closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TV series recommendation - The Fall

TV series recommendation - The Fall

Just thought I'd take a minute to post this, as The Fall - originally aired over three seasons from 2013-2016 - completely passed me by first time around; however, all episodes are currently available from the BBC on Sky.

Starring Gillian Anderson and Jamie Dornan in the lead roles, IMDB summarises the plot as follows: "A psychological thriller that examines the lives of two hunters. One is a serial killer who stalks his victims in and around Belfast and the other is a talented Detective Superintendent from the MET who is brought in to catch him."

I thought it was absolutely spellbinding stuff, and the best thing I've watched on TV for a very long time. The psychological tussle between, and the superb portrayal of, the two main characters underpins a plot that's actually quite horrific in parts, and makes it an easy recommendation.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 18th November 2020 at 08:58.

Got one more episode of the Queen's Gambit to go and was wondering what to watch next

Master
    Gillian Anderson? Be still my beating heart! I don’t watch much telly but I remember she was awesome in a BBC adaptation of Bleak House a few years ago.

Really liked the first series but then lost its way, but certainly worth giving a try

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Got one more episode of the Queen's Gambit to go and was wondering what to watch next
    You can always thank me by sending me my GMT back...

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Gillian Anderson? Be still my beating heart! I don’t watch much telly but I remember she was awesome in a BBC adaptation of Bleak House a few years ago.
    Her performance in this is breathtaking, and she looks absolutely gorgeous throughout!

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Really liked the first series but then lost its way, but certainly worth giving a try
    Actually I thought it just got better and better, although for reasons that will become obvious it gradually migrated from the horrendous acts themselves to much more intense characterisation as each series progressed.

It's a fantastic series. Have you watched Broadchurch?
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    It's a fantastic series. Have you watched Broadchurch?
    No, but it's on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    You can always thank me by sending me my GMT back...
    Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Which one?

Slightly changing the thread subject, but you might like 'Sex Education' on Netflix, comedy primarily about a 6th form collage in Wales, the main characters mum is played by Gillian Anderson and she is a very broad minded sex therapist.
    Cheers..
    Jase

We should have read a bit more about it before starting it but assumed that the three series would be three distinct stories. We watched and really enjoyed series 1 a couple of weeks ago but were slightly disappointed that it didn't come to a nice round conclusion. We'll launch into series 2 and 3 in a few days - hopefully we'll quickly get over the fact that it's one long story and get right back into it again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Slightly changing the thread subject, but you might like 'Sex Education' on Netflix, comedy primarily about a 6th form collage in Wales, the main characters mum is played by Gillian Anderson and she is a very broad minded sex therapist.
    Jason, that ticks so many boxes for me. Don’t have Netflix but I’d be tempted to get it just for that.

Jason, that ticks so many boxes for me. Don’t have Netflix but I’d be tempted to get it just for that.

You should, maybe they do a free trial ?

Heres the trailer, little bit nsfw.

Cheers..
    Jase

I just replied to Rusty on another thread, but this might also be a option for you.

With a Netflix subscription you get 5 logins for different devices, so if you have a close friend or family member who has Netflix but hasn't used their 5 device log ins you could ask for their login details. Unlike Amazon Prime ( which has a similar thing) Netlix doesn't have any extras you can buy so there is no risk to the account holder.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Jason, you’re such an enabler. That trailer has got me hooked. Netflix here I come....

Jason, you’re such an enabler. That trailer has got me hooked. Netflix here I come....
    Ha!
    You won't regret it, Netflix has got some really good stuff.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I watched this in real time back in the day with my missus. First series was brilliant and we were hooked. 2nd was good, but the 3rd was a real labour of love, we barely managed to struggle through it.

Apparently it was only meant to be 1 series, but they ended up se-shooting the ending as it had been so well received. if they had stuck to original plan it would have gone down as an absolute classic in my eyes.

Much easier to bail out if your not feeling it thesedays when you haven’t invested 3yrs of your life in it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't get on with her tortured accent.

Just starting to watch Broadchurch for the first time...
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I couldn't get on with her tortured accent.

Just starting to watch Broadchurch for the first time...
    That's strange. She grew up in London, has been based here for nearly 20 years and is considered to be bidialectal. I thought her accent was spot on, albeit slightly clipped.

Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post
    I watched this in real time back in the day with my missus. First series was brilliant and we were hooked. 2nd was good, but the 3rd was a real labour of love, we barely managed to struggle through it.

Apparently it was only meant to be 1 series, but they ended up se-shooting the ending as it had been so well received. if they had stuck to original plan it would have gone down as an absolute classic in my eyes.

Much easier to bail out if your not feeling it thesedays when you haven’t invested 3yrs of your life in it!

I watched this back when it first aired with my wife - shortly after she went with a group of girl friends to see the first ‘fifty shades’ also starring Jamie Dornan - and she really couldn’t understand how they could cast him in such a role as she couldn’t shake the image of him as a violent rapist. He’s an excellent actor imho, but my wife commented ‘I think I’m supposed to fancy him but after watching those rape scenes in The Fall, he just gives me the creeps - he’s horrible’ which probably isn’t what the makers of 50 shades were going for!

Master
    Great show!

Took a few episodes for the rest of the cast to get up to speed, but Dornan and Anderson where brilliant throughout IMO

That's strange. She grew up in London, has been based here for nearly 20 years and is considered to be bidialectal. I thought her accent was spot on, albeit slightly clipped.
    I couldn't stop laughing at her accent in the latest series of The Queen.

Broadchurch is magnificent. Another example though of something best left for a single series.

While I'm here, Happy Valley. Sarah Lancashire is fantastic in it.
    "A man of little significance"

I've just listened to a section of a Youtube interview and obviously her accent just grates on me.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I've just listened to a section of a Youtube interview and obviously her accent just grates on me.
    She can grate on me whenever she likes

She can grate on me whenever she likes
    I’ve never been a big fan of hers but she pretty much smouldered her way through every scene in The Fall

Just finished watching The Fall (on Amazon Prime) and didn't want to read this thread until we'd got through it all.

Really enjoyed it (and having liven in Belfast for a couple of years a lot of the locations were familiar).

The only thing that irritated me throughout was Anderson's vocal delivery - her accent, the way she has to whisper everything, and the long, unnecessary pauses. With a better actress it would have been a much better series.