closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Double Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    I only eat there when I’m lucky enough to find discount codes on used receipts in the bin. Anyone else?

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Thanks for the heads-up, I will go there after picking up my kid and have one. Will tell you my thoughts as well as follow up with how my stomach reacts and reacted

When I was younger I certainly didn't mind the odd Big Mac, or two... when I was a student McDonalds did their Trivia Pursuit scratchcard promotions, and if you were canny with these - which we were - you could essentially eat free for weeks.

However, as I have got older, I have really gone off McD's in pretty much any form. Personally I much prefer Burger King if I have to grab a quick bite of that type when out and about. My kids though, like I suspect most kids, will always want a McDonalds over a BK. Subway would always be my fast-food outlet of choice over any of them though.

Not quite sure why, other than I think McD's perhaps have a sweeter taste (that I find sickly) that appeals to younger people more?

Oh, and a double Bic Mac actually makes me feel a bit queasy - way too much meat.
    Last edited by TheFlyingBanana; 20th November 2020 at 10:49.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Craftsman
    Always snobbery about McDonald’s until it’s the only option.. you’d eat it instead of going hungry I’m sure.

I have one every so often, tastes great at the time then makes me feel so sluggish after, probably because of how much I order.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    Always snobbery about McDonald’s until it’s the only option.. you’d eat it instead of going hungry I’m sure.

I have one every so often, tastes great at the time then makes me feel so sluggish after, probably because of how much I order.

I don't think it is snobbery per se, just a question of personal taste.

I find most McDonalds stuff a bit too sickly, but to be fair I don't mind an breakfast wrap occasionally.

But yes, if I was really hungry and there was no other option, of course I'd eat one. Fortunately there usually are other options (unless the kids are in the car...).

I have to admit I love McDonalds and will occasionally have a Big Mac, Cheeseburger and large fries for a rather naughty dinner. McFlurrys are also bloody lovely but I'm not allowed to eat them any more so try to avoid.

Having said that, anyone who knows their fast food will also know that the Whopper knocks all other burgers out of the park. I just don't seem to see Burger King very often (if at all) any more. More's the pity as there used to be one a few minutes walk from my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
    That looks awful .... I'd take a Big Mac over that every time.
    +1

Nothing wrong with the occasional McDonalds burger.
    Too many fussy eaters and food snobs.
    When I was brought up, I didn't always like the food served.
    But you ate what was on the plate...or went hungry.

But back to McDonalds....they do the best value freshly ground coffee in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    +1

But back to McDonalds....they do the best value freshly ground coffee in the UK.
    I don't understand your post: you start by "plussing" a post that decries a home made burger, then lecture the crowds about fussy eaters.

It's junk food. End of.
    It doesn't mean it tastes bad, as it is designed to get you addicted. One of the reasons kids like it so much.

So if you indulge from time to time, that's fine. If it's a staple of your diet, it may not be so fine down the road but it's your life and you eat what you want. In terms of hygiene it probably beats every single kebab shop in the country.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I worked at McD’s twenty years ago and the double Big Mac and other creations were the highlight of the job for me ( BigMac with 1/4’s, chicken patties instead of beef etc...). They are a great business to work for with great training and flexible working. They even gave me a grant for uni!

I will try one but I will say I have gone off them in the last years. Not so much the taste but it never seems to be hot anymore. It appears to have started since they started making everything to order and not holding burgers in the “production bin”.

Ross

+1

Agree (about burgers), taste fine and okay occasionally. Never given me the shits either, people here must have sensitive guts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigstam View Post
    Not so much the taste but it never seems to be hot anymore. It appears to have started since they started making everything to order and not holding burgers in the “production bin”.

Ross
    Oh god a thousand times this - I don't go in for much except the standard cheeseburgers/double and I really miss the fact that I could go in and they'd have one sat ready to go that was warm all the way through and actually had 'melted' cheese instead of biting into a cold bun with cold cheese and lukewarm patty :(

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I have to admit I love McDonalds and will occasionally have a Big Mac, Cheeseburger and large fries for a rather naughty dinner. McFlurrys are also bloody lovely but I'm not allowed to eat them any more so try to avoid.

Having said that, anyone who knows their fast food will also know that the Whopper knocks all other burgers out of the park. I just don't seem to see Burger King very often (if at all) any more. More's the pity as there used to be one a few minutes walk from my house.

I agree, although I did nearly put myself off them some years ago when they had some sort of giveaway promotion, buy one get one free or something similar, I ate two double whoppers in one go, man I felt that one.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Love a Donald's once in a while but the zinger tower burger is the best fast food burger you can get without spending silly money on five guys. I used to love the sausage and egg McMuffin back when I ate pork, that's probably the best thing on the entire McDonald's menu. That and the Ham and Greve baguette from Pret are the only things I miss.

I must give a shout out to the Burger King "Big King" which is their take on the Big Mac and immeasurably superior.

I concur with Wiley, the best thing on the Macdonalds menu is surely the Sausage & Egg McMuffin. If they sold that all day, they'd sell nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I must give a shout out to the Burger King "Big King" which is their take on the Big Mac and immeasurably superior.

I concur with Wiley, the best thing on the Macdonalds menu is surely the Sausage & Egg McMuffin. If they sold that all day, they'd sell nothing else.
    I do like a sausage & egg, bacon is good too. The double sausage and egg is where it's at though. Never understood why when they do double sausage & double bacon, why you cant get a sausage, bacon & egg, that would be ace

I’m quite partial to the occasional Big Mac and I’m another one who spent a year or two working there in my youth. But I do have a major problem with the company at the moment. We’re all told that obesity is a major risk factor for covid and yet McDonalds were somehow allowed to participate in the Eat Out to Help Out scheme. Fine, maybe they couldn’t or shouldn’t be stopped, but round my way people were queuing round the block and McDonalds were packing them in like sardines, and McDonalds decided that then would be the ideal time to introduce double and triple burgers. Seems crazy and incredibly irresponsible to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    I’m quite partial to the occasional Big Mac and I’m another one who spent a year or two working there in my youth. But I do have a major problem with the company at the moment. We’re all told that obesity is a major risk factor for covid and yet McDonalds were somehow allowed to participate in the Eat Out to Help Out scheme. Fine, maybe they couldn’t or shouldn’t be stopped, but round my way people were queuing round the block and McDonalds were packing them in like sardines, and McDonalds decided that then would be the ideal time to introduce double and triple burgers. Seems crazy and incredibly irresponsible to me.
    People are always complaining about the nanny state, so surely customers should be given the choice of what they order, as opposed to a company limiting what they sell?

Should Tesco not sell multipacks of Krispy Kreme doughnuts too, where does it stop?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    People are always complaining about the nanny state, so surely customers should be given the choice of what they order, as opposed to a company limiting what they sell?

Should Tesco not sell multipacks of Krispy Kreme doughnuts too, where does it stop?
    Of course. Likewise, distributors with mars bars and crisps should be mandatory in schools.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    I do like Big Mac's but felt slightly queasy when I saw a poster advertising the double BM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    why you cant get a sausage, bacon & egg, that would be ace
    Good news, you can configure this via the app or the self service points or by asking at tills. Been doing this for breakfast since they introduced the customisation options.

In terms of fast food burgers, nothing comes within even the same universe as a Five Guys all the way...

But granted, it is at a different price point.

Anyone else a fan?

It's like burger heaven, and then a ladder up to the next level above heaven.

Is it any wonder why the UK is the most obese country in Europe and our virus death toll is so high when people are chucking this cheap and nasty shite down their throats.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    In terms of fast food burgers, nothing comes within even the same universe as a Five Guys all the way...

Anyone else a fan?

I should like them as they tick the box, something about the extra load of fries in the bag just makes me cringe.

Triple whopper for the win, used to have a lovely evening after visiting the Basel office, drinks at ale Tran Bleu and a cheeky burger after closing.

I do own one of these, and they are great for the craving for a muffin breakfast. Tesco sell frozen patties, waitrose muffins fit the best.

I paid about 1/3 of this though & also got one for my friend. Remove, wrap in foil for about 5 mins and they are tremendous!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sandwich-Br...fin+mac&sr=8-2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else a fan?

It's good as a novelty but don't think it's worth the price over here. Burgers tend to be squashed and sweaty in tin foil but the cajun fries are tasty and plentiful.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Is it any wonder why the UK is the most obese country in Europe and our virus death toll is so high when people are chucking this cheap and nasty shite down their throats.
    What a ponce.

Had to pop to the shop for some stuff, spied the golden arches, having missed lunch and spurred on by this thread, went for it.
    Ordered the double, payed for the double, got home and what did I have? A normal one in a double box. Bloomin fuming.
    Sent a strongly worded text message to the on shift customer experience woman, who happens to be my wife. Unacceptable, means I'll have to go again some time
    Last edited by Brighty; 20th November 2020 at 15:56.

What a ponce.
    I love your pithy and usually accurate remarks mate.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

I certainly don't mind a McD or Burger King over here although when I am in the USA I prefer Steak 'n' Shake or somewhere that does a huge Philly cheese steak.

Makes McDonald's seem like health food!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Had to pop to the shop for some stuff, spied the golden arches, having missed lunch and spurred on by this thread, went for it.
    Ordered the double, payed for the double, got home and what did I have? A normal one in a double box. Bloomin fuming.
    Sent a strongly worded text message to the on shift customer experience woman, who happens to be my wife. Unacceptable, means I'll have to go again some time
    My local drive through is so bad at getting the order right I have to go through the bags at the window to check the order, 6 out of 10 times it’s wrong.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I love the coffee, nice and bitter, cheaper than chips, and the on-cup loyalty card is excellent too.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    My local drive through is so bad at getting the order right I have to go through the bags at the window to check the order, 6 out of 10 times it’s wrong.
    Make sure you complain, there's a big company wide drive at the moment to improve accuracy.

I think the next step is you need to make a formal complaint about her to Head Office, surely?

I think the next step is you need to make a formal complaint about her to Head Office, surely?

Don't worry, it's noted :-p

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Anyone tried one, I wonder?

https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/p...e-big-mac.html

I had one of the double Quarter Pounders earlier this year and I was sweating for about an hour afterwards.

This looks impossible to eat without a saw or a snake-like jaw.
    True story from a few years ago!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23770249

I just might. The wife told her boss and apparently she said "bless him"
    I've demanded a voucher for a free one, and a mcflurry.

Just smashed two Double Big Macs with fries for my tea & now wish I'd bought a couple of apple pies to wash it down....delicious !

I like McDonald's coffee which I think it's nice at its price point. I like the apple pies also.

I try to reduce the guilt factor by ordering a burger without mayo or Mac sauce. I could not have a double big Mac.

Reading Pistonheads the other day, I did not realise that gherkins are in fact cucumbers. How did I miss this nugget of information.

Just had one, very meaty. Not bad at all.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    In and out burger in Vegas is the best McDonald’s style meal I’ve ever had.

Did the job (light lunch). Hated Vegas but that was a high point.

Had the jerk chicken tonight - pretty good

What a ponce.
    That judgement doesn’t carry any weight from a man who appears to defend McDonalds fatty tasteless food. :D

Master
    I have not tried this but have thrived the double qtr pounder with salad ans highly enjoyed fit for what it is a cheap meal, felt lazy as anything afterwards but that’s because I ordered to much food.

I do enjoy a breadstick wrap occasion and will have to try the double Mac on my travels.

I can also state that the celebrations McFlurry is a triumph.

Master
    No one has mentioned Chicken Selects with Smokey BBQ sauce. They are worth the trip, but I also quite like the double quarter pounder. Big Macs are normally too much bread compared to burger, so with some extra burgers, they might be ok

The double Big Mac will be getting its review today - I hear it has its own box for the additional height.
    This is a nice touch from the AD and I’m told although there is a wait, it’s normally only approx ten mins rather than 2 years plus fir the “oh I own this so must be a better person than you” equivalent to offering elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    And now I see they are doing something that you can pour gravy on , out of a plastic container which in the next media breath they will say they are reducing the waste in the company ??
    That’s KFC, McDonald’s don’t do gravy

Master
    I think someone on this thread mentioned McRibs and this appears

Master
    Cheeky double for lunch today. Good messy Big Mac, how I remember them as a child falling apart as you try to eat it. Nicely meaty, and uniquely it was hot vs war, which is often a complaint I have.

Buggers didn’t give me my orange juice though, assumed it was in the bag, or perhaps they might have told me to wait for my drink.

Hate OJ with burgers, but cup holders are too small in the car to hold anything higher than a can. Still miffed about not getting a drink tho!

Whoever mentioned ordering a BM with quarter pounder burgers, I am going to have to order that when the double stops being on the menu, although hope it stays.

Craftsman
    The coffee is ok for what it is. I don't go to McDonalds much, although did a drive through the other night.
    I had a cheeseburger, and a coffee, that's all. Ah, the humble cheeseburger. It reminds me of when McDonalds first appeared here, and that's what you had. Before the bigger burgers. It still brings a smile to the face and reminds me of the past, when as a little 'un it was a special treat.

Somewhat different today I suppose, at our local one in the town centre there is a group of a dozen or more food delivery mopeds/scooters more or less permanently outside. I couldn't imagine ordering McDonalds delivery, that shows what an old fart I am eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Somewhat different today I suppose, at our local one in the town centre there is a group of a dozen or more food delivery mopeds/scooters more or less permanently outside. I couldn't imagine ordering McDonalds delivery, that shows what an old fart I am eh.
    Neither can I. The food is barely warm on the premises.