. What's not to like?

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have been using English Bay from Bean Bear, great Coffee beans and freshly roasted the day before shipping.

Master
    What’s peoples views on decaf? I’m particularly interested in half-caf but I’m generally not a fan of decaf as the process to remove the caffeine isn’t great for the beans. Also, is anyone aware of naturally low caffeine beans?

Never tried them but search for Aramosa beans - a cross bred to have a lower caffeine content.

Coffee beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    What’s peoples views on decaf? I’m particularly interested in half-caf but I’m generally not a fan of decaf as the process to remove the caffeine isn’t great for the beans. Also, is anyone aware of naturally low caffeine beans?
    The Barn, a Berlin based roaster, usually have a couple of naturally low caffeine beans. They were my favourite roaster when living in Berlin but they also deliver to the UK and I have been able to get my favourite low caff beans, not the cheapest but great quality and tasty.

https://thebarn.de/products/daterra-reserve

Thanks to Wolfie for the Pebble & Pine referral link. I fancied a change from my usual supplier and decided to give the Ipanema a go.

I don't know if there's a limit on the number of times the referral links can be used, but in case there is, contact me for mine.
    Last edited by DMC102; 22nd February 2024 at 19:27. Reason: Link removed

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    Thanks to Wolfie for the Pebble & Pine referral link. I fancied a change from my usual supplier and decided to give the Ipanema a go.

I don't know if there's a limit on the number of times the referral links can be used, but in case there is, here's mine.
    I had about 15 referrals on mine and they’re nearly gone!!!

I see everyone’s getting involved in punting out the referrals now!

Never mind, I had a good run!!!

I had about 15 referrals on mine and they’re nearly gone!!!

I see everyone’s getting involved in punting out the referrals now!

Never mind, I had a good run!!!
    Sorry - was just trying to be helpful in case yours was no longer useable! I've removed my link from my post but you'll need to take it out of your quote
    Last edited by DMC102; 22nd February 2024 at 19:29.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    Sorry - was just trying to be helpful in case yours was no longer useable! I've removed my link from my post but you'll need to take it out of your quote
    Oh my word…. I want to be really clear…. My post was completely in jest!!! Please please put your code back in!

Hehe no worries - all good.