closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 197

Thread: PRS-25 Everest with Acrylic Crystal

  1. #101
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by fogar View Post
    I am considering trying with a HW Sternkreuz 31.4 crystal. Any clue if that one would fit?
    Thatís the size of the aperture so should do.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #102
    Journeyman fogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    London
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Thatís the size of the aperture so should do.
    Thanks!

  3. #103
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by fogar View Post
    I am considering trying with a HW Sternkreuz 31.4 crystal. Any clue if that one would fit?
    This is this exact reference I have put on mine.

  4. #104
    Craftsman redhed18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    309
    I've got the following inbound and at some point will see about getting a watchmaker to install
    Hopefully one of them is suitable!

    Sternkreuz ATCH Silver Armed High Dome
    Stella Gilted ~ this would be like a Sternkreuz "ATGR"
    GS - XHD - "Extra High Dome"
    GS - PHD - "Flexo Hi-Dome"
    GS - PHD/LT - "Lok-Tite - Hi-Dome"
    GS - PA467-35 - 31.37mm - Omega High Dome

    As far as I can tell the ATCH I bought vs the ATCR that was used already in this thread, is just the size/height?


  5. #105
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed18 View Post
    I've got the following inbound and at some point will see about getting a watchmaker to install
    Hopefully one of them is suitable!

    Sternkreuz ATCH Silver Armed High Dome
    Stella Gilted ~ this would be like a Sternkreuz "ATGR"
    GS - XHD - "Extra High Dome"
    GS - PHD - "Flexo Hi-Dome"
    GS - PHD/LT - "Lok-Tite - Hi-Dome"
    GS - PA467-35 - 31.37mm - Omega High Dome

    As far as I can tell the ATCH I bought vs the ATCR that was used already in this thread, is just the size/height?

    Yes the ATCH is taller I think. Also the tension ring is wider/thicker as per my earlier illustration (below) which will leave a stepped effected against the rehaut which will require more material removing vs the recessed tension ring I used and modified. The ATCR is already quite tall - I can take a side profile shot of it installed if you need?





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #106
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,171
    In fact, here you go:




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #107
    Apprentice KevG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Malvern, UK
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed18 View Post
    Hi KevG,

    Any chance you found out which crystal you used?

    Thanks!

    PS. well I winged it and ordered 6 different crystals from eBay... TBD!
    He didn't get back to me so just asked again.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using TZ-UK mobile app

  8. #108
    Journeyman fogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    London
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamaw View Post
    This is this exact reference I have put on mine.
    Thanks for your feedback! It is really useful to keep a list of compatible references for others who might want to go down the plexy route

  9. #109
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    119
    Hi Gent

    Could you please let us know whats the overall thickness now with the acrylic crystal fitted. Thanks.

    Looks fab by the way.



    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    In fact, here you go:




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #110
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxsash View Post
    Hi Gent

    Could you please let us know whats the overall thickness now with the acrylic crystal fitted. Thanks.

    Looks fab by the way.
    13.4mm vs the original 11.3mm

    Because itís domed though it really doesnít wear as tall as the dimensions suggest.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #111
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    119
    Hi Gent,

    Thanks for the measurement. To be honest that less that I expected and is good news to me.

    Ive heard the Explorers won't be available for a little while yet too.

    The crystal swop is a great looking modification.


    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    13.4mm vs the original 11.3mm

    Because itís domed though it really doesnít wear as tall as the dimensions suggest.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Yes the ATCH is taller I think. Also the tension ring is wider/thicker as per my earlier illustration (below) which will leave a stepped effected against the rehaut which will require more material removing vs the recessed tension ring I used and modified. The ATCR is already quite tall - I can take a side profile shot of it installed if you need?





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi Gent,

    I just got my ATCR Sternkruez 31.4 crystal from Cousins.

    Quick question on the mod. Do I just get a watchmaker to install with a crystal press and thatís it or is there any need to file/dremel away any edges? I am hoping itís just simple install. Thanks in advance for clarification.

    Now I am just waiting to get my hands on the next batch of Everest when stock arrives in Feb.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #113
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkiefreakie View Post
    Hi Gent,

    I just got my ATCR Sternkruez 31.4 crystal from Cousins.

    Quick question on the mod. Do I just get a watchmaker to install with a crystal press and thatís it or is there any need to file/dremel away any edges? I am hoping itís just simple install. Thanks in advance for clarification.

    Now I am just waiting to get my hands on the next batch of Everest when stock arrives in Feb.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    I modded the tension ring as per my 2nd post in this thread. Happy to explain further if you need though?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #114
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,171
    A few shots at sunset today...







    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post


    I modded the tension ring as per my 2nd post in this thread. Happy to explain further if you need though?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gent, thanks. I reread the post and clearer to me now. If I understood correctly, you removed the tension ring that came with ACTR 314 crystal and flipped it upside down?

    Is that correct or did you buy a separate tension ring? If separate tension ring can you let me know the part number so I can get from cousins. Tks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #116
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkiefreakie View Post
    Gent, thanks. I reread the post and clearer to me now. If I understood correctly, you removed the tension ring that came with ACTR 314 crystal and flipped it upside down?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thatís absolutely correct. But I also used a dremel to thin the tension ring so it was the same thickness throughout (ie, removed the lip), and so it had a brushed finished rather than polished. Again, let me know if that is clear, happy to explain further if needed.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #117
    Not for me this, looks to big, too much dome maybe it's the light?

    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

  18. #118
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Not for me this, looks to big, too much dome maybe it's the light?

    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    It is quite a high dome yes


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #119
    Certainly interesting

    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

  20. #120
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,171
    Itís a bit deceptive in photographs, rather like a moonwatch, at some angles it looks very domed. Iíve tried to take as many photos as I can to show that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #121
    Journeyman fogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    London
    Posts
    134
    Looking as good as it should. I can't wait for the shops to open again, take some normality back into our lives and get the swap done.

  22. #122
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    32,847
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    It is quite a high dome yes

    It might be of interest to measure the watch "with the dome" (13.38) and "without the dome" (?) to get the height of the actual dome on the watch.




    PS The Expedition in some early pics looked like it had a proper dome. But upon the arrival of mine it looked pretty normal.



    One of the early pics by Mr Rev.
    Your watch matters

  23. #123
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    It might be of interest to measure the watch "with the dome" (13.38) and "without the dome" (?) to get the height of the actual dome on the watch.




    PS The Expedition in some early pics looked like it had a proper dome. But upon the arrival of mine it looked pretty normal.



    One of the early pics by Mr Rev.
    11.3mm is the dimensions on the original drawing. I could measure my expedition to compare though (which Iím also thinking to upgrade to acrylic )


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #124
    Craftsman redhed18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    That’s absolutely correct. But I also used a dremel to thin the tension ring so it was the same thickness throughout (ie, removed the lip), and so it had a brushed finished rather than polished. Again, let me know if that is clear, happy to explain further if needed.
    How in the world did you manage to evenly dremel the surface of the ring as you described?

    I just can't fathom how to hold everything still and then go at it... and arrive at a uniform end-result

    thanks!
    Last edited by redhed18; 31st January 2021 at 17:12.

  25. #125
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed18 View Post
    How in the world did you manage to evenly dremel the surface of the ring as you described?

    I just can't fathom how to hold everything still and then go at it... and arrive at a uniform end-result

    thanks!
    Haha - mainly with a steady hand and taking my time.
    I feel a full tutorial coming on...?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  26. #126
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    317
    Looks great.

    Coming from a position of extremely limited watch-making knowledge, is it possible to source/fit a sapphire crystal without the milky ring effect for one of these ?

  27. #127
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    Looks great.

    Coming from a position of extremely limited watch-making knowledge, is it possible to source/fit a sapphire crystal without the milky ring effect for one of these ?
    Yes, a double domed crystal would achieve it, something with this profile:



    I struggled to find one with the correct thickness for a sensible price.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  28. #128
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    32,847
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Yes, a double domed crystal would achieve it, something with this profile:



    I struggled to find one with the correct thickness for a sensible price.

    I wonder why Timefactors is not using this type of sapphire in their watches? I think most people would gladly pay extra for it.
    Your watch matters

  29. #129
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    I wonder why Timefactors is not using this type of sapphire in their watches? I think most people would gladly pay extra for it.
    I think because it doesnít have the so-called hi-dome profile that is more like acrylic, in the style of the speedmaster with the acrylic / sapphire.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  30. #130
    Journeyman fogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    London
    Posts
    134


    It can be done, maybe not at this pricepoint

  31. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    I wonder why Timefactors is not using this type of sapphire in their watches? I think most people would gladly pay extra for it.
    Rolex don't use AR coating, allegedly because they believe the crystal is part of the design of s watch and they don't want it to disappear, Omega used clear coating on the Railmaster , didn't do much as you can still see the crystal sparkle. Loads of reasons. Personally I think the dome in the above example looks over done, it's all just personal preference. I do like a subtle dome sapphire though

    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

  32. #132
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by fogar View Post


    It can be done, maybe not at this pricepoint
    Yes, Sinn manage it too with the 356, but itís expensive.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  33. #133
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Doncaster
    Posts
    888
    Fascinating thread. Iím impressed by the ingenuity on here. Whether you like the finished result or not the work is to be applauded

  34. #134
    Love the acrylic look but Iíve got a few watches with acrylic crystal and so Iíd prefer Timefactors stick with sapphire crystal. Adds more weight to a watch too.

  35. #135
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtons99 View Post
    Fascinating thread. Iím impressed by the ingenuity on here. Whether you like the finished result or not the work is to be applauded
    Was certainly an interesting project!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  36. #136
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by theflyingfisherman View Post
    Love the acrylic look but Iíve got a few watches with acrylic crystal and so Iíd prefer Timefactors stick with sapphire crystal. Adds more weight to a watch too.
    Itís certainly one of the most divisive topics in the watch collecting world. I 100% understand the shift towards sapphire, and I think for a lot of people it is the right answer. On a watch with vintage styling, for me, acrylic always wins.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  37. #137
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    32,847
    This is interesting.

    Analysing the Bell & Ross BR V2-94 Chronograph crystal with the SAM
    https://deployant.com/analysing-the-...-with-the-sam/
    Your watch matters

  38. #138
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Denmark, Odense
    Posts
    63

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Evening! Iíve spoken to a couple of members here whoíve been keen on the idea of modifying the PRS-25 from a Sapphire to an Acrylic Crystal. I thought Iíd give it a go.

    Using dimensions provided from one of the case drawings and post #135 here (https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Smiths-Everest) I set about ordering some tension ring acrylic crystals in several diameters above and below the suggested 31.5mm.

    A bit of trial and error letter, and a bit of adjustment to a tension ring with a dremel tool and.... success. My chief concern was getting water resistance with a acrylic crystal. But the tension ring helps there. I checked the case in the testing tank (up to 6bar) before reassembly - no issues.

    Here are some photos of the completed watch:









    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks stunning - so, so much better than sapphire. It makes the watch.

  39. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    I was wondering whether a three piece case might be possible, with two bezels / crystals: one sapphire one acrylic. Screw on fit. (A bit like the way Eddie is offering the two casebacks with the monopusher, "solid" and display.)
    I think I might patent that idea. The more I think about it the more I like it.

  40. #140
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    I think I might patent that idea. The more I think about it the more I like it.
    Itís an excellent idea. The case design would be a challenge as the bezel and crystal assembly would need to be able to be screwed into place with a grippable surface.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  41. #141
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Mads Gorm View Post
    Looks stunning - so, so much better than sapphire. It makes the watch.
    Thanks so much, and agreed!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  42. #142

    PRS-25 Everest with Acrylic Crystal

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Thatís absolutely correct. But I also used a dremel to thin the tension ring so it was the same thickness throughout (ie, removed the lip), and so it had a brushed finished rather than polished. Again, let me know if that is clear, happy to explain further if needed.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Everest just landed, now to go find a watchmaker whoí is game to do the tension ring dremel mod as described to complete the 1016 lookalike.....but may enjoy watch for a couple of weeks before voiding the warranty. Must say I really like it as is...can only imagine once the acrylic is on.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by trekkiefreakie; 15th February 2021 at 09:50.

  43. #143
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkiefreakie View Post
    My Everest just landed, now to go find a watchmaker whoí is game to do the tension ring dremel mod as described to complete the 1016 lookalike.....but may enjoy watch for a couple of weeks before voiding the warranty. Must say I really like it as is...can only imagine once the acrylic is on.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If only you lived more local to me

    Enjoy this fantastic watch!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  44. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Itís an excellent idea. The case design would be a challenge as the bezel and crystal assembly would need to be able to be screwed into place with a grippable surface.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think a caseback "ball" would do it? Would need a decent o-ring gasket, too, I think for WR.

  45. #145
    Journeyman fogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    London
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkiefreakie View Post
    My Everest just landed, now to go find a watchmaker whoí is game to do the tension ring dremel mod as described to complete the 1016 lookalike.....but may enjoy watch for a couple of weeks before voiding the warranty. Must say I really like it as is...can only imagine once the acrylic is on.
    I really like the new hands and the way they play with light.

  46. #146
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    If only you lived more local to me

    Enjoy this fantastic watch!
    Thanks for the kind offer

    Quote Originally Posted by fogar View Post
    I really like the new hands and the way they play with light.
    Indeed, seems to have a slight bevel in the minute hand.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  47. #147
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Devils Den, CA
    Posts
    38
    Acrylic looks great but keep in mine the scratches. I also have a Zeno and have to baby it too much not to mention the high level of care I give my vintage Omega 300 with acrylic too. Looks great but having sapphire is a big plus. Just my two cents. But your modded one looks fantastic.

  48. #148
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by mario24601 View Post
    Acrylic looks great but keep in mine the scratches. I also have a Zeno and have to baby it too much not to mention the high level of care I give my vintage Omega 300 with acrylic too. Looks great but having sapphire is a big plus. Just my two cents. But your modded one looks fantastic.
    Yes agreed it is certainly much more scratchable (is that even a word?!) than sapphire, but itís tougher than itís given credit for in my experience. I have handled lots of vintage watches that are 60+ years old which have cases with plenty of marks and scuffs on so have clearly been used and worn and the original crystals are pretty clean.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  49. #149
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Denmark, Odense
    Posts
    63

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Yes agreed it is certainly much more scratchable (is that even a word?!) than sapphire, but itís tougher than itís given credit for in my experience. I have handled lots of vintage watches that are 60+ years old which have cases with plenty of marks and scuffs on so have clearly been used and worn and the original crystals are pretty clean.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk




    When a crystal ďmakesĒ or "brakes" the watch.

  50. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by Mads Gorm View Post
    "The Explorer is most famous for its inclusion on the first summiting of Mount Everest in 1953."

    Oh ffs.

    There was no watch called the Explorer in May 1953.

    And there was no Rolex on the summit until much, much later.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information