closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Navigator deployment clasp -- how is this supposed to fit?

Journeyman

Question Navigator deployment clasp -- how is this supposed to fit?

Hey all

I just received my Navigator and Baby Dreadnought (RC24161022) in Amsterdam.

Both are really beautiful watches. (Love the case on the Navigator; the Dread turns my wrist into a weapon ;)

My question is HOW to best orient/fit the deployment clasp for the Navigator. I have small wrists (16cm/6.5"), so these issues may not apply to others:

With the "tail in" (that's correct, yeah?), I don't know the purpose of the free loop, since the tail (on the inside) can't move.

The clasp itself does NOT sit flat on my wrist, so there's a gap (see photo) and the band is somewhat lifted/stretched on one side by the clasp.

Any advice? I've seen a lot of pix with new/different straps. I can do that, but this strap is indeed really nice. Maybe I should switch to a regular buckle?

Last edited by davidzet; 17th November 2020 at 12:42. Reason: photos

Deployants are a right PITA. Some work well and some don't. I'm sorry I can't work it out from your photos but I'm sure someone with the same watch will be along soon to help you.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by davidzet View Post
    Hey all

Both are really beautiful watches. (Love the case on the Navigator; the Dread turns my wrist into a weapon ;)

My question is HOW to best orient/fit the deployment clasp for the Navigator. I have small wrists (16cm/6.5"), so these issues may not apply to others:

With the "tail in" (that's correct, yeah?), I don't know the purpose of the free loop, since the tail (on the inside) can't move.

The clasp itself does NOT sit flat on my wrist, so there's a gap (see photo) and the band is somewhat lifted/stretched on one side by the clasp.

Any advice? I've seen a lot of pix with new/different straps. I can do that, but this strap is indeed really nice. Maybe I should switch to a regular buckle?
    See Eddie's advice for adjusting the deployant clasp here: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5590349

The secret to adjusting the strap/clasp on the supplied strap is not to try to feed the tail of the strap through but to position it and then pinch the sides of the strap to slide it into the recess on the clasp before locating the peg in the appropriate hole.

Eddie

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by alx.lago View Post
    See Eddie's advice for adjusting the deployant clasp here: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5590349
    Yes, I saw/read that.

I don't have any issues with fitting the tail to the clasp. I have issues with the clasp lifting the band off my wrist. If it was "form fitting", then the band would be snug.

Yes, I saw/read that.

I don't have any issues with fitting the tail to the clasp. I have issues with the clasp lifting the band off my wrist. If it was "form fitting", then the band would be snug.
    That's what the oversized keeper is for, it will slide over the clasp and hold it flat.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Journeyman

Not enough girth?

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    That's what the oversized keeper is for, it will slide over the clasp and hold it flat.

Eddie
    Yes, that makes sense, but the clasp maybe needs more space than I can provide with a 6.5" wrist?

...as you can see, the clasp pulls the band "straight", thereby creating a "sharp" rather than gradual turn...

Edit: I flexed the band a bit more, and I can see that further breaking in might help the clasp sit a bit closer... Time will tell ;)

Beautiful watch and band btw :)
    Last edited by davidzet; 17th November 2020 at 19:09. Reason: Add photo and more info

Blog Entries
    Hey all

But more importantly, why do you have it earlier than me? ;)
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Yes, that makes sense, but the clasp maybe needs more space than I can provide with a 6.5" wrist?

...as you can see, the clasp pulls the band "straight", thereby creating a "sharp" rather than gradual turn...

Edit: I flexed the band a bit more, and I can see that further breaking in might help the clasp sit a bit closer... Time will tell ;)

Maybe try fitting the watch around one of the harder (wrist shaped) watch cushions for a few days to encourage the leather to form into the requisite shape. This has worked more quickly for me than breaking in through normal wear.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    But more importantly, why do you have it earlier than me? ;)
    I don't think I need to state the obvious, but Leiden before Amsterdam? Hahahahaha....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Maybe try fitting the watch around one of the harder (wrist shaped) watch cushions for a few days to encourage the leather to form into the requisite shape. This has worked more quickly for me than breaking in through normal wear.
    Good idea!

Blog Entries
    I don't think I need to state the obvious, but Leiden before Amsterdam? Hahahahaha....
    I beg to differ, maar lijden is het wel voor mij ;)
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Journeyman
    With deployant clasps, you can sometimes get a better fit by flipping it the other way around.

Journeyman

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    I beg to differ, maar lijden is het wel voor mij ;)
    Straks... straks -- komt jouw nieuwe vriend ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DennisK View Post
    With deployant clasps, you can sometimes get a better fit by flipping it the other way around.
    Don't think that's possible with this design.

Edit: Nope. The clasp is bent and the strap can only fit one way...

Journeyman
    Straks... straks -- komt jouw nieuwe vriend ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Don't think that's possible with this design.

Edit: Nope. The clasp is bent and the strap can only fit one way...
    Switching the position of the strap directly on the watch head will have the same effect. Worth a try ;)

Journeyman

Mine arrived earlier today (Thu 19 Nov) and I'm in the same position with respect to the deployant clasp. I've got a 7" wrist and I think the end of the strap permanently attached to the clasp (not the end that you feed in) needs to be longer to work properly on my wrist. I even tried flipping the band so that the end with the clasp is attached to the 6 o'clock side without any benefit. Lovely looking watch though.

I’ve no experience with this deployant clasp but I often can’t get a comfortable fit with other deployants due to my small wrist size and shape. I find standard pin buckles much more comfortable so usually go down that route. It just seems some wrists aren’t suited to some deployants 😀.

Journeyman
    I have a few other watches with deployant clasps but they are all of the double-fold "butterfly" style rather than this single fold style.

I did have an Omega with a single fold clasp that fitted beautifully (long since moved on).

The issue with this strap is that there is insufficient length in the piece permanently connected to the clasp which is a shame.
    Last edited by hbr245b; 20th November 2020 at 14:09.

Apprentice
    will you guys be changing the clasp to a butterfly clasp?

or perhaps a rubber/silicon strap?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by allanzzz View Post

I've changed the stock strap to a butterfly clasp which is a much improved setup on my 7" wrist (butterfly clasp is almost centered on the underside of the wrist).

Journeyman

Getting used to it?

Quote Originally Posted by allanzzz View Post

So I will look at other straps in the future, but it's working pretty well now. It's a different fit than I am used to (like a bracelet, but leather) but I am not minding it b/c (1) the head sites well on top of my wrist, (2) nothing "poking" out -- or me and (3) it seems VERY stable, like a bracelet.

In fact, wait a sec...I just switched to a Barton strap, which fit more snugly, so I'd say the shipped strap+clasp just gives it a looser but "heavier" fit.

So.... choices.

Quote Originally Posted by hbr245b View Post
    The issue with this strap is that there is insufficient length in the piece permanently connected to the clasp which is a shame.
    Hear hear. That's the reason why I changed to an Expandro bracelet from the 1960s.

I never realised that the strap was so wrist-size critical. I got the prototypes, adjusted the strap and put it on my 8,25" wrist and it fitted like a dream. Had there been any issues with fit and comfort on my wrist, I can assure you it would have been addressed before production. It seem like it's a bigger issue on smaller wrists.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I never realised that the strap was so wrist-size critical. I got the prototypes, adjusted the strap and put it on my 8,25" wrist and it fitted like a dream. Had there been any issues with fit and comfort on my wrist, I can assure you it would have been addressed before production. It seem like it's a bigger issue on smaller wrists.

Eddie
    In fairness, 8.25" is quite a big wrist. What hole did you have it on? On my 7" wrist I've only got 2 holes spare to make it bigger, and 5 the other way. If the ratio was reversed it would be spot on

Eddie
    I don't know what size my wrist is I have never had the issue before but I am on the last hole and the watch is sitting on the side of my wrist. Unusable so i have put it on a bracelet.

I can’t picture whether this would work or not, but would a tang buckle provide any useful solution to those with a smaller wrist?

There might be some mileage in commissioning some SMITHS branded tang buckles, I think there are a fair few that would readily pay for one of these as an accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    In fairness, 8.25" is quite a big wrist. What hole did you have it on? On my 7" wrist I've only got 2 holes spare to make it bigger, and 5 the other way. If the ratio was reversed it would be spot on
    It's on the last hole which wouldn't be acceptable with a tang buckle but as the tail of the strap is on the inside of the clasp, it doesn't matter. The clasp is bang centre on the underside of my wrist.

Eddie

Journeyman
    The problem with deployant clasps in general, is that they're quite dependent on three variables.

1) Wrist size.
    2) The length of the short side of the strap in question.
    3) How long the clasp is.

It's pot luck as to how these things all marry up together. Which is why I always buy custom straps to work with a deployant clasp. I also find that butterfly clasps work better with smaller wrists.

Journeyman

men's wrist sizes

This wrist size analysis might prove to be informative.
    https://theslenderwrist.com/average-...ize-for-a-man/

Journeyman
    I have ladies wrists and my buckle is bang in middle of underside of wrist and I think it's incredibly comfortable.
    Pin is in 5th hole.

Journeyman
    So there's the guvnor with his 8.25" wrists and the clasp is perfectly centered on the underside of his wrist and then there's @wallyuk with self-confessed "ladies" wrists who also claims the same thing.

I'm somewhat puzzled as to how both of these statements can be true, given the apparent disparity in wrist size.

Quote Originally Posted by hbr245b View Post
    So there's the guvnor with his 8.25" wrists and the clasp is perfectly centered on the underside of his wrist and then there's @wallyuk with self-confessed "ladies" wrists who also claims the same thing.

I'm somewhat puzzled as to how both of these statements can be true, given the apparent disparity in wrist size.
    Well here's mine.

Eddie

Master
    My wrist is approximately 7”.

Here’s my ‘clasp shot’.

(Fantastic watch by the way )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Love the strap and the clasp is good quality but it doesn't sit well on my 6½" wrist either.
    I swapped the clasp for an 18mm butterfly clasp I already had on a strap from Steveostraps. It's got a smaller 'footprint' on the inside of my wrist.
    The existing keeper does it's job and the change of clasp makes the strap really wearable for me.
    I'm wearing it on the 3rd tightest hole.
    I had a look on Cousins UK and the clasp I have looks just like this one at £7.50.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jason.humphrey.180 View Post
    Love the strap and the clasp is good quality but it doesn't sit well on my 6½" wrist either.
    I swapped the clasp for an 18mm butterfly clasp I already had on a strap from Steveostraps. It's got a smaller 'footprint' on the inside of my wrist.
    The existing keeper does it's job and the change of clasp makes the strap really wearable for me.
    I'm wearing it on the 3rd tightest hole.
    Nice swap. Thanks for the info!

Journeyman
    Mine was “out of reach” until today.

Started with the butterfly clasp but giving the single fold clasp another chance on my 7” wrist. My initial opinion from when I received the watch a few weeks ago may have been a little hasty as it looks and feels better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I tried to set mine up yesterday but the clasp just pops open when closed with almost no force. Anyone else experienced the same issue?