closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 32 of 32

Thread: Navigator deployment clasp -- how is this supposed to fit?

  1. #1
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    51

    Question Navigator deployment clasp -- how is this supposed to fit?

    Hey all

    I just received my Navigator and Baby Dreadnought (RC24161022) in Amsterdam.

    Both are really beautiful watches. (Love the case on the Navigator; the Dread turns my wrist into a weapon ;)

    My question is HOW to best orient/fit the deployment clasp for the Navigator. I have small wrists (16cm/6.5"), so these issues may not apply to others:

    With the "tail in" (that's correct, yeah?), I don't know the purpose of the free loop, since the tail (on the inside) can't move.

    The clasp itself does NOT sit flat on my wrist, so there's a gap (see photo) and the band is somewhat lifted/stretched on one side by the clasp.

    Any advice? I've seen a lot of pix with new/different straps. I can do that, but this strap is indeed really nice. Maybe I should switch to a regular buckle?



    Last edited by davidzet; 17th November 2020 at 12:42. Reason: photos

  2. #2
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    12,889
    Deployants are a right PITA. Some work well and some don't. I'm sorry I can't work it out from your photos but I'm sure someone with the same watch will be along soon to help you.

  3. #3
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by davidzet View Post
    Hey all

    I just received my Navigator and Baby Dreadnought (RC24161022) in Amsterdam.

    Both are really beautiful watches. (Love the case on the Navigator; the Dread turns my wrist into a weapon ;)

    My question is HOW to best orient/fit the deployment clasp for the Navigator. I have small wrists (16cm/6.5"), so these issues may not apply to others:

    With the "tail in" (that's correct, yeah?), I don't know the purpose of the free loop, since the tail (on the inside) can't move.

    The clasp itself does NOT sit flat on my wrist, so there's a gap (see photo) and the band is somewhat lifted/stretched on one side by the clasp.

    Any advice? I've seen a lot of pix with new/different straps. I can do that, but this strap is indeed really nice. Maybe I should switch to a regular buckle?
    See Eddie's advice for adjusting the deployant clasp here: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5590349

    The secret to adjusting the strap/clasp on the supplied strap is not to try to feed the tail of the strap through but to position it and then pinch the sides of the strap to slide it into the recess on the clasp before locating the peg in the appropriate hole.

    Eddie

  4. #4
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by alx.lago View Post
    See Eddie's advice for adjusting the deployant clasp here: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5590349
    Yes, I saw/read that.

    I don't have any issues with fitting the tail to the clasp. I have issues with the clasp lifting the band off my wrist. If it was "form fitting", then the band would be snug.

  5. #5
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    46,999
    Quote Originally Posted by davidzet View Post
    Yes, I saw/read that.

    I don't have any issues with fitting the tail to the clasp. I have issues with the clasp lifting the band off my wrist. If it was "form fitting", then the band would be snug.
    That's what the oversized keeper is for, it will slide over the clasp and hold it flat.

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  6. #6
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    51

    Not enough girth?

    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    That's what the oversized keeper is for, it will slide over the clasp and hold it flat.

    Eddie
    Yes, that makes sense, but the clasp maybe needs more space than I can provide with a 6.5" wrist?



    ...as you can see, the clasp pulls the band "straight", thereby creating a "sharp" rather than gradual turn...

    Edit: I flexed the band a bit more, and I can see that further breaking in might help the clasp sit a bit closer... Time will tell ;)

    Beautiful watch and band btw :)
    Last edited by davidzet; 17th November 2020 at 19:09. Reason: Add photo and more info

  7. #7
    Grand Master Daddelvirks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Leiden- Netherlands
    Posts
    30,270
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by davidzet View Post
    Hey all

    I just received my Navigator and Baby Dreadnought (RC24161022) in Amsterdam.

    Both are really beautiful watches. (Love the case on the Navigator; the Dread turns my wrist into a weapon ;)

    My question is HOW to best orient/fit the deployment clasp for the Navigator. I have small wrists (16cm/6.5"), so these issues may not apply to others:

    With the "tail in" (that's correct, yeah?), I don't know the purpose of the free loop, since the tail (on the inside) can't move.

    The clasp itself does NOT sit flat on my wrist, so there's a gap (see photo) and the band is somewhat lifted/stretched on one side by the clasp.

    Any advice? I've seen a lot of pix with new/different straps. I can do that, but this strap is indeed really nice. Maybe I should switch to a regular buckle?




    But more importantly, why do you have it earlier than me? ;)
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

  8. #8
    Master colin t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,355
    Quote Originally Posted by davidzet View Post
    Yes, that makes sense, but the clasp maybe needs more space than I can provide with a 6.5" wrist?



    ...as you can see, the clasp pulls the band "straight", thereby creating a "sharp" rather than gradual turn...

    Edit: I flexed the band a bit more, and I can see that further breaking in might help the clasp sit a bit closer... Time will tell ;)

    Beautiful watch and band btw :)
    Maybe try fitting the watch around one of the harder (wrist shaped) watch cushions for a few days to encourage the leather to form into the requisite shape. This has worked more quickly for me than breaking in through normal wear.

  9. #9
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    But more importantly, why do you have it earlier than me? ;)
    I don't think I need to state the obvious, but Leiden before Amsterdam? Hahahahaha....



    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Maybe try fitting the watch around one of the harder (wrist shaped) watch cushions for a few days to encourage the leather to form into the requisite shape. This has worked more quickly for me than breaking in through normal wear.
    Good idea!

  10. #10
    Grand Master Daddelvirks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Leiden- Netherlands
    Posts
    30,270
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by davidzet View Post
    I don't think I need to state the obvious, but Leiden before Amsterdam? Hahahahaha....
    I beg to differ, maar lijden is het wel voor mij ;)
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

  11. #11
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Darlington. United Kingdom
    Posts
    73
    With deployant clasps, you can sometimes get a better fit by flipping it the other way around.

  12. #12
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    51

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    I beg to differ, maar lijden is het wel voor mij ;)
    Straks... straks -- komt jouw nieuwe vriend ;)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisK View Post
    With deployant clasps, you can sometimes get a better fit by flipping it the other way around.
    Don't think that's possible with this design.

    Edit: Nope. The clasp is bent and the strap can only fit one way...

  13. #13
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by davidzet View Post
    Straks... straks -- komt jouw nieuwe vriend ;)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Don't think that's possible with this design.

    Edit: Nope. The clasp is bent and the strap can only fit one way...
    Switching the position of the strap directly on the watch head will have the same effect. Worth a try ;)

  14. #14
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by davidzet View Post
    Yes, that makes sense, but the clasp maybe needs more space than I can provide with a 6.5" wrist?



    ...as you can see, the clasp pulls the band "straight", thereby creating a "sharp" rather than gradual turn...

    Edit: I flexed the band a bit more, and I can see that further breaking in might help the clasp sit a bit closer... Time will tell ;)

    Beautiful watch and band btw :)
    Mine arrived earlier today (Thu 19 Nov) and I'm in the same position with respect to the deployant clasp. I've got a 7" wrist and I think the end of the strap permanently attached to the clasp (not the end that you feed in) needs to be longer to work properly on my wrist. I even tried flipping the band so that the end with the clasp is attached to the 6 o'clock side without any benefit. Lovely looking watch though.

  15. #15
    Iíve no experience with this deployant clasp but I often canít get a comfortable fit with other deployants due to my small wrist size and shape. I find standard pin buckles much more comfortable so usually go down that route. It just seems some wrists arenít suited to some deployants 😀.

  16. #16
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    163
    I have a few other watches with deployant clasps but they are all of the double-fold "butterfly" style rather than this single fold style.

    I did have an Omega with a single fold clasp that fitted beautifully (long since moved on).

    The issue with this strap is that there is insufficient length in the piece permanently connected to the clasp which is a shame.
    Last edited by hbr245b; 20th November 2020 at 14:09.

  17. #17
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    14
    will you guys be changing the clasp to a butterfly clasp?

    or perhaps a rubber/silicon strap?

  18. #18
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by allanzzz View Post
    will you guys be changing the clasp to a butterfly clasp?

    or perhaps a rubber/silicon strap?
    I've changed the stock strap to a butterfly clasp which is a much improved setup on my 7" wrist (butterfly clasp is almost centered on the underside of the wrist).

  19. #19
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    51

    Getting used to it?

    Quote Originally Posted by allanzzz View Post
    will you guys be changing the clasp to a butterfly clasp?

    or perhaps a rubber/silicon strap?
    So I will look at other straps in the future, but it's working pretty well now. It's a different fit than I am used to (like a bracelet, but leather) but I am not minding it b/c (1) the head sites well on top of my wrist, (2) nothing "poking" out -- or me and (3) it seems VERY stable, like a bracelet.

    In fact, wait a sec...I just switched to a Barton strap, which fit more snugly, so I'd say the shipped strap+clasp just gives it a looser but "heavier" fit.

    So.... choices.

  20. #20
    Apprentice linus.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Bremen, Germany
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by hbr245b View Post
    The issue with this strap is that there is insufficient length in the piece permanently connected to the clasp which is a shame.
    Hear hear. That's the reason why I changed to an Expandro bracelet from the 1960s.

  21. #21
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    46,999
    I never realised that the strap was so wrist-size critical. I got the prototypes, adjusted the strap and put it on my 8,25" wrist and it fitted like a dream. Had there been any issues with fit and comfort on my wrist, I can assure you it would have been addressed before production. It seem like it's a bigger issue on smaller wrists.

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  22. #22
    Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    8,765
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I never realised that the strap was so wrist-size critical. I got the prototypes, adjusted the strap and put it on my 8,25" wrist and it fitted like a dream. Had there been any issues with fit and comfort on my wrist, I can assure you it would have been addressed before production. It seem like it's a bigger issue on smaller wrists.

    Eddie
    In fairness, 8.25" is quite a big wrist. What hole did you have it on? On my 7" wrist I've only got 2 holes spare to make it bigger, and 5 the other way. If the ratio was reversed it would be spot on

  23. #23
    Master inspector gadget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    2,145
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I never realised that the strap was so wrist-size critical. I got the prototypes, adjusted the strap and put it on my 8,25" wrist and it fitted like a dream. Had there been any issues with fit and comfort on my wrist, I can assure you it would have been addressed before production. It seem like it's a bigger issue on smaller wrists.

    Eddie
    I don't know what size my wrist is I have never had the issue before but I am on the last hole and the watch is sitting on the side of my wrist. Unusable so i have put it on a bracelet.

  24. #24
    Master colin t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,355
    I canít picture whether this would work or not, but would a tang buckle provide any useful solution to those with a smaller wrist?

    There might be some mileage in commissioning some SMITHS branded tang buckles, I think there are a fair few that would readily pay for one of these as an accessory.

  25. #25
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    46,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    In fairness, 8.25" is quite a big wrist. What hole did you have it on? On my 7" wrist I've only got 2 holes spare to make it bigger, and 5 the other way. If the ratio was reversed it would be spot on
    It's on the last hole which wouldn't be acceptable with a tang buckle but as the tail of the strap is on the inside of the clasp, it doesn't matter. The clasp is bang centre on the underside of my wrist.

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  26. #26
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Darlington. United Kingdom
    Posts
    73
    The problem with deployant clasps in general, is that they're quite dependent on three variables.

    1) Wrist size.
    2) The length of the short side of the strap in question.
    3) How long the clasp is.

    It's pot luck as to how these things all marry up together. Which is why I always buy custom straps to work with a deployant clasp. I also find that butterfly clasps work better with smaller wrists.

  27. #27
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Posts
    50

    men's wrist sizes

    This wrist size analysis might prove to be informative.
    https://theslenderwrist.com/average-...ize-for-a-man/

  28. #28
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    83
    I have ladies wrists and my buckle is bang in middle of underside of wrist and I think it's incredibly comfortable.
    Pin is in 5th hole.

  29. #29
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    163
    So there's the guvnor with his 8.25" wrists and the clasp is perfectly centered on the underside of his wrist and then there's @wallyuk with self-confessed "ladies" wrists who also claims the same thing.

    I'm somewhat puzzled as to how both of these statements can be true, given the apparent disparity in wrist size.

  30. #30
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    46,999
    Quote Originally Posted by hbr245b View Post
    So there's the guvnor with his 8.25" wrists and the clasp is perfectly centered on the underside of his wrist and then there's @wallyuk with self-confessed "ladies" wrists who also claims the same thing.

    I'm somewhat puzzled as to how both of these statements can be true, given the apparent disparity in wrist size.
    Well here's mine.



    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  31. #31
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Coulsdon
    Posts
    1,195
    My wrist is approximately 7”.

    Here’s my ‘clasp shot’.

    (Fantastic watch by the way )





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  32. #32
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Posts
    553
    Love the strap and the clasp is good quality but it doesn't sit well on my 6Ĺ" wrist either.
    I swapped the clasp for an 18mm butterfly clasp I already had on a strap from Steveostraps. It's got a smaller 'footprint' on the inside of my wrist.
    The existing keeper does it's job and the change of clasp makes the strap really wearable for me.
    I'm wearing it on the 3rd tightest hole.
    I had a look on Cousins UK and the clasp I have looks just like this one at £7.50.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information