closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex demand / prices

Craftsman

Rolex demand / prices

For those more informed than I - what is keeping Rolex prices way above RRP? Is it first time buyers who don't mind paying over the odds, is it WIS who simply must own a particular model no matter what the cost, or is it dealers / speculators hoovering all the available stock looking to make a profit?

All that - non of that - who really cares, other drugs are more freely available.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Simple answer was that Rolex was once underpriced so they done what they should have done 10 years ago, they started to release less watches and it has worked.

Now Rolex is in demand and the brand image has been restored.

Supply and demand - as simple as that.

There are numerous threads discussing how people get to buy a popular watch at list price, but for the vast majority on here it won't happen, so you have a choice, either pay the market price or do without. Clearly some are still happy to pay.

Lesson learned the hard way -> Never sell a Rolex. [Sell everything else first.]

Well, not until the bubble bursts at least.

What's keeping the price high you ask? Cos most can't get them at RRP, and some folk are happy enough to pay the inflated prices. Fine with me - pushes my wee collection ever higher.

It's all Rolex' fault - not producing the amount of watches that everyone says they should (cos they are more astute businessmen than Rolex' management)

Quote Originally Posted by amii21 View Post
    For those more informed than I - what is keeping Rolex prices way above RRP? Is it first time buyers who don't mind paying over the odds, is it WIS who simply must own a particular model no matter what the cost, or is it dealers / speculators hoovering all the available stock looking to make a profit?
    I believe the third reason you offer accounts for the majority

Blog Entries
    Popularity. Nothing more nothing less.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Popularity. Nothing more nothing less.
    There's more to it than just popularity. There are millions of mass produced 'popular' items, very few that are made in such numbers as Rolex and are so frequently and consistently selling above RRP.

It's a marketeers dream and one that very few brands have managed to pull-off.

It's a variety of reasons and clever marketing. I still can't get my head around the Steve McQueen watch that he never wore being sold at overinflated prices as the Steve McQueen watch. When did an alcoholic, druggy wife beater become such a role model?

After Schwarzeneggers indiscretion the value of his named pieces took a hit and seemed to have plateaud. If they were Rolex pieces they would have skyrocketed!
    Last edited by Tony-GB; 18th November 2020 at 15:48.

Wow, what an original and interesting question. Wonder why don’t discuss this more often:-)

But of course RRP only applies to new watches. Why not buy vintage or discontinued if you prefer. Many of the 4 or 5 digit references are far better looking watches and RRP doesn't apply, just the going market rate for a nice example.

Sure, you don't get the Sue Ellen shoulders, the blingy shiny Ceramic insert or tons of micro notches on an original bracelet clasp, but you do get a stunning watch that looks good, wears better than the modern top heavy examples and there is masses of choice, just check out any of the dealers or Chrono24 etc, Subs, GMTs, SDs, Daytonas, Explorers etc etc all available today.

No need to go anywhere near an AD.

Craftsman
    I don't really know why , but I do find it both amusing and interesting in equal measures.

Oldest sales trick in the world. Tell someone they cannot have it. Creates massive demand.

As soon as the item in question is freely available the mystique is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Oldest sales trick in the world. Tell someone they cannot have it. Creates massive demand.

A variation on the Maltese rope trick, which for the uninitiated is the rope outside the nightclub for people to queue to go in when the place is empty and people see a queue so join it.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Wow, what an original and interesting question. Wonder why don’t discuss this more often:-)
    This!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

What he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Rolex demand / prices

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    It's a variety of reasons and clever marketing. I still can't get my head around the Steve McQueen watch that he never wore being sold at overinflated prices as the Steve McQueen watch. When did an alcoholic, druggy wife beater become such a role model?

After Schwarzeneggers indiscretion the value of his named pieces took a hit and seemed to have plateaud. If they were Rolex pieces they would have skyrocketed!
    Could be compared to the late Sean Connery , wife beater that Rolex wearers love. At least he wore a Rolex in a film if that makes it any better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Could be compared to the late Sean Connery , wife beater that Rolex wearers love. At least he wore a Rolex in a film if that makes it any better for you.

Why would it make it better for me? I didn't start the thread and hate to point it out to you but Bond (which Connery portrayed) is a fictitious character where many brands have been used. He's not an actual person. You're not trying to start an argument, surely?

And I know what Connery wore as I've worn the actual watch. If that makes my reply any better for you...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Why would it make it better for me? I didn't start the thread and hate to point it out to you but Bond (which Connery portrayed) is a fictitious character where many brands have been used. He's not an actual person. You're not trying to start an argument, surely?

And I know what Connery wore as I've worn the actual watch. If that makes my reply any better for you...
    No argument required. I see your point but can’t be arsed to argue about it. Have a nice day:)

more demand than supply and plenty of people willing to pay. i think they are not all there but thats just opinion

Its the covid effect, wearing a rolex offers 100% protection.

Blog Entries
    People are sheeple, everybody has to have a tattoo and everybody wants a Rolex, I really don't think a lot of people think it's the best looking/running watch in the world, it's just the "wannahave" factor, belonging to a group.

Kudos to Rolex, a boring line-up and people fighting over their product.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    No argument required. I see your point but can’t be arsed to argue about it. Have a nice day:)

Hope you have a good day.

Journeyman

An economist walks in the AD

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    There's more to it than just popularity. There are millions of mass produced 'popular' items, very few that are made in such numbers as Rolex and are so frequently and consistently selling above RRP.

It's a marketeers dream and one that very few brands have managed to pull-off.
    Yep. Marketing. They (like Eddie) could raise prices to cut demand, but it's better for them to keep them low and "exclusive"

Surely, they could make more money with higher prices? Kinda... but then customers would start to LOOK AROUND to see what else they could get, instead of (cliche) "pulling the trigger" on the spot. No thinking=easier sales...

As an economist, I endorse Seiko for normal people, Smiths for "connoisseurs" and Rolex for people that want (to be seen in) the "very best"

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    People are sheeple, everybody has to have a tattoo and everybody wants a Rolex....
    I'm not a sheeple, just had my latest tattoo finished though. Hope I can show it off in the AD and get my name down for a watch I don't want.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    Is the date number there what I think it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Is the date number there what I think it is?
    Yep, you remember the rhyme, 88 days has September

I didn't know that. Not good.

Craftsman
    The marketing by Rolex seems very effective as even if there’s no shortage of posts about ‘relationships’ and ‘My AD offered me a Rolex I don’t want, should I take it?’ If I refuse to take part, there are many who will dance to Rolex/AD’s tune

Call me naive but, I’ve got a liking for the BLNR Batman.
    I’d even considered selling my 14060 to fund one but the price difference , I thought, is too great.
    I genuinely thought the RRP was over £12k until my mate stunned me by telling me they cost £7750!!!

I don’t keep track of retail prices but, hells bells, you’d have be mad to pay £12k for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Yep, you remember the rhyme, 88 days has September
    OK that actually made me laugh out loud.

But back to the OP: why is someone who has been a member here for nearly a decade asking that question? FFS we've been there, done that ad infinitum.

You can say "supply and demand" (and Rolex restrict supply); you can say "Veblen" (and they are possibly the world's greatest exponents of that madness); you point to Omega and Grand Seiko as making better products and say that the name of Rolex is some kind of black magic spell or incantation.

All are true.

Objectively Rolex are, in car terms, Audis or Range Rovers or BMW: big bling brands. Mechanically, good, solid workhorses, but not the true connoisseur's choice. Not really rare or beautiful or special. Middle class status symbols that also deliver the goods.

Subjectively Rolex are objects of desire. And have made themselves so, with their mystique (waiting lists etc) and opacity (no published accounts, randomised serial numbers).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    Call me naive but, I’ve got a liking for the BLNR Batman.
    I’d even considered selling my 14060 to fund one but the price difference , I thought, is too great.
    I genuinely thought the RRP was over £12k until my mate stunned me by telling me they cost £7750!!!

I don’t keep track of retail prices but, hells bells, you’d have be mad to pay £12k for one.
    Grey prices are quite crazy but some people are prepared to pay them so that’s where the market sits I guess.

Presumably you’d want to sell your 14060 for the market value today as opposed to what it cost RRP? That would soften the blow quite substantially I would have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Grey prices are quite crazy but some people are prepared to pay them so that’s where the market sits I guess.

Presumably you’d want to sell your 14060 for the market value today as opposed to what it cost RRP? That would soften the blow quite substantially I would have thought.
    It’s not a current model so hardly a fair comparison. There is no current RRP!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    It’s not a current model so hardly a fair comparison. There is no current RRP!

Don’t see why that’s not a fair comparison as the 14060 is going for for more than the current models RRP. Just about all steel professional models are way over in the grey market. You can’t have it both ways.