closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you miss if it was all electric.

Blog Entries

What would you miss if it was all electric.

I'd miss seeing amazing pieces of automotive art like this one, although hopefully they will still be allowed on the roads.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

You’ll still see them but importantly, you need to be able to hear them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pinpull; 17th November 2020 at 19:01.

Master
    Being able to refuel with 500+ mile range in 2 minutes.

Master
    Manual gearbox.

Master
    Not paying per mile if recent reports of pay per mile are to be believed

Master
    My wood burning stove.

That Alfa is stunning though and sounds fantastic.

My BBQ

Natural sex

Blog Entries
    Electric may be fast but it could never replace this. Like watching Sophia Loren dressed in the stars and stripes bikini.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I'd miss seeing amazing pieces of automotive art like this one, although hopefully they will still be allowed on the roads.

My time on the forum has arrived!

I’ve always been an Alfista. When I saw one of these in the flesh for the first time in the 1990s, I thought it was the most beautiful car ever made, and it still is.

Not sure about electric cars. I think they are the future and my friend’s Tesla accelerates faster than my Maserati. On the other hand it has Netflix on the dash screen as well, which I take as a comment on how involving it is to drive.

PS Anyone who thought my name was Al, or al-Fat, now knows the truth. Cheers OOK.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post

I’ve always been an Alfista. When I saw one of these in the flesh for the first time in the 1990s, I thought it was the most beautiful car ever made, and it still is.

Not sure about electric cars. I think they are the future and my friend’s Tesla accelerates faster than my Maserati. On the other hand it has Netflix on the dash screen as well, which I take as a comment on how involving it is to drive.

PS Anyone who thought my name was Al, or al-Fat, now knows the truth. Cheers OOK.
    Electric cars may be fast, but they'll never have the soul of a V8.

I have an i3 and a 308 GT4 so I can relate, but I know I couldn't go back to not having an electric car. They're both good but in different ways.

When I'm not in the music or watch worlds I travel overland on bikes ( motorbikes ) so I'd miss being able to do big distances.
    I can often do 1000 mile days and that's just not possible on electric. I'd also miss the noise... not a fan of electric stuff.

V-Twin.

Apart from riding the motorbike, the magic of a V-Twin, both in noise, power and overrun is heaven for me.

I'd miss the excess respiratory deaths. The polluted skies. The buildings darkened by particulates.....

Seriously, I'd miss nothing. Nada. I'd welcome the positive impact on our natural ecosystem. I'm surprised people will miss a vroom vroom noise when in return you get better acceleration etc. Surely someone can mock up a vroom vroom moise that is pumped through speakers inside the car if that's your thing?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post

When I first saw the Tipo 33 Stradale at the FoS years ago, I just stared at it slack-jawed for about 20 minutes. It is the most compelling combination of beauty, grace, aggression and style I have ever seen. In any arena.
    An awesome thing.
    Well chosen name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I'd miss the excess respiratory deaths. The polluted skies. The buildings darkened by particulates.....

Seriously, I'd miss nothing. Nada. I'd welcome the positive impact on our natural ecosystem. I'm surprised people will miss a vroom vroom noise when in return you get better acceleration etc. Surely someone can mock up a vroom vroom moise that is pumped through speakers inside the car if that's your thing?

You need to watch this if you think “green” electric generation has a positive impact on the environment.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Interesting point of view from someone who lives in London and drives a big SUV.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Interesting point of view from someone who lives in London and drives a big SUV.
    I was thinking the same.........maybe we’re mistaken? If he’s so concerned about air pollution why choose to live in the centre of London?

Can’t see the point in getting all virtuous about these things and trying to be holier than thou. I drive a 3 litre diesel automatic and a 1970 MGB, neither will impress the eco- warriors, but I only drive a total of 4000miles/ year and very little if that is in built- up areas.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 18th November 2020 at 10:12.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Yup. When I bought the car I'd no idea about just how bad the damage we are causing is and I know that makes me a hypocrite. So I am part of the problem. I also eat a lot of meat and that also makes me part of the problem.

Master
    I would miss the smell and the sound.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    When I'm not in the music or watch worlds I travel overland on bikes ( motorbikes ) so I'd miss being able to do big distances.
    I can often do 1000 mile days and that's just not possible on electric. I'd also miss the noise... not a fan of electric stuff.
    I don’t see the ability to drive for 15+ hours in a day as a good selling point for the ICE. It’s that kind of travel that is at best terrible for the environment and potentially a serious risk for all other road users.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    When I first saw the Tipo 33 Stradale at the FoS years ago, I just stared at it slack-jawed for about 20 minutes. It is the most compelling combination of beauty, grace, aggression and style I have ever seen. In any arena.
    An awesome thing.
    Well chosen name
    Dave
    Thanks Dave. I chose my forum name because I’d like to think that I am also a compelling combination of beauty, grace, aggression and style as well.

I’d like to think that...

I have a petrol gokart, a home built one with a Briggs and Stratton engine on the back. It is chain drive, two pedals (left foot braking) with a solid rear axle and a carburettor (obviously). To start it you hold your hand over the carb, pull the starter cord, a huge slug of fuel gets pulled through onto your hand and it explodes into life. It makes a hell of a noise, it's quite frightening. The engine is 2inches from your bum. I learnt everything there is to know about oversteer, understeer, trail braking, power curves and rev limits, swarfega, spark plugs, ear plugs, and muck from this thing.
    I can't wait until my son is old enough to have go in the paddock on it. My dad bought it from my uncle, for me and my brothers when I was 11.

This is what I'll miss. The love of a good combustion engine.

I'll also miss the dizzying climb of revs, noise, speed and fear as your ring out a good 6 cylinder sports car to the rev counter red line, on a B road.

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    I don’t see the ability to drive for 15+ hours in a day as a good selling point for the ICE. It’s that kind of travel that is at best terrible for the environment and potentially a serious risk for all other road users.

You sound like a bore. Do you fly instead? Cause that's far better for the environment

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    I would miss the smell and the sound.
    +1, me too. I currently have an integral garage ( that'll change when I move next week!) and I like the pervading odour after putting the MGB away following a drive, a combination of hot oil with a hint of petrol. That’s how cars used to smell, I love it. I enjoy opening the door from the hall to the garage, seeing the car parked there, and inhaling the smell......sad but true.

I also enjoy the sound of the modified engine when revved to the red line ( a heady 6000rpm), you don’t get that with an electric car. OK, it’s only a 4 cylinder but it does sound quite nice.

Blog Entries
    For me it's that internal combustion engine thing, it first took hold of me when I had my first bike, a Triumph Tiger Cub. Just ticking over with a Dunstall meg it was pure joy. And it just got worse from there.

Sound and feedback from the engine / exhaust. Electric cars seem so boring, i really dont want one for a long while

Grand Master
    I’ve recently acquired a Honda petrol lawnmower, it was left behind with the bungalow I’ve bought. I always wanted a petrol mower and was like a kid with a new toy when I managed to get it running!

After a bit of TLC it works nicely and it makes a very satisfying noise. Beats fannying around with a poxy electric mower and a bloody cable.

I like internal combustion engines in the same way that I like mechanical watches.

The warm and vibrating gearknob.

Just go to Goodwood festival of speed and then you’ll see what we’ll miss..

A lot of classics like mine (when it’s on the road) do very limited mileage a year, sound brilliant and are often more fuel efficient than some of the Chelsea tractors.

If you ride around London or any other big city in a Range V8, Bentley 6.0 or similar vehicle, doing stop start journeys sucking down the fuel then you simply cannot protest about the environment.

I love my cars but if I commuted in a big city and didn’t use public transport id keep it small and nippy, make your life easier and and at least feel your not doing your maximum to pollute the environment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I’ve recently acquired a Honda petrol lawnmower, it was left behind with the bungalow I’ve bought. I always wanted a petrol mower and was like a kid with a new toy when I managed to get it running!

After a bit of TLC it works nicely and it makes a very satisfying noise. Beats fannying around with a poxy electric mower and a bloody cable.

I like internal combustion engines in the same way that I like mechanical watches.
    I know it's that feeling you get from internal combustion engines! Our lawnmower is petrol engined and I love starting it up! Also have a 50cc two stroke strimmer/hedge trimmer which is great, I can remember having peds with the same size engine!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    You sound like a bore. Do you fly instead? Cause that's far better for the environment
    Flying is better for the environment than a car with just the driver, but at least I’m not going to be flying it whilst excessively tired. There’s nothing smart about putting others at risk. I might be a bore but you sound like a selfish ****.

Blog Entries

Hey look, if you have a problem with the ICE this probably isn't the thread for you. Why not just let those who like such things have a nice time talking about them?

In the meantime here's a few Lancia Stratos doing what they do best..........annoying the hell out of everyone trying to beat them! (2.4 v6 Ferrari input!)

And a totally unbiased view........

Last edited by oldoakknives; 18th November 2020 at 01:00.

There will always be nostalgia for such things in the same way that there is for steam engines or vintage mechanical calculators. I love visiting Cuba and seeing the incredible number of 50s and 60s automobiles still on the roads and I'm sure that the next generations will enjoy visits to heritage events.

Fossil fuels are unsustainable regardless of environmental impact so a shift was going to happen sooner or later and I hope that there are still interesting and attractive designs that go like shit off a shovel. Can't say I'd personally miss the noise though, lived in too many congested cities with a constant traffic background drone.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Blog Entries
    Rickman Metisse in yer back garden. Oh yes.

Master
    Hey look, if you have a problem with the ICE this probably isn't the thread for you. Why not just let those who like such things have a nice time talking about them?

In the meantime here's a few Lancia Stratos doing what they do best..........annoying the hell out of everyone trying to beat them! (2.4 v6 Ferrari input!)

And a totally unbiased view........

I don’t have a problem with ICE, I take issue with someone thinking it’s a smart idea to regularly drive over 1000 miles a day, as there is no way that can be safe for him or any other road users.

I don’t have a problem with ICE, I take issue with someone thinking it’s a smart idea to regularly drive over 1000 miles a day, as there is no way that can be safe for him or any other road users.

Exactly, who does he think he is, Stirling Moss?

https://youtu.be/07CiCpf9kek
    Last edited by alfat33; 18th November 2020 at 08:13.

Flying is better for the environment than a car with just the driver, but at least I’m not going to be flying it whilst excessively tired. There’s nothing smart about putting others at risk. I might be a bore but you sound like a selfish ****.

I’ve been doing big mileage days for years. I’m used to it.
    The good thing about freedom is you don’t get to police what I do, and I couldn’t give a toss what you think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's debatable. Depends on the type of aircraft, the payload, the distance flown, etc. etc. You keep telling yourself that you're not a hypocrite though!

I haven't flown since 2006 but I have chuffed my way through a shed-load of hydrocarbons using cars and motorbikes since, but it still tots up as way less than one long-haul flight per year, therefore I am safe in my smug zone knowing I made a better environmental choice than you.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I'd miss talking about the mechanics of the ICE. No one is ever going to get excited about magnets and brushes in the same way.

I sort of miss my 2 stroke motorbikes but then I also accept them being banned.

I think I will miss the sound and feel of a high revving petrol engine but if progress makes it better and cleaner then like hearing and smelling a 2T bike go past it brings a temporary pang of nostalgia than any actual problem.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I sort of miss my 2 stroke motorbikes but then I also accept them being banned.

I think I will miss the sound and feel of a high revving petrol engine but if progress makes it better and cleaner then like hearing and smelling a 2T bike go past it brings a temporary pang of nostalgia than any actual problem.
    Two strokes aren’t actually banned, it’s just that they’re unable to meet emissions regulations.

Every few years there’s an attempt at resolving the issue and I did hear recently that some F1 teams are re looking into the possibility of two strokes.

Edit : I miss them too.

Master
    I love electric cars, they are a wonderful solution to a real problem in a way that other alternative fuels aren't. The refueling speed can be mitigated with higher power chargers and better battery tech and the logical conclusion to a 'speed off' between battery and any 'liquid filling' is won massively by the 'simple' expedient of making battery packs easily exchangeable.
    Infrastructure will be solved by capitalism sparked by legislation.

However.
    I will miss the sounds of a good petrol engine, the pinnacle of which in my eyes (ears) is the V10 in the Lexus LFA, the sound is just electric - if you'll pardon the pun.

Here's one being driven round what looks like London with a Ferrari following. The Ferrari, usually, would sound amazing, but after the LFA it sounds a bit dull and ordinary.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    That's debatable. Depends on the type of aircraft, the payload, the distance flown, etc. etc. You keep telling yourself that you're not a hypocrite though!

I have already said i don't have an issue with an ICE, just those that think it is OK to endanger others by regularly driving for excessive periods of time and probably at excessive speed. You keep selectively quoting me however!

Anyway, I can see others don't share my views on this so I will shut up.

Master
    I’ll miss being able to tow 800kg of horse plus 900kg of trailer across a wet field..

Last edited by Enoch; 18th November 2020 at 12:49.

Master
    Electric cars may be fast, but they'll never have the soul of a V8.
    This! Love my 5 litre V8!

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post

Here's one being driven round what looks like London with a Ferrari following. The Ferrari, usually, would sound amazing, but after the LFA it sounds a bit dull and ordinary.

Although it sounds good ,I look at that video and just think <insert non G&D word here>.

I expect I'll miss the low cost of ownership.
    A £30K ICE after eight years could be worth £10K. The £30K electric car will be worth £10K too, but it will also need a £10K battery.

I'll also miss the character of driving a good petrol engined car. My Skunk is OK below 7Krpm, but between there and 11K it's frantic. I used to have a CRX, an early V-TEC. The cam lobes extended at 7200rpm giving a real increase in the power and noise, utterly addictive. I also had a S3 Guigario Turbo Esprit, loads of turbo lag then woosh. It was heavy, stank and had a drinking habit that made Oliver Reed look like a Latter Day Saint, there was no rear visibility and it wasn't exactly reliable. To put it in other words, it was beguiling.

The Skunk is seriously quick by ICE standards, but that's still about a second slower over the 0-60 dash than Tesla's quickest. The CRX and the Turbo Esprit were moderately hot for their day, but not insanely so. But that's not the point, they were engaging in a way that an electric car's silent linear power delivery isn't.

I still maintain that the Smart Roadster is utterly brilliant (although Mrs V, vetoed my purchasing itch.) It's not a fast car. The gear change lag is, um, characterful. But it feels much faster than it is. You actually have to drive it and when you do, you'll be rewarded. And in the Roadster's case, you get the thrills without bending any speed limits.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I’ll miss being able to tow 800kg of horse plus 900kg of trailer across a wet field..

Does my bum look big in this?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

I’m sure someone will make an EV capable of doing just that.

If there’s a demand (and there is) then that demand will be met.