closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you miss if it was all electric.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Does my bum look big in this?
    It’s not big....it’s massive..

The lady that delivered him back to us, had Charlie, plus the massive shire in a horse trailer, being towed by a Landcruiser.

Charlie is 800kg, the shire is probably 850kg and the trailer 950kg and she travelled around 150 miles, then she was picking up 2 more horses for her return journey..
    I look forward to the electric 4x4 that can tow 2.5 tons 300 miles😈

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    V-Twin.

Apart from riding the motorbike, the magic of a V-Twin, both in noise, power and overrun is heaven for me.
    All I’ve read is that the plan is for banning the sale of new ICE cars and vans, nothing about motorcycles...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    My KTM250 SX which as some might know is a two stroke .

That on full power through sand is just wonderful . The thought of near silence instead . Shudder !

The beautiful, lazy power and sound of my V8, the small LPG bills, and the knowledge that I am damaging the earth more with electricity than I was with LPG :(

Craftsman
    I must be alone in not at all going to be missing loud exhausts. I've just never got that.

I ride motorbikes and quite like autoshite, but I find loud really dreadful and intrusive. Very 1970's, Carlos Fandango and all of that. I find it hilarious that some of the modern motors have to have speakers to make the noise, I guess to stop having the driver to keep going 'vroom... vroom'.

Exhaust sounds coming out of speakers is absolutely ridiculous. And I expect this ridiculousness will be more and more common as electric cars become more and more common, maybe for the sake of safety

I have no plans to go electric.
    I will just buy a new nice car in the last few years of petrol and keep for good alongside my classics.
    Same with the bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by pinpull View Post
    All I’ve read is that the plan is for banning the sale of new ICE cars and vans, nothing about motorcycles...

First the 4 wheelers, then the two.

Lots of development going into electric bikes too (unfortunately).

The bike dealer opposite work sell those Zero things, they are hideous

Yep, I expect so... so long as they give us at least 10 years notice after the 4-wheeler ban, that should see me out!

Or, onto a mobility scooter, which is the only electric vehicle I’ll ever park my butt on!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Went fully electric earlier this year with a Tesla Model 3 and a Renault Zoe ZE50. Don’t miss anything about ICE cars yet - these two cars replaced an Audi A6 Allroad Sport and a Mini Cooper S. Driving an ICE car after driving the Tesla in particular feels like going back to using a 1990s Nokia after using an iPhone. The difference is huge and a Tesla fees like the future. Drove the Tesla to our usual place in the Alps in August and the journey time was no longer than when we used to do it in the Audi. Drive 2-3 hours, stop for toilets, leg stretch and a snack and by the time you are ready to go the car has added enough charge for another 2-3 hours of driving. I’m no eco warrior and still love many ICE cars, and I’m sure will get a fun one for weekends at some point, but for daily driving in the UK an EV is hard to beat.

Happy with that. Still plenty of room in the middle there!

Master
    all this talk of v8's has given me a hankering to give this a run out but i cant because i have mothballed it for winter.its a 1976 TR7 V8.i built this over 30 years ago.the engine and gearbox came from a crashed rover SD1 3.5lr V8s.it has numerous modifications, far too many to go into here.i converted it into a 2+2 when my boys were tots,the eldest is 37 now.engine spec is 10-1 compression ratio,Kent fast road camshaft,8 branch straight through stainless exhaust.offenhauser inlet manifold,4 barrel Edelbrock carb.BPH unknown but the steering goes very light under hard acceleration .although i say it myself sounds awesome.i the few occassions i have thought about selling it,a drive being pushed back in the seat under acceleration and the lovely sound of the V8 has changed my mind.i have to say driving the thing nowadays scares me sh1tless but in a good way.there is a lot less testosterone in my veins now than when i built it. the pic does not show the true colour of the car,its more a ferrari red colour .the engine bay does not look very posh but in this area of the car for me its all about function.apologies for the prattling on.sorry no sound track but OOK has heard it run.cheers greasemonkey...
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 19th November 2020 at 19:27. Reason: spelin

Master
    When extolling the virtues over EV's I think the idea of clear skies and lungs is in part overshadowed by the utter environmental carnage caused by strip-mining for the required elements. Apparently 1 tonne of lithium also costs 500,000 gals of water...

Anyway, my guilty pleasure is my 115hp 2 stroke outboard. The smell, the noise, the acceleration are just fab!

I'll stick with ICE's till I'm forced not to.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I’ll miss being able to tow 800kg of horse plus 900kg of trailer across a wet field..

Well, there's the Tesla Cybertruck, Hummer EV or Rivan. All have monstrous towing capacities apparently. It's not something I've ever been concerned with so had to google but the cyber truck apparently has a max towing capacity of just over 4500kg and the Hummer has even more.

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against electric propulsion for the commute. Quiet, comfortable, what's not to like?
    It can also be devastatingly quick, but the character is totally different. All the foibles and drawbacks of driving an ICE, non linear torque and power curves, the need to be in the right gear at the right revs, are gone.
    Electric cars are technically better in every way except range, refuelling and longevity. For the first two of these they are good enough as ICE replacements for 99.999% of daily drives.

I like driving a car that doesn't have a perfect propulsion system. It gives you more to do and it's more satisfying when you get it right.
    If you want to go from A to B then electric is great. If you'd like to engage with the journey in between...

I love the smell of Two Stroke in the morning and will continue to do so.