closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Has anyone tried to register for self assessment recently, is the site broken?

Has anyone tried to register for self assessment recently, is the site broken?

My wife will need to do a tax return this year, she has gone on the HMRC site to register but found it impossible, she has clicked the correct link to do a self assessment as an employee, yet all it does is take you to another page with a link to do a self assessment as an employee, when you click on that link it takes you back to the first page.

I thought she must be doing it wrong so I tried it, it did then same, it just did the same thing to my FD.

Are HMRC making things as difficult as possible, so they can dish out fines when you make a mistake?

I think the answer is to register on the government gateway first then maybe it will work, if so it really is rubbish

You'll need a Government Gateway account first, that way all of your tax affairs are held on your account. It's a much better solution than allowing random people to complete tax returns willy-nilly.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    My wife will need to do a tax return this year, she has gone on the HMRC site to register but found it impossible, she has clicked the correct link to do a self assessment as an employee, yet all it does is take you to another page with a link to do a self assessment as an employee, when you click on that link it takes you back to the first page.

I thought she must be doing it wrong so I tried it, it did then same, it just did the same thing to my FD.

Are HMRC making things as difficult as possible, so they can dish out fines when you make a mistake?

I think the answer is to register on the government gateway first then maybe it will work, if so it really is rubbish

Master
    You have to start the whole process early as setting up and account and being able to see your form can take over a month if password/ credential resets are required.

If you have cause to speak to HMRC ask them to put a note on your file that you’ve spoken and tried to commence the process.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    You'll need a Government Gateway account first, that way all of your tax affairs are held on your account. It's a much better solution than allowing random people to complete tax returns willy-nilly.
    But that seems broken as well, maybe we are missing something, unfortunately because of cookies etc mine works, the problem is with new registrations

When you say this year, do you mean you need to do one for 2019/20? If so, you may struggle to get it all set up and submitted before the Jan deadline. The deadline for paper returns for 2019/20 has already passed.

But then i only think you get a fine if HMRC have asked you to fill one in and you miss the deadline. If they haven't asked you to file one, i don't think the Jan deadline counts

If by this year you mean 2020/21, then you have plenty of time to sort it

I can't comment on that specifically. We both have Gov Gateway accounts and they were created easily and quickly. Once created they send you a confirmation code by text or email that you insert and Robert's your mother's brother. Once created it holds all your tax, P60 and Child Benefit details.

Maybe it is a cookies issue, give it a try.

But that seems broken as well, maybe we are missing something, unfortunately because of cookies etc mine works, the problem is with new registrations

I've got round it by going to my log on screen and clicking create new logon details.

how do they expect people with little experience with computers to cope with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    When you say this year, do you mean you need to do one for 2019/20? If so, you may struggle to get it all set up and submitted before the Jan deadline. The deadline for paper returns for 2019/20 has already passed.

But then i only think you get a fine if HMRC have asked you to fill one in and you miss the deadline. If they haven't asked you to file one, i don't think the Jan deadline counts

its 19/20 so 31st Jan, she hasn't been asked, just needs to pay the tax on a dividend.

Master
    its 19/20 so 31st Jan, she hasn't been asked, just needs to pay the tax on a dividend.
    if its just that and nothing else they may be able to amend her tax code to account for the dividend tax. A phonecall will do and they will sort it from there

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    if its just that and nothing else they may be able to amend her tax code to account for the dividend tax. A phonecall will do and they will sort it from there
    Thanks, that would be nice, but i doubt a tax code adjustment will cover it.

On a tangent, I had a bizarre experience in January when I "submitted" my self-employed three-line-accounting Tax Return.

Why have you sent us that?
    I thought I had to
    No, we know all about your tax liability from the various sources available to us. You don't owe anything

Fair enough. Not the occasion to go cage-rattling. They don't want anything, I don't send anything. I thought it was odd that I hadn't received the usual barrage of "It's getting a bit late; submit your return now" messages.

she just called them and got a very odd response, we do have a problem so we will extend your deadline by three months, but we still expect payment by the 31st Jan.

Master
    she just called them and got a very odd response, we do have a problem so we will extend your deadline by three months, but we still expect payment by the 31st Jan.
    Very strange indeed.

Although I do love the fact an adjustment won’t cover the tax paid, congratulations to you both there - well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a letter saying I owe them a few hundred quid. The letter includes a link to pay it. When I click the link I'm taken to a page saying I don't owe them anything. I gave up trying to speak to a human about it after an hour on hold (on their chargeable non-geographic number).

Defund the Revenue!

Craftsman
    I could not complete this other than on a PC .
    All the portable wireless alternatives failed .
    Not sure what you are trying to complete this on .
    Hope this helps , if not ignore and follow the advice of the previously listed from the more professional.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I've had a letter saying I owe them a few hundred quid. The letter includes a link to pay it. When I click the link I'm taken to a page saying I don't owe them anything. I gave up trying to speak to a human about it after an hour on hold (on their chargeable non-geographic number).

Defund the Revenue!
    I think you might find that “defunding” has been done by successive government over a long period. Unfortunately you get the service you fund.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post

https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-t...urns/deadlines

New sources of income need to be notified by 31 October in the year in which they arise.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    On a tangent, I had a bizarre experience in January when I "submitted" my self-employed three-line-accounting Tax Return.
    Why have you sent us that?
    I thought I had to
    No, we know all about your tax liability from the various sources available to us. You don't owe anything
    Sole traders earning more than £1,000 (before allowable deductions) need to file a return so if that explains HMRC's comments then fine, otherwise you may need to file a return.

https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-t...d-a-tax-return

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    I think you might find that “defunding” has been done by successive government over a long period. Unfortunately you get the service you fund.
    Definitely this.
    Last edited by deepreddave; 21st November 2020 at 16:16.