closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTC

Master

SOTC

I’ve been a member of this community for almost eight years and yet I’ve never posted a state of the collection. This will likely be the first and only time I do so.

I can hear the howls of derision already. Three watches isn’t a collection. Actually it’s not even three, just two “proper” watches and a Garmin. Plastic watches don’t count. I certainly wouldn’t disagree with that viewpoint.

At its high point I think I had twelve watches on the go. More than some here and less than many others. When I first joined I had a non-date Sub (14060M) that I’d bought brand new from Watches of Switzerland on Princes Street, Edinburgh. That would have been sometime in 2011. It’s a branch of Chisholm Hunter now.

Joining this place turned me into a magpie, attracted to the bright and shiny and new. I bought my first watch direct from Seiya in Japan. The first of a few Seiko Tunas. It hadn’t occurred to me until then that you could buy watches online from overseas retailers. I also discovered micro brands like Crepas in Spain and Korsbek in the USA.

During my time here I’ve met a few members face to face to complete deals. Egypt5, or Willie from Glasgow, was the first of several. We met at The Dome, George Street in Edinburgh one winter’s night. I handed over a brown paper envelope full of bank notes in return for his vintage Breitling Transocean 7102 chronograph. My first ever chrono. Willie brought along with him his Omega Seamaster 1000m (Le Grand) and a Chronostop. He mentioned his interest in Enicar watches, which I’d not heard of until then.

Not long after I headed up to Inverness on the train one Saturday morning to meet Ross C and buy the First Omega In Space he’d listed on SC. Again I took an envelope full of bank notes with me. I didn’t do online banking back in those days. I also took Holly, my Whippet, along for company. She liked Ross.

Not too long afterwards I made the same journey to relieve Andrew Cregan of a Submariner 16610 that he’d listed for sale. He even let me pay by instalments. I left Holly with a friend that day.

I also remember a trip to Kirkcaldy to buy a Sumo from SIB.

More recently, I encountered Jimmcb, another Edinburgh resident, and since then we’ve bought, sold and traded with each other a fair number of pens and watches.

Also completed a couple of face to face trades with MFB Scotland (Michael), the most recent of which was just before lockdown.

I agreed a trade with Bitfield from Cornwall (not seen him here in ages). We met up at King’s Cross station and retired to a pub to conclude the deal. Business concluded I had a quick walk around the neighbourhood before getting my train back home. That was a long day. And only the third day I’ve ever spent in London in all my 56 years.

I also met up with fellow member Raysablade in Newcastle one Sunday afternoon to conclude a trade. Not seen him here for a while, either.

Every member I’ve met has been a pleasure to deal with, genuine enthusiasts rather than people looking to turn a profit.

When I bought the 14060M the salesperson said it would probably be the first of several Rolex. Having just spent the best part of £4200 or was it £4190 (forget what the RRP was back then) the notion of spending a similar amount on another watch was ludicrous. But he was right. The 16610 came along soon after, followed by a Sea-Dweller (16600). And an Explorer or two, though I forget the reference numbers. I even ended up with a beautiful blue Tudor Sub (79190), bought from a local pawnbroker for around £2200.

During my time here I’ve also had a couple of Moonwatches and two FOIS. My favourite Omega though was a vintage Seamaster “banana dial” that I bought from another member.

I’ve bought, sold and traded a ridiculous number of watches during lockdown, maybe thirty or more.

But in the last few months it occurred to me that I really don’t need fountain pens I never use and watches I rarely wear. My preference is to wear the same watch for weeks, even months, at a time. I’m also a stickler for accuracy. No point owning a watch that needs to be adjusted each week. It was time to sell with the intention of saving the bulk of what the fire sale brought in.

I’ve finally concluded that as much as I like watches, I’m really not a collector or a hoarder of them. It’s the same with pens. The truth is I’m jaded with the whole business. There’s nothing new under the sun.

The Hanhart Pioneer Dual Timer that I’m wearing now has been with me for a month or so. That makes it the watch I’ve owned the longest. I forget who I first bought it from here. But I traded it with Jimmcb and after a while it ended up with Lammylee. Before he listed it for sale, he had it regulated by Brendan Hoey and it is now accurate to less than a second a day. I love the bracelet, the fat crown and the cathedral hands.

A couple of days ago my Hanhart 417 ES (reissue) arrived from the Black Forest region of Germany. A non-date manual wind chrono was always going to pique my interest. The serial number is 64. I was born in 1964. There wasn’t an option to take a serial number so that worked out well for me. When I read a post about this new release last month I placed an order that same day. From order to delivery in 24 days. Not a bad watch for just £1639.72. It compares favourably with the likes of Damasko, Sinn and Tutima.

Two Hanhart chronos in a three, maybe just two, watch collection adds up to zero variety for most folk here. But it suits me. Maybe I’m just a sucker for the wonderful black leather watch rolls favoured by Hanhart.

My second incoming of the week arrived yesterday afternoon, a Garmin Instinct Solar watch. This could be my daily wearer and make the two Hanharts redundant. But first of all I need to get my head around how to set the damn thing. Once I get it to do the things I want from it I think we’ll get along just fine.

I may or may not have a Navigator incoming. The pending transaction on my debit card has since disappeared and I’ve definitely not been charged for the watch. If I get it, great. If not, well it’s not the end of the world, either. I like the look of Eddie’s forthcoming chronograph, but I don’t actually need anything else. These three have cost me just short of £3,000. It seems like a ridiculous sum to have tied up in watches. Anything more would cause me stress.

I read the various posts here about how much you need to spend on stuff you don’t even want in order to eventually pick up a sports Rolex at RRP and I’m just bemused. If I visit a nightclub and the door staff don’t think I’m cool enough to be granted entry, well then I just turn away and find another watering hole happy to let me spend my money there. There are plenty of other brands out there and some of them are pretty good.

When I first started out on this journey I didn’t even like chronographs and I wasn’t too fussed on vintage watches, either. I keep checking out the Smiths W10 on SC right now and that ticks so many boxes for me. But I really don’t need another watch right now, thank you. I used to favour dive watches but now I don’t have any. Three watches is possibly one too many. We’ll see how this pans out.

Last edited by seabiscuit; 18th November 2020 at 18:05.

Blog Entries
    Well well! Thanks for the extended walk through your buying history! Very interesting and I'm sure others will resonate with your journey. And very nice to see something than the usual fair in your collection of 3!

Master
    Lovely story and i understand where you are coming from.

Due to ilness i have now decided that three is the maximun number for me so it's always one in and one out...and i don't buy anything like the number i did.

Although i have one expensive watch i love the watches that i can just grab and go like my Citizen GPS.

More to life than expensive watches or chasing the next one.

Craftsman
    A lovely read. That 417 looks excellent!

A lovely write-up and an interesting read. I always enjoy hearing about the journey and thought processes leading up to a ‘complete’ collection. So much more considered than people just buying (and then selling) everything just because they can. The Hanharts are fairly new to me but look impressive. One question though, what is the red bit for at the top of the bezel?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    A lovely write-up and an interesting read. I always enjoy hearing about the journey and thought processes leading up to a ‘complete’ collection. So much more considered than people just buying (and then selling) everything just because they can. The Hanharts are fairly new to me but look impressive. One question though, what is the red bit for at the top of the bezel?
    Good question. The fluted bezel rotates and with the red mark it allows for some further timing beyond the thirty minutes of the sub dial timer. Not sure that makes any sense. I just like it because it looks cool.

There’s been absolutely no consideration applied to my watch buying. If I saw something I could afford I bought it. After a while I probably got bored with it and put it towards something else. I started off collecting dive watches to the exclusion of all others. Then I was drawn to pilot and military style watches.

I’ve always enjoyed seeing what others own. I’ve never felt envious or jealous of what others have in their collections. They probably earn more than me, started collecting much earlier when prices were more reasonable. Watches brought me here but it’s the sense of community that keeps me from checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Good question. The fluted bezel rotates and with the red mark it allows for some further timing beyond the thirty minutes of the sub dial timer. Not sure that makes any sense. I just like it because it looks cool.
    That makes sense. It just didn’t look like a rotating bezel.

Great read, thanks a lot for posting. Lovely collection and an interesting state to be at after so many watches going through your hands. I bet you did not expect it either!

I seem to have a similar feeling about watches. If I find I don't wear something for a while - I see no need for it and move it on. I think 3-4 watches is more than enough for me. I have 2 I'd never get rid off...

Excellent write up and yes, three is a great number to have. I currently have two with plans to expand to three, but that will be it and like others a one in, one out policy. Thinking back I've never done a SOTC either, but there was always little point given the churn of stuff coming and going. Having a smaller collection certainly helps with the constant flipping.

Enjoy.

Great read - and I had completely forgotten that there used to be a WoS on Princes Street. Cheers

Craftsman
    Thankyou for sharing. A very nice write up.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Lovely write up. Thank you. 3 is perfect.

An interesting write up of your watch journey.

+1 very interesting read on your watch and TZ journey

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

So that's where my old Hanhart ended up! It's a cracking watch and I kind of miss it (It would have been a definte keeper had it a coin edge bezel) but nice to see someone else appreciates it. Great write-up and thanks for sharing.

Master
    Very interesting watch journey, thanks for sharing. Excellent perspective on life, the universe and everything.
    I first discovered Blancpain in that Chisholm Hunter on Princess Street, couple of cold Peronis provided to loosen up the CC.

A good read and ‘64 is the finest year.

Don’t worry though, I reckon you’ll soon be back into double figures mind, if you hang around here...”My name is Seabiscuit and I’m a watch addict.”

Regards

Jon

Master
    Thanks so much for the kind comments. I worried that my post would come across as self-indulgent. I enjoyed putting it together and looking back on all the face to face meetings that ended with watches being exchanged. In some respects it has almost been as much about the people I’ve met along the way as the watches themselves. There are many other members that I’ve dealt with who I’d liked to have met. PreacherCain and I are proud Whippet enthusiasts as well as watch fans. Ian_O has a pen collection to rival your average WH Smith. I remember exchanging PMs with Rev-O and thinking that he’s a lovely guy as well as a Smiths watch guru.

It has taken me the best part of seven years to master the art of posting pictures and thereby allow me to post a SOTC. It’ll probably take another seven years to take a halfway decent picture. I’ll revisit this post a year from today and see if there has been any change.

Lampoc: I didn’t know the Pioneer Dual Timer used to be yours. As you say, it’s a good watch that would look even better with the fluted bezel. The 417 ES has that as well as the classic Hanhart script. I haven’t worn it yet but I like taking a peep at it. I like your Titoni and Eterna Kon-Tiki collections. And that Movado chrono of yours.

What a truly fantastic write up Sean. A pleasure to read such an in-depth and honest look at your journey in watches. I’m sure many’s a member here can relate to the decisions you’ve made, and where your at.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    What a truly fantastic write up Sean. A pleasure to read such an in-depth and honest look at your journey in watches. I’m sure many’s a member here can relate to the decisions you’ve made, and where your at.
    Justin, you were a delight to deal with during the summer and I enjoyed exchanging messages with you. I also remember a pleasant deal with Nev, also from Northern Ireland. I come across so many names here and I think to myself, “Hey, I did a deal with you. Damned if I can remember the watch involved, but we definitely did a deal.” It’s actually embarrassing to think of the volume of watches that have passed through my hands.

But I’m definitely a reformed character now. Honest.
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 18th November 2020 at 23:28.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    “Hey, I did a deal with you. Damned if I can remember the watch involved, but we definitely did a deal.”
    CWC Automatic Diver

Master

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    CWC Automatic Diver
    How could I forget? You were also incredibly helpful with advice on a vintage Speedmaster I was looking at. You’re definitely a forum stalwart, Ken.

That reminds me: I recollect doing a deal that involved a Swedish member. I ended up with a CWC RN diver quartz. I also sold a watch to Wooster when he was based in Romania.

I really enjoyed that SOTC story, thanks!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I really enjoyed that SOTC story, thanks!
    Thanks, Kirk. I appreciate people taking the time to read it. Putting it together was quite therapeutic.

Master
    A very engaging stroll down memory lane, thank you.

That’s a really good write up. Thanks for sharing. The pair of Hanharts are lovely too.

Brilliant, really enjoyed that as I wrestle with thoughts of cutting numbers, again.

Interesting write-up, and even more interesting collection - Hanhart make some of the best-looking watches, full stop, and have bags of interesting history, it baffles me why they don't get more love. The Pioneer in particular has the look of a watch I could live with if I was ever compelled to choose the proverbial "Just The One".

I fear I'm about 1/4 the way through the process of collecting that you have experienced/endured. I'm at the scattergun - throw cash around - get bored - lose money - feel guilty - move-on stage...

'64 is indeed a grand vintage

Master
    Nice to see the Solar Instinct; if I had one it would probably be my single most useful watch. But I have a solar GPS G-Shock and a non-solar Instinct, so it's not really justifiable in my case. I'll probably buy one despite that though, or at least I wouldn't be surprised.

SOTC

Thanks for taking the time to share your journey, I enjoyed that - sincere and thoughtful, makes a change from the new norm. I’m sure you’ll have switched up again in a few months, but more than happy to be proved wrong. Many other pubs I’d have favoured over the Dome but accept central and open. (o: Glad you made it back safely from Kirkcaldy! Will keep my eyes peeled for your Hanharts on my daily Edin constitutional.

Craftsman
    Great read.

I particularly like the fact that the ones you’ve settled on aren’t any of the ‘big brands’

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    Great read.

I particularly like the fact that the ones you’ve settled on aren’t any of the ‘big brands’
    I quite agree. These have character.

An interesting read, and it's good to get an idea of how other members have got to where they are. I've bought and sold so many it's ridiculous but I guess at some point I'll calm down and settle on a select few. Those Hanharts are lovely.

Quick question … is Holly still with you and do you have a picture? I had whippets as a kid so have a bit of a soft spot for them

Great read. Thanks a lot for taking the time.

I think that you had it bad, but you're cured now!

SOTC

That was a great read, thanks for posting. It also seems that you have a much healthier relationship with watches now, and you have the perspective that comes from having had the iconic Rolex watches.

I love those Hanharts. My work mentor (sadly gone now), who was largely responsible for my own watch madness had the earlier 1939 Replika, and although he owned some very high end stuff, the Hanhart was his favourite, as worn by Messerschmitt pilots he would say.

BW

Dave
    Last edited by helidoc; 19th November 2020 at 21:26.

Craftsman
    Thanks for sharing your watch journey.....I'm now thinking less is more and trying very hard to streamline my own modest collection.

Such a difficult task though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    An interesting read, and it's good to get an idea of how other members have got to where they are. I've bought and sold so many it's ridiculous but I guess at some point I'll calm down and settle on a select few. Those Hanharts are lovely.

Quick question … is Holly still with you and do you have a picture? I had whippets as a kid so have a bit of a soft spot for them
    Holly passed away back in July 2015. She was diagnosed with a liver condition. We had 18 good months before she deteriorated very quickly. A few weeks later and I needed another Whippet in my life. Eli was living on a farm down in Friskney, Lincolnshire and was 18 months old at the time. It was a long journey to collect him but well worth it. I’ve posted pictures of them in the long running dogs thread in the G&D but will look to post some more.

Again, thanks to all for the positive feedback and kind comments.

Recently I revisited videos of Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing...

then I gave away bags of toys to neighbor kids and felt the joy of relief of clearing my cabinets and the happiness of someone who would have the joy of having them.

might take some courage to review my inventory of watches.
    Last edited by seikomatic; 20th November 2020 at 04:29.