closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone been watching "The Crown?"

Anyone been watching "The Crown?"

The fourth season of "The Crown" has been released on Netflix. Has anyone been watching this series chronicling the reign of Queen Elizabeth II?

I just watched the first two episodes of Season 1, and I'm hooked!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    The fourth season of "The Crown" has been released on Netflix. Has anyone been watching this series chronicling the reign of Queen Elizabeth II?

Same like you: hooked. I have no idea about the historic correctness of what we see. But that doesn't matter to me. Having said that: we are both 'outsiders' (you USA and I'm from NED). Perhaps GBR viewers have a different idea about the (in)correctness of what is shown.

I've watched S 1-3 during the first lockdown period in March and I was ready for S 4 yesterday evening. Then my wife realised that she hadn't seen S 3. You guessed it: before we can see 4, S 3 has to be run again. Pity, because 4 has Gillian Anderson as Thatcher.

Will start s4 this evening, no spoilers please.

What I like about Crown and other tv series is that BBC knows how to recreate period atmosphere of early and middle of 20th century.

I would think that most of it is accurate since there is a treasure trove of books, news articles, photos, film, etc. documenting the events.

The production values are sky high. So much so, that it looks much better than the first time round to those of us who remember seeing these events unfold on analogue PAL 4:3 BBC broadcasts of the time.

I find Olivia Coleman as Queen unconvincing, too much Sophie not enough Elizabeth. But for every scene she drains, there is Helena Bonham-Carter to light up another. Likewise, Gillian Anderson as Thatcher is over actorly, head permanently cocked to the side. But it is possible this is deliberate to show her character's confidence progress, and she will loosen up as episodes unfold. (Her husband Dennis, played by Stephen Boxer, is far more convincing for playing it more subtly)

Series 1 and 2 were the standouts for me. Maybe once Coleman has hung up her crown for Series 5, it will reach those heights again.

S4 is excellent, we binged 5 episodes yesterday, the casting is very good, I was a little unsure about Anderson as Maggie but I’m warming to her, as someone who grew up in the era that is set in s4, it’s all very relatable.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I thought series 1 & 2 were excellent, 3 not so much and 4 hasn't impressed me yet. We're only on episode 2 so I'll give it time!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I thought series 1 & 2 were excellent, 3 not so much and 4 hasn't impressed me yet. We're only on episode 2 so I'll give it time!
    Completely agree with this. Really looking forward to series 4 but watched the first and second episodes last night and wasn’t particularly grabbed by it. Hopefully will get more engaged as go through it - I feel they seemed more likeable/entertaining in previous series.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    Completely agree with this. Really looking forward to series 4 but watched the first and second episodes last night and wasn’t particularly grabbed by it. Hopefully will get more engaged as go through it - I feel they seemed more likeable/entertaining in previous series.
    We (my wife and I) were discussing this over breakfast: with the shift to more modern times, it will become harder to 'convince the audience' simply because most of us have their own memories about that era and circumstances.

I noticed as well that as we get nearer the present - that fewer and fewer characters who are none-royals and are still alive actually say anything...

I suspect the ones that do they very carefully make sure they only do dramatic things that carefully match up with what they themselves have said or written about in say an autobiography.

Master

I'm not a fan of the monarchy as an institution, or indeed the Royal Family themselves, but with beautiful timing I finished the third series last week, so I'll be watching the first of the fourth very soon.

I enjoyed the first two series more than the third, mainly for two reasons I think. Firstly, Claire Foy's portrayal of Brenda is absolutely brilliant, and secondly the '50s and '60s scenery and attitudes are a bit more interesting than the '70s for me. The attention to detail is phenomenal and the whole period feel seems spot on.

As a huge fan of Margaret Thatcher I must admit I feel slightly anxious to see how she's portrayed in the fourth series.

The casting of Gillian Anderson as Thatcher is a serious dereliction of duty. She's way too hot to play Thatcher.

I've literally never, ever, heard anyone say that. Let's hope they portray her as the despicable, heartless tyrant she was.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post

As a huge fan of Margaret Thatcher

Master
    Special mention as well for the guy who played Harold Wilson - he doesn't really look like him but to me he channelled his spirit and character really well. I'd forgotten that Wilson had two goes at the top job; something that's probably not possible now that a resignation on losing an election is almost a formality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I've literally never, ever, heard anyone say that. Let's hope they portray her as the despicable, heartless tyrant she was.
    You must have been very confused in the 1980s when she'd won three elections in a row, as indeed you clearly are now.

Do you even know what the word "tyrant" means? Actually you've already answered that question for me. No, you don't.

Master
    Really enjoyed S1 & S2 but interested petered out in S3 .. no idea why .. but still a great series for sure. Lithgow was great as Churchill I thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Special mention as well for the guy who played Harold Wilson - he doesn't really look like him but to me he channelled his spirit and character really well. I'd forgotten that Wilson had two goes at the top job; something that's probably not possible now that a resignation on losing an election is almost a formality.

- - - Updated - - -

You must have been very confused in the 1980s when she'd won three elections in a row, as indeed you clearly are now.

Do you even know what the word "tyrant" means? Actually you've already answered that question for me. No, you don't.
    Hard to accept that she was a massively divisive figure?

I was indeed confused in the 80s when she kept winning, in the same way I'm confused now that people voted for this shower. But please don't insult my intelligence and do try not to be rude, it's uncalled for. A 'cruel and oppressive leader' hits the nail on the head, although it depends whether you're from her favoured South or the disposable North.

Anyway, let's end this tittle-tattle as the thread is about The Crown.

Journeyman
    I've been meaning to watch this - heard that Josh O'conner is magnificent as Charles

Journeyman
    My partner was saying the Clare Foy & Matt Smith were amaing as QE2 & Prince Phillip.... Maybe S3 missed them?
    Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    Really enjoyed S1 & S2 but interested petered out in S3 .. no idea why .. but still a great series for sure. Lithgow was great as Churchill I thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Hard to accept that she was a massively divisive figure?

Master
    I thought this was going to be another thread about how much attention people had been paying to crown alignment etc. I'll get me coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ummar01 View Post
    My partner was saying the Clare Foy & Matt Smith were amaing as QE2 & Prince Phillip.... Maybe S3 missed them?
    Agreed, I thought Matt Smith was excellent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Without going into her record as a politician, did Thatcher really speak like that in private? I've only ever heard her in interviews or official speeches, and I always though her strange tone and diction was put on for those occasions rather than the way she actually spoke with people.

Master
    Never heard Eddie refer to the 'Blessed Margeret' ?

I’ve not seen it, not my thing, but I did just read this article.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...e_iOSApp_Other

Master
    The casting of Gillian Anderson as Thatcher is a serious dereliction of duty. She's way too hot to play Thatcher.
    Actually Margaret Thatcher was someone of whom I had unbecoming thoughts and yes I would have coupled with her.

Also we signed up to Netflix about 3 weeks ago and have binged on "The Crown" and find it rather addictive.

You’re a sick, sick man.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Actually Margaret Thatcher was someone of whom I had unbecoming thoughts and yes I would have coupled with her.

Also we signed up to Netflix about 3 weeks ago and have binged on "The Crown" and find it rather addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

From the album ‘Ad Nauseam‘ (1978).

Clive:
    I’ll tell you what the, er, Cons-servative Party should do in the, er, next general election.
    Derek:
    Yeah, go on then.
    Clive:
    I’ll tell you what would, er, really get the electorate going, if, is that, er, that Maggie Thatcher just flashed her tits about.
    Derek:
    (chuckles)
    Clive:
    No, don’t laugh, ’cause, I mean, frankly they’re-, they’re firm, they’re hard and they’re-, they’re f***ing beautiful.
    Derek:
    Hm.
    Clive:
    I’ve never seen them but you can see from the, er,…
    Derek:
    (clears throat)
    Clive:
    …you know, from the pictures in the papers and that are on television…
    Derek:
    Yeah.
    Cheers..
    Jase

At the beginning of Season 1, I was dismayed that Elizabeth wasn't shown in her WWII service, which I think would be important to further enlighten the viewer as to her character formation.

Agreed.

I've only watched two episodes of series 4 so far.

Every time Gillian Anderson appears as MT, I can only 'see' Janet Brown's impersonation of said PM. I don't know if that makes GA's acting successful or not...

There's various clips of Janet on YT, here's an example:

______

​Jim.

I have a similar impression - that Gillian Anderson is not basing her performance on the reality of MT but on every parody and pastiche of her, including Spitting Image.

I have to say that GA has completely mastered Maggie's 'suffering with Chalfonts' walking style
    ______

​Jim.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I've only watched two episodes of series 4 so far.

Every time Gillian Anderson appears as MT, I can only 'see' Janet Brown's impersonation of said PM. I don't know if that makes GA's acting successful or not...

There's various clips of Janet on YT, here's an example:

She even did it in a Bond film!

Craftsman

Great Series

I’ve never really seen myself as a period drama type but thoroughly enjoyed the whole series as I did with Downton Abbey. I’m sure there are inaccuracies, it is a drama foremost not a history lesson. I thought episode 7 was very poignant and Helena Bonham-Carter excelled as Margaret.

Quote Originally Posted by hops View Post
    I’ve never really seen myself as a period drama type but thoroughly enjoyed the whole series as I did with Downton Abbey. I’m sure there are inaccuracies, it is a drama foremost not a history lesson. I thought episode 7 was very poignant and Helena Bonham-Carter excelled as Margaret.
    Back in the 1970s, Margaret had a fling with a guy younger than me...17 years her junior!

Blog Entries
    Nah, it's a load of rubbish, made up and invented carp.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Nah, it's a load of rubbish, made up and invented carp.
    Bah humbug! She was in more beds than Christine Keeler!

I thought the best of the lot was Bleak House.

Quote Originally Posted by hops View Post

Well, Mrs. PC and I just finished Season 4. We both found Gillian Anderson dreadful as Maggie. It was like she was in a high school play! Terrible.

I realize British and American accents are quite different, but the guys playing Charles and Philip talked like their mouths were full of tiny sea shells...no lips moving, just slosh!

Agree that Claire Foy should have starred in S-4. Makeup artists could have easily aged her through the 1980s. The shift from Foy to Colman was a chasm too great to manage.

Helena Bonham Carter was excellent as Margaret.

I was constantly bothered by the lack of "height" accuracy. Charles and Dianna were said to be the same height: 5'10", but there is a huge 5" difference between the 5'8" Emma Corrin and the 6'1" Josh O'Connor.

Weird how the Season 5 Dianna (Elizabeth Debicki) will be 6'3"...a 7" growth as an adult!

I must say I was quite surprised that the dialog included veiled threats against Dianna, certainly suggesting the Crown's role in her death. As an American, I'm not really up on the "fact-checking" or validity of this conspiracy theory. Anyone care to comment on the status of this issue in the UK?

If you are watching this latest series of the Crown i'd suggest this podcast with Jennie Bond, journalist. An interesting listen to go alongside the TV series.

The broadcaster Jennie Bond has reported on the royals for more 30 years. She talks to Anushka Asthana about the accuracy of The Crown, and discusses her interactions with the Queen, her close relationship with Diana, Princess of Wales, and why she feels the portrayal of Charles is perhaps the least realistic. “He comes over as a bit more of a wimp than the Charles I know,” Bond says.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...act-or-fiction

Well, Mrs. PC and I just finished Season 4. We both found Gillian Anderson dreadful as Maggie. It was like she was in a high school play! Terrible.

I must say I was quite surprised that the dialog included veiled threats against Dianna, certainly suggesting the Crown's role in her death. As an American, I'm not really up on the "fact-checking" or validity of this conspiracy theory. Anyone care to comment on the status of this issue in the UK?
    I've not been watching this, but I thought Anderson's voice and appearance, at least, were pretty darned close - For one moment as I passed through the room, I wondered if my wife was watching something with Thatcher speaking in.

Everyone knows that Prince Philip was driving the Fiat that barged Fayed's Mercedes off the road and then stepped out and shot Diana three times, don't they?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Everyone knows that Prince Philip was driving the Fiat that barged Fayed's Mercedes off the road and then stepped out and shot Diana three times, don't they?

M
    I didn't know that!

I’m struggling with the cast of S3. I can’t see why they couldn’t have stuck with the original cast who were far superior.

I’m half way through S4 and am loving it. The cast change was a struggle but really enjoying them now. I’m pleased to see the writers are showing Thatcher as the monster she was.