closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help needed on vintage lady's Rolex

Craftsman

Help needed on vintage lady's Rolex

I wondered if anyone can shed some light on the Rolex below? I have been sent some photos by my cousin who tells me that this was her husband's grandmother's Rolex watch, but apart from that has absolutely no other information on it.

They are nowhere near Rolex or any other suitable vintage watch shop to ask the various questions, but if anyone can shed some light on any information or suitable site to have a look at or person to speak to that would be most appreciated. Of course the other question that they asked me is if I had any ideas on value....And of course, I don't....so as I say, any help would be gratefully received.

Here are the photos that I have:

Last edited by Rich; 18th November 2020 at 21:23.

I'm guessing that's not a Lady's Rolex. Looks like a half hunter pocket watch that has had those lug bars added at some point to enable it to take a strap and be worn on the wrist. The serial number and silver hallmarks should help you date the watch, but if I was to take a punt early 1920s would be my guess, if not a little before.

Nice item, you should get it serviced and sympathetically restored.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I'm guessing that's not a Lady's Rolex. Looks like a half hunter pocket watch that has had those lug bars added at some point to enable it to take a strap and be worn on the wrist. The serial number and silver hallmarks should help you date the watch, but if I was to take a punt early 1920s would be my guess, if not a little before.

Nice item, you should get it serviced and sympathetically restored.
    excellent - thanks for the helpful info. Will definitely put them in touch with Brendan for a sympathetic restoration.

Master
    I agree with Wallasey in that it was probably originally a man's watch, from 1920 give or take a few years. But I'm not convinced that it was ever a pocket watch. Here's a very similar one to yours I found after a google search: https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...b-a4a4009a56b7

Quote Originally Posted by jl smout View Post
    I agree with Wallasey in that it was probably originally a man's watch, from 1920 give or take a few years. But I'm not convinced that it was ever a pocket watch. Here's a very similar one to yours I found after a google search: https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...b-a4a4009a56b7
    Interesting link and the fact that they also refer to it as a half hunter. That was what made me think it may have started life as a pocket watch. The dial is in the trench watch style. I like it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jl smout View Post
    great find!

and the "trench" thing is that a 1stWW reference? A quick search on the hallmarks suggests 1918 although difficult to really see from the photo but that would fit?

http://www.vintage-watches-collectio...rolex-watches/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    great find!

and the "trench" thing is that a 1stWW reference? A quick search on the hallmarks suggests 1918 although difficult to really see from the photo but that would fit?
    Yes. If you Google trench watches, anything with a 1st WW connection is highly desired and collectible. There are different types and Officers watches etc, but the dials tend to have a similar style.

The problem is proving the provenience. Even if you have a 1914, 15, 16 trench watch etc and the serial numbers and hallmarks back that up, did the watch ever leave Blighty, see action etc. Those that you can prove involvement clearly would carry a premium.

I'm always surprised how low in value these watches are in real terms and in relation to today's offerings given their history and remember this wasn't that long after the first wrist watches.